Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did some retail therapy and bought a Scuf Instinct Pro. I really like how the paddles are positioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Is there a decent wireless controller in existence for the OG Xbox? I'd be tempted to hook mine up if my couch wasn't 15 feet away and googling for wireless Xbox controllers only turns up Xbone and 360 stuff

I had one of these way back when and loved it:

https://xbox.fandom.com/wiki/Logitech_Wireless_Xbox_Controller

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Yeah, I had a black one and a white one. Pretty sure someone modded a remote power switch into one so they could power the xbox on? The number 1 OG xbox controller, IMO.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Is there a decent wireless controller in existence for the OG Xbox? I'd be tempted to hook mine up if my couch wasn't 15 feet away and googling for wireless Xbox controllers only turns up Xbone and 360 stuff

I have one, but I can't remember who makes it. It is in a storage box with my other OG xbox gear. I recall it being pretty responsive but I can't remember who makes it offhand. I can dig it out this evening probably if you really want to know / more info.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Crossposting from the Halo thread...

Halo Infinite will offer monthly rewards to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers

quote:

- Microsoft has announced that Halo Infinite will offer monthly multiplayer rewards to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers.
- These rewards likely include exclusive cosmetic items and in-game consumables like XP Boosts.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Aliens Fireteam was cool but it had no quickmatch at launch and still has no text or voice comms. Also synths aren't interesting enemies.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Tried Mortal Shell on Game Pass and after a kinda rough first 30 minutes I got totally sucked in, it's way better than I expected.

Obviously it's extremely, unabashedly derivative of Dark Souls but in terms of aesthetics and character designs and stuff it does a really nice job of that. The four different shells are a nice way to really streamline build options, and the whole Harden mechanic + parrying is done really really well imo. Fundamentally I've found most of the combat and encounter design super satisfying. I also really like the "Item Familiarity" mechanic where most items get some improved (or in some cases completely altered) effect after you've used them enough times. It makes it feel rewarding to try out every consumable and not just stockpile stuff.

The main problems are kinda huge though and I can see why people would really bounce off it. While the visual design is really cool and Soulslike without being too much of a ripoff, the level design is just not nearly as good or interesting as any Dark Souls game. The areas range from obnoxiously confusing to navigate, to weird giant open wastelands that look kind of samey, to strangely linear cave systems and stuff, and none of them feel like they hit the right mark. While there is some cool imagery I am just not finding anything hugely memorable about any particular areas, and it's not really building up into any sense of this being a connected world.

Also despite mostly streamlining all the RPG stuff from Dark Souls so you're never messing with stats, the game is weirdly stubborn about making it obnoxious to switch shells and weapons which are basically the core of the game. I guess I will unlock fast travel later, but I'm getting close to being done and am just finding it kind of annoying and silly that I still have to wander for so long to get back to the place where the Shells are stored. In Dark Souls 1 you don't need fast travel as much because the world is designed so beautifully to reveal all those wild shortcuts back to Firelink Shrine over time, but you really don't have that here.

And finally a lot of the upgrades you can get for the different Shells are just lame. Stuff like "Chance to restore health" on receiving an item that itself is a low-chance random drop is just kinda... meh? There are a few cool abilities that are obviously the core of each Shell but after that they're padded kind of lamely.

Still finding that the basics of the game are clicking really well for me when it's not getting in its own way... oh and, I think it was someone in this thread that was complaining about bear traps in the first area. They are super visible, maybe mess with your in-game brightness or something.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Can’t wait to install Stardew Valley on my fourth platform :getin:

I realise almost everyone has played it at this point, but be sure to jump on it if you haven’t!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I haven’t played it, maybe if it’s on X loud or whatever

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was just checking out Anvil yesterday and thought it looked cool, and now I guess I'll get to find out without spending any money! Thanks Xbox

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/after-years-of-struggling-against-ddos-attacks-titanfall-is-being-removed-from-sale/

Goodbye my old friend :suicide:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Countdown to also shuttering TF2 servers :(

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
That Dark Alliance shitshow has a new update. Is it still awful?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

zimbomonkey posted:

Steel Battalion exists so no.

