Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

pouring one out for my old group's paladin with low STR and CHA and high WIS

"yeah I want to specialize in healing rather than attacking or defending allies, it's a bit clunky right now but I want to see if the idea comes together at some point" which, to his credit, it did, around level 8 or so he did become a genuinely useful secondary healer

still pouring one out and it's a healing potion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I wonder if these choices are really meaningful, and if so, how to present them to players. Ability scores manage that process, but in a haphazard way that's bad for all the reasons we've discussed, especially when players are already making several thematic choices during character creation that then get "filtered" through ability scores. (It seems to me that the biggest problem is that it's paradoxical--there are theoretically infinite possibilities, but only a handful that are actually good, so a system designed to give you options ends up enforcing sameness. If you wanted all 3rd-level rogues to be basically identical, you could just play Brown Box D&D and save a lot of time.)
It's not really paradoxical, it's just bloat. Modern D&D has objectively more character options than Brown Box had, but the devs have consistently chosen to reward players for making characters like those archetypal Thieves and Dwarves of old. I don't think it's possible to square those rewards with giving players true freedom in chargen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
None of y'all talking about the only stat that matters: the anal circumference score.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
(I'm replying backwards on purpose)

Halloween Jack posted:

And on the other hand, there are very different ways to approach the D&D ruleset, like in the Black Hack: You only roll ability scores. 3-18 ability scores are meaningful because it's roll-under on a d20. Skills are replaced by character traits that either give you advantage (roll twice take best) or don't.

This leads to another observation: In games that don't have classes or something like it, basic ability scores are the classes. If a player can't pick Rogue, they'll choose the stats that make them a good thief. The problem with most games that do this is that the ability scores are designed to be realistic, not thematic. No one puts points in Constitution because they plan to get beaten up and drink poison a whole lot.
Yeah that's why DTAS is "DTAS in D&D" not DTAS in every context. Ability Scores are fine. Classes are fine. Skills are fine. All three in the one game, feeding into and influencing each other? They start interfering.

Halloween Jack posted:

The kind of system GIP describes is ultimately what I want. For a game in the D&D mold where combat is expected to be a major part of play (even if it's to be avoided), I would rather cleave combat mechanics away from noncombat mechanics completely, and not have a set of ability scores that govern effectiveness at both of them. I'm not completely sure how to do that, though.

Like in D&D 4e, your primary ability score will add to most/all of your attacks as well as several skills. You'll then choose some kind of subclass, which is effectively choosing a secondary ability score, which affects several skill totals as well as rider effects on combat powers. You have to choose between having a 20 (+5) in your primary stat and being more well-rounded; maybe you'll put a 12 (+1) in some tertiary score for the sake of your HP, or initiative, or to qualify for a feat or some other complicated reason.

I wonder if these choices are really meaningful, and if so, how to present them to players. Ability scores manage that process, but in a haphazard way that's bad for all the reasons we've discussed, especially when players are already making several thematic choices during character creation that then get "filtered" through ability scores. (It seems to me that the biggest problem is that it's paradoxical--there are theoretically infinite possibilities, but only a handful that are actually good, so a system designed to give you options ends up enforcing sameness. If you wanted all 3rd-level rogues to be basically identical, you could just play Brown Box D&D and save a lot of time.)
This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently. so I'm glad you brought back the topic. There's a thing with games which I've no idea what the proper name of is, but it's when people can engage with the game when they're not or cannot be playing the game. I remember reading an article about it ages ago in the context of WoW, about how even if you're not playing WoW right now you can be thinking about what equipment you want to pick up next, whether you want to move on to the next zone or stay, planning out a new character etc. In the tabletop space constructed deck games are the king of this; actual time spent playing the game can be a tiny fraction compared to time spent building decks, theorycrafting, opening packs and trading cards etc.

D&D's complex character creation and leveling is also a prime example of this out-of-play engagement. Even if you can only play a few times a month poking and pulling at the janky mechanics and character creation to discover new weird character builds is something you can do any time. This can be theorycrafting potential characters or planning your next level or browsing weird magical items or whatever.

Ability scores and per-level multiclassing feed into this for 3.x and 5E. Multiclassing means that even if your class has a fairly locked-in leveling progression you can still think about what would happen if you started grabbing levels of other classes instead, even if you realistically have no plans to do so. Ability scores feed into this in that they act as an arbitrary, but not obviously arbitrary, restriction on what multiclassing "works". Thinking "Will I multiclass" followed by "OK but all these ones would be garbage because my ability scores don't match up" followed by "Actually I think I'll just grab my next level normally" gives you a greater feeling of control over your character progression than being locked into one class or a table telling you which classes may multiclass into each other does not, even if the end result is 95% of the time exactly the same.

