Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Cool Dad posted:

I haven't seen that happen, and I enjoy the occasional insane parent. Maybe people could make it clear when posts are from estranged parents at the top so people who aren't interested can skip them?

That’s the whole reason the other thread was created in the first place. And may I suggest that if you enjoy those posts you go to the thread for them, rather than reading them here in the thread specifically for other things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mx. posted:

AITA for giving my fiancé and ultimatum about inviting his sister at our wedding

please invite her to your wedding because i want to hear more stories about this woman

Here's where you make a deal with your in-laws that if she messes things up they have to buy you a new bag and pay for dry cleaning and the photographer to remove the stain from the photos.

Edit: also, they have to hold her down so you can slap her.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my Granny to stop using slang?

quote:

My grandma (70f) has recently picked up on common acronyms and slang and now uses it 24/7. She'll be talking about anything and randomly say "LOL" or "L-M-A-O" or "and THATS my 13th reason" or "It's because I'm an alpha" she probably picked it up from watching tiktoks with my sister and she thinks it's the coolest thing ever.

Everyone thinks she's amazing and hilarious for it but really she just looks dumb. One day she was talking to me and I ask her something and she says "M-Y-O-B" and I'm like what the hell does that mean, and she says "mind-your-own-business". I got such second hand embarrassment from that and told her to stop trying to be cool because it makes her look utterly stupid. She seemed kind of heartbroken after and stopped using it, I sort of feel bad but at the same time at least she doesn't look like an idiot anymore, idk?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my Granny to stop using slang?

Ahh, to be a kid ag-

quote:

I'm in my 20's but okay

-ahahahahahahahaha

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Ahh, to be a kid ag-

-ahahahahahahahaha

can't wait for the follow up where grandma ditches her lame grandson to go smoke blunts with her homie Snoop Doggy Dogg

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Help my grandma is cooler than me

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

Here's where you make a deal with your in-laws that if she messes things up they have to buy you a new bag and pay for dry cleaning and the photographer to remove the stain from the photos.

Edit: also, they have to hold her down so you can slap her.

:wrong: sorry but you cannot give these people anything on credit. demand a full deposit equal to the price of the bag + dress + photographer, to be returned the day after the wedding on the condition of good behavior from SIL. asking for money after the fact will get you nowhere.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cowslips Warren posted:

WIBTA if I tell my lgbt+ club coordinator not to pair me up with lesbians and asexual girls?

This one so great. A man believes lesbians wouldn't like talking about women and liking the same sex. Beautiful.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

limp_cheese posted:

This one so great. A man believes lesbians wouldn't like talking about women and liking the same sex. Beautiful.

You have an incredibly kind take on that one.
I figured he was only there to try to pick up bi girls he finds attractive, since he doesn't appear to view women as people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

I figured he was only there to try to pick up bi girls he finds attractive, since he doesn't appear to view women as people.

Yeah this is my entire takeaway, if the people Im talking to do not want to gently caress me why am I wasting my time???

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Barudak posted:

Yeah this is my entire takeaway, if the people Im talking to do not want to gently caress me why am I wasting my time???

That, coupled with "I'm totally cool being friends and talking to people I could never have an interest in loving".

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my cousin it’s his own doing that his adult daughter isn’t as successful as her friends?

quote:

My (28F) second cousin (53M) has been going on and on nonstop lately to the rest of our family about how disappointing his daughter (24F) is for not being “a real adult” and being a lot less successful than her friends.

My cousin has a group of friends his age, whose children his daughter grew up with, and their kids have all been close friends with his daughter forever.

My cousin strongly believes children shouldn’t receive any help from their parents in life once they turn 18 and parents have no responsibilities once their kids are legal, so he cut his daughter off on her 18th birthday and refused to pay for her college or anything, even though he had plenty of money for it. She’s went to a state school and still lives with multiple roommates in a crappy apartment after graduating, and she has an average job. She has no savings or investments since she’s paying off tens of thousands in student debt.

Meanwhile, all of her friends who she grew up with (my cousin’s friends’ kids) had good parents who paid for their college and helped them financially, and they’re all vastly more successful than his daughter. They went to high-ranking colleges since their parents were actually supportive financially, graduated debt-free, and they all have well-paying jobs now. They’re all living in nice lofts without roommates and are starting to do “adult things” like putting down mortgages on homes. Most of them have a lot of savings and investments already since they have no student debt.

