Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rutibex posted:

:tipshat:
everyone please check out my Path of Exile Scourge League Lets Play! lots of screenshots for everyone to enjoy. the new infinite delve is unlocked today, will i be able to reach the bottom? :ohdear:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982511

Your description of the acts almost make it seem like PoE is a fun game. I remember it isn't though. You can't fool me!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Speaking of let's plays, does anyone know any good ones with 2+ players? I liked the let's play 25 years of final fantasy one (rip.) It's a lot more fun listening to people shoot the poo poo.

Roll the dice https://lparchive.org/?tags=group+video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Watching someone else replay video games for pretty much any reason other than getting better at the video game or solving a puzzle or something proves you to be subhuman.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

satanic splash-back posted:

Watching someone else replay video games for pretty much any reason other than getting better at the video game or solving a puzzle or something proves you to be subhuman.

THe only reason to watch someone else play a video game is that its 1983 playing Atari and ITS NOT YOUR loving TURN YET TODD!! JUST WAIT YOU DICK

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

!Klams posted:

I loving knew it.

The tutorial is pretty bad for leaving out a bunch of stuff (literally doesn't explain what a Jungler is) but coming from Dota you should be fine.

If you've got amazon Prime, there's a real good twitch prime thing at the moment where you get a bunch of stuff every month, including RP which is the currency you can normally only get with pounds quid that's used for cosmetics. (Plus I think some free champs / other bits?)

The game doesn't even let you play jungler for the first X hours until you level up your account enough to unlock the smite spell.
At least riot has cut out 98% of the stupid account progression for extra power stuff like masteries or buying p2w runes/runepages so now it's just a brief period in the "tutorial phase" of the game.

There used to be a time where you had to play for dozens and dozens of hours before you could unlock flash, the OP spell that is core always-pick on every character in every gamemode but which riot still pretends is "just another summoner spell option" after 12 years despite balancing the game around everyone having it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Blooster posted:

I bought Undertale for the Switch on Thanksgiving Day at 9am and beat it before the turkey even went into the oven at 1pm.

I love me some old school RPGs, especially Earth Bound and the like, but what a loving let down.

The game had a grand total of 7 NPCs. One single village to explore, with a grand total of four houses.

I don't know how or why anyone recommends this game. It's like playing a demo of a game. It would be like if Earth Bound ended after leaving Onett.

The battle mechanic was really cool but considering there was like 12 enemies the entire game (including bosses) it's not exactly something I got to experience much.

I can't remember ever being so let down by a game in my life. And it has like a 99% approval rating. It sucks poo poo.

I like Undertale, but as a game it is incredibly shallow. I also think the story isn't particularly deep, but it's fine for what it is. Throughout the game, elements are introduced and then they're done and gone before ten minutes are up. And there's no exploration in the game which just makes everything feel even smaller.

I get the limitations of indie games, but there really isn't much there in Undertale. At least I only paid about $5 for it which is reasonable for a bite-sized gaming experience. The worse purchase along those lines for me was Braid which I finished about 40 minutes after I installed it.

An unpopular gaming opinion: games absolutely should be judged on value for your money. There's a lot more to it than X hours of play for Y dollars, of course, but too many people think that it's some grave insult to say a game that you'll complete in one normal person evening play session isn't worth the asking price.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Rutibex posted:

should have bought Romancing Saga 3 noob

Just googled this, it looks amazing. Do I need to play the others first or are they like Final Fantasy games and have no relation to each other?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

!Klams posted:

I've said it before in this very thread, but it is weird how games are like the only media where to get all the content, you have to pass a skill check. Like if there was a book, and you got 'To read the final chapter, demonstrate an understanding of the central themes, and explain the significance of the conch' it would be kinda hosed up and potentially a bit classist. Like I get that games aren't as 'important' necessarily, but, y'know, all the same, it's sort of weird that someone without good aim doesn't get to see how the end of your favourite game* plays out.

(*-I have to go with that here because this thread loving hates all games and if I gave any example, someone would just go "WELL THAT WOULD BE A loving BLESSING BECAUSE [widely loved game] IS ACTUALLY DOG-CUM MIXED WITH HORSE poo poo")

/Edit: Could I have gotten away with Titanfall 2? I think that game is safe...

It's not weird at all, you could probably look up the word "game" in a dictionary and find something like "a skill based challenge", what you're describing as a weird attribute is actually the thing that marks the experience as a game instead of something else.

Books can be games too

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

I know someone who tried streaming for a while and when I told him I didn't really understand the concept of watching people play video games he said "You must have been an only child, huh?"