More importantly, the former allows you to go "OK, but how COULD I make a Fighter/Wizard multiclass work?"

(The 4E equivalent to the multiclassing level up potential was feats and (multiclass feats + out-of-class power unlocks) which brought a whole bunch of different problems)

So ability scores are bad because of a whole bunch of reasons, including that they make it possible to lose at character creation, but they also let you win at character creation by making characters that feel like they were an achievement to construct. Similarly per-level multiclassing absolutely destroys pretty much all the actual benefits of using a class based system, but it brings a huge feeling of potential in every level up. While from a mechanical point of view you can completely replace ability scores with a proper skill array and lego-block character creation, and per-level multiclassing is just a flat out bad idea, but if you want to capture the ~true feel of D&D~ you're going to have to replace them with something that offers the same benefits. Which for ability scores probably means completely different arbitrary restrictions designed from the ground up to only get in the way in entertaining ways, and for multiclassing... well, that's even more complicated.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 2, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Rings very true. Also gives a new perspective on the “power gamer” type. In some cases, it’s not that they enjoy playing powerful characters; it’s that their main interest in playing at all is to evaluate and reward the choices made in character building.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm about half way through reading 13th age, and I really wonder what why they kept the attributes the way they did. They did a better job at making "no bad attribute", but you still need to have your attributes since your saves now depend on every stat, and your class still needs 1, 2, or 3 primary stats.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'm about half way through reading 13th age, and I really wonder what why they kept the attributes the way they did. They did a better job at making "no bad attribute", but you still need to have your attributes since your saves now depend on every stat, and your class still needs 1, 2, or 3 primary stats.

Because Rob Heinsoo was the lead designer who wanted to do new experimental things and Jonathan Tweet was the lead designer who was a D&D traditionalist who put really pissy messages into the intro of 13 True Ways when people disliked the Monk during playtests.

I'm oversimplifying, but 13th Age does genuinely have a major internal schism about how traditionally D&D it wants to be.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The purest distillation of 13th Age being like that for me is a sidebar somewhere that's like "you should sometimes contrive situations so your 1d12 greataxe barbarian has to use a 1d4 dagger instead, for no particular reason".

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ferrinus posted:

The purest distillation of 13th Age being like that for me is a sidebar somewhere that's like "you should sometimes contrive situations so your 1d12 greataxe barbarian has to use a 1d4 dagger instead, for no particular reason".
I use tabletop games to assert my dominance over my friend group and punish them for having the temerity to build towards a concept, so it's great advice to me. I'll also randomly make a soldier in a group they're fighting 5 levels higher, or make sure swords they just purchased are cursed. Helps keep the dumbdumbs in line.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It speaks volumes about D&D as a game and a genre that the Knight lives in her suit of armour 24/7 and the Barbarian doesn’t go to the loo without their greataxe.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Siivola posted:

It speaks volumes about D&D as a game and a genre that the Knight lives in her suit of armour 24/7 and the Barbarian doesn’t go to the loo without their greataxe.

Don't worry clever and good DMs throw in the classic "ambush while the group was sleeping, you aren't wearing your armor this encounter!" Or
trolly problems to guarantee paladins fall, and all sorts of compelling story gotchas.
Then the sort who love that poo poo go on to become game designers and write clever rules like "actually if you rest in your armor here's the ongoing penalty you take"
Weirdly enough they never make a "As a wizard or cleric you don't get access to your magic until after you spend 5 minute pondering your orb or praying."
Yes, yes they have equivalent "you must have time to prep" but the ambush during camp is never "Oh the barbarian was oiling their axe and has it ready and the fighter is in full plate. Sorry Amazing Rando, you were in the middle of readying spells, so lose access to all of your class features this encounter."

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Imagine having this discussion in a game where you race cars. "Oh you went to get a Subway from the shop across the street? Idiot."

But it also kills me that D&D characters are so defined by their stuff that separating them from it bricks the game.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 2, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean there are a bunch of shooters that strip you of all your nice guns and force you to crawl around with a knife in a stealth section like some dipshit, so the mentality really does spill over into other games

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Coolness Averted posted:

Don't worry clever and good DMs throw in the classic "ambush while the group was sleeping, you aren't wearing your armor this encounter!" Or
trolly problems to guarantee paladins fall, and all sorts of compelling story gotchas.
Then the sort who love that poo poo go on to become game designers and write clever rules like "actually if you rest in your armor here's the ongoing penalty you take"
Weirdly enough they never make a "As a wizard or cleric you don't get access to your magic until after you spend 5 minute pondering your orb or praying."
Yes, yes they have equivalent "you must have time to prep" but the ambush during camp is never "Oh the barbarian was oiling their axe and has it ready and the fighter is in full plate. Sorry Amazing Rando, you were in the middle of readying spells, so lose access to all of your class features this encounter."

