Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Really? There's somewhere else I can go? I thought I had to go down there and ring the second bell. I can't see where else I'd go from the first bonfire (firelink?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

quote:

Now you'll probably remember you've been to the Undead Burg before, and if you're really good at remembering stuff, you'll remember you found a key called the Basement Key near the giant drawbridge gate in front of the Undead Parish.

This key can be used just before the bridge where the Hellkite Wyvern resides, right next to where you found Knight Solaire staring off into the sunset. Make your way up there, use your key and - hey presto - the entrance to the lower Undead Burg is revealed!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Dark Souls is infamous for making it easy for the player to go in the wrong direction, especially since "everyone says it's super hard!" so people ignore their instinct that something is amiss. There are some other areas you can explore around the Undead Burg and Undead Parish.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Going straight from Firelink Shrine to the Skeleton Fun Zone is a rite of passage by this point.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hey, yeah, this brings back memories!

Dieting Hippo posted:

Going straight from Firelink Shrine to the Skeleton Fun Zone is a rite of passage by this point.

Oh man those skeletons donked me up until I found a different way to go!

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
I got my OLED Switch last night and this morning I found out I can’t play BotW on the subway if I don’t want to miss my stop.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dieting Hippo posted:

Uhhh, it's canonically known as the "Boned 'n Owned Groan Zone", hth.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Really? There's somewhere else I can go? I thought I had to go down there and ring the second bell. I can't see where else I'd go from the first bonfire (firelink?)

the OG dark souls has a fair amount of jank. persevere, though, it's incredibly rewarding.

keep explorin' round the burg. there's a door near where you first meet Solaire and the big red dragon on the bridge that you should be able to find a key for...

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098TVDYZ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PIcked up an OLED (white) from amazon here this morning, sold at USRP from amazon UK, not a reseller. Thought I'd link it here in case others were looking. Good luck.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

bear named tators posted:

I got my OLED Switch last night and this morning I found out I can’t play BotW on the subway if I don’t want to miss my stop.

That's Gods way of telling u u weren't supposed to work today but instea u were meant to game

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
My son and I just finished Broforce. I played it solo , “finished” it, and somehow never even got to the alien invasion parts. :wth:

Is there anything even remotely similar? He also loved Streets of Rogue.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

My son and I just finished Broforce. I played it solo , “finished” it, and somehow never even got to the alien invasion parts. :wth:

Well, the Contra anniversary collection is good. It's less crazy, but Mercenary Kings is excellent.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

Blazing Chrome.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, the Contra anniversary collection is good. It's less crazy, but Mercenary Kings is excellent.
Just make sure not to get Contra Rogue Corps, that one is bad

Besides the Contra Anniversary Collection and Blazing Chrome as an excellent Contra clone, there is also:

Cuphead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwF67xkNSn8

Metal Slug series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb0omMoBUGs

Huntdown (slightly more tactical where you have to duck into cover and use weapons wisely)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tbZ_5RVINA

20XX (a megaman clone roguelike with coop)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TggPHpNgP64

Mechstermination Force (pretty much a contra boss rush)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8wSVLerWB4

Trigger Witch (overhead shooter)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7RqrcQgiQg

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
why do people say that third party controllers don't turn the switch on when i use my 8-bitdo to do so all the time?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Party Miser posted:

why do people say that third party controllers don't turn the switch on when i use my 8-bitdo to do so all the time?

Because you seem to have a hacked one, my SN30Pro+ nor my SN30Pro 2 8bitdo can do it. They also take longer to sync than a Nintendo brand one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
One of my SF30's just refuses to pair with my switch now and I have no idea how fix it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

One of my SF30's just refuses to pair with my switch now and I have no idea how fix it.

Connect it to a computer and update the firmware and try again. You can also remap buttons in the software.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

pixaal posted:

Connect it to a computer and update the firmware and try again. You can also remap buttons in the software.

I already updated the firmware after both of my controllers were doing it. After updating them, now just one of them doesn't connect. It works fine if I plug it in via USB to the switch dock though.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

pixaal posted:

Because you seem to have a hacked one, my SN30Pro+ nor my SN30Pro 2 8bitdo can do it. They also take longer to sync than a Nintendo brand one.

weird that it came hacked out of the box from best buy

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’m about 15 hours into Dragon Quest XI and have been using auto battle most of the time. At this point it feels like I’m just watching the game instead of playing. Do you all use this or switch back and forth in certain situations?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm playing through Dark Souls Remastered for the first time, after hearing it's the Dark Souls of Dark Souls.

