Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Griffin is a name that you only find with hedge fund Bros and rich failsons

Phoenix is absolutely going to be tormented with Joker memes (Joaquin Phoenix)

They're both dumb names but there are definitely worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Putting both together makes it clear they are paired fantasy creature names. Neither is that bad in and of themselves.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017

The Bramble posted:

Breaking it the Kids

I like how this idiots real question is if it's a good idea to ruin his children's Christmas by announcing their bitch mother is divorcing him in the most traumatic way he can as a way to hurt her.

Uh, I know I was grateful when my parents told me that the poor relationship situation was being addressed and that they were ending things and moving to separate housing because there was tension and suffering in the house when things were falling apart.

These people should be honest with the kids now and approach the situation together with a goal of raising nontraumatized adult humans who can have good partnerships in the future. Deceiving them churn out one last batch of "happy" Christmas postcards is bullshit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm Basil, short for Basilisk

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The Bramble posted:

my(f29) gf (27f) holds extremely prejudiced views and i don’t know what to do about it.

The world would probably be better off without white people. I’m the girlfriend.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

a podcast for cats posted:

Berthe and Ellpup, for example.

How do know my grandparents?
:tinfoil:

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Love to name my kid after character actor Griffin Dunne

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

The Bramble posted:

Breaking it the Kids

I like how this idiots real question is if it's a good idea to ruin his children's Christmas by announcing their bitch mother is divorcing him in the most traumatic way he can as a way to hurt her.

Uh, this guy says his oldest kid is 12, so their mother had their first baby at 17? I mean, at least both partners are the same age but to me this screams "first relationship two people are clinging on to for dear life".

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I do love hate how smug center-left Europeans suddenly become aspiring Uberstrumfuhers when the word Roma comes up and tell us we don’t “get it” if we say it’s racist.

This has become a well-worn trope by now, but honestly I get the feeling that at least in Western Europe, attitudes towards Roma have grown more understanding and nuanced (Eastern Europe... not so much). There is still ways to go, but the idea that your average European will feel an itching to reinstate death camps when so much as hearing the word "Roma" is a bit of a hyperbole to say the least.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Me again. posted:

Uh, I know I was grateful when my parents told me that the poor relationship situation was being addressed and that they were ending things and moving to separate housing because there was tension and suffering in the house when things were falling apart.

These people should be honest with the kids now and approach the situation together with a goal of raising nontraumatized adult humans who can have good partnerships in the future. Deceiving them churn out one last batch of "happy" Christmas postcards is bullshit.

Tell the truth to children? No, that would be traumatic for them!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Silly Newbie posted:

You have an incredibly kind take on that one.
I figured he was only there to try to pick up bi girls he finds attractive, since he doesn't appear to view women as people.

Yeah he's bisexual but mostly likes girls, and wants to get hooked up with bisexual girls. Which sounds a lot like a straight kid who thinks the LBGT+ club is a dating service.

Hello fellow bisexuals

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah he's bisexual but mostly likes girls, and wants to get hooked up with bisexual girls. Which sounds a lot like a straight kid who thinks the LBGT+ club is a dating service.

Hello fellow bisexuals

100% guaranteed this

note that he says he's open to hanging out and being friends with guys even if they're gay but doesn't really talk about dating or hooking up with them

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The day my parents told me they were finally divorcing like we'd all wanted them too for so long, was one of immense relief. I was 12, and I'm the youngest - they stuck it together for 26 loving years waiting for all their kids to grow up but couldn't keep it up until I was 18 and cracked, thank loving god they finally gave up. That was a miserable household. Also, I still love Christmas!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sugar mouse posted:

Whereabouts can I find this thread, it sounds deliciously awful and I'm too lazy to leave the safety of my bookmarks and roam the forums trying to find it.

It starts real strong, so it's worth going back to the beginning. Eventually you get goons having epiphanies that oh poo poo their parents were like these parents and now everything makes sense/goontherapy, which is cool too. But there is less density of funny/horrible stories.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893726

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I wanted to see if the guy had more embarrassing posts in the cat feeder thread and the mods locked it.

quote:

Out of control thread. LOCKED.

Too many manbaby insults and worse.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Cool Dad posted:

I haven't seen that happen, and I enjoy the occasional insane parent. Maybe people could make it clear when posts are from estranged parents at the top so people who aren't interested can skip them?