I could never justify the cost of Steel Battalion, but I will accept the loss in this argument.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Here it is.

I guess it was mad catz

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

otter posted:

Here it is.

I guess it was mad catz

holy poo poo, I actually have the PS2 version of this. It was left in the free box at a used bookstore

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

This is what convinced me to turn in some MS points and get the battle pass. With the improved leveling I don't have to worry so much about not getting far in it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

elf help book posted:

I've heard Final Fantasy XIII-2 is pretty good.

Honestly if it runs better on series x I may finally give it a shot. I have the game on pc and it didn’t run great when I first bought it

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Martman posted:

Tried Mortal Shell on Game Pass and after a kinda rough first 30 minutes I got totally sucked in, it's way better than I expected.

Obviously it's extremely, unabashedly derivative of Dark Souls but in terms of aesthetics and character designs and stuff it does a really nice job of that. The four different shells are a nice way to really streamline build options, and the whole Harden mechanic + parrying is done really really well imo. Fundamentally I've found most of the combat and encounter design super satisfying. I also really like the "Item Familiarity" mechanic where most items get some improved (or in some cases completely altered) effect after you've used them enough times. It makes it feel rewarding to try out every consumable and not just stockpile stuff.

The main problems are kinda huge though and I can see why people would really bounce off it. While the visual design is really cool and Soulslike without being too much of a ripoff, the level design is just not nearly as good or interesting as any Dark Souls game. The areas range from obnoxiously confusing to navigate, to weird giant open wastelands that look kind of samey, to strangely linear cave systems and stuff, and none of them feel like they hit the right mark. While there is some cool imagery I am just not finding anything hugely memorable about any particular areas, and it's not really building up into any sense of this being a connected world.

Also despite mostly streamlining all the RPG stuff from Dark Souls so you're never messing with stats, the game is weirdly stubborn about making it obnoxious to switch shells and weapons which are basically the core of the game. I guess I will unlock fast travel later, but I'm getting close to being done and am just finding it kind of annoying and silly that I still have to wander for so long to get back to the place where the Shells are stored. In Dark Souls 1 you don't need fast travel as much because the world is designed so beautifully to reveal all those wild shortcuts back to Firelink Shrine over time, but you really don't have that here.

And finally a lot of the upgrades you can get for the different Shells are just lame. Stuff like "Chance to restore health" on receiving an item that itself is a low-chance random drop is just kinda... meh? There are a few cool abilities that are obviously the core of each Shell but after that they're padded kind of lamely.

Still finding that the basics of the game are clicking really well for me when it's not getting in its own way... oh and, I think it was someone in this thread that was complaining about bear traps in the first area. They are super visible, maybe mess with your in-game brightness or something.

Yeah, I was banging my head against it the first night or two, and then it sort of clicked and I've been having a blast with it. Finding where to go does indeed suck. Even if I look up where the next temple is and look up a map, it's still kind of hard to navigate there because the Outskirts area is just kind of featureless. I love the idea of the shells, but it seems like you're penalized for not sticking with one from pretty early on. It was kind of annoying finding Tiel and then having to run all the way back to the tower to switch back to my almost-fully upgraded Solomon to tackle the next area.

I haven't really explored all the abilities yet, but Solomon and Tiel's are pretty cool. Once you get Solomon built up, you're just swimming in resolve so you can throw out parries and weapon abilities constantly, which is pretty fun. Tiel seems like he'd be a ton of fun with that huge stamina bar, but I don't think I can hang with that tiny health bar until I've learned more of the enemies.

Anyway, earlier I fed a giant frog a bunch of food and he burped on me and now my character looks like a member of Dimmu Borgir. GOTY IMHO.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The first set of perks for Game Pass Ultimate subs was announced as landing December 8. It'll have an Assault Rifle skin, four double-XP boosts and four challenge skips.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Kins posted:

The first set of perks for Game Pass Ultimate subs was announced as landing December 8. It'll have an Assault Rifle skin, four double-XP boosts and four challenge skips.

