Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I know I'm not the only one that did a did I click on D&D double check this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I think voting still matters in some local stuff but I’ve totally given up on the centrist Dems after being a sucker one last time and voting for Biden.

The horrors on the border are still going, reproductive rights on the way out, drug laws are still regressive, zero police reform, no healthcare, no consequences for those behind the insurrection, and no education cost reform.

The mainline Dems are so loving worthless at this point that voting for them does more harm than good.

Oh an insulin and epinephrine is still insanely expensive and the sackler family isn’t all dead or in prison.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 3, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Platystemon posted:

Rectum?

drat near killed ’em.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?
In Florida Man news...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/politics/florida-state-guard-desantis/index.html

quote:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis wants to reestablish a World War II-era civilian military force that he, not the Pentagon, would control.
DeSantis pitched the idea Thursday as a way to further support the Florida National Guard during emergencies, like hurricanes. The Florida National Guard has also played a vital role during the pandemic in administering Covid-19 tests and distributing vaccines.
But in a nod to the growing tension between Republican states and the Biden administration over the National Guard, DeSantis also said this unit, called the Florida State Guard, would be "not encumbered by the federal government." He said this force would give him "the flexibility and the ability needed to respond to events in our state in the most effective way possible." DeSantis is proposing bringing it back with a volunteer force of 200 civilians, and he is seeking $3.5 million from the state legislature in startup costs to train and equip them.

The move by DeSantis comes on the heels of Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin's directive warning that National Guard members who refuse to get vaccinated against the coronavirus will have their pay withheld and barred from training. Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt, a Republican, had requested an exemption for guard members in his state, which Austin denied.

Democrats in Florida immediately expressed alarm at DeSantis' announcement. US Rep. Charlie Crist, who is running as a Democrat to challenge the governor in 2022, tweeted, "No Governor should have his own handpicked secret police."

State Sen. Annette Taddeo, another gubernatorial candidate, wrote on Twitter that DeSantis was a "wannabe dictator trying to make his move for his own vigilante militia like we've seen in Cuba."
The Florida State Guard was created in 1941 during World War II as a temporary force to fill the void left behind when the Florida National Guard was deployed to assist in the US combat efforts. It was disbanded after the war ended, but the authority for a governor to establish a state defense force remained.

States have the power to create defense forces separate from the national guard, though not all of them use it. If Florida moves ahead with DeSantis' plan to reestablish the civilian force, it would become the 23rd active state guard in the country, DeSantis' office said in a press release, joining California, Texas and New York.
"Reestablishing the Florida State Guard will allow civilians from all over the state to be trained in the best emergency response techniques and have the ability to mobilize very, very quickly," DeSantis said during a visit to Pensacola on Thursday.
State defense guards are little-known auxiliary forces with origins dating back to the advent of state militias in the 18th century. While states and the Department of Defense share control of the National Guard, state guards are solely in the power of a governor.
State guards are typically deployed to respond during a disaster, though governors have found other reasons to call them into action.
In 2015, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott used the Texas state guard to monitor federal military exercises in his state, responding to what was at the time a fast-growing conspiracy theory that the federal government was using Walmart parking lots to prepare for a future state of martial law. Abbott said the guards were just collecting information to keep Texans safe during the multi-week exercises.
Florida law authorizes the governor to maintain a defense force as "necessary to assist the civil authorities in maintaining law and order," meaning DeSantis would have another force to respond to unrest that may erupt in the future. DeSantis swiftly deployed the Florida National Guard to major cities after protests and violence broke out in response to the murder of George Floyd in Minnesota.

DeSantis has also stationed Florida National Guard troops at the Texas-Mexico border and sent them to Washington, DC, to help protect the US Capitol during the inauguration of President Joe Biden.
The announcement on Thursday came during a broader rollout of DeSantis' plan to bolster Florida's National Guard, which included $100 million in funding proposals to establish three new armories, build a new headquarters for the National Guard Counter Drug Program and provide support for Florida National Guardsmen seeking higher-education degrees.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Right wing militias being given official status? No lurch towards fascism here!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

A company of florida men

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
A brigade of meal team six.

"We shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them at the Disney World, we shall fight them at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville..."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Untagged posted:

I know I'm not the only one that did a did I click on D&D double check this morning.