The trope is literally "taking the wizard's spellbook". In 2nd edition D&D, if the wizard loses their spellbook, they're pretty much screwed. As a result, it ends up being a once in a campaign plot device or else it got old fast. Adding an unseen challenge , but turning a character into a lump is not.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ferrinus posted:

I'm just glad they gave everyone the same number of background points...

I'm probably running 13A in a month or two, and looking forward to it. I do wish it had something COMP/CON-like, however.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The trope is literally "taking the wizard's spellbook". In 2nd edition D&D, if the wizard loses their spellbook, they're pretty much screwed. As a result, it ends up being a once in a campaign plot device or else it got old fast. Adding an unseen challenge , but turning a character into a lump is not.
There were always ways for lovely DMs to gently caress anyone over, right. However the ways to gently caress over wizards never quite had the same personal and utterly unavoidable "gently caress you" as other classes. You can spare spellbook your way out of that, or use magic to prevent it. There is no 50 gp common indulgence a paladin can use to get around falling.
Meanwhile rules were explicitly written to punish martial characters for trying to get around those gotchas.
At this point I'm just going into the canard where "D&D magic is as limitless as imagination. Non magic is as limited as imagination."

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

50 gp buys you an empty spellbook. You have to pay a further 10 gp per spell level per spell to fill it.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 2, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IMO there's no particular reason why a fighter's magic sword can't just pop into existence in her hand when she wants it, and pops out of existence when she's done with it. Sure, you can prevent that, with anti-magic, but that also works on wizards. Convenient!

But wait, you say, how does the fighter upgrade to a pike? Obviously she tells the sword to gently caress off, and tells the pike it's hers now. It listens, because it's magic, and fighters have a unique and particular affinity for martial weapons, so they listen. The magic halberds and falchions grok fighters and vise-versa.

Hold on, though, someone demands, isn't this totally OP, like they can't easily be held captive, they can't easily be disarmed, etc. etc.?

Well, yes. Kinda just like wizards, now you mention it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

And they made your weapon die size vitally important, too. Going from d12 to d4 (which is, admittedly, an extreme example) makes a difference of something like 20 points of damage per hit at mid-levels. Generally the simple table with "simple weapon, martial weapon, two-handed weapon, die size for each depends on class" is a much better idea than a big old weapons chapter with "longsword, short sword, broadsword, katana; and now for the axes, hammers, maces, bows and clubs..." but in practice it comes down to "what's the highest die size I can get, that's the kind of weapon the designers envisioned for my class."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Siivola posted:

50 gp buys you an empty spellbook. You have to pay a further 50 gp per spell level per spell to fill it.

I have literally never played in a game with transcribing cost rules enforced. Hell, I've never seen stuff like component costs enforced either, tbh. A quick google search also shows 5e reduced the cost to 10 gp per level and reduced the scribe time if making backups, because it would be unfair otherwise.
Residuum? gently caress off with that mmo poo poo for babbies

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

My Lovely Horse posted:

And they made your weapon die size vitally important, too. Going from d12 to d4 (which is, admittedly, an extreme example) makes a difference of something like 20 points of damage per hit at mid-levels. Generally the simple table with "simple weapon, martial weapon, two-handed weapon, die size for each depends on class" is a much better idea than a big old weapons chapter with "longsword, short sword, broadsword, katana; and now for the axes, hammers, maces, bows and clubs..." but in practice it comes down to "what's the highest die size I can get, that's the kind of weapon the designers envisioned for my class."
Weapon damage dice should be class based imo for d&d-alikes. Maybe allow some character advancement choices to affect it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I've written this post before, but following the spell acquisition and spellbook maintenance and reagent cost rules to the letter can limit the Wizard's power enough that they don't become gods at high levels, but you still don't really want to do that anyway because it just makes the game punishing as hell for everyone

That, and later editions of D&D slackened this sort of thing enough that 3rd Ed Wizards are still really powerful played entirely by the book

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

gradenko_2000 posted:

I feel like I've written this post before, but following the spell acquisition and spellbook maintenance and reagent cost rules to the letter can limit the Wizard's power enough that they don't become gods at high levels, but you still don't really want to do that anyway because it just makes the game punishing as hell for everyone

That, and later editions of D&D slackened this sort of thing enough that 3rd Ed Wizards are still really powerful played entirely by the book

Yeah, the same way I don't think it's bad that say encumbrance rules are generally ignored, but when a game I'm in specifically made it clear encumbrance is ignored, but here's some house rules to make a low int hurt, well certain classes and builds are benefited more than others.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

A quick google search also shows 5e reduced the cost to 10 gp per level and reduced the scribe time if making backups, because it would be unfair otherwise.
Yeah sorry about that, I missed the copying cost initially.