No, I wasn't, and that's exactly why I don't want to spend my time watching someone else play a videogame

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

THe only reason to watch someone else play a video game is that its 1983 playing Atari and ITS NOT YOUR loving TURN YET TODD!! JUST WAIT YOU DICK

I think my first words I learned to read were game over because my brother kept trying to trick me into believing his turn wasn't over yet.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That was me, i ended up feeling really shallow about that one. Went back and restarted legit and got up to the guardian ape before battering my head against him 40 times in a weekend and getting so fed up i uninstalled

Thanks. When you've put 4000 hours into one moba the idea of loading up another one just to get blazed and have mindless fun is very appealing

I found the opposite. I played a ton of league with buddies back in the day and then they all jumped ship to dota2 when that came out. I just couldn't be bothered to follow and have to relearn 50 billion heroes and pieces of equipment again.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rutibex posted:

i see you have never read Infinite Jest

lol but also that's something I've been trying to explain to people about that book for ages and that sums it up very succintly.

It's a book where you have to pass a skill check to get all of the content, but also a book designed around not needing to pass every skill check

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Being good at playing video games is something to be ashamed of, it's like being good at eating potato chips or film analysis

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I know someone who tried streaming for a while and when I told him I didn't really understand the concept of watching people play video games he said "You must have been an only child, huh?"

No, I wasn't, and that's exactly why I don't want to spend my time watching someone else play a videogame

Your friend is dumb

Successful streamers bring something else to the table, it can be humor or insightful commentary or something else. Conan O Brien does little gameplay videos because he's a talented comedian who can make basically anything funny, the game is just a different medium for doing that; talented streamers understand that last bit, they don't just play the game, they create a unique experience.

Kind of like how talk radio is more popular than a monotone news segment. Both shows can be presenting the same information, but one adds additional entertainment value that people like.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
This does mean that like 95% of videogame footage uploaded online is by someone trying to do a bit or play a personality nowadays.
Makes it a huge pain in the rear end if you just want to see some gameplay of a game to see whether it looks interesting without some youtube dope shouting over it about likes

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Lonely people with too much time on their hands is the target audience of streamers. Mostly children and young adults. But every now and then you'll get 40 somethings creating parasocial relationships with the 20 year old streamer which is... certainly something

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

This does mean that like 95% of videogame footage uploaded online is by someone trying to do a bit or play a personality nowadays.
Makes it a huge pain in the rear end if you just want to see some gameplay of a game to see whether it looks interesting without some youtube dope shouting over it about likes

"longplay no commentary"

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I have a 250 liter oak barrel of streamer piss

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

flavor.flv posted:

Being good at playing video games is something to be ashamed of, it's like being good at eating potato chips or film analysis

I agree

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This suggests it's possible to be bad at eating chips

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Let's plays are cool and i support people creating them but screenshot lets plays are a lower form of entertainment than anime

The Ultima 7 screenshot LP is hilarious and better than like 99.9% of LPs.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

FoolyCharged posted:

I found the opposite. I played a ton of league with buddies back in the day and then they all jumped ship to dota2 when that came out. I just couldn't be bothered to follow and have to relearn 50 billion heroes and pieces of equipment again.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not jumping ship to play League with a group or with any kind of consistency, I just find if my dota friends arn't playing till late at night I don't want to solo queue a dota game so at playing a game or 2 of LoL will be a bit novel and honestly I like the graphical style quite a bit compared to dota.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Let's plays are cool and i support people creating them but screenshot lets plays are a lower form of entertainment than anime

Ngl I laughed.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blooster posted:

Just googled this, it looks amazing. Do I need to play the others first or are they like Final Fantasy games and have no relation to each other?

they are all independent, knock yourself out. in fact the first few SaGa games for gameboy were just called "final Fantasy" when they released them in the US

SaGa games all have the best soundtracks :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf1IeKhMF_0

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 3, 2021

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Rutibex posted:

they are all independent, knock yourself out. in fact the first few SaGa games for gameboy were just called "final Fantasy" when they released them in the US

SaGa games all have the best soundtracks :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf1IeKhMF_0

I love the original romancing saga 1 (can't speak to the ps2 remake which is so hideous I don't want to play it) because the player characters have almost no dialogue. The most you get to know about them is informed by a musical theme, their starting locale, and maybe a brief starter quest so the game's capacity to make them say and do annoying poo poo is incredibly limited

To be honest I don't even think I like JRPGs, I just want CRPGs that don't take place in worlds made out of mud (which seems like is every CRPG, why do they insist on being so loving ugly and dire)

Romancing Saga and FFV-while-mashing-A-through-dialog is as close as I've been able to get to what I'm looking for

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 3, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pretty soft girl posted:

To be honest I don't even think I like JRPGs

JRPGs are video game anime. everyone likes one or two animes, it only becomes shameful when you exclusively like anime. same with jrpgs

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

It's a shame Phil Fish had such a big lame meltdown and stopped making games because I've been replaying Fez and man that game was great.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Uhhh Deathloop I'm pretty sure I left the game in a menu when I went AFK. You know what the means Deathloop right? It means I want the game paused. Paused is what I want. So you can imagine how thrilled I was when I returned and the game said I was dead. Absolutely trash.