Well, some of us served for a reason, whether misguided or not.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/Jazzmodeus2/status/1466107718964547592?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If your counter to the rising right is to disengage and stop opposing them in the political arena, I question the strategy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

If your counter to the rising right is to disengage and stop opposing them in the political arena, I question the strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOTyUfOHgas

This also applies to the DNC too. lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I don’t see how it’s better to vote for a group of people that resign and do nothing. I’ll vote for the left-wing that actually at least try sometimes but I’m done with the mainstream Dems. We already lost the Supreme Court so what’s the point? Voting third party or protest voting en masse is the only thing that’ll make them wake up.

gently caress handing these cynical assholes my vote when they’re working in lockstep with the GOP as token opposition

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I don’t see how it’s better to vote for a group of people that resign and do nothing. I’ll vote for the left-wing that actually at least try sometimes but I’m done with the mainstream Dems. We already lost the Supreme Court so what’s the point? Voting third party or protest voting en masse is the only thing that’ll make them wake up.

gently caress handing these cynical assholes my vote when they’re working in lockstep with the GOP as token opposition

Well just give it to people that should get it like Fetterman vs the DNC (guilty there last cycle) or someone like Beto or whatever dumbass money pit (like the one against Graham or McConnell) else some DNC grifter will start.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I don’t give a dollar to the DNC or the big-name but obviously failed candidates (like McConnell’s past opponent or Beto)

Voting is free, and if I give to anyone, I try to find someone decent who has a good chance, even if they’re from another state. The DNC is terrible, but there are individuals out there running who are decent.

And based on studies one of the most effective ways to increase voter turnout is very cheap, though takes some time: Writing personal letters about why you’re voting. There are orgs that ID close races and let you target those areas.

Or just say gently caress national politics and stay active at local level, but protest voting conservative or staying home or something isn’t great.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Watch out for snakes!

https://twitter.com/EmGusk/status/1466783379085578246?t=OLzxhZLb40O-38Iq_NYkrQ&s=19

Woops!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm becoming more sympathetic to the idea that effecting change democratically involves forcing Democrats to lose so hard they can't even gain anything by being a forever complacent opposition

Too bad about the other effect of that basically being a fascism speed run

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If we surrendered to farther right-wing control out of frustration, yeah, some people could probably get by while tut-tutting about how bad it is. People like myself, a cishet white guy, might fare pretty OK while watching it crumble and hoping something better shows up in 12-40 years. But in the meantime, we'd be selling a lot of less fortunate folks down the river of further right-wing aspirations.

Accelerationism is a pretty privileged ideology, in my view. It's the assumption that you'll be fine while things accelerate, even if it's very bad for others, in the hopes of a longer-term payoff that may never come to fruition.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I hope the snakes are OK. Snakes are chill.

On electoralism, I've felt betrayed and dejected regularly after voting for Democrats over the past couple of decades. It's totally understandable that people would throw up their hands and say "gently caress this!" That said, throwing away voting as useless is a mistake as, if nothing else, local and sometimes state elections can be worth the effort and result in actual Good Things happening.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Loucks posted:

That said, throwing away voting as useless is a mistake as, if nothing else, local and sometimes state elections can be worth the effort and result in actual Good Things happening.

Yes, absolutely agreed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

People like myself, a cishet white guy, might fare pretty OK while watching it crumble and hoping something better shows up in 12-40 years.

Probably not since everyone's got a digital trail at this point and they're absolutely on track to kill ideological outsiders

mlmp08 posted:

Accelerationism is a pretty privileged ideology, in my view. It's the assumption that you'll be fine while things accelerate, even if it's very bad for others, in the hopes of a longer-term payoff that may never come to fruition.

This I agree with tho

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I will continue to write in for Bigfoot for president until Colorado is actually at risk of flipping red in the presidential election. Rest of the ballot will be straight D but gently caress voting for Biden or Kamala or Butts or Beto.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Uhhhh Ron Desantis wants to build a state militia separate from any connection with the Pentagon

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/politics/florida-state-guard-desantis/index.html

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
vote blue no matter who

And primary them from the left every election :getin:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Florida Special Forkses.

Delta-infected Force.

5th coronary group.

E: The Rascal Brigade.

The HoverRound Battalion.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 3, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Mickey Mouse Militia

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Watch out for snakes!

https://youtu.be/bpb6BfgzyME

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/jhermann/status/1466799550908321803?s=20

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Florida Special Forkses.

Delta-infected Force.

5th coronary group.

If they start acting like dipshits...

Future Afghan Wedding Party. :sherman:

I should add that a bunch of states have these, and usually to supplement NG Disaster relief. Of course Texas used it to "monitor Jade Helm" and I wouldn't trust Ronald McDeSantis one bit..

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

Accelerationism is bad and dumb. But I don’t see any point in voting for the mainline Dems until they start doing stuff since they seem to deliberately allowing themselves to lose to rile up their base without losing their donors. I’ll vote for the independents and progressives that actually kinda try.

