Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It's qanon to think that anyone has sex with kids guys.

What the gently caress is this deepstate HQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Matt Gaetz is innocent until proven guilty but his wingman pleading guilty to the same crime and turning state evidence in exchange seems like there's more to the Gaetz case than Q. For one thing the FBI people in charge of Joel Greenberg's case have recently hired new prosecutors, which is an odd thing to do for a case where the guy has already pleaded guilty, except if other people are expected to be indicted.

So yes, Gaetz has not been indicted as of my posting, but it's not "left-wing Qanon" to think that the creepy forehead golem might be a sex freak.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It's qanon to think that anyone has sex with kids guys.

What the gently caress is this deepstate HQ

Vice presidents office

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah to be clear, "this means nothing"was referring to political impact, I don't doubt he's sleazy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Texas State Guard are some real fuckin goobers though. Is this a military unit or some larpers who couldn't hack it at police academy?

The guard sucks in every state, bunch of pretend soldiers.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Inspector Hound posted:

Vice presidents office

Hey, it was good enough to be Dick Cheney's "undisclosed location" for all those years.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sir Tonk posted:

The guard sucks in every state, bunch of pretend soldiers.

Guard are great when you need a lot of young, fit bodies to help out during a civil emergency. All of our big Covid vaxx clinics in my town were run by the guard. They're not great when you need them to do literally anything else.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Another Bill posted:

I've also been rereading 100 Bullets recently and I think it's very much about the nature of conspiracy theories. Specifically that a good conspiracy theory gives a believer just enough information to become a useful idiot and be manipulated. Everyone in the story plays this game: Agent Graves with his briefcases, Lono with his splinter group of Minutemen, Mr. Shepard, the families of the Trust, the killing of JFK... Even the story arcs have this recurring theme. It's a pretty cool way of exploring what makes a conspiracy.

Think about the GOP and QANON. Think about the GOP/NRA and gun nuts. Think about the GOP and anti-mask/vaccine/lockdown activists. These are useful idiots being fed just enough information by wealthy elites to maintain their hold on power, using violence and coercion.

The current political economy that has developed over the last half century has forced tensions and contradictions that need to be resolved. The very nature of capitalist accumulation has meant fewer and fewer people can exert control over a larger sector of the economy. The nature of this extraction-consumption economy means more resources need to be harvested out of the ground and converted into finished consumer products by an exploited underclass who are not rewarded for their labor. And the fossil fuel economy demands that more and more hydrocarbons are sucked out of the ground and combusted with molecular oxygen to turn into greenhouse gases, so rapidly terraforming our planet into one that will be incompatible with human habitation. This historical inevitability we are heading down can not hold, the status quo can not be sustained. Something has to give.

The purpose of these modern conspiracy theories is to dissisipate the ability to form mass action. To render inert the very ability to change the status quo, to bend the arc of history. To sabotage mass movements against the beneficiaries and agents of this system. Mass action against climate change is impossible if a huge portion of the population thinks wildfires and polar vortex expansions and sea level rises and crop failures are the fault of space lasers and HAARP radio waves. International labor organization is impossible when groups have convinced themselves that their labor is about to be Replaced by waves of foreigners that are simultaneously lazy and overemployed. And the billionaires handily fund fraudulent "populists" that criticize corporations insofar as the topic is about nonsense like CRT or cancel culture or the LGBT agenda.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/debdrens/status/1467482307934183430

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What the gently caress are they eating at this point?! Are they pillaging the Dallas countryside like a medieval chevauchée!??!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xiahou Dun posted:

What the gently caress are they eating at this point?!

I'd say hopefully their pride and self respect but...

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Xiahou Dun posted:

What the gently caress are they eating at this point?! Are they pillaging the Dallas countryside like a medieval chevauchée!??!
It's a smaller sub-cult run by a guy calling himself "Negative 48" and teaching sacred numerology. Someone local in Dallas has money, so they're all crashing with him.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Froghammer posted:

Someone local in Dallas has money, so they're all crashing with him.

I wanna see what that looks like

Worst slumber party ever

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Is that JFK in meme sunglasses and a dumbass hat?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Is that JFK in meme sunglasses and a dumbass hat?

Joooonya

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
According to the recent QAA interview with the sister of one of these cultists, they’ve convinced themselves that Trump is about to reset all debts owed. For this reason they’re draining savings accounts and credit card maxxing and maybe even liquidating assets.

Now a public debt jubilee is probably necessary to at least temporarily alleviate the tensions of capitalism, but I don’t see that happening, and it definitely will not happen considering the venal and grasping greed of Trump and the owner class of the world.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i love it when they start saying numbers, its like a cheer

https://twitter.com/hottub_twin/status/1467310817133543424

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

First thing that came to mind was Harold Camping. I know he's not the first guy to do it nor the most recent but I remember seeing those billboards and just shaking my head.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grear, we've got qanon hosting vigils and white supremacists marching on DC again.

Just another fantastic day in the US of A.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Phobophilia posted:

According to the recent QAA interview with the sister of one of these cultists, they’ve convinced themselves that Trump is about to reset all debts owed. For this reason they’re draining savings accounts and credit card maxxing and maybe even liquidating assets.