It is possible I didn't but this game does strike me as a game that wouldn't pause while in menus so I'm going to assume I'm right.

edit: Looked it up pretty sure I was in single player mode.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 3, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It has darksouls invasions and for that to work a game needs to have no pausing, or at least disable pausing during multiplayer.
So you're probably right.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Rutibex posted:

JRPGs are video game anime. everyone likes one or two animes, it only becomes shameful when you exclusively like anime. same with jrpgs

JRPGs and anime seem like they could be neat until a character starts talking and I remember how universally bad that aspect of it is, even in the ones that "everyone" likes. There was a yoshitaka amano directed anime that I can't remember the name of that had almost no dialog and I remember enjoying it a lot

I really like fighting games but the intense anime-fication of the genre over the years has really gutted a lot of franchises I used to think were cool. Like obviously SF2 and Tekken 3 are super anime at heart but they had the restraint to not go full anime in their presentation which is why they're still sweet but battle arena toshinden and DOA were always poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

Video games.

Anime.

Two great tastes that taste great together!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It has darksouls invasions and for that to work a game needs to have no pausing, or at least disable pausing during multiplayer.
So you're probably right.

Which I thought I turned off. BAH single player games should be single player games, multiplayer games should be multiplayer games. I have spoken. Remember when Sim City 5 was like oh yeah we totally need to be online all the time as we're a multiplayer game. HA!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Ross's Game Dungeon and MandaloreGaming are the good stuff when it comes to youtube.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Manager Hoyden posted:

Youtube exists tho

You can see everything

Not even price is a barrier because you don't have to buy the game to see every single bit of content

Right, but YouTube is not a computer game. I know that sounds stupidly pedantic, but it actually reenforces my point, that you CAN'T get all of the computer game, so you instead go to another media, a video, where you can.

And, the point about Infinite Jest, that too also highlights, you can read a book and 'not get it', but that would be more like playing a game with a cheat mode on, and not seeing the appeal of the game. It's still not really a direct analog.

I'm not really saying it's necessarily wrong, or a bad thing, either. It's just interesting. Like, how many other things are 'activities ABOUT something'? You know, like a football game isn't 'about' something? A board game is similar, and like escape rooms? But where it's some test of skill that has a narrative? It's sort of weird.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

!Klams posted:

Right, but YouTube is not a computer game. I know that sounds stupidly pedantic, but it actually reenforces my point, that you CAN'T get all of the computer game, so you instead go to another media, a video, where you can.

And, the point about Infinite Jest, that too also highlights, you can read a book and 'not get it', but that would be more like playing a game with a cheat mode on, and not seeing the appeal of the game. It's still not really a direct analog.

I'm not really saying it's necessarily wrong, or a bad thing, either. It's just interesting. Like, how many other things are 'activities ABOUT something'? You know, like a football game isn't 'about' something? A board game is similar, and like escape rooms? But where it's some test of skill that has a narrative? It's sort of weird.

I agree with you but you fell into the trap of comparing videogames to other media. You lose. I'm sorry.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blooster posted:

No relation just hop in.

Do not play Unlimited Saga though unless you have time to get a whole new masters degree via trial and error

itry posted:

This suggests it's possible to be bad at eating chips

I'll always remember Mr. Bibs on this forum apparently nearly died choking on a regular hotdog and thus swore them off forever

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tbf, he allegedly had some kind of legitimate medical problem.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm having a good time baking fake strudel (store bought phyllo fake level) so while I wait let me get a little phylosophical:

Videogames aren't for everyone. But especially not for people who make the "book resisting to be read" comparison.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

!Klams posted:

I've said it before in this very thread, but it is weird how games are like the only media where to get all the content, you have to pass a skill check. Like if there was a book, and you got 'To read the final chapter, demonstrate an understanding of the central themes, and explain the significance of the conch' it would be kinda hosed up and potentially a bit classist. Like I get that games aren't as 'important' necessarily, but, y'know, all the same, it's sort of weird that someone without good aim doesn't get to see how the end of your favourite game* plays out.

(*-I have to go with that here because this thread loving hates all games and if I gave any example, someone would just go "WELL THAT WOULD BE A loving BLESSING BECAUSE [widely loved game] IS ACTUALLY DOG-CUM MIXED WITH HORSE poo poo")

/Edit: Could I have gotten away with Titanfall 2? I think that game is safe...

Model RC airplane kits are like this
not only do you need basic instruction-following ability to actually assemble it, but then to play with it you need to be able to actually take off and land without smashing it into a million pieces (apparently this is quite hard and takes some practice)

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Successful streamers bring something else to the table, it can be humor or insightful commentary

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vic posted:

I agree with you but you fell into the trap of comparing videogames to other media. You lose. I'm sorry.

Ah, poo poo. Yeah, true.