Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It seems kind of crazy that WA and SA both have had health systems on the brink for years and years, well before COVID, and even with two years to prepare for it still haven't managed to do that...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

freebooter posted:

It seems kind of crazy that WA and SA both have had health systems on the brink for years and years, well before COVID, and even with two years to prepare for it still haven't managed to do that...?

Well there was plenty of money to throw at a shiny new royal adelaide hospital complex a few years back. Never mind fixing what we had, a brand new hospital site will surely make everything better!

Turned out to be something like the most expensive hospital per bed in the world or something like that.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

freebooter posted:

For people in SA - is it a weird feeling to have been COVID-zero for so long and all of a sudden have cases coming in and the government expecting you to be cool with it (even if you know it was inevitable)?

I'm double Astrazeneca vaxxed but with chronic bronchitis so I don't know what that means for me.

It's a sense of numbing inevitability. I don't know whether to just keep living cautiously like I've been doing for two years, or just become a complete hermit.

slorb
May 14, 2002
Building hospitals is expensive, but it's not very complicated, can usually be expected to finish on time, and is something you can point to that the public understands.

Reforming a toxic public health staffing system is expensive, complicated, angers groups with a vested interest in the current system, can take most of a decade because it takes so long to train staff, often makes things worse in the short term, and is less visible to the public.

It's not surprising politicians usually choose column A.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

For people in SA - is it a weird feeling to have been COVID-zero for so long and all of a sudden have cases coming in and the government expecting you to be cool with it (even if you know it was inevitable)?

It's weird, but we knew it was coming.

What's frustrating is that they traded one set of freedoms for another. Sure you can travel interstate (well unless you want to go to WA now) but that comes with many more people in SA being in forced week long quarantines if they've been at exposure sites.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Local hospital here isn't safe to birth babies at any more, pregnant women are shipped one town over or flown to Adelaide. The equipment and experienced personnel aren't available. Surgeons from the city spend a couple of weeks at a time doing a tour of duty here and then are gone - I missed out on surgery in 2019 because one guy was just too slow to get through everyone in the allocated time and I had to wait until 2020. My sister has a dodgy toenail and has to wait for the podiatrist to come from the city, they are here for a couple of days every fortnight. There is nothing local for neurology or psychiatry or rheumatology or dermatology. Instead of fixing the problems we get increasingly poor workarounds which have so far stopped a medical crisis. I feel like the liberal government have some blame but some of it is just the structure of WA and SA - one big city each, and the rest of the state goes to hell.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was that when he doxxed a welfare recipient to a journalist or is he a double doxxer

welfare recipient while he was minister for human services

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
This Week in Virology released an episode about Omicron and their assessment seemed to be "no opinion on transmisibilty or severity because we got no good data but if the vaccines don't work as good at preventing serious illness or infectiousness I'll eat my hat, it's the same poo poo in that regard"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Peccadillo posted:

This Week in Virology released an episode about Omicron and their assessment seemed to be "no opinion on transmisibilty or severity because we got no good data but if the vaccines don't work as good at preventing serious illness or infectiousness I'll eat my hat, it's the same poo poo in that regard"

Vaccines were worse against delta than wild and there's no info on this. Sounds like a fun edutainment podcast tho.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
One of the virologists who worked on Moderna said much the same.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Moderna, whose CEO said that his scientists were raising concerns that the current vaccine wouldn't be effective?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

JBP posted:

Vaccines were worse against delta than wild and there's no info on this. Sounds like a fun edutainment podcast tho.

It's a bunch of virology professors discussing research papers, I abbreviated the discussion about protein shells having not very much to do with t-cell promeates and not meaning too much about vacination

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 2, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

It's a bunch of virology professors discussing research papers

All those omicron research papers. Fascinating.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

They wrote them up while designing it in the lab( contained in South Africa’s decommissioned nuke storage sites)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Edit. beaten

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

They wrote them up while designing it in the lab( contained in South Africa’s decommissioned nuke storage sites)

Ah cool alright I respect the show. I thought it was just guesses.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

JBP posted:

Have a listen my man! It's dorks applying their knowledge to something interesting

I remember thinking the whole "China made it in a lab and lost it" was out of pocket bananas, but I remember hearing an episode of their show from like February of 2020 where they'd just found proof it wasn't and the hosts were like "THANK loving CHRIST I WAS SWEATING BULLETS"

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Cheers for the local voting advice, I figured out that all but two of the groups that said they were independent were actually registered with the Liberal party and one of the remaining "Independant" party had a preference deal with one of the fake Independents. That left one who instead turned out to be associated with Sustainable Australia so...

Labor it is! :suicide:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Also paraphrased

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Silly question re WA politics.

So the WA Libs only have 2 seats in state parliament, after the most recent elections.

How about Federally? Also, will this anti state Lib sentiment translate to the Federal libs? Will they lose seats in WA? And if so, will it hurt them?

Your question has excellent timing friend, this popped into my inbox today:

https://insidestory.org.au/western-australia-to-the-rescue/

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

These draconian laws … are hopefully not passed, but it seems like they’re going to be,” Caulfield crystal seller Kaalii Cargill, who goes by the name of Qi, said while pacing the steps of Parliament House on Thursday.

It’s a very sad day really for Victoria. It feels like the end of democracy here.”

