Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Uthor posted:

That's just regular damage from an Amazon shipment!

No kidding. I've had books in far worse condition come in the mail after paying full price for them. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My experiences from Amazon are pretty bad. They've shipped a few of my omnibus padded envelope. They also shipped them in a box with no padding, but I guess if it's all bubble packs it doesn't matter cause the book will crush it. I just stick with IST, OPB and CGN.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

X-Men: Fall of the Mutants, which has been OOP in hardcover format for decades, is finally getting an omnibus release next year. The content will be exactly the same as the old hardcover release.

Other new omnibus announcements include Ultimate X-Men, Wolverine vol. 3, King in Black and . . . Avengers vs. X-Men. Look forward to that last one being discounted to $40 at a Barnes & Noble near you! :haw:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

JordanKai posted:

. Avengers vs. X-Men. Look forward to that last one being discounted to $40 at a Barnes & Noble near you! :haw:

Was this the one where Cyclops somehow gets the Phoenix powers and was kinda a bratty rear end in a top hat the whole time?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

obi_ant posted:

Was this the one where Cyclops somehow gets the Phoenix powers and was kinda a bratty rear end in a top hat the whole time?

That's the one. It's not one of Marvel's best events, that's for sure.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I feel like for a superstar event that AvX was supposed to be, someone should've noticed this...
Piotr
Emma
Namor
Illyana
Scott

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

RevKrule posted:

I feel like for a superstar event that AvX was supposed to be, someone should've noticed this...
Piotr
Emma
Namor
Illyana
Scott

Haha, that's very astute. Good intuition, not always picked up by the comics writers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I woke up this morning and wanted to celebrate some good news, and purchased the complete Hellboy Omnibus for about $80. Hellboy is the comic book I’m probably most emotionally attached to, it’s the comic that’s impacted my life the longest, and I felt the need to own it. Excited for when my books come in on Friday, I’m gonna get torched and stay up late reading about ghosts and ghoulies and just soak in the rich Mignola signature blacks.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

My dude, this is the last place you’ll find judgement for spending money to make it twitch. Enjoy the ‘boy.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Bust Rodd posted:

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I woke up this morning and wanted to celebrate some good news, and purchased the complete Hellboy Omnibus for about $80. Hellboy is the comic book I’m probably most emotionally attached to, it’s the comic that’s impacted my life the longest, and I felt the need to own it. Excited for when my books come in on Friday, I’m gonna get torched and stay up late reading about ghosts and ghoulies and just soak in the rich Mignola signature blacks.

Yeah. I've sold the majority of my collection in the past few years but my Hellboy Library Editions and BPRD hardcovers aren't going anywhere. Just started reading The Devil You Know.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I'm going through the Darkness complete collection and I'm sad to report that none of the lettering errors that were present in the original comics have been fixed. The book is still riddled with typos and speech balloons that are assigned to the wrong characters. The latter is especially weird; it's an issue that I've never seen crop up as frequently as it does in this book.

I guess that's early Image editorial standards for you.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Heck yeah. If you can, spring for the oversized artists edition books too, the oversized black and white artwork is breathtaking.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

ruddiger posted:

Heck yeah. If you can, spring for the oversized artists edition books too, the oversized black and white artwork is breathtaking.

Yeah. I have actually been tempted to cut pictures out and frame them. Just can't bring myself to do it. Yet.

Currently rearranging my house a bit. Here is my current little Hellboy setup.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

They're never going to reprint the Plague of Frogs in HC again are they? I've been waiting for years.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

obi_ant posted:

They're never going to reprint the Plague of Frogs in HC again are they? I've been waiting for years.

You'll get paperback reprints and you'll like 'em! :toughguy:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

New Hickman-era X-Men hardcovers have been announced (though some of them had already leaked to retailers ages ago)! Excalibur vol. 2, Marauders vol. 2, and last but not least: the complete Hellions !! :woop:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Hickman X-Men seems like such a mess to read. I only collect in HC or omnibus, so I've only read HoX / PoX. I'm holding out for an omnibus with good mapping or at least a large HC or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's basically HoX/PoX, read whatever you want, X of Swords, read whatever you want, Hellfire Gala, read whatever you want. Not sure how Inferno will tie in.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

It's basically HoX/PoX, read whatever you want, X of Swords, read whatever you want, Hellfire Gala, read whatever you want. Not sure how Inferno will tie in.

