Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

frogbs posted:

I've been inspired by this 'Thinkfriend' mockup to find something similar that actually exists:

https://twitter.com/NanoRaptor/status/1459338118104948736?s=20

Looking for something that has the following:
- At least a 1080p screen
- Small-ish, 12" screen or so
- Enough performance to run Chrome and do some light web development and image editing.
- Good linux support
- Not obscenely expensive

Basically just a small Laptop to mess around in Linux. I suppose there are some Chromebooks out there that could fit the bill that are pretty cheap, right? The Pinebook Pro actually looks like it would fit the bill, but it's out of stock. Is there anything else I should look at? I suppose I could also look for an older Thinkpad model and install Linux on it and get pretty close to the mock up (save for the check engine light!).
There is the GPD Pocket 3, but it's not out yet, a bit expensive, and might be a little smaller than you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Whoa, I guess this got announced while we were busy having a baby in the middle of a pandemic last year and I missed the announcement, also I guess there was an election or something

How is this thing? Can you go into more details? My mom is rocking a desktop NUC i5 and loves it

Sort of looks like laptop NUC is a mfg reference hardware for mfg to build good laptops with

Yup its an ODM sorta thing. Like Eluktronics rebrands them as the MAG 15 (which this one actually was sold as), I forget what XMG calls theirs, but you can buy them direct from some dealers. I bought it used as it fit the 64GB capable, more than 4 cores checkboxes and having a discrete GPU for CUDA work was a nice extra. I pulled down drivers and BIOS directly from Intel’s website.

Build quality is fantastic. The internals are well laid out and easy to work on, like I repasted the CPU and GPU as part of blowing out dust, and there were no surprises. The mechanical keyboard is a nice tactical piece with some decent travel to the keys. The screen, 1080P, seemed to be uniform and fairly bright, but I didn’t get that much too much thought. The dual M.2 SSD slots is nice, one of which is SATA and NVME, the other NVME only. Intel’s BIOS is pretty well laid out, very NUC like (I have an old 3rd gen one sitting around here). I think Tongfang is the underlying manufacturer. I’d honestly pick up an 11th gen if I had a need now for a 15” laptop and we weren’t still dealing with global supply chain issues. I just needed to pick something up for my SO sooner than later, otherwise I’d probably have gone with a Lenovo T14 as I do love my X1 Carbon which has been supplanted by a 2021 Zephyrus G14, which is also well built. I like the 14” form factor what can I say.

The combination of: being able to white box the thing (depending on how you obtain the chassis obviously) and pick your own RAM and SSD(s) plus the multicore > 4 options and discrete GPUs, and the build quality being very good make it an option worthy of consideration I think. Sorry for the rambling the stream of consciousness, feel free to ask any other questions.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I got my framework laptop and it took under 90 minutes from cutting tape on the box to bricking an ubuntu install by trying to get the fingerprint reader working. :v:

High praise for this thing. The fan is rattling, though, and sometimes the screen cuts out (I probably need to reseat the connector). I have a ticket open with framework about it. But since the whole thing is modular, I expect I can get replacement individual components instead of RMAing the whole laptop.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Let us know how the support turns out!

Ended up ordering my wife this Vostro 5510 with i7/16/512 plus dedicated graphics. Hopefully it is decent enough to last a while!

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I built our last computer 10 years ago and it has some older parts like a 14 year old power supply, and has been sitting in storage for 2 years now. I am not looking forward to firing it up just yet. We just moved into the new house and instead of trying to build a new gaming computer (maybe next year?) I took advantage of a cyber Monday deal and bought our first laptop. It was a last minute decision but my wife needed something for google meetings asap and it’s going to serve as the family computer for a while. Went with a https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-creator-15-a11ue-491-creating-designing/p/N82E16834156059 MSI creator with an 11800h and a 3060. The main attraction for me was the 4k oled screen. Fired it up and started watching some 4k videos on YouTube and I am blown away. I feel like this thing will be worth every penny at $1466.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How well do the Lenovo X1 Carbon (and other business laptops) handle stuff like Photoshop, Lightroom and DaVinci Resolve? I presume those programs are heavy on graphics card but is it a complete "forget about it" or is it closer to "don't edit a 70 layer document" / "just don't cut, colour grade, multi layer and filter a feature film" and it's fine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My X1 is still stuck in the supply chain nightmare somewhere but based on my experience with much weaker systems like a core-m tablet, i think it will be perfectly fine for casual use like editing your vacation photos and videos. My old garbage chugs on 4k footage, but this will probably be better especially if you can get GPU acceleation in resolve.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Artelier posted:

How well do the Lenovo X1 Carbon (and other business laptops) handle stuff like Photoshop, Lightroom and DaVinci Resolve? I presume those programs are heavy on graphics card but is it a complete "forget about it" or is it closer to "don't edit a 70 layer document" / "just don't cut, colour grade, multi layer and filter a feature film" and it's fine.