Fascism is when thing I don’t like happen

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/KatBermingham/status/1466363204209025025

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/KatBermingham/status/1466363204209025025

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

freebooter posted:

Yeah it was inevitable but I resent the way that it was done. They dropped the interstate restrictions down to practically nothing, then increased them as soon as we get a outbreak while in the same press conference insisted that the outbreak is on the lower end of the modeling. Having interstate travelers get tested and isolate for a few days after arrival would not of stopped it for ever, but would of reduced my annoyance with it. Also would of liked the date pushed back towards Xmas so that it doesn't have a month to really take off before family get togethers and so on.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nationals federal Vice President is a pedo

I can't believe nobody noticed this post.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/dec/02/western-australian-nationals-mp-james-hayward-charged-with-child-sexual-abuse

James Haywood, a former vice president of the Federal Nats and current WA state upper house MP has been charged with multiple child sexual abuse offences relating to an 8 year old girl. The offences happened this year.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/dec/02/western-australian-nationals-mp-james-hayward-charged-with-child-sexual-abuse

James Haywood, a former vice president of the Federal Nats and current WA state upper house MP has been charged with multiple child sexual abuse offences relating to an 8 year old girl. The offences happened this year.
Hope he gets the full 20 years.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

Just par for the course for the latte sippers to silence independent citizen journalists

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Breetai posted:

I'm double Astrazeneca vaxxed but with chronic bronchitis so I don't know what that means for me.

It's a sense of numbing inevitability. I don't know whether to just keep living cautiously like I've been doing for two years, or just become a complete hermit.

I feel that. My partner's immunocompromised and when Victoria and NSW both abandoned zero-COVID it was a pretty difficult adjustment because as much as we might want to, it's not actually possible to be hermits forever - both of us will have to go back to the office eventually, never mind wanting to actually see our friends and family in a world where this is now just going to be around forever. I have to believe that being triple vaxxed means she'll be OK because if I don't believe that I don't know how we'll get through each day in the coming years.

I do actually believe she'll be OK, since some people in her US Facebook support groups with her condition caught it before they were ever vaccinated and got through it OK. So that's good. But it's still a loving lovely new status quo to adjust to. At least we live in a place where our government gave it their best shot to keep the loving thing out, if I'd lived in the UK or US over the past two years I would've gone loving insane.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Your question has excellent timing friend, this popped into my inbox today:

https://insidestory.org.au/western-australia-to-the-rescue/

I like Brent but this was actually precisely the piece I was thinking of when I said some commentators won't budge from their conventional wisdom even though we live in deeply unconventional times. I'm also suss of any Canberra-based electoral data wonks who think they have their finger on the contemporary pulse of WA.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Satellites have discovered huge cloud of undisclosed methane emissions over Australia, experts say

getting doxxed sucks

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

freebooter posted:

I feel that. My partner's immunocompromised and when Victoria and NSW both abandoned zero-COVID it was a pretty difficult adjustment because as much as we might want to, it's not actually possible to be hermits forever - both of us will have to go back to the office eventually, never mind wanting to actually see our friends and family in a world where this is now just going to be around forever. I have to believe that being triple vaxxed means she'll be OK because if I don't believe that I don't know how we'll get through each day in the coming years.

I do actually believe she'll be OK, since some people in her US Facebook support groups with her condition caught it before they were ever vaccinated and got through it OK. So that's good. But it's still a loving lovely new status quo to adjust to. At least we live in a place where our government gave it their best shot to keep the loving thing out, if I'd lived in the UK or US over the past two years I would've gone loving insane.

Thanks for the perspective.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Stoca Zola posted:

I feel like the liberal government have some blame but some of it is just the structure of WA and SA - one big city each, and the rest of the state goes to hell.

It's partly this, but for WA it's also partly a decade of Liberal budget slashing. It's hard to undo a decade of shrinking staff and departmental budgets, even in two years. We've hired hundreds of new doctors and nurses, but you can't train up a whole new medico in 2 years, so we have to steal them from other systems - and there's only so much blood you can squeeze out of a stone unless we want to drop our English language requirements.

And the size of the state is a nightmare. Esperance has a 'hospital' but it's a handful of beds, a few doctors who rotate in shifts and some nurses. Anything worse than something they can stitch back up and they get medievaced to Perth.
And the last major hospital we built was so riddled with lead in the pipes, it took months to work out it was poorly made Chinese tapware that was the actual culprit.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

lol I only remember him from this

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

dog bites man

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Animal Friend posted:

What a turd, he clearly didn't learn Latin in school.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Animal Friend posted:

didn't this happen sometime near the weird 'golden gaytime' non-troversy

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So yesterday the Victorian auditor general published a report saying councils are actually doing well with waste management and providing value for money, then in the evening parliament passed legislation requiring councils to get permission from some overpaid deputy secretary not to deliver the exact same 4-bin service whether you’re in the Melbourne CBD or a one pub town in the middle of loving nowhere.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Solemn Sloth posted:

So yesterday the Victorian auditor general published a report saying councils are actually doing well with waste management and providing value for money, then in the evening parliament passed legislation requiring councils to get permission from some overpaid deputy secretary not to deliver the exact same 4-bin service whether you’re in the Melbourne CBD or a one pub town in the middle of loving nowhere.

As someone who lives in a 100k+ person regional city that can't be arsed providing glass or compostable waste collection it sounds like a good idea to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

gently caress the glass bin off and make it a soft plastic bin imo and not just because it makes it easier to hide my raging alcoholism