I will do this. I don't want to bring this poo poo into the estranged parents therad because it's morphed into things like this:

quote:

quote:

:( This thread is like the one place I can talk about stuff, so thanks. :)

quote:

On almost every page we have someone saying "oh poo poo, that's what was going on". Nobody's story is just about them, you also speak for those who haven't found the words yet.

And that is good an heartwarming and I don't want to gently caress with it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Uh, this guy says his oldest kid is 12, so their mother had their first baby at 17? I mean, at least both partners are the same age but to me this screams "first relationship two people are clinging on to for dear life".

This has become a well-worn trope by now, but honestly I get the feeling that at least in Western Europe, attitudes towards Roma have grown more understanding and nuanced (Eastern Europe... not so much). There is still ways to go, but the idea that your average European will feel an itching to reinstate death camps when so much as hearing the word "Roma" is a bit of a hyperbole to say the least.

It’s obviously hyperbole. My point is that most Europeans have some incredibly vicious attitudes to the Roma, even among people who see themselves as the pinnacle of enlightened multicultural paragons.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Griffin is a name that you only find with hedge fund Bros and rich failsons

Phoenix is absolutely going to be tormented with Joker memes (Joaquin Phoenix)

They're both dumb names but there are definitely worse

nobody's going to give a poo poo about the loving Joker movie by the time this kid's old enough to get bullied, are you kidding me

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for calling my sister a manipulative b*tch?

That is a wild story, but I'm scratching my head at this line:

quote:

I said I would support him taking legal action against her but he’s convinced him being a stripper sets him back already.

What would he take legal action about?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s obviously hyperbole. My point is that most Europeans have some incredibly vicious attitudes to the Roma, even among people who see themselves as the pinnacle of enlightened multicultural paragons.

The tabloid media over there treats them worse then Muslim immigrants if you can believe it.

This is always a handy reference.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

nobody's going to give a poo poo about the loving Joker movie by the time this kid's old enough to get bullied, are you kidding me

Let’s be real outside memes no one cares now

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Everyone got hyped up over the cat but lol that he called his wife obsessed, had a tearful argument and was suggesting therapy when she had been playing the game for 7 hours total on her day off at release.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LanceHunter posted:

That is a wild story, but I'm scratching my head at this line:

What would he take legal action about?

Sexual harassment, I presume.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Everyone got hyped up over the cat but lol that he called his wife obsessed, had a tearful argument and was suggesting therapy when she had been playing the game for 7 hours total on her day off at release.

I love the contrast between him and “is it normal for my NEET boyfriend who I cook and pay rent for to not do any chores and poo poo in his filth all day? Should I ask him to stop?” girlfriends.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
My [32f] friend [32f] is planning to bring her child to our friend's [31f] wedding, and I know the bride will go nuclear if this happens. What can I do to prevent it?

quote:

My friend Jane [31] is getting married to Max [33]. They are having a child free wedding (this is relevant).

Well, they’ve been planning for over a year now. They have everything they need in place and just need to send the invites. They already put on their save the date that the wedding was adults only and up until now, it hasn’t been an issue.

I’m the Maid of Honor in their wedding. Jane and Max sent out their save the dates months ago and are preparing to send out the actual invitation. I found out that a friend of ours, Michelle [32], is planning to bring her son even though the wedding website and save the dates say the wedding is an ‘adults only event’. The invites say the same thing. I told her that’s not what Jane and Max want, but Michelle said that if she brings her son that Jane will do what most couples do and that’s not say or do anything, but I think Michelle is underestimating Jane.

So Jane is bipolar and autistic (aspergers). Diagnosed. She’s been getting treatment for it so she’s okay, but she has a thing about following rules and doing what’s asked of you. She is very anal about it in every way, shape, and form that a person could be, and she’s this way in life and work, not just with this wedding. She likes schedules (I mean, obviously, autism and schedules go hand in hand). And while Jane has accepted that the day may not go as planned because that’s just how it is, Jane has been very vocal about no kids, stating that the only things guests could do to ruin her wedding is to either show up in white or bring their kids when they were asked not to. Yes, she equated bringing kids to a child free wedding to being just as bad as a woman showing up in white when only the bride should wear white. That’s how serious she is about it.

Jane told me once while we were shopping for wedding decorations for her that if someone showed up with their child that she wouldn’t walk down the aisle until the child and whoever brought them is removed. Yes, she was serious. This was not an ‘in passing’ response. If you think she’s exaggerating, I assure you, she’s not. Jane is extremely stubborn. I could tell stories but will spare you. Just know I 100% believe Jane would not walk until the guest and their kid is gone.

