Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CaptainBeefart posted:

nice. If possible to describe what is it? I did a quick google and couldn't find any youtube tracks.

It's from 1979. Side A is all snippets from a radio show, like the in between bits that the DJ does. He did a short interview with Mackie Feary about body surfing, and the news segment discussed Operation Green Harvest (weed bust). Also a lot of "[short silence] ....What a great song! I've got another one for ya up next! [Short silence]"

Andy Bumatai keeps piping in to invite viewers to call in to guess today's mystery song, and here's Mr. Hurley with a surf update!

"Susan from the music scene" has a very soothing voice as she tells us about new music releases. :3

Side B is the pic I posted, it's up next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Please all, anybody have this? Give me a good take on them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P9aXZ9FBOg

They're a real curiosity to me.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

So my in-laws were feeling spicy and bought one of those "big bag of random singles for $15". They let me pick out what I wanted... :kiddo:

Featuring a cameo from my pizza blanket:

(Careless Whisper got cut off, sorry about that.)

(Centerfold/Rage in the Cage by J Geils Band; Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd)

(Some random country; June Carter; Tuff Enuff by the Fabulous Thunderbirds)

(Dancing in the Dark/Pink Cadillac by Bruce Springsteen; I Just Died In Your Arms by Cutting Crew; Take on Me by Aha)

(Saturday Night by Bay City Rollers; What's Love Got to Do With It by Tina Turner; Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship)

(Conway Twitty and some Jesus tunes!)

(My dad in law went "Weird historical poo poo? Yup, that's yours.")

The only duplicates were the Starship single, and even that was two different versions (one was from a movie).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've bought more vinyl in the past few weeks than I have in the past decade:

New stuff:

Genesis - The Last Domino? A 4-LP set of hits. Lots of pics inside of the band on their last tour.

Huh. Not a compilations guy, but that's a surprisingly decent tracklist.

petit choux posted:

I think I won the prog rock category today:

Asia is good, actually.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Fripp was like the GOAT session guitarist wasn't he? like listen to Another Green World...brilliant record...but all the very best bits are Fripp doing that doodly-doodly-diddly thing. best part of "Heroes", maybe Bowie's single greatest tune, is his guitar line. was listening to some Van der Graaf Generator and this sweet guitar section kicked in on "Emperor and the War Room", and hey...guess who??

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
oh by the way I did wind up getting the ultrasonic cleaner. it's this one, if you're interested.

I was interested because this is way cheaper than any ultrasonic cleaner I'd ever seen. as you might imagine there's some shoddiness to it...the instructions are literally five blurry photos out of order. but it's not hard to put together. it's just the tank and the spindle which has a motor that rotates the records. unlike some reviewers I did seem to get all the right parts at least.

anyway, I don't wanna bore with the details. the results have been....kinda all over the map. it has definitely "rescued" some albums which I wanted to replace - night & day difference, way better than the spin clean. it has also done effectively nothing on others. obviously it depends what exactly the imperfections are but sometimes it's hard to tell. some of the records I ran through looked scratched as hell but wound up playing pretty well afterwards.

what it's been really good on is some of the ambient stuff I have - Kankyo Ongaku & Green by Hiroshi Yoshimura. both of these albums came new so obviously they're in great shape, but they've have some pops & crackle that are quite annoying given the nature of the music. I am not sure where that came from (maybe the factory?) but after a go in there they are nearly dead silent. but the biggest improvement is on dirty old stuff. it doesn't work miracles - there's still some surface noise but it's notably quieter. the real change is in the sound of the music itself. everything is so much cleaner; you don't get that distortion on the loud bits anymore. the bass is much more clear. keep in mind this is all stuff I already ran through the spin clean. so it does make a difference. sometimes!! on other records, it didn't really do much of anything! so who knows??

should you get one? idk, depends on the value of your collection.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Com Truise - Galactic Melt got a reissue. Sold out on Bandcamp and Ghostly already but Newbury Comics has a blue variant that's still available.

https://www.newburycomics.com/products/com_truise-galactic_melt_exclusive_2lp?variant=40989776412852

https://comtruise.bandcamp.com/album/galactic-melt-10th-anniversary-edition

https://ghostly.com/products/galactic-melt-10th-anniversary-edition

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would really like that album on vinyl, but I'm broke until tomorrow :(

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ayyyyy Sealed Records is finally reissuing Rudimentary Peni’s Death Church tomorrow!