My cousin is furious with his daughter since she’s in crippling debt and still has roommates, and he always hears from his friends about all the great things their kids are doing. He calls her his greatest disappointment and a failure, and they aren’t talking because they hate each other. He constantly whines about what a “useless child” he has.

I told him to just shut the gently caress up already. If he wanted his daughter to be successful, he would’ve been a good parent and financially supported her. He clearly wanted her to fail, so he can’t play victim now that she’s doing much worse in life than all his friend’s kids.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for being upset that my nephew wouldn't share his sweets?

quote:

This happened on Thanksgiving.

My SIL and her husband always host dinner. They have a 14 year old son (Chase) while my wife and I have 2 kids ( 8 Betty, and 3 Sarah). During making the meal, my SIL sent Chase to the corner store for some milk. When he came back, he had two bags of sweets with him. My kids immediately wanted some and asked. Chase told them no. I told him that he shouldn't have brought sweets into the house without expecting to share with his cousins. Sarah in particular started throwing a bit of a fit the sweets were her favorite. I told him again to share. Chase told me no, went to his room and hide the sweets.

At this point he was being immature so I told him to get the sweets and I would give them out after dinner. My brother said to leave Chase alone, he doesn't have to share. I pointed out that he caused Sarah to have a tantrum. He was sent to get milk not sweets.

Sarah eventually calmed down but after the dinner, she went into another meltdown cause Chase opened the sweets and again didn't share. Not one. I called Chase selfish over this but he just went to his room and locked the door. We tried giving her slices of cake and pie but she continued to have a meltdown till my SIL asked us to just leave cutting the visit short. We ended up stopped at a store to buy her some sweets.

I don't think it was much to ask for Chase to share with his younger cousins.

AITA?

Edit: let me clear up some confusion. Chase bought the milk and sweets with his own money but that doesn't change the fact he shouldn't have brought the sweets into the house around his small cousins. Everyone knows you don't show sweets to small children if you don't intend to share them cause they are going to ask. If my wife or I came into the house with something sweet, we share with them or the kids have enough to share.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for being upset that my nephew wouldn't share his sweets?

We ended up stopped at a store to buy her some sweets.

....wonder why she keeps having meltdowns

yeah I know tantrums can be pretty traumatic to witness and sometimes as a parent you'll just do anything to make it stop, but regularly giving in, as it sounds like this family is doing, is the WORST loving response

https://www.verywellfamily.com/parenting-mistakes-that-make-temper-tantrums-worse-1094968

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
"Ok honey, I found the cat food. Now what?"
"Open it."
*Looks at can of cat food with a pull top ring*
*Beads of sweat form on his forehead*
"Oh no..."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I fondly remember being 4 and opening packets of dog food to give to our dog, like a big girl.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I still can't get over how helpless that guy is. Is there somewhere in the world where opening a tin or bag of cat biscuits is somehow much more difficult? All that's coming to mind is that maybe he and his wife have a really complicated IOT can opener or some such garbage. Even then though, if push comes to shove and he's well and truly worthless he can order some fish and chips or something to give to the cat.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's okay my dude, I'm pretty sure at least one of my cats would eat pancake batter.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Bibliotechno Music posted:

That’s the whole reason the other thread was created in the first place. And may I suggest that if you enjoy those posts you go to the thread for them, rather than reading them here in the thread specifically for other things?

Whereabouts can I find this thread, it sounds deliciously awful and I'm too lazy to leave the safety of my bookmarks and roam the forums trying to find it.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Silly Newbie posted:

I think the club leader also picked up on that

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my cousin it’s his own doing that his adult daughter isn’t as successful as her friends?

I want to run a really slow rotating drill through the cousin's kneecaps

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
If the cat has some dietary issues like kidney or thyroid, there's specific kibble your vet sells. Otherwise...

Street cats in Maspalomas gobbling treats

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

sugar mouse posted:

Whereabouts can I find this thread, it sounds deliciously awful and I'm too lazy to leave the safety of my bookmarks and roam the forums trying to find it.