Don’t know about those graphical apps but the X1 Carbon G9 is easily the best laptop I’ve used now in the past four years, since my 2018 XPS 13. Latest XPS was a hot turd, the Lenovo OTOH has fixed a lot of the issues they had in the 2019-2020 timeframe or so. I have the 32 GB RAM SKU.

I mildly wish it had a touchscreen sometimes (for signing poo poo), but otherwise it’s awesome. Right selection of ports also.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
What’s a good laptop for under $300 that can run Minecraft

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

pushpins posted:

What’s a good laptop for under $300 that can run Minecraft

You need at least a iGPU in the 4000 series. A non chromebook CPU. I'd get 8GB of ram if you can. New your pickings are slim but if this is in stock:
https://www.target.com/p/hp-14--34-...g-/-/A-82459042

Or this is decent and slightly above $300
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/asus-vivobook-14-f415ea-ub34-14-laptop/9434h9slmksl

Or one of these refurbs:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...Black/819332816

Otherwise troll local used sales. Under $300 means you probably can't target anything.

A step up would be:
https://www.target.com/p/hp-15-6-34...tg/-/A-83710818

Which at 450 is a really good machine

Lockback fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 6, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lockback posted:

You need at least a iGPU in the 4000 series. A non chromebook CPU. I'd get 8GB of ram if you can. New your pickings are slim but if this is in stock:
https://www.target.com/p/hp-14--34-...g-/-/A-82459042

Or this is decent and slightly above $300
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/asus-vivobook-14-f415ea-ub34-14-laptop/9434h9slmksl

Or one of these refurbs:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...Black/819332816

Otherwise troll local used sales. Under $300 means you probably can't target anything.

A step up would be:
https://www.target.com/p/hp-15-6-34...tg/-/A-83710818

Which at 450 is a really good machine

Among these options I'd vote for the Gateway, a Core i3-11 with a 256GB SSD would be a nice minecraft machine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Twerk from Home posted:

Among these options I'd vote for the Gateway, a Core i3-11 with a 256GB SSD would be a nice minecraft machine.

That HP for $450 is actually a really good deal, if it were touchscreen it would be an ideal minecraft/roblox/kid gaming machine. But it's above the budget.

I got my daughter a Ryzen Flex for under $400 a couple years ago and I am continually impressed with it (though a kid 2-in-1 laptop gets super gross :cripes: )

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there anywhere other than eBay that’s good for selling used laptops? I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 I’d like to offload with as little hassle as possible. Also, I’ve only ever sold Macs — do I have to… do anything specific to have it ready for the next person?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SA-Mart is a good place! Just make sure you reset Windows and tell it to wipe all data.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

3060 G14 dropped to 1250, great price for a very portable gaming machine.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6469273

Anyone who bought it from BB since the BF guarantee can get some money back.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm helping my mom do shopping for a laptop for my brother, I haven't paid much attention to PC specs since 2018 so I just want to make sure I've got a reasonable set of criteria. Use case is mostly internet, some indie games like Disco Elysium, Hades, boomer shooters like Dusk (for example), hopefully eventually classwork if he can get his COVID-derailed college plans on track. I'm thinking at this point you generally want at least a 1080p screen, 16GB RAM, processor I'm not sure on because I stopped paying attention after the massive jump that was Ryzen/Coffee Lake, and at least a 256GB SSD. Does that sound right? I don't think a full-on gaming laptop is called for here, I'm looking at refurb business class ones since he has a rambunctious dog but I'm looking at consumer-grade ones as well.

No definite budget, I just want to make sure that my idea of "decent general purpose computer for a few years" specs are accurate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

16gb and 1080p screen should be fine

Business class laptops don't have a dedicated GPU, usually (some of the high end ones do) so keep that in mind

Laptop specs haven't changed much since 2018, GPU got slightly better

Good luck getting the college plans back on track

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My mom's 6 year old laptop only came with a hard drive, but there was an alternative configuration with an M.2 SATA SSD. I assumed that meant there was a permanent M.2 slot on the board, but I can't find an M.2 slot in the any of the images online.

Do you think it's possible the slot was only added for those laptops that came with an SSD?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm helping my mom do shopping for a laptop for my brother, I haven't paid much attention to PC specs since 2018 so I just want to make sure I've got a reasonable set of criteria. Use case is mostly internet, some indie games like Disco Elysium, Hades, boomer shooters like Dusk (for example), hopefully eventually classwork if he can get his COVID-derailed college plans on track. I'm thinking at this point you generally want at least a 1080p screen, 16GB RAM, processor I'm not sure on because I stopped paying attention after the massive jump that was Ryzen/Coffee Lake, and at least a 256GB SSD. Does that sound right? I don't think a full-on gaming laptop is called for here, I'm looking at refurb business class ones since he has a rambunctious dog but I'm looking at consumer-grade ones as well.