So I told Michelle this and she said that Jane is a drama queen and she’ll get over it. What should I do? Do I tell Jane? Do I try to convince Michelle not to bring her kid? Or do I tell Max? I don’t want to start drama but I don’t want to stress Jane out, either.

Edit: Okay, so, I actually told Max who told Jane. Needless to say, Michelle has been uninvited, unfriended, and blocked by Jane. Jane sent me an SS of the message (some words were taken out for privacy):

"Hey, so I've been told you plan to bring [your child] to my wedding. Go ahead and stay home. Everyone knows to not allow you into the venue. You are no longer invited and we are not friends anymore. Have a good day."

Michelle was blocked so she there was no response. However, I anticipate I will receive a message some time today from her.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love how all of that sister's "You're just imagining it!" excuses totally ignore that the object of her desire is a human being who has been expressing discomfort. Sister, it's all in your head, what do you mean he's the one expressing these feelings to you? Just not a drat word about his feelings in her excuses.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

welcome to hell posted:

My [32f] friend [32f] is planning to bring her child to our friend's [31f] wedding, and I know the bride will go nuclear if this happens. What can I do to prevent it?

I don’t think I’d like her but I respect her

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Sets clear boundaries, doesn't gently caress around when they're violated. Yeah, definite respect there.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AH! So that's where the world's supply of spine is! It's wielded by this one neurodivergent woman like it's a magical sword that transform her into Spinal Voltron. If only we were all so decisive as she is.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Bibliotechno Music posted:

That’s the whole reason the other thread was created in the first place. And may I suggest that if you enjoy those posts you go to the thread for them, rather than reading them here in the thread specifically for other things?

Do you even go to the other thread? It's mostly goons sharing their own experiences and supporting each other. This is a thread for mocking internet train wrecks and EP posts fit the vibe here better than what the other thread has become.

trickybiscuits posted:

I will do this. I don't want to bring this poo poo into the estranged parents therad because it's morphed into things like this:

This is a reasonable compromise imo.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Do you even go to the other thread? It's mostly goons sharing their own experiences and supporting each other. This is a thread for mocking internet train wrecks and EP posts fit the vibe here better than what the other thread has become.

This is a reasonable compromise imo.

It’s fine to post EP posts there, as they’ve walled it off since they found out about people discovering that they’re absolutely bonkers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

trickybiscuits posted:

All those people were brought together by the insane ramblings of the crazy parents though. That's why people are attracted to the thread. It is good. Without the context of the rejected parents it is just an e/n thread that has been misplaced.

It is cool that you are concerned, but a CW is enough to help anyone avoid posts that would make them feel bad. Posts about bad parents are expected there, so it's less likely to surprise someone than those same stories posted elsewhere when people might not be expecting them.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I don’t think I’d like her but I respect her

Yeah. Also, I've known some kinksters who are having an adults-only wedding because some explicitly adults-only stuff is going to happen at that wedding. I'm assuming that if this was the case here the op would have mentioned it, though.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

welcome to hell posted:

quote:

She likes schedules (I mean, obviously, autism and schedules go hand in hand
Ah yes, all autistic people love schedules

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

PancakeTransmission posted:

All day I dream about schedules

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

How else would you know when the trains are coming?

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Stories by estranged parents suck, because the are all incredibly vague and very similar sounding. While reading a couple can lend you an insight into an insane person's mind, there's nothing particularly entertaining about any one of them. You're never gonna find out what crazy poo poo they did to earn their estrangement or any details of their interactions with their kids,just pages and pages of how these vaguely described events made them feel.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

OzyMandrill posted:

Griffin is a traditional Welsh name, tho Griffith (spelt Gruffudd or variants) is more common.

You call your kid Griffith and next thing you know he's sacrificing his mercenary group to beings of unfathomable power and being reborn as one of them.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

And that's why I don't really want to go to the thread. I prefer to have a nice sprinkling here where I'm collecting other crazy people's rambling, rather than driving head first into that particular kind of madness.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

olylifter posted:

I want to run a really slow rotating drill through the cousin's kneecaps

Agreed nothing teachesresponsibility like having just shoveled thousands and thousands of dollars into the financial services industry then being told you're a big honking failure because you have no money. just an absolutely hilarious own goal. maybe this guy can buy a boat or something to give him comfort and companionship in his old age.

drill baby drill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

SREAM