Edit: looks like there will be US distribution on black vinyl, with Sealed having a color variant. Probably wanna hold off on buying it stateside unless you need that sweet, sweet limited edition.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 3, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JAMOOOL posted:

oh by the way I did wind up getting the ultrasonic cleaner. it's this one, if you're interested.

I was interested because this is way cheaper than any ultrasonic cleaner I'd ever seen. as you might imagine there's some shoddiness to it...the instructions are literally five blurry photos out of order. but it's not hard to put together. it's just the tank and the spindle which has a motor that rotates the records. unlike some reviewers I did seem to get all the right parts at least.

anyway, I don't wanna bore with the details. the results have been....kinda all over the map. it has definitely "rescued" some albums which I wanted to replace - night & day difference, way better than the spin clean. it has also done effectively nothing on others. obviously it depends what exactly the imperfections are but sometimes it's hard to tell. some of the records I ran through looked scratched as hell but wound up playing pretty well afterwards.

what it's been really good on is some of the ambient stuff I have - Kankyo Ongaku & Green by Hiroshi Yoshimura. both of these albums came new so obviously they're in great shape, but they've have some pops & crackle that are quite annoying given the nature of the music. I am not sure where that came from (maybe the factory?) but after a go in there they are nearly dead silent. but the biggest improvement is on dirty old stuff. it doesn't work miracles - there's still some surface noise but it's notably quieter. the real change is in the sound of the music itself. everything is so much cleaner; you don't get that distortion on the loud bits anymore. the bass is much more clear. keep in mind this is all stuff I already ran through the spin clean. so it does make a difference. sometimes!! on other records, it didn't really do much of anything! so who knows??

should you get one? idk, depends on the value of your collection.

This collection is invaluable LOL I may well get one of the two shown here but probably not till after I move from this apt.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Another package from Japan, those reissues are expensive (but not as much as the originals!)
Top left is Yuko Nagisa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf3-rIWJbOs
bottom left is Tetsuro Kugi https://www.discogs.com/release/13622405-Tetsuro-Kugi-%E5%87%BA%E9%80%A2%E3%81%84%E3%81%AF%E3%81%84%E3%81%A4%E3%82%82
The other two are Kyoshi Yamaya reissues who does like free jazz/jazz funk/progressive rock with traditional japanese instruments

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Italians Do It Better situation is looking much better, apparently they had their reply in drafts but what's important is my stuff is on its way and already in the country. Just taking its time but I guess that's general shipping delays at work.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Mclusky Do Dallas! Repress! gently caress yeah!

https://christianfitness.bandcamp.com/campaign/mclusky-do-dallas

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Oh gently caress yes

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Time to sell my white copy and buy a cheapo

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

pretty nice haul today (bottom right is LP5)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

My partner's teenage half-niece came by to visit for Thanksgiving, and she hung out with me in my music room for a few hours while we listened to various 80s bops. Apparently, she is now telling her family that she wants a record player for Christmas... :yeshaha:
She called me "the cool aunt" and my dead little black heart melted. :')

Speaking of 80s, I have Greek copies of Rick Astley's second and third albums on their way. :dance:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Time to hand her a pile of records you dont want anymore and make some room :buddy:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Read After Burning posted:

My partner's teenage half-niece came by to visit for Thanksgiving, and she hung out with me in my music room for a few hours while we listened to various 80s bops. Apparently, she is now telling her family that she wants a record player for Christmas... :yeshaha:

Speaking of 80s, I have Greek copies of Rick Astley's second and third albums on their way. :dance:

You mean you didn't spend a good ten minutes complaining and trying to convince her that collecting records in 2021 is a bad idea?