But still, "unfucking a lost spellbook is free if you don’t use the money rules" is kind of a weak argument.

Edit: Like, yes, unfucking a lost spellbook is easy because nobody uses the money rules because the money rules suck, but it’s not fair to pin class balance on the money rules sucking. It's not the devs' fault the replacement house rule also sucks.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 2, 2021

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

gradenko_2000 posted:

For the editions where I've run a campaign that went from level 1 to 20 (2e and 5e) I agree with the first part, but not the second. 5e absolutely works better with strict adherence to component and scribing costs, although it's reasonable - and probably working as intended - to ignore the cost of acquiring any component that doesn't list a GP value. PCs make enough money to afford the cost of components and scribing if you're using the treasure tables in the DMG: there might be a resource crunch early on, or when they've just reached a level with a really expensive spell component, but that also works out pretty well. If anything, scribing costs could be increased substantially and it would probably improve the balance overall.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I'm oversimplifying, but 13th Age does genuinely have a major internal schism about how traditionally D&D it wants to be.

As much as I personally disliked all the traditionalist poo poo in 13A, in practice it was the spoonful of sugar that got my 4e-adverse edition-warrior players to the table because it looked like D&D.

Ferrinus posted:

It's been a while, but I remember that differently. Wasn't the point of that sidebar that you should incentivize suboptimal choices by allowing values to change in play?

Otherwise there's literally no reason to equip a 1d4 dagger, or even have it in the game. Making it poke situationally for 1d12 (when crawling through a Jeffrey's tube) adds some of the loving verisimilitude people wouldn't shut up about.

I feel like 13A would benefit from a second edition, but it was clearly designed by people who understood players and the choices they make.

For example, the background mechanics support players who need games to mechanically reflect their character's fisherman (or whatever) background. I've met at least two of these players. You can tell them to just write it in their backstory, but it's not "real" unless it's got numbers attached.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

moths posted:

For example, the background mechanics support players who need games to mechanically reflect their character's fisherman (or whatever) background. I've met at least two of these players. You can tell them to just write it in their backstory, but it's not "real" unless it's got numbers attached.

I sympathise with this point of view because nothing in the game is real* until it enters the 'shared imagination space', to use a term that makes me cringe. If a thing about your character only exists in your head, then it might as well not exist at all. Like, the purpose of e.g. a dark secret is to be revealed, not to give your character a reason to act in a secretive manner.

And sticking numbers on a thing, right there in the space on your character sheet for important numbers, is the easiest way of bringing something out of your head and into the shared story. Now everyone knows, and it's that much more real.

*I mean, nothing in the game is real but you all know what I'm talking about.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

potatocubed posted:

I sympathise with this point of view because nothing in the game is real* until it enters the 'shared imagination space', to use a term that makes me cringe. If a thing about your character only exists in your head, then it might as well not exist at all. Like, the purpose of e.g. a dark secret is to be revealed, not to give your character a reason to act in a secretive manner.

The game also doesn't give a poo poo unless there's rules for it. It may be part of your character's backstory, it may be something everyone at the table knows, but if the fishing rules are "you have a 25% to catch 1 lb of fish per hour of fishing" then when it comes down to it you're just as lovely at fishing as the next guy, which doesn't feel good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Splicer posted:

This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently. so I'm glad you brought back the topic. There's a thing with games which I've no idea what the proper name of is, but it's when people can engage with the game when they're not or cannot be playing the game. I remember reading an article about it ages ago in the context of WoW, about how even if you're not playing WoW right now you can be thinking about what equipment you want to pick up next, whether you want to move on to the next zone or stay, planning out a new character etc. In the tabletop space constructed deck games are the king of this; actual time spent playing the game can be a tiny fraction compared to time spent building decks, theorycrafting, opening packs and trading cards etc.

