Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Captain Invictus posted:

I do kinda wish they'd insert arena bonuses in paper packs, like on the backs of ad cards/tokens and such. have a limit per day on the amount you can redeem or something I guess, but having something I could get more gold/gems from while I'm cracking packs would be neat. I think I heard the pokemon card game packs do that, or did that, but I'd much prefer an MTG version.

Very much this. Pokemon did have a code to open a pack on their online version in their packs. -_-

They have promo packs they give to WPN stores, those have a code for a pack and you can only use 6 per set, yielding 6 packs total, and the prerelease is 1 per set, with 6 packs, so the total that I know of that you can get is 12 free packs?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This was a very fun deck to play, 7-1

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Strong Sauce posted:

doesn't this kinda exist already with pixie guide? granted you can't choose which die to ignore with that card

yes and Barbarian Class, the other Thumb would be really nice as an upgrade for that Commander deck

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Taking a break from merfolk to play the nutty shaman collected company deck at my LGS tonight

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Taking a break from merfolk to play the nutty shaman collected company deck at my LGS tonight

Did you get mad that Merfolk was winning too much or...?

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yes and Barbarian Class, the other Thumb would be really nice as an upgrade for that Commander deck

It's this. Not like the Riku deck I'm building isn't already half silver border anyway. But I like the idea of Un sets being like the most hosed up future sight so seeing a card like that cross over would be... validating that idea? It would be neat to see wizards really explore an idea in an Un set and then bring over what ever is fair to 'real' magic.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Harmonic Prodigy is a fun card more people should play

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Did you get mad that Merfolk was winning too much or...?

I just like to shake things up

Froghammer posted:

Harmonic Prodigy is a fun card more people should play

It really is. I ended up going 2-2 tonight, not too shabby imo

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You'll definitely shake things up with those two decks! CoCo Merfolk maintains a really high winrate on arena from what I've seen. Do you use collected company in your merfolk deck too?

https://mtga.untapped.gg/meta/decks/190/simic-merfolk/AAQAAQACrrMCxtQOAe7dHQv0D5NUliXnAdWyAco0t9wHfPc92-ACy8wTAQmMBQA

Not a huge sample size for this one, but I've been so tempted to make it after seeing how explosive it is.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Opinionated posted:

You'll definitely shake things up with those two decks! CoCo Merfolk maintains a really high winrate on arena from what I've seen. Do you use collected company in your merfolk deck too?

https://mtga.untapped.gg/meta/decks/190/simic-merfolk/AAQAAQACrrMCxtQOAe7dHQv0D5NUliXnAdWyAco0t9wHfPc92-ACy8wTAQmMBQA

Not a huge sample size for this one, but I've been so tempted to make it after seeing how explosive it is.

They're playing modern where is mono blue, unless nikachu has changed the meta again

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

They're playing modern where is mono blue, unless nikachu has changed the meta again

Yeah. I would love to build the historic simic version on arena but I need a ton of wildcards for it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They're making tourney winner cards embedded with store names on them. Feels late to do so, but kind of sweet.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The World Inferno posted:

They're making tourney winner cards embedded with store names on them. Feels late to do so, but kind of sweet.

thats only for premium WPN stores

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The World Inferno posted:

That is cool

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It really is. I ended up going 2-2 tonight, not too shabby imo

What's your deck list

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Twitter question I thought was interesting: Modern design of MtG cards doesn't really let Red get spells that just straight-up destroy creatures*, instead Red gets effects that deal damage. How much damage can a spell that costs R do creatures before it feels like a break?

Unholy Heat is in 25% of Modern decks and even though its conditional, it can basically deal 6 damage to any creature or planeswalker. In a lot of ways, it's significantly better than Fatal Push (11% of decks), which was previously one of the best 1 CMC removal spells in the format.

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 2, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sit on my Facebook posted:

What's your deck list

4 Copperline Gorge
4 Cragcrown Pathway // Timbercrown Pathway
5 Forest
5 Mountain
4 Stomping Ground
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Collected Company
4 Elvish Visionary
3 Eternal Witness
4 Flamekin Harbinger
3 Goblin Anarchomancer
4 Harmonic Prodigy
4 Ignoble Hierarch
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rage Forger

2 Dismember
2 Leyline of the Void
4 Magus of the Moon
3 Reclamation Sage
2 Soul-Guide Lantern
2 Void Mirror

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

Twitter question I thought was interesting: Modern design of MtG cards doesn't really let Red get spells that just straight-up destroy things, instead Red gets effects that deal damage. How much damage can a spell that costs R do before it feels like a break?

They get straight up destroy for artifacts. 3 for unconditional, 4 against enemy card types, or 6 is you can hump through some hoops (and not go face).

