Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
Finally got around to playing this game and holy loving poo poo it was phenomenal what a loving masterpiece; playing the Sensitive preset with Inland Empire as my signature skill while cranking Empathy was a lot of fun

I got a lot of people killed in the Tribunal. I'm not sure if 7 dead(+valiant tie sacrifice) is on the high end but it felt pretty bad, especially getting the legal ambassador killed due to my poo poo rhetoric. The final post-reveal confrontation with your squad force hosed Me Up and Kim sticking up for me was really touching and sweet

very glad people online never shut up about it and also didn't actually spoil anything about it so I could go in blind; even if I did miss my vision quest the hardcore guy opening up answers board games books Kim dancing(???) and apparently had both Art Cop / Wompty-Dompty Centre just sitting in the background that I just didn't internalize in favour of losing a bunch of 97% checks to Precarious World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

MetaMeme posted:

I got a lot of people killed in the Tribunal. I'm not sure if 7 dead(+valiant tie sacrifice) is on the high end but it felt pretty bad, especially getting the legal ambassador killed due to my poo poo rhetoric. The final post-reveal confrontation with your squad force hosed Me Up and Kim sticking up for me was really touching and sweet

7 dead is not too bad, actually (especially if it includes all three mercs) - iirc the absolute best outcome is 6 dead total (3 mercs + 3 hardie boys). you can have less total deaths than that, but it involves leaving mercs alive and sacrificing hardie boys instead, so idk if that can count as a good outcome tbh

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dead gay comedy forums posted:

it all depends on how you play it. Shivers and Inland Empire are definitely the two out there in that sense.

The rest falls more into the intuitive domain, which is arguably Harry's hidden super attribute filtered through the skills. It's a great way to demonstrate other forms of thinking the world that are just as intelligent or more than exclusively intellectual. But no, he ain't that

to make for a fun take, it could be argued that Harry has a deeper semiotic awareness of the world when the player and the character collide. Stuff like commenting why Encyclopedia doesn't know poo poo about doing detective stuff or dialog showing alternatives like "I have no idea why I do the stuff I do". That's Harry talking, through your choices. He has no idea why you put him around to do random inane poo poo, but you know that you should talk to everybody and are curious to see what hilarious poo poo can happen by asking somebody about their socks or whatever, and that leads into relevant poo poo somehow and he has no idea why

which can be sort of familiar when you consider doing some stuff in your life that looked completely whimsical and turned out to be one the most crucial things to ever happen, right?

I think Harry isn't so much psychic as he is liminal - in his current state he has a body that has experienced the past but a mind that has no memory of it. To someone like that, it makes sense to try to teleport, but also the people watching you "teleport" just tell you that you shut your eyes and moved really fast, and a lot of things that Harry does that he'd be tempted to narrate as "psychic powers" work the same way. They're things he was capable of doing before, but he lacks the understanding to explain how he does them.

But! Never forget that you are on l'Insulide, or literally, "Wake Up", because before this world was pale, and the explorers on a doomed voyage into the pale did not know whether they were asleep or awake when the land boiled out of the pale and back into reality. The lookout called "wake up, wake up" because he thought he was dreaming, but everyone was wide awake. It may be there are things people are capable of doing, but most ordinary people cannot, because they cannot be in the mindset to do so. You can't see what's happening somewhere else because you know where you are and you're not that somewhere else. But what if you don't know where you are?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Has this been posted yet?

https://victoranomalous.wixsite.com/mysite/disco-elysium

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

nurmie posted:

7 dead is not too bad, actually (especially if it includes all three mercs) - iirc the absolute best outcome is 6 dead total (3 mercs + 3 hardie boys). you can have less total deaths than that, but it involves leaving mercs alive and sacrificing hardie boys instead, so idk if that can count as a good outcome tbh

Wait, what? I don't think I've ever not killed all three mercs

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

sebzilla posted:

Wait, what? I don't think I've ever not killed all three mercs

Lowest number of deaths:

Don't let Elizabeth get shot

Let Shanky run away

Stand silently and do nothing instead of attacking Kortenaer

Don't get Kim to shoot Kortenaer

Total deaths (4): Glen, Angus, Theo, Titus

Here's a neat resource post about that part of the game: https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/ed75o2/spoilers_possible_outcomes_from_the_tribunal/ and how the outcomes are determined.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

That Revacholian Eras poster gives me goosebumps. Seeing it visually makes the prospect of the Pale feel much more grim than just talking about it does.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

FPyat posted:

That Revacholian Eras poster gives me goosebumps. Seeing it visually makes the prospect of the Pale feel much more grim than just talking about it does.

Shame about that tendency for the rate of profit to fall.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this loving game

it is too good

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm sure this has been done to death, but..

Evrarts plan for the fishmarket is ultimately a net benefit, isn't it? Assuming he's honest about his intentions (big if) then throwing up low income housings seems like a way better suggestion than just leaving the people there in their squalor.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

this loving game

it is too good

It's also why I'm wondering if Harry is psychic
the theoretical entroponetics poster implies it is possible to catch information from the future.

I also saw discussions theorizing that maybe the big Innocences were basically Super Magpies deciphering information from the future to create Novelties

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Kim being incredulous about The Shirt is probably my second favorite moment so far

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

McCloud posted:

Evrarts plan for the fishmarket is ultimately a net benefit, isn't it? Assuming he's honest about his intentions (big if) then throwing up low income housings seems like a way better suggestion than just leaving the people there in their squalor.

Depends on : answers in order of spoilerosity a) If you are a member of the Union, or just a local, b) you trust Evrart not to exploit 'his people' as much as anyone for his own benefit especially once the squeeze is put on him (economically or otherwise), c) whether it matters if the Coalition are just going to take military action against Revachol for getting kind of revolutionary again. Like say nuking it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

McCloud posted:

Better for who? The people living there now are going to get screwed over, since part of the plan is to force them to leave. Given where they're living now, they don't have a lot of options where to go. I imagine a lot of them would end up on the street. The low-income housing would help people, sure, but the plan would also hurt people that are even worse off than the people it would help.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Send me your goon force, I am going to try to put together a thingaling and apply for the writer job.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

General Battuta posted:

Send me your goon force, I am going to try to put together a thingaling and apply for the writer job.

I thought the closing date was a while back. Did they re-advertise?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Ah gently caress

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm just entering day three, had a panic attack over my gun and had a heart attack trying to punch measure head. I almost thought they were going to make me start over which would have been sorta funny.
I tried to use subterfuge as a tactic but I don't think that actually exists as an option so it just turned me into a racist and I'm sad that I e disappointed Kim
The game also doesn't have sarcasm options despite some of them definitely reading as sarcasm. I think they're supposed to be earnest.
seems like I'm just having an adaptation period to it, we'll see how this goes

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

General Battuta posted:

you have my powerful om, good general

(it doesn't seem to be a remote position, I thought to apply but no conditions to leave here for now)

McCloud posted:

It's also why I'm wondering if Harry is psychic
the theoretical entroponetics poster implies it is possible to catch information from the future.

I also saw discussions theorizing that maybe the big Innocences were basically Super Magpies deciphering information from the future to create Novelties

if you do the moralintern vision quest, the jury rigged equipment catches something said in the future while harry is with headphones. then you get to the scene and holy poo poo

there was this discussion in the other thread (iirc?) that the historical materialism of Elysium is more, uh, literal because of the pale, and the quest above furthers that case a lot

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Espirit De Corps is also implied to be paranatural at times iirc, though it's ambiguous how much of that is flavour for the player. There are some offhand mentions of theories of mind-reading/empathy between members of tight-knit groups, though I'm not sure if the protagonist actually can or does react to the snippets you get of what's going on back at his precinct and with his squad towards the end.

