Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Fate Accomplice posted:

were there addons besides "all in?"

cause that's what I did.

I added an extra set of the villain dice to that, figuring you never know if two people want to play Assassin villains or whatever. It was a mistake, it basically moved me a boat or two down the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

theironjef posted:

I added an extra set of the villain dice to that, figuring you never know if two people want to play Assassin villains or whatever. It was a mistake, it basically moved me a boat or two down the list.

your plan makes sense, and that really sucks about the result.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

theironjef posted:

LOL, poo poo, I just checked and I did the same.
Oh well.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

theironjef posted:

:psyduck: how does that work

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Infinitum posted:

:psyduck: how does that work

They probably shipped the most common basic pledges first in descending order of popularity, then the individual addons as lowest priority. And then it's not uncommon for fulfillment to prioritize the pledges that are one ready to go package or at least an identical set of pieces over things with extra addons that need to be individually packed and rechecked to make sure everything's there.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Is your shelf not already on the brink of collapse from the ludicrous volume of plastic minis on it? Do you want a physical version of video games you already own because you feel societal collapse is imminent?

Gearbox and Monster Fight Club are here to help. The Borderlands boardgame is now on KS.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Father Wendigo posted:

Is your shelf not already on the brink of collapse from the ludicrous volume of plastic minis on it? Do you want a physical version of video games you already own because you feel societal collapse is imminent?

Gearbox and Monster Fight Club are here to help. The Borderlands boardgame is now on KS.

I will never understand why a large number of mini-heavy boardgame kickstarters don't have detailed shots of the minis. I'm their target market (I assume, since that's the only type of games I back) but I always assume if there are no detailed shots of the minis then they are hiding something.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I know Jackhole Wizard Luke Crane ain't exactly a fan-favorite around here anymore, but, unless I missed it, I'm still a bit surprised nobody posted about the Torchbearer 2E physical stuff showing up a bit ago. I got the GM kit and it's one of the nicest RPG products I own. Just gorgeous production values. Gilt edges, embossed covers, iridescent symbols on wooden dice. Not to mention the coins. Basically, less Luke, more Thor going forward works for me if this is what we get.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wow, that is noice!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pretty cool! Shame the poo poo rear end cock-fucker erstatz wizard piss baby cancelled my pledge and told me never to buy his stuff.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Father Wendigo posted:

Rulebook has many holes from a first reading, and seems way too fiddly for what it is.

Really not confidence inspiring

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
So there's no late pledge PDF-only bundle for mothership? :raise:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hollandia posted:

So there's no late pledge PDF-only bundle for mothership? :raise:

"please pirate our poo poo"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mouzer posted:

Rulebook has many holes from a first reading, and seems way too fiddly for what it is.

Really not confidence inspiring
That's Borderlands babey!!!!!!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Anyone have a take on this? It seems neat but I'm not sure it justifies the cost.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So anyone here who can tell me about Vaesen? The art is pushing me hard towards a high tier and I love what they did with TOR2.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/vaesen-rpg-mythic-britain-and-ireland

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

dwarf74 posted:

So anyone here who can tell me about Vaesen? The art is pushing me hard towards a high tier and I love what they did with TOR2.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/vaesen-rpg-mythic-britain-and-ireland

I saw the campaign, but couldn't find any discussion of the actual mechanics, so I'd be interested in hearing this too

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Anyone have a take on this? It seems neat but I'm not sure it justifies the cost.

I just don’t know what it does differently or better than another game that would justify me playing it over something else. There’s a lot of high quality games in the campaign-driven rpg space. All Gloomhavens, Arkham LCG, KDM, Tainted Grail, Etherfields, Middara… while each of those games have differing amount of story versus combat, they do have strong themes and narratives.

Heroes of the Shire looks like the Vindication of the genre. Potentially really streamlined and focused game with little to no narrative or theme. I would imagine it does about as well as Vindication for similar reasons. So it will probably be a success but not enough to continue adding to it or doing broad releases outside.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It's the usual Year Zero system, with a bit of a twist as to how monsters are handled.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Honestly, I love Vaesen, I think it's the best of Free League's games. Very simple, but intuitive, and the base building mechanic makes sense in the setting. Characters will mostly be trying to find out what the monster is and what it's weakness is, because most of the Vaesen come back after being killed by traditional means. Horror and damage have consequences, but aren't immediately lethal unless you roll bad multiple times, but the stakes always feel high.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Posted this in the Industry thread, figured it's relevant here, too:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Came here to post that.

I figure Gamefound are about to see a sudden spike in interest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, I guess Voyages is my last KS game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

potatocubed posted:

I figure Gamefound are about to see a sudden spike in interest.

Gamefound is only good for established companies with a big follower count waiting for projects. Terrible for small projects with no built in audience. KS audience is massive, 83% of my backers were from on-site discovery.

