Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I feel like at the least "games to play when you might be somewhat drunk" is a more useful measure than "movies that are good if you're stoned."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

theironjef posted:

I feel like at the least "games to play when you might be somewhat drunk" is a more useful measure than "movies that are good if you're stoned."

With the exception of the movie Cats which is most enjoyable when hosed up in some way. I can’t imagine watching it sober.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

So I either have Maquis 2nd Ed or Merchants of the Dark Road waiting for me when I get home today.

Hype either way

It was Maquis!

It's a lovely day in Nazi Occupied France, and you are a honourable Nazi Killing Frenchman

Dual layered boards are the bessssst

Components!

It's a quick little solo game, so looking forward to giving this a spin

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Infinitum posted:

It's a lovely day in Nazi Occupied France, and you are a honourable Nazi Killing Frenchman

Maybe add a hyphen in between “Nazi” and “Killing” lol.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fr0id posted:

Maybe add a hyphen in between “Nazi” and “Killing” lol.

Yeah, I frowned the first time I read that too.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

I've backed this game - BE SEEING YOU, a "Prisoner" (you know, the old TV show) style game about being under constant surveillance and trying to get away from it.

It's got a text only version linked in the Kickstarter so you can check it out see if it's your thing before backing.

It's part of an unofficial zinequest thing Sidequest that's got a bunch of ziney games launching during November over Kickstarter / itch, which is neat.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I was browsing through the tabletop Kickstarters, and I stumbled across a pop-up terrain set from the Tabletop Titan Youtubers. It looks neat, but I immediately recognized that it's pretty similar to a previous Kickstarter from a year ago. The best part is, the TT guys had done a preview for the Upzone terrain set for their KS, and are now claiming they've had plans for years to make terrain, but not officially at the time, so they didn't feel the need to disclose any conflicts of interest they had with Upzone... It's a bit of a mess. I don't think they directly aimed to plagiarize Upzone, but it wouldn't surprise me if they took some design inspirations after playing on their prototype, consciously or not.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, even worse they didn't return the Upzone prototype as agreed, and said they have work on it going back a few years but provided zero receipts to prove it (last I checked, at least). Just incredibly scummy.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Popup terrain seems like it might be patentable. The first guys to do it should probably have patented it.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I mean, I backed a pop-up terrain kickstarter back in 2014, it's not like its a new idea, fishy as this situation looks

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stonehavenmini/pop-up-miniature-terrain-kit

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jimbozig posted:

Popup terrain seems like it might be patentable. The first guys to do it should probably have patented it.

Even if the concept of pop-up terrain isn’t patentable, some of those building designs look very, very similar.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Isn't this the point where it's time to introduce lawyers into this? It's clear at this point that Tabletop Titans are not going to give them satisfaction without either the threat of or an actual lawsuit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don’t know that they did anything technically illegal, just scummy, which is why they went public to try and create public pressure about the whole thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Even if they have a legal case, which I'm no copyright scholar so I can't say, they probably don't have the money to hire lawyers.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Last 48 hours of Mothership KS. Still debating if I should back out on my pledge or not. Last chance for anyone else planning on getting in though.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Last 48 hours of Mothership KS. Still debating if I should back out on my pledge or not. Last chance for anyone else planning on getting in though.

I backed out, but that's because the money had to go to my 2022 Vinegar Syndrome subscription.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

SkyeAuroline posted:

I went digital only, since I’m not as interested in all the gribbly bits that keep getting added but I would like early access to the updated rules (also I spent way too much on kung fu movie Blu Rays)

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

I'm a sucker, so I'm in for Mothership core and CY_BORG

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm interested but I had everything pre-KS except Gradient Descent. Not sure if 1e is a big enough change to warrant $60.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I would still love to know what the big differences are, and whether they actually improve the game.

As for CY_BORG, sorry, I've got too much Morkborg stuff I haven't even tried out yet, and the one session I played didn't really leave me with a good sense of whether it's really my thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't think there's much there as far as a game, it's all about the style and mood. I am especially weary of it translating well to a traditionally mechanically reliant setting like cyberpunk.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I backed out on Mothership. $100 is a piss deal if you already own the books in zero edition but just want the LE deluxe screen.

I still love the art and concept, but even $60 feels steep to double-dip on ashcan zines with undisclosed improvements.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

moths posted:

I backed out on Mothership. $100 is a piss deal if you already own the books in zero edition but just want the LE deluxe screen.

I still love the art and concept, but even $60 feels steep to double-dip on ashcan zines with undisclosed improvements.

Yeah, I finally decided to back out too. It's not like I really do anything with print materials anyway since I play exclusively online, and I already have everything in 0e. 1e seems like a step down so far, so... no point burning money on stuff I won't use that isn't even a print version of the version I like.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

For Mothership, there have also been a number of successful Kickstarters for adventure modules. This one is at the 9 hour mark,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1068644927/the-cleaning-of-prison-station-echo

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Thinking I'm out on Mothership as well. I already own 0th Edition (ell oh ell) and my collection of unplayed awesome RPGs is already too big as is.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I’m not really keen to kickstart a D&D style roleplay when I already have some roleplay books I haven’t had the chance to use.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I sort of don’t give a poo poo about the Mothership rules (I’ll probably just use the Alien rules? Haven’t run them yet but it seems quite nice), but the modules are pretty cool - I wish there was a modules-only option.

E:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I’m not really keen to kickstart a D&D style roleplay when I already have some roleplay books I haven’t had the chance to use.

Well if I held to that philosophy I’d never buy any new RPG books, and that’s obviously not right.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arcsech posted:

Well if I held to that philosophy I’d never buy any new RPG books, and that’s obviously not right.

I still have these Dragon Age and A Song of Ice and Fire RPG books I want to actually use :v:

My board game addiction is like that though….”oh there’s space on my shelf”

Speaking of which, 2022 is gonna be a fun year, with the Witcher Old World probably not fitting in a standard kallax cube hole. Fuckin RIP.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I still have these Dragon Age and A Song of Ice and Fire RPG books I want to actually use :v:

The Song of Ice and Fire one is fun, especially making your house and picking all the things it has. Green Ronin also released the generic version of that system too!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How do you do Fellow Backers, do you like grifts? scams? NFTs?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eggtonimagine/eggton-invasion-a-game-about-business-and-power

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

My "100% legit" profile has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my profile.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
For anyone worried that CY_BORG might just be a cheap cash-in, Death In Space uses the Borg mechanics but does a TON different with them, and the editor for CY_BORG (Brian Yaksha) is a great dude who's done everything in his power to make the game inclusive, coherent, and just good. I was hesitant, and I'm the local hardcore Borgpologist, but hearing everything they've put into action is super refreshing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, wow, look at this beauty of a CCG funded in 30 seconds and at 1000% the funding goal with no comments.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/genesisboc/genesis-battle-of-champions-origins

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, wow, look at this beauty of a CCG funded in 30 seconds and at 1000% the funding goal with no comments.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/genesisboc/genesis-battle-of-champions-origins

So it looks like this has been around since 2017 and has had minor traction in some stores, so maybe this one is legit?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
We interrupt your feed of six-figure CCG Kickstarters for:

Mutants in the Now, the retro-modern mutant-animal role-playing game, is now out digitally on itch.io and DrivethruRPG!

arbco.itch.io/mutants-in-the-now

drivethrurpg.com/product/378040/Mutants-in-the-Now

Physical copies are still available via pre-order at j-k.games. If you've backed or purchased a digital copy and want to order a physical one, contact me via e-mail to get a coupon.

It's been a long journey, and putting this together, playtesting it, laying it out, etc. has been the greater part of the year. Physical copies are still in the works, but you can go out and pick it up now!

The game aims to recreate the feel of a certain '80s mutant animal TRPG while mixing it with modern design concepts for d20-centered games, and mixes randomness with choice. It's a bit involved, but with unique abilities for each species and random possibilities, it's hard not to make a unique mutant every time! (You still get to design your mutant with "GOO-P", though.)

There'll also be community copies available at itch; the current batch is already taken as of overnight, but I'll be refreshing them by next week.

So if you haven't, take a look and all that, both sites have their own preview pages. Thanks to my supporters for making this all possible!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

We interrupt your feed of six-figure CCG Kickstarters for:

Mutants in the Now, the retro-modern mutant-animal role-playing game, is now out digitally on itch.io and DrivethruRPG!

arbco.itch.io/mutants-in-the-now

drivethrurpg.com/product/378040/Mutants-in-the-Now

Physical copies are still available via pre-order at j-k.games. If you've backed or purchased a digital copy and want to order a physical one, contact me via e-mail to get a coupon.

It's been a long journey, and putting this together, playtesting it, laying it out, etc. has been the greater part of the year. Physical copies are still in the works, but you can go out and pick it up now!

The game aims to recreate the feel of a certain '80s mutant animal TRPG while mixing it with modern design concepts for d20-centered games, and mixes randomness with choice. It's a bit involved, but with unique abilities for each species and random possibilities, it's hard not to make a unique mutant every time! (You still get to design your mutant with "GOO-P", though.)

There'll also be community copies available at itch; the current batch is already taken as of overnight, but I'll be refreshing them by next week.

So if you haven't, take a look and all that, both sites have their own preview pages. Thanks to my supporters for making this all possible!

Congratulations!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

batman: the animated series arrived.

it does exist!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

That Old Tree posted:

Congratulations!

Thanks! It's been a long run, but it's great to be able to finally show off cool game.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Fate Accomplice posted:

batman: the animated series arrived.

it does exist!

Oh you must be one of the lucky few who realized that any add ons would somehow add weeks to the delivery time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

theironjef posted:

Oh you must be one of the lucky few who realized that any add ons would somehow add weeks to the delivery time.

were there addons besides "all in?"

cause that's what I did.