So far the "difficulty" is atrocious, not because it's genuinely difficult like say Ninja Gaiden, but because it's janky as hell. I mean, loving ghosts that can hit you through walls and floors and can insta-grab you for 70% damage? Artificial bullshit.

It's actually an excellent game, I loved the level design and yeah there are hard areas, and you probably shouldn't be there. I didn't find that janky.

Fly Ricky posted:

I mean if you want a beat 'em up get Streets of Rage 4 (and reading this again I just remembered that's not what Streets of Rogue is at all like).

Still get Streets of Rage 4.

Kinda crazy you can't even just post titles and your own descriptions. I'm surprised you have so many videos on hand. But why get this when you can just get Nuclear Throne? That's a fantastic shooter, if tough.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

loudog999 posted:

I’m about 15 hours into Dragon Quest XI and have been using auto battle most of the time. At this point it feels like I’m just watching the game instead of playing. Do you all use this or switch back and forth in certain situations?

The boss battles later on can get pretty involved but for regular battles you can just go nuts with the auto battle. Personally I find a fun way to approach that is to control the hero manually and have everyone else set to auto.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

loudog999 posted:

You can crank up the difficulty if it’s too easy. I generally auto battle and enjoy the mindless grinding. It’s a form of relaxation and brings me joy to see the numbers go up after putting in “effort”.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d feel cheated if ghosts couldn’t hit me through walls like they’re taking me for a fool by not using their natural abilities.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

loudog999 posted:

Skip more battles to underlevel a little bit, so every fight gets more challenging and meaningful. I auto battled less and less as the game went on, mostly to preserve MP.

re: 8bitdo pairing, my Pro+ confused me for months until I noticed that I was booting the controller on the wrong mode all the time. A particular button combination boots into Windows mode, another for Switch, and so on, and if you just press start it will automatically attempt to boot into the last used setting. Hell my PC will pair to it in either mode, and the inputs change accordingly from Nintendo to Xbox style.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 1, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

loudog999 posted:

I usually just play it manually - if I watched it it would just be like watching a long movie except at certain points I can move the character around

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Kinda crazy you can't even just post titles and your own descriptions. I'm surprised you have so many videos on hand. But why get this when you can just get Nuclear Throne? That's a fantastic shooter, if tough.

:haibrow: Absolutely Nuclear Throne

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Gungeon is better than nuclear throne (by virtue of the fact that I haven't played nuclear throne)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nuclear Thrones only problem and it really isn't one, is that it has no perma-upgrades, that's just us getting spoiled off of that feature in other games.

It's a true-blue arcade shooter. You go in and you better be getting better.

I wouldn't have minded a life-system to see the full game, since I've never actually been able to beat it, but it's still fun as all heck. A bit too hectic for a phone game, but it can pull it off.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like nuke thrones take on the roguelite formula with fewer persistent upgrades (aside from characters, iirc) and wish more games would do that. unlocking the good poo poo in ETG just sounds exhausting when I think about replaying.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I've only beaten Nuclear Throne twice, and I always get vaporized on the next part. It's tough going back to Throne sometimes after being spoiled by Hades, but it's a choice between story, or five minutes of :blastu:

NT has it's own depth to it with shortcuts and secrets. It's gonna be a while before I unlock Skeleton. I'm not good with Melting.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I did a Everything Hurts Melting run, and then a Venuz run where I one-shotted the Throne, and then I stopped because it was going to be all downhill from there

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Heh, look at these fools needing an item to hit ghosts, just go and get yourself cursed when you're ambushed by basilisks in the sewers. :smug:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All the secret levels in Nuclear throne blew me away. I looked it up once to see why I sometimes end up in a sewer level with four turtles and a rat and a whole world opened up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You don’t need to defend Dark Souls, the most famously obtuse and confusing video game of the last decade.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

You don’t need to defend Dark Souls, the most famously obtuse and confusing video game of the last decade.

so confusing and obtuse that it literally defined a decade of gaming

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Nuclear Thrones only problem and it really isn't one, is that it has no perma-upgrades, that's just us getting spoiled off of that feature in other games.

it's extremely good, but such a fast game being stuck at 30fps is pretty unfortunate (there's a mod to speed it up on PC but obviously not here)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The REAL Goobusters posted:

so confusing and obtuse that it literally defined a decade of gaming

Yes, because it was so confusing that it fostered a sense of community between people who were trying to figure it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Looking forward to Dusk and Hades for Christmas. :getin:

If anyone wants a good turn based roguelike strategy other than Into the Breach, I still recommend Invisible Inc.