This just sucks all around. Hopefully everyone makes enough noise to shut this down.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, Kickstarter's massive internal marketing engine is pretty much responsible for all my crowdfunding success. Nothing else matches it.

But gently caress crypto.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Echophonic posted:

I know Jackhole Wizard Luke Crane ain't exactly a fan-favorite around here anymore, but, unless I missed it, I'm still a bit surprised nobody posted about the Torchbearer 2E physical stuff showing up a bit ago. I got the GM kit and it's one of the nicest RPG products I own. Just gorgeous production values. Gilt edges, embossed covers, iridescent symbols on wooden dice. Not to mention the coins. Basically, less Luke, more Thor going forward works for me if this is what we get.

I also got my kit and it really does all look gorgeous. can't wait to play some games

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's a link on the kickstarter homepage where you can email them with your thoughts, if you have a mind to do that. It won't matter but it is very funny. Guess I'm about to save a lot of money.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It sounds like it's mostly a move to cut out the credit card companies and shove processing and security off onto consumers. Which I guess is how we get most bullshit technology that makes life worse for everyone except (insert monopolist/near-monopolist here).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
They're making a 2nd company for BLOCKCHAINSTARTER and not changing kickstarter itself per the article.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

dwarf74 posted:

They're making a 2nd company for BLOCKCHAINSTARTER and not changing kickstarter itself per the article.

the second paragraph posted:

When it’s ready, Kickstarter will switch its own website to the new infrastructure,

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

even if accurate it wouldn't make it less lovely.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Eh, I was probably spending too much on Kickstarter anyway. Good reason to go cold turkey.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Well never mind. Remainder of the article was about setting up a 2nd company.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Is there *any* credence to be given to their partnership with Celo, who claims to be carbon-neutral in their blockchaining? Part of me wants to storm away from Kickstarter, but part of me is like... am I really doing any better by supporting, say, Gamefound who, while not blockchained, probably put together the biggest unnecessary plastic endeavors in all of gaming? I mean, I'm not exactly taking an environmental stand just by saying Blockchain Bad!

(I'm not bad-faithing this inquiry - I seriously don't know how to feel about this.)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My understanding is that celo achieves it's carbon neutral/negative by buying carbon credits and donating to various causes and stuff, same way most companies pretend to be.

E: that said blockchains on their own don't cause environmental catastrophy, it's when paired with a mining or minting process that you get 300,000,000 RTX 3080s melting the ice caps. It's not unlikely that they will do a KickstarterCoin or some other hairbrained bullshit, but I'm gonna wait and see before I swear off the platform.

Double edit: looks like celos tech is proof-of-stake, which is doesn't require the whole GPU mining nonsense. Blockchain Bad for a lot of reasons but in this instance it's doing about as much damage to the climate as any other payment processing system. Probably. Depending on how horseshit kickstarter wants to be.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 9, 2021

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

My understanding is that celo achieves it's carbon neutral/negative by buying carbon credits and donating to various causes and stuff, same way most companies pretend to be.

E: that said blockchains on their own don't cause environmental catastrophy, it's when paired with a mining or minting process that you get 300,000,000 RTX 3080s melting the ice caps. It's not unlikely that they will do a KickstarterCoin or some other hairbrained bullshit, but I'm gonna wait and see before I swear off the platform.

Double edit: looks like celos tech is proof-of-stake, which is doesn't require the whole GPU mining nonsense. Blockchain Bad for a lot of reasons but in this instance it's doing about as much damage to the climate as any other payment processing system. Probably. Depending on how horseshit kickstarter wants to be.

Looking forward to processing payments through this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

time your campaigns for the dip! buy high sell low!

honestly as a creator the two big things with this is if they allow people to back with crypto then that's gonna be a loving nightmare, and the other half of the article talks about how Kickstarter wants you to basically run your own instance of Kickstarter, which I have to assume they'd want a cut for. that'd let them cut out on the already pretty limited services they do provide, while extending their monopoly on the crowdfunding scene, and still getting their 10%. I wonder if the union is gonna say anything

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

watch as kickstarter times the payouts when the value of the coin is at it's lowest and its taxes when it's highest value

Anyways

how is the Horizon Zero Dawn game? I missed the kickstarter but I want those minis :(

I heard the game is meh though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xposting here too because I hate it:

What possible benefit could it even have? The blockchain serves no purpose and solves no problem here (or anywhere).

It's just as dumb as Ubisoft adding NFTs for cosmetic items in their games. They literally already have ways to buy cosmetics and they're already tied to your game accounts and crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think mostly its "saying blockchain makes our investors cum" honestly, it's a huge fad in tech rn. Investors demand constant growth and "innovations", it's not good enough to be profitable, you have to say you're gonna do something new that will make you 30% more profitable than last year, even if that's not true. half of the tech industry is either in on the grift and forcing this poo poo so their personal holdings go up, or are actively being grifted into pushing this stuff for investors or other controlling agents so you're probably gonna see a lot of this nonsense before it pops.