No definite budget, I just want to make sure that my idea of "decent general purpose computer for a few years" specs are accurate.

You'll need a dedicated GPU for those kinds of games. Good news is consumer laptops are much better than they were a few years ago on the whole.

Unfortunately the low-end gaming market is really messed up right now. You thinking like 700-1000, or 1000-1300 or ~1500? If you have a budget we can give you an idea what you're looking at.

For general advice on the consumer side, a Legion with a 3060 would be a great fit and run around 1300. MSI is lower quality that I might steer you away from if you think a dog will go crashing into it, but that's around 1000. The G14 is amazing if you're looking at portability being a big factor, that's on sale right now for $1250.

Lower than $1000 there are some choices, but you start giving stuff up one way or another.

Rinkles posted:

My mom's 6 year old laptop only came with a hard drive, but there was an alternative configuration with an M.2 SATA SSD. I assumed that meant there was a permanent M.2 slot on the board, but I can't find an M.2 slot in the any of the images online.

Do you think it's possible the slot was only added for those laptops that came with an SSD?

What model laptop? It's possible they had different MBs but that's usually unlikely. The M.2 could just be really loving hard to see.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In that case we might skip the gaming part, he has a desktop he can use for that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

What model laptop? It's possible they had different MBs but that's usually unlikely. The M.2 could just be really loving hard to see.

This is the manual

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-15-ab200-notebook-pc-series-touch/8502667/model/10193197/manuals

ifixit's guide doesn't mention the M.2 slot

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Pavilion+15-ab243cl+Hard+Drive+Replacement/105524

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, I think they were lying about it being an M.2 or they had an M.2 SSD housed in a SATA case.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

all there is, is this helpful generic illustration of an M.2 install

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that's what an M2 slot looks like

Careful there's also a micro pcie slot and... I think one other incompatible standard, make sure you get the right thing

If your mom's laptop has a regular hard drive, the best performance option is to replace it with an SSD. The boot/c: drive needs to be the SSD for maximum performance

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

SA-Mart is a good place! Just make sure you reset Windows and tell it to wipe all data.

Thanks! I think it’s been a decade since I last posted in SA Mart so I kinda forgot about it, but it’s up there if anyones looking for a nice-ish windows 15”

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Yeah that's what an M2 slot looks like

Careful there's also a micro pcie slot and... I think one other incompatible standard, make sure you get the right thing

If your mom's laptop has a regular hard drive, the best performance option is to replace it with an SSD. The boot/c: drive needs to be the SSD for maximum performance

Yeah I was hoping to let her keep the old drive in there, but I was going to do a new Windows install on the SSD regardless.

I should probably just look inside myself, but I hate opening up laptops, and that would mean doing it twice.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Given that the picture of the M.2 drive shows the drive with two short connector sections surrounding a larger connector section (Key B+M) you may still want to take a look beforehand so you know what type of M.2 slot it is. You don't want to find out it's a SATA type M.2 drive slot after you buy an NVME type, for example.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's SATA, I already checked.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A friend is looking for a 2-in-1 laptop. She will be traveling with it (so it should be durable) and wants to use it for Adobe Creative Suite (needs a good pen and touch screen). She's hoping to keep it around $1200 but can go a couple hundred higher if there's a good reason to. Any suggestions?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

A friend is looking for a 2-in-1 laptop. She will be traveling with it (so it should be durable) and wants to use it for Adobe Creative Suite (needs a good pen and touch screen). She's hoping to keep it around $1200 but can go a couple hundred higher if there's a good reason to. Any suggestions?

Good deal on a surface pro right now if she wants something a little cheaper ($800)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/micros...tinum/6482155.p
Not the most powerful machine but I believe the surface pro's are some of the best for pen/touchscreen. Getting that and using the money on a warranty/nice case/etc might be a good play.

Surface Book is also pretty good but your lowest end is about $1600.

The HP x360 is also a very good choice there, for ~$1200 there's a bunch of options. I'd lean toward the Ryzen 5700U and then adjust the RAM/SSD based on what you'd need. That might be the best bet if she needs a more powerful laptop, though note these kinds of 2-in-1s are a bit bigger and harder to manage than a surface.

The Thinkpad X1 Yoga 6 or a Yoga 9 are probably the most solid, but to get to the x360 specs you're probably over $1500, and I was under the impression the touchscreen isn't fantastic.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

How's the build quality on MSI laptops?

I've found a MSI GP66 with a 3080 and 11800H. It's about $300 more than the laptop I'm leaning towards, a Legion 5 Pro with a 3070 and 5800H for about $1600.