Challenge skips should be free some of these challenges are terrible

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yeah, it’s a solution to a made up problem. They should just be optional and be worth 5x rewards.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

highme posted:

It's really super easy. The firmware just needs to be reflashed. The only tricky part is making sure you use the correct app as TB provides an a different one for Xbox/PS. In total it was maybe 2 minutes of time from download to completion though. If you get a set for < $20 (I paid $15.50 plus $12 shipping and didn't shop well imo) and they can't be reflashed I'd be down to buy them from you for whatever you paid. There are a couple of others out there that were $20 buy it now w/ free shipping, which is a price point I'm happy with just for the plastic bits and bobs. I've already noticed stress fractures developing in the same place on the other ear piece as well.

I can't seem to figure out how to make Windows accept the mic on my PS pair as an input device. If I get that sorted they're gonna be my work headphones. TBH they'll probably be my work headphones until I sell them.

From a while back, but you are an absolute legend! . Got them in the mail today and had them fixed within 5 minutes of opening the box. They are even practically brand new. Just reflashed and they were good to go.

it's so weird that happened to be the headset in question, because the Gen 2 700s were the exact headset I was moping about not being able to use on Xbox. I'm pretty picky and they are the only cans I really like. Tbh I had resigned to the fact that eventually I'd probably just double down for a second pair down the road. I can't believe I got a pair of 150 dollar headphones for two dollars lol.

Honestly it probably wouldn't be hard to make some extra cash buying "bricked" 700s and just repairing them on the TB site to flip them for around $100. There's so many "broken" 700s on ebay. Although none of them are as cheap as the auction you linked and I'm too lazy to bother probably haha.

Thanks again you solved all of my headphone woes for almost free.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also my initial internet problems didn't seem to be present at all today so my xbox is a go. it's time to not spend another penny on games until February :getin:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I am looking forward to this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6CPMJfng_o

Coming to Game Pass of course

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Your boy MKBHD got the Gucci Xbox. :homebrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnGXTk57rOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

$10,000 is just regular scalper pricing

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

What's up with game pass lately, so many games are being added! And good ones too.

I've just started playing Townscaper, which is the most zen thing I've ever played.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I don't care what the trendy press release reader man has to say about anything, especially this.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Hot take.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

What's up with game pass lately, so many games are being added! And good ones too.

I've just started playing Townscaper, which is the most zen thing I've ever played.

I can't figure out how to make propellors or statues in parks, but yeah its super zone out and make a city game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Almost as hot as the Gucci-having dreamy trendy man himself :swoon:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

how long do I need to let my GP sub lapse before I can do a Gold to GPU conversion again?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I tried out whatever the hell Anvil is, seemed pretty ok up to the wolf boss then it seemed to randomly spawn four turrets that just shoot you down lmao. Probably doable if you aren't the axe guy but it looks pretty grindy so whatever

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

how long do I need to let my GP sub lapse before I can do a Gold to GPU conversion again?

You can do it as soon as the old one has expired. However, the 1 month of Ultimate won't be $1 but $15 or whatever the normal price is. The conversion will still work at a 1:1 rate.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zat posted:

You can do it as soon as the old one has expired. However, the 1 month of Ultimate won't be $1 but $15 or whatever the normal price is. The conversion will still work at a 1:1 rate.

Yeah that's all cool. I have enough MS Points for a month of Gold and I also have a 3-month GPU gift card so should that be good for 4 months of GPU in that case?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah that's all cool. I have enough MS Points for a month of Gold and I also have a 3-month GPU gift card so should that be good for 4 months of GPU in that case?

Yes, plus the one month of Ultimate you pay for.

Also, you can check if the PC Game Pass $1 trial is available for you: https://www.xbox.com/xbox-game-pass/pc-games
That's another extra month or sometimes three, for $1.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

univbee posted:

Almost as hot as the Gucci-having dreamy trendy man himself :swoon:

They did an incredible job of making that thing look like an arts and crafts project.

edit: the Xbox + case, not dreamy man

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Between Townscaper and Lawn Mowing Simulator, things are looking Zen as gently caress.

Lawn Mowing Simulator's awesome, BTW. Enjoying the hell out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Townscaper is so good.