I don’t need to read that dawn of x stuff?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

obi_ant posted:

It's not like HoX/PoX. There are occasionally small crossovers (plus things like XoS and the Gala) but for the most part the series are self-contained and you don't have to read, say, X-Force unless you want to.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

obi_ant posted:

The "Dawn of X" and "Reign of X" trades are basically an experiment in doing a sort of vaguely manga-inspired organizational principle, in which instead of, say, buying a trade including X-Men #1-6, one including X-Force #1-6, one including Excalibur #1-6, etc., you can just buy a cheap monthly digest including issue #1 of each book, then another including issue #2, and so on and so forth, although as some books end and others begin the actual organization begins to get a bit staggered (although as far as I can tell pretty intuitively ordered). It's an alternative to the single-title trades, not a supplement.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

All of the current X-Men books are surprisingly self-contained, crossovers notwithstanding. I guess you might want to read Excalibur to get all the context needed for X of Swords and read X-Factor before Trial of Magneto, but even that isn't a must.

In other words,

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Even X of Swords is pretty much a side story. You *definitely* do not have to read the whole thing, and basically if you just pick up the X of Swords special issues, plus whatever you want in the middle, you'll get the important beats of the story. It's like six issues of story in a 22 issue crossover. (I think this is *intentional* but just beware.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Even X of Swords is pretty much a side story. You *definitely* do not have to read the whole thing, and basically if you just pick up the X of Swords special issues, plus whatever you want in the middle, you'll get the important beats of the story. It's like six issues of story in a 22 issue crossover. (I think this is *intentional* but just beware.)

Yeah, I did that and now wanna go back and read the rest cause there seemed to be interesting beats that I missed. I should make a list and see if any of the local shops have those issues.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks guys. I've been sitting on this XoS for a hot minute. Going to dive into it for sure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
With Herring and Robinson closed down for new business...anyone have any good recommends for a bindery that can take single issues and bind them into custom hardcovers? I've got a bit of a backlog now

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Some guy posted this on the Omnibus collector's group...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Secret Wars II…the rarest of the rare omnibuses.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Once you start buying those "Marvel Universe by [x]" or "first issues of [x] year/reboot" omnibuses even God can't save you any more.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Assuming those are being bought and read, as opposed to just collected, it's beautiful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Secret Wars II is still in the plastic wrap. He’s just hoarding that beautiful restoration of the scene where Spiderman teaches the Beyonder to use a toilet!

I was going to commend his restraint in not getting the absolute Dark Knight Strikes Again, but then I remembered that it’s part of the original Dark Knight absolute, which also reminds me why I never bought it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

DKSA is great! (mostly)

Those photos are making me want to finish setting up my library after my move. Though it's a rental and I can't get as fancy as I'd like.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

That's a lot of omnis to not read.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I thank up above every day that I was able to course correct and learn to be selective.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

My local Ollie's hasn't gotten a new shipment of books in in almost a year. Anyone else having similar issues at their local Ollie's?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just finished X of Swords. It started off pretty promising, I liked that it wasn't a total battle to the death and there was a bunch of goofy games (I wish they expanded on them a lot more). The ending sort of fell short for me.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

My local Ollie's hasn't gotten a new shipment of books in in almost a year. Anyone else having similar issues at their local Ollie's?

I can't speak on Ollie's, but the global paper shortage is ravaging the comic book world as a whole. My LCS can't get its hands on some collected editions because the print runs are so small, and omnibuses and OHCs are selling out online during the preorder period. It's a warzone out there.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

JordanKai posted:

I can't speak on Ollie's, but the global paper shortage is ravaging the comic book world as a whole. My LCS can't get its hands on some collected editions because the print runs are so small, and omnibuses and OHCs are selling out online during the preorder period. It's a warzone out there.

Semi-related, my old boss and I co-wrote a book chapter for an academic research book that keeps getting delayed. It was supposed to finally be out in November, but that came and went, and I found out yesterday that due to printing delays at this relatively small legal publishing company, the new target date is January. So all printing and publishing are being affected by the paper shortage -- something I didn't even know about until yesterday!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah I have like.... one? Two? Paper bylines in 2021? A lot of journals just aren't even bothering right now, especially indie and small press lit journals.
Anyway yeah as for comics-- my wife has saved a lot of money because originally the Hellfire Gala HC was supposed to be my bday present, and then it was supposed to be my holiday present, but first it got bumped from October to December and now our LCS just didn't get any of the copies it ordered with the outlook for getting copies fairly dim. Maybe by Valentine's Day she'll be able to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I collect the Reign of X trades. Do I need to buy the Hellfire Gala HC like how I did with X of Swords after the end of Dawn of X, or is it material already collected in the Reign trades?