Not sure if the price difference is worth it. Supposedly MSI hits harder than Lenovo when comparing similarly specced models — but the L5P just seems better designed in general. The GP66 doesn't even have USB-C.

For what it's worth I'll mostly be playing in 1080p on my projector.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Get the legion.

MSI is ok. Legion is very good. The 3080 is actually just a suped up 3070, it's the same die unlike the desktop versions.

I'd actually be surprised if the MSI didn't thermal throttle anytime it used more than 3070 performance anyway. MSI can be a good deal at a lower price point, but I think you'll like the legion a lot better.

The Ryzen is a nicer mobile CPU too.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Looking for a work with light photo/video editing laptop, for when I can work remotely: Is the Vivobook Pro 14x any good? The weight and the specs look good to me, but I'm slightly worried about the OLED screen and the possibility of burn-in.

What makes me want the Vivobook:
16gb RAM
RTX 3050 aka should be able to handle graphics stuff and do some light gaming if I'm inclined
Listed weight is apparently 1.4kg, which feels on the light side

I'm open to other suggestions of laptops, this is just what I think is the best laptop I can think of so far.
I was trying to decide between this or the Zenbook, which is slightly cheaper but the models in my country only goes up to 8gb. Not sure what the other options in a similar price range are, or if there are caveats if I get the Vivobook. I can't afford the Lenovo X1 Carbon, not sure what Lenovo's equivalent line to the Vivobook/Zenbook is. I heard the Lenovo T14 is great but I can't find it in local stores.

To be clear, I have a decent desktop at home, but I am predicting having to work remotely next month, and my current laptop is 8 years old and dying and can barely open 3 tabs on a browser without lagging, much less do light Photoshopping.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 11, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks! I appreciate the input.

Most benchmarks I've read/seen consistently put MSI ahead performance wise. But I don't want to take any unnecessary risk of literally burning $2000.

Legion it is. Looks way better too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The MSI will probably win out in benchmarks in good circumstances, but they take steps to reduce thermal throttling in testing, and build quality on a laptop is actually important. In general I don't think a 3080 mobile is worth a $300 uplift over a 3070 mobile by itself, add in the Legion 5 pro is a great laptop in general I think it's a no-brainer, personally. The GP66 is fine, but I just don't think in this situation it's a good value.

Artelier posted:

Looking for a work with light photo/video editing laptop, for when I can work remotely: Is the Vivobook Pro 14x any good? The weight and the specs look good to me, but I'm slightly worried about the OLED screen and the possibility of burn-in.

Yeah, Vivobook's are alright. Mid-level consumer, not heavy gaming but still pretty capable. I think you have the right view. They are light. That price looks about what you'd get it for in US terms but I obv don't know the MYR market at all. It's not a ripoff or anything.

Personally, I wouldn't be too worried about OLED burn-in. It's a thing but it's not like 2002 Plasma-level concern. I'd be shocked if if the screen became a problem during the life of the laptop. There's things that the screen will do to reduce the impact, however we don't really know what 4-7 year life on this generation of OLED will look like yet. That said, I'd happily get a OLED monitor or laptop, the benefits way outweigh the risks imo.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks, goon. It's easy to get lost in the laptop jungle. There are so goddamn many different brands, models and SKUs — and just looking at hardware specs can obviously be misleading.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any thoughts on the LG gram?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oh, I found a place that does sell the Lenovo Thinkpad T14. How do these compare to the Vivobook series? If I can find identical models, would the T14 be a better buy? Or does it not matter? Going later today to check it out maybe, we've got a 12/12 sale running right now.

Lockback posted:

Yeah, Vivobook's are alright. Mid-level consumer, not heavy gaming but still pretty capable. I think you have the right view. They are light. That price looks about what you'd get it for in US terms but I obv don't know the MYR market at all. It's not a ripoff or anything.

Thanks for this! So I always have this particular Vivobook to fall back on if my other options don't pan out.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Update, framework sent me a replacement heat sink/fan assembly without complaint one business day after I sent them a video of the rattling sound. I haven't gotten around to installing it yet but this the sort of support I haven't gotten since I was a dell certified tech at a huge japanese conglomerate with a designated TAM's phone number.*

*Unless you count WASD keyboards replacing a broken keyswitch by asking "can you solder?" and mailing me a bare switch after I answered in the affirmative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Artelier posted:

Oh, I found a place that does sell the Lenovo Thinkpad T14. How do these compare to the Vivobook series? If I can find identical models, would the T14 be a better buy? Or does it not matter? Going later today to check it out maybe, we've got a 12/12 sale running right now.

Thanks for this! So I always have this particular Vivobook to fall back on if my other options don't pan out.

I'd say the t14>vivobook in general, but what does the t14 have for a GPU? I was not aware of 3050 option. That sorta drives the decision here