God I want to know what the term for this is and how to advance it as a discussion. Theorycrafting is the best term I'm aware of but that just refers to a subset of actions, not the experience or the generality. My private language for it is "planning as play," mostly because I really love Zachtronics games (e.g. Opus Magnum) where the actual game play is planning out an order of operations and the execution of it is just done for you perfectly.

I've been getting into Infinity and I'd say 90% of my time is on the theory side. Making army lists, thinking about tournaments, mathing out match ups, love it. Playing is very fun but that requires getting another person on board for a few hours which I can only pull off every few weeks, I can say dream about making a paratrooper hacker list every day.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Tulip posted:

God I want to know what the term for this is and how to advance it as a discussion. Theorycrafting is the best term I'm aware of but that just refers to a subset of actions, not the experience or the generality. My private language for it is "planning as play," mostly because I really love Zachtronics games (e.g. Opus Magnum) where the actual game play is planning out an order of operations and the execution of it is just done for you perfectly.

I seem to recall this being referred to before as “lonely play” but I don’t recall where and google results aren’t making it seem common.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How about something like "external/outside engagement"?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The designer of 1977's classic Traveller RPG (Marc Miller) liked to make the point that the sheer number of design sub-systems in that game meant that you could "play" it solitaire for hours and hours without ever sitting down at a table with a group. Roll up characters, design spaceships and vehicles, stat out whole star sectors and all their planets, plot trade routes, assemble mercenary companies, generate encounter tables for every biome - endless hours of interaction with the system and the setting, endless hours of putting yourself in a custom-designed SF mindspace.

"Playing" an RPG even when you are not actually playing it has a long history.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know of a general term that encompasses all kinds of games. The threads/subforums dedicated to crafting character builds in 3e/4e called it character optimization/charop (which sounds nicer than powergaming or minmaxing) so I've just gone with that. And like FM says, games like Traveller and Harn have traditions of playing with the generation tools. I've definitely done that with Kevin Crawford's games.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Gamified prep for players and GMs?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Gamified prep for players and GMs?

Yeah, there’s certainly a subset of GMs (myself included) that greatly enjoy the meta game of prepping situations/adventures/etc and thinking about how the players will interact with them. (Note that this doesn’t necessitate railroading or prescribing player actions, for me it’s often something like “okay, I’m gonna put a switch up high on this ledge that the PCs can use to lower a bridge to cross the chasm, I’m excited to see how they get to it.” When I’ve done this kind of prep before, the players have ignored the switch and just made a rope bridge across the chasm themselves, which is A+. I just want to set up cool things and see people have fun overcoming them.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I feel like "building" is a good verb for it. Planning, designing, architecting, generation, also work in some contexts. But it sounds like folks are mostly talking about interacting with explicit game mechanics presented for them to do pre-play construction in a creative way, as one might do in a sandbox, and to me that's building things. Character building, encounter building, setting building, etc.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

regarding D&D character creators from last page...

The creator posted on the last page was, indeed, included on a CD-ROM with the 3.0 PHB. It looked good and worked well, so of course, we weren't allowed to keep it.
I'm not sure which surprised me more, that I remembered its music or that it's on YouTube.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know of a general term that encompasses all kinds of games. The threads/subforums dedicated to crafting character builds in 3e/4e called it character optimization/charop (which sounds nicer than powergaming or minmaxing) so I've just gone with that. And like FM says, games like Traveller and Harn have traditions of playing with the generation tools. I've definitely done that with Kevin Crawford's games.
Charop would be a very small subsection of what we're talking about though yeah it's the thing I focused most on in my post because that's where D&D really shines at it. But it's also reading the monster manual just for the hell of it, or posting on the game's associated forums on your lunch break etc. "Out of game engagement" is a description but I could swear there was a snappier phrase for it.

Parkreiner posted:

I seem to recall this being referred to before as “lonely play” but I don’t recall where and google results aren’t making it seem common.
This doesn't quite work because "Bullshitting with my friends about how OP this feat is" isn't exactly lonely but definitely falls under the umbrella.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Leperflesh posted:

I think that's halfway to why Wizards felt obliged to include a CD with a character creator and other tools in the first release of 3rd edition, for free.

As far as I know, they wanted to go so far as to make it into a whole set of online play tools at the time, but butted up against Atari's exclusive license to make D&D "games", which killed their capacity to make the more robust solution they wanted.

IIRC, they even wanted to hit the MMO scene before World of Warcraft, but once again: Atari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ars Magica has a lot of that. Lots of granular but versatile rules for creating characters, spells, items, locations, organizations, and creatures. It's not enev really optimization in a dnd sense, but more about digging through stuff and trying to come up with a way to make a wierd or interesting concept work in a satisfying way.