Hmm yes goonsire, I too wish to suckle on the nectar of the estranged parents threads but am also too afraid to leave the comfort of my posting womb. Mayhaps some good kind goon stranger may shine a torch and light us upon our way, mhmmm

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I was going to post meticulous directions to the thread but gently caress it

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Ziv Zulander posted:

Hmm yes goonsire, I too wish to suckle on the nectar of the estranged parents threads but am also too afraid to leave the comfort of my posting womb. Mayhaps some good kind goon stranger may shine a torch and light us upon our way, mhmmm

I don't want to go to GBS though.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

sugar mouse posted:

uh,

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You better start believing in GBS threads...

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well somone's going to have to tell him

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

sugar mouse posted:

I have bad news about forums founder lowtax

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Look, I'm just not good at posting, which is impressive after 15 years but I'm guessing the thread is in GBS?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Comment under the can't feed cat guy's post:

quote:

OP clarified in response to one of my comments that the "family" is just the couple and their cat. And I can guarantee the cat would prefer doordash and video games over whatever histrionics and pancakes the OP had planned. OP has some serious stones assuming the cat was on his side.

Histrionics and pancakes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

I took a tire iron to my child's legs when I told them to start running, why do they walk everywhere so slowly now?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

sugar mouse posted:

Look, I'm just not good at posting, which is impressive after 15 years but I'm guessing the thread is in GBS?

Friend, you're already in GBS.

twilight zone music

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

sugar mouse posted:

over here

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

sugar mouse posted:

IF YOU ARE ON A PERSONAL COMPUTER

Scroll to the top of the this thread. There you will see something that says "General Bullshit › r/relationships: Im not sure how exactly to feed the cat". Click on where it says General Bullshit. From there, you will be directed to a list of threads that are posted in this forum. The thread you are looking for is called "Rejected Parents: heteronormative gender police and chocolate robococks". You may scroll through the list looking for it. If you're tech savy, you may press control + f and start typing in the name of the thread. This will usually direct you to it.

IF YOU DON'T FIND THE THREAD ON THE FRONT PAGE

It may be on the second page. It's a popular thread and is usually near the top, but not always. If you can't find it, feel free to scroll to the bottom of the page. There you will find several icons with numbers on them on the right side. You will need to press the icon that looks like >. This will take you to the second page of threads in the forum. This step is often not used in finding the rejected parents thread.

IF YOU ARE ON MOBILE

Use your finger to scroll to the first post this current thread, opening the options at the top of your phone. One of the options will say Parent Forum. Tap on this. This will take you to the list of threads in GBS. From there you will need to scan for the thread that says "Rejected Parents: heteronormative gender police and chocolate robococks". There is no quick way to search. If you have swiped down more than a few times, then try swiping all the way to the top and trying again. It is more likely that you have missed it than it is buried deep in the forums.

ONCE YOU HAVE FOUND THE THREAD

click on it and start posting about your parents

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Mx. posted:

Everyone in this story except for the cousin's daughter needs to be guillotined, including the OP. The OP isn't as lovely as the cousin, but still signs off on unchallenged, disparaging remarks about public colleges and a bunch of other classist bullshit. God, this one made me mad.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Railing Kill posted:

Everyone in this story except for the cousin's daughter needs to be guillotined, including the OP. The OP isn't as lovely as the cousin, but still signs off on unchallenged, disparaging remarks about public colleges and a bunch of other classist bullshit. God, this one made me mad.

I don’t really read that from the OP they just acknowledge that she never got the privileges and hookups that come with an “elite” school and not having insane debt.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

"Ok honey, I found the cat food. Now what?"
"Open it."
*Looks at can of cat food with a pull top ring*
*Beads of sweat form on his forehead*
"Oh no..."

*2 hours later*

"OK! I got it open! Can I have my pancakes NOW?"
"Why is the cat still following you and meowing like she hasn't eaten?"
"I don't know, but I got it open! Can you please stop making us suffer like this?"
"Did you put the food in her bowl?"
"WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKKE EVERYTHING SO COMPLICATED?! I'll do it after you make my pancakes OK?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Oh are you fasting this week?

No another Final Fantasy expansion came out so im basically stuck