If you say the exact wrong (right) things with the Moralist Guy (you know which one) You end up screaming and threatening him, while he gets more and more outraged at your bad behaviour and demands you present your badge so he can report you. Then you immediately have an Esprit vision of a pair of RCM out doing some random task, and the conversation goes like this:

RCM1: Hey remember what happened to that guy who got fired a while ago? He hosed around and pissed off a Moral Intern official and got canned.
RCM2: That's kind of interesting but why did you bring it up out of nowhere?
RCM1: I don't know, it just came to mind.

Which is a pretty strong indicator that EDC does actually psychically connect you to other cops and can even influence them to help provide info/perspective on a situation.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

General Battuta posted:

Ah gently caress

do it anyway you glorious bastard

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm just entering day three, had a panic attack over my gun and had a heart attack trying to punch measure head. I almost thought they were going to make me start over which would have been sorta funny.
I tried to use subterfuge as a tactic but I don't think that actually exists as an option so it just turned me into a racist and I'm sad that I e disappointed Kim
The game also doesn't have sarcasm options despite some of them definitely reading as sarcasm. I think they're supposed to be earnest.
seems like I'm just having an adaptation period to it, we'll see how this goes

The Detective is a mentally damaged man-child. If the option doesn't say (But you are lying), or (Sarcastically) or something to denote it, you are totally being sincere about everything. Even the mutually exclusive or non-sensical. Which cover most alt-right talk anyway, I guess.

EDIT : Note though, that some thoughts, once internalized, do internalize as 'Wait, this is all bullshit.' but some also don't.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

General Battuta posted:

Ah gently caress

Give it a shot, if anything, I would hope they would admire the elan of a DuBois approach to applications.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tylana posted:

EDIT : Note though, that some thoughts, once internalized, do internalize as 'Wait, this is all bullshit.' but some also don't.

Namely with Measurehead's "Racism thought", you can absolutely internalize it and then go tell him like "Yeah I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that it's total bullshit".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nordick posted:

Namely with Measurehead's "Racism thought", you can absolutely internalize it and then go tell him like "Yeah I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that it's total bullshit".

you can even use it to get the sobering-up thought really early (one of the best thoughts in the game skill-point-wise)

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
:siren:
https://twitter.com/atelierZAUM/status/1467856372591177731?t=xKKhlH3HbHaguXaEZRFc6g&s=19

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I got Kim's Jacket in black.

I would've gotten the orange one months ago if my card hadn't been declined for """"Fraudulent activity""""

Thank god for googlepay I guess

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Hngggh, very tempted by the giclée prints..

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I had the orange jacket in my cart and then hesitated. And it immediately went out of stock.

Maybe next time.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

I had the orange jacket in my cart and then hesitated. And it immediately went out of stock.

Maybe next time.

it goes out of stock within a minute or two in my experience.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have a lot of motivations to lose weight right now but I think the idea of maybe someday being able to fit into one of those jackets is the thing that might push me over the edge.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

80 euro is a lot for a tie and thats before I convert it to freedom dollars and add shipping.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah the tie is pretty questionable even by midrange fashion standards. Why yes I did buy one

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Why haven't they brought the Hideous Necktie back tho?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

All the ways you can hurt yourself in this game. I was trying to be A Cool Cop and catch some keys in midair, missed and they hit me in my eye and just like that one bar of my health was gone.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm a drama queen that feeds off the morale damage I cause myself through my awkward interactions. Somehow I've faithfully recreated myself.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
https://twitter.com/MonChairie/status/1468090126030966788

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Nah, Encyclopedia would never be that helpful

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Nah, Encyclopedia would never be that helpful

Peanuts are a Central American crop known for causing allergies.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/DrWallkick/status/1404621004169646088?t=V-ZWdgxMlDYhQPtmJslxxQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
woke up to a 937mb update this morning? something brewing in the background?