I think unholy heat is bonkers, just not every deck can meet the requirements and that is its only balance mechanism. Card is just nuts.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

They get straight up destroy for artifacts. 3 for unconditional, 4 against enemy card types, or 6 is you can hump through some hoops (and not go face).

I think unholy heat is bonkers, just not every deck can meet the requirements and that is its only balance mechanism. Card is just nuts.

Fair enough I should have specified it can't just straight up destroy creatures.

I think part of the problem is that UH can be played in decks that don't really care about GY stuff other than getting Delirium, because getting Instant/Sorcery/Land in the yard just happens for free. You only have to make a relatively minor deckbuilding concession to get access to it. If the effect is good enough that it requires a restriction, the restriction should probably actually be restrictive lol. It's similar to other "Problem Card" Lurrus in that regard.

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 2, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

Fair enough I should have specified it can't just straight up destroy creatures.

I think part of the problem is that UH can be played in decks that don't really care about GY stuff other than getting Delirium, because getting Instant/Sorcery/Land in the yard just happens for free. You only have to make a relatively minor deckbuilding concession to get access to it. If the effect is good enough that it requires a restriction, the restriction should probably actually be restrictive lol. It's similar to other "Problem Card" Lurrus in that regard.

Total agreement here. bauble/lurrus keeps finding ways to value town things for so little opportunity cost.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do you think an Unholy Heat that cares about Threshold instead of Delirium would be more or less egregious? I haven't thought about it at all but it feels like Bauble is more generically playable than any of the good Threshold enablers.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Do you think an Unholy Heat that cares about Threshold instead of Delirium would be more or less egregious? I haven't thought about it at all but it feels like Bauble is more generically playable than any of the good Threshold enablers.

Less imo, getting 4 cards of different types isn't really that difficult and can probably reliably be done a lot quicker than getting 7 of any type

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I mean it's a good idea, but for some reason I still don't like it

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ilmucche posted:

Same

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I love it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The, "What if play design did their job the first try," format. The, "How can we nerf your cards without handing out wildcards," format.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
For some reason I remember threshold being on Maro’s list of mechanics that will never come back and I think that is wrong and bad

Gimme more werebears dammit

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I think I preferred it when these were gimmick formats that would rotate in and out.
Thankfully I don't play standard or I would be hyper pissed when a card takes over a format and there's no recourse except banning which they're loath to do.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arivia posted:

For some reason I remember threshold being on Maro’s list of mechanics that will never come back and I think that is wrong and bad

Gimme more werebears dammit

Drc is the more werebear

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I did actually say I'd prefer a format separate from historic where they'd do all their online fuckery so I'm actually happy they're doing this. Adding that davriel and conjure poo poo to historic was not a great idea. Have a place where you can actually develop a decent metagame. But let's be clear, it is a giant admission of failure of the play design org.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Red spending one mana to kill my guy is just kinda what I expect from read. Ya' Always Bolt Tha Bird.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I did actually say I'd prefer a format separate from historic where they'd do all their online fuckery so I'm actually happy they're doing this. Adding that davriel and conjure poo poo to historic was not a great idea. Have a place where you can actually develop a decent metagame. But let's be clear, it is a giant admission of failure of the play design org.

The rebalanced poo poo and new cards are gonna be historic legal though lol.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Alchemy feels like the platonic ideal of “Thanks, I hate it.”

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

IMO Arena's biggest strength is its relationship to the paper game, and every move they make that diverges the two is a mistake. All the digital only Horizons cards were a pretty big dud, so the only impact they had was they blew opportunities to put cooler legacy cards in and now made it technically impossible to have Historic tournaments in paper. All this does is cause bigger divergence between the two games and fragment the player base.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

IMO Arena's biggest strength is its relationship to the paper game, and every move they make that diverges the two is a mistake.

Agreed, the big draw for Arena for me was being able to get back into a game I loved when I was younger

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

fadam posted:

IMO Arena's biggest strength is its relationship to the paper game, and every move they make that diverges the two is a mistake. All the digital only Horizons cards were a pretty big dud, so the only impact they had was they blew opportunities to put cooler legacy cards in and now made it technically impossible to have Historic tournaments in paper. All this does is cause bigger divergence between the two games and fragment the player base.

yeah i don't like this at all. especially if it modifies real paper cards and "balances" them in digital

just sounds more like WOTC wants more and more money for less and less effort imo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The way its worded is kinda weird, makes it seem like rebalanced paper cards will be in historic with the unmodified paper version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

"yo sorry we created a 5/5 creature costing 2 mana that wins you the game if you can cast it first (because it can't be countered) in our most recent paper release, we are not planning to do anything about it. also we like to announce we got rid of it in your alchemy version of the set release so if you want to play that.. well its right there on arena"