Weird.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

:3:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H posted:

You mean you didn't spend a good ten minutes complaining and trying to convince her that collecting records in 2021 is a bad idea?

Weird.

Well, I've only been collecting since March of this year, so I haven't gotten all bitter and jaded...yet. Give me a couple years, ha.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure her other aunts are like, strict Mormons. :P I basically won by default.

By the way, CaptainBeefheart! Thought you'd be interested to know that one of the ads on that "Hawaiian radio DJ" album was announcing Gordon Lightfoot and Peter Frampton coming to the Wakiki Shell concert venue. It was a fascinating look into the past! I'd record some of it for ya if I had good enough tech, but unfortunately all I have is the lovely audio on my phone.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm sick of online dealers who can't loving grade a goddamn record. VG+ doesn't mean the disc is full of scuffs and deep gouges.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

JAMOOOL posted:

pretty nice haul today (bottom right is LP5)

You gotta share the back cover of the Garfield album, though.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

dorium posted:

records you dont want anymore

No such thing. :colbert:

CPL593H posted:

I'm sick of online dealers who can't loving grade a goddamn record. VG+ doesn't mean the disc is full of scuffs and deep gouges.

"This record just has a straight-up bite mark in it. ...That's basically 'like new', right?"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

"This record just has a straight-up bite mark in it. ...That's basically 'like new', right?"

It's near mint - the flavor of the record.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mint -

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

har har har har

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

By the way, CaptainBeefheart! Thought you'd be interested to know that one of the ads on that "Hawaiian radio DJ" album was announcing Gordon Lightfoot and Peter Frampton coming to the Wakiki Shell concert venue. It was a fascinating look into the past! I'd record some of it for ya if I had good enough tech, but unfortunately all I have is the lovely audio on my phone.

That's interesting! I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for that type of record in the future, it would be neat to find a local station and hear old adverts.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Potentially weird question:

My tiny, NYC apartment is getting bug bombed next week. Will the chemicals used in that bomb mess with my vinyl collection in any way? Should I move the records to another room?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Potentially weird question:

My tiny, NYC apartment is getting bug bombed next week. Will the chemicals used in that bomb mess with my vinyl collection in any way? Should I move the records to another room?

If you have any Beatles records I'd say relocate them temporarily.

But serious answer I'm not sure. I'd hope that wouldn't be an issue.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Did they tell you to take any precautions with any of your belongings? I would probably bag up my books, records, and clothes to avoid them absorbing smells.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The Bandit posted:

Did they tell you to take any precautions with any of your belongings? I would probably bag up my books, records, and clothes to avoid them absorbing smells.

I mean we have to take everything out of the cupboards in the kitchen and since it’s a small NYC apartment my record collection is basically also in the kitchen hahah

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At my personal guess, if the bug poison attacked PVC there'd be a lot more at stake in your home that would take greater priority. Bagging stuff does sound like a good idea. Unless it's where the bugs hide.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Cool. Sounds like it should be fine then. Thanks everyone. I figured they’d be okay but also figured being overly cautious and asking wouldn’t hurt!!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Send them to me for safe keeping.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This one fits the theme of the vinyl thread

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I don't really buy used online anymore. Too many people just give a quick glance at the record if they even look at it. You can't really expect sellers to listen to every record through before they sell it either. Hell, I've missed some major skips at the store only to find out when I got home and spun it straight through.

Anyway. I made a new mix of non holiday music to get you through the holidays. As always, all vinyl from my stacks.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-psychadelic-christmas-tree-v3/

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thank you so much! I've really enjoyed the mixes you've linked lately.

Here are some recent thrift store finds:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

petit choux posted:

Here are some recent thrift store finds:

Hella jealous of these two. Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hella jealous of these two. Nice!

That art on the "Overcoming Sales Objections" is pretty f@#$ing boffo.