I don’t see how enabling the Dems to play softball with fascists so they can keep the gravy train is any different than accelerationism. The only way to actually stop it is to stop enabling it.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I used to be a completely mainline lib. I now think that just 'owing' ones vote to the Dems on a "they're not as bad, it's a two party system" is part of why they feel no incentive to actually do anything. My new attitude is I think a healthy one, that politicians need to earn my vote. Joe earned a re-election vote from me for pulling out of Afghanistan. The only way that gets cancelled is if he starts another war. My so-called "progressive" rep who celebrated a bunch of people getting kicked off unemployment ("unemployment is at an all time low")? No. My moderate dem senators in my extremely blue state? Absolutely not.

But there's still time, they're welcome to try to earn my vote. They won't though, they'll just be mad at me for not realizing they're the better sort of people and that I owe them. And it's not like actually voting for dems has made moderate dems any less mad at me and people like me in the past.

Republicans aren't earning my vote either, but I'm not closed to the possibility. It's just hard to imagine as long as the Rs are a right wing party.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Florida Special Forkses.

Delta-infected Force.

5th coronary group.

Florida Auxillary Guard

"Send in the [REDACTED]s."

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Accelerationism is bad and dumb. But I don’t see any point in voting for the mainline Dems until they start doing stuff since they seem to deliberately allowing themselves to lose to rile up their base without losing their donors. I’ll vote for the independents and progressives that actually kinda try.

I don’t see how enabling the Dems to play softball with fascists so they can keep the gravy train is any different than accelerationism. The only way to actually stop it is to stop enabling it.

I have zero faith in the dems after January 6th. They are still trying to broker deals in good faith with people who tried to kill them.

Voting for the democrats to keep the fascists out would be essential if they were actually actively doing anything to keep the fascists out of power, but they aren't. I'm still gonna do it because I'm not delusional, but I'm not giving them a loving dime.

Also all you neolibs complaining about cspam and d&d need to take a look around you- this is one of the last neolib safe spaces on the forum. CSPAM is the most viewed subforum on the site for christ's sake. SA took a HARD turn to the left in the last four years.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Voting third party or protest voting en masse is the only thing that’ll make them wake up.

You're making the assumption that the Dems will turn leftwards if people stop voting for them. This is not and never has been born out by the evidence. Take the 1980s: The Dems lost Presidential elections in 1980, 84, and 88, the latter two of which were some of the most lopsided blowouts in American history. Did the Democrats turn leftwards? No, Bill Clinton won the primary, and the election, and the Third Way centrism became the defining ideology of the party for two and a half decades. And even after 2016, in the aftermath of losing to Donald Trump, the Democrats didn't turn leftwards—they turned to Joe Biden, and among the Democratic electorate the left wing of the Democratic primary got less votes in the competitive elections than they did just four years earlier.

Also it's worth mentioning that the Democrats are not a monolith. What message does it send if Raphael Warnock is voted out in Georgia next year? Or if Mark Kelly is voted out of office? In Michigan, state attorney general Dana Nessel told Dave Weigel of the Washington Post that she would not prosecute abortion cases when Roe is overturned—what the hell kind of message will it send if she's voted out?

Are there shithead dems? Absolutely. I agree with the premise that Sinema and Manchin are only the loudest assholes in the Senate, for instance, and that there's at least 3-4 (or more) Senators behind them that hold most of the same views. But at most, that's still only 10-20% of the caucus—and holding the rest of the party to account for the actions of the minority is, in my view, devastatingly counterproductive.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 3, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

holding the rest of the party to account for the actions of the minority is, in my view, devastatingly counterproductive.

So what about with the "actions of the minority" become / are the "actions of the entire party"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The Dems keep going right in part because they correctly surmise that their so-called left wing will follow them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Parents of the michigan school shooter collecting charges, 4 each for involuntary manslaughter.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
My big problem with accelerationism is that it implies that down the road, the party would eventually shape up. In a long distance view, the Labour party sort of disproves that thesis :v:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Parents of the michigan school shooter collecting charges, 4 each for involuntary manslaughter.

:toot:

https://twitter.com/DavidEggert00/status/1466816193642344455?t=LbYOMDbooGxTYNyicgshQw&s=19

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/12/03/oxford-high-school-shooting-suspect-parents-charged/

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 3, 2021

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EDIT: Never mind, not worth it.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 3, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Glad to have cspam, home of shooting your political opponents in the toe, around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The timeline appears to be:

"Hey... why are you searching for ammunition with your phone during school hours?"
*looks at drawings* HOLY poo poo GET THEIR PARENTS IN HERE
"Hey Mr/Mrs Fuckup, look at what we found here"
[unknown parental response]
Parents leave
Kid goes into bathroom and comes out shooting
Dad: hey my unlocked gun is missing

https://twitter.com/DavidEggert00/status/1466821141062893571

Edit: HOLY gently caress

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1466819872160165894

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1466821363935682564

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 3, 2021