They've believed in this one since March '21 or early April. I wonder how much longer before they have to give up and declare bankruptcy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s the number thing about? It sounds like schizophrenia.

How are they eating? Where are their clothes coming from? How are they affording meme effigies?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How are they eating? Where are their clothes coming from? How are they affording meme effigies?

These people are the barons. Some are taking long vacations to come do this poo poo while millennials slave in their 12 store chain of 7 elevens

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

pretty sure the numbers are numerology bullshit. something something syllables correlate to numbers used to predict things, etc

the reason Negative 48 is named that iirc is because "Evil" is 48 and he's the opposite, hence -48

its all very dumb and not a cult. for real check out the last QAA ep, they do a good job going over it all

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Per Wikipedia 174 is... a kind of Peugeot...the atomic number of Septquadium...the title of a Brazilian documentary about a bus hijacking...best I'm seeing is a Canadian TV movie about a plane crash where they changed the flight's real number to "174" for pretty obvious legal reasons?

165 is...the year a Roman attack on Parthia that went okay...the number of career wins as a pitcher for Sandy Koufax and Bill Sherdel...the number of a French biplane from the 1920's...the atomic number of Unhexpentium which is a wild loving name...a self number in base 10 but a palindrome in binary...

Yeah, not seeing a lot of meat on those bones. The biggest result of me looking that up is I felt kind of gross realizing I'm gonna have to start specifying that something happened in the 1920's pretty soon.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Qultists: I spent my life savings waiting for you to come back!
JFK: aye er uh deal with it

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."

It's called gematria, which is the practice in Judiasm of ascribing numbers to words, names or concepts. It got picked up into QAnon because There Are No Coincidences and as long as you sound like you know what you're talking about people will believe it.

Also, some people have mentioned the episode, but the most recent QAnon Anonymous podcast goes into detail about the whole deal in Dallas, but has a interview with the sister of someone who up and left, and it just one story out of dozens of the people that are there but it'll help with your second set of questions. There's a lot of phrases for these people like 'it's all just a movie' and the general belief that Trump will wipe away debts, make everyone rich, prove them right and cause their families to take them back, etc. There's literally no consequence for them - if you knew that the world was going to drastically change in two weeks, why would you give a poo poo about spending all your cash today? The interviewee mentioned that their sister blew out all their credit cards, went on wild shopping sprees, and eventually had their access to their bank account removed before they dropped everything and went to Dallas. I wouldn't be surprised if other people like them just keep pumping their savings into hotel rooms and good food while they're waiting for JFK to come.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Go RV! posted:

pretty sure the numbers are numerology bullshit. something something syllables correlate to numbers used to predict things, etc

the reason Negative 48 is named that iirc is because "Evil" is 48 and he's the opposite, hence -48

its all very dumb and not a cult. for real check out the last QAA ep, they do a good job going over it all

It is, QAA did a whole episode on him

https://m.soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-168-the-mutant-qanon-numerology-cult-in-dallas

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If you don’t not believe that JFK is alive and the legitimate co-president with Trump then you are either stupid or corrupt.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Murgos posted:

If you don’t not believe that JFK is alive and the legitimate co-president with Trump then you are either stupid or corrupt.

Roman salute to that brother goonmeet dealey plaza?

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

This is honestly blowing my mind and really accelerating the already eroding faith I had in the ability of American society to ever recover from the Trump years.

I remember arguing with my old boss about politics and how even if you didn't like the president the country would survive and move on, I now know I was wrong.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Local Weather posted:

This is honestly blowing my mind and really accelerating the already eroding faith I had in the ability of American society to ever recover from the Trump years.

I remember arguing with my old boss about politics and how even if you didn't like the president the country would survive and move on, I now know I was wrong.

"Survive" and "recover" are two very different things. Empires can limp on for a very long time, it just sucks more and more for everyone involved.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Kind of amazed the guy who likes being mistaken for JFK Jr hasn't rolled by waving in a convertible yet.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

DarklyDreaming posted:

They've believed in this one since March '21 or early April. I wonder how much longer before they have to give up and declare bankruptcy

It’s way older than that. It’s just NESARA still going. Seems a pretty common cross conspiracy theory with Qanon from day one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Moose-Alini posted:

It’s way older than that. It’s just NESARA still going. Seems a pretty common cross conspiracy theory with Qanon from day one.

It probably got into Q's bloodstream via the Iraqi Dinar people who overlap a lot with NESARA, and glommed onto one of Trump's brainfarts where he was half-remembering basic economics and complaining about how it was "unfair" that China and other countries deliberately keep their currencies cheap to stimulate exports. From that they decided he was going to press the Big Magic Button and make it so that 1 USD = 1 IQD = 1 ZMD and frantically started buying up any currency with a lot of zeroes on its notes.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Local Weather posted:

One positive thing at least is the majority of Q cultists (and Trump voters in general) are elderly and between covid and natural attrition there's thousands less of them every day and the pace of that is only going to increase.

The downside is a lot of younger conservative voters and especially Republican politicians in the US are enthusiastically fascist and the GOP will be increasingly dominated by them as the party's senior establishment retire and pass away. As a percentage of population there's less of them but they're compensating by being just as violently insane.

I genuinely do not expect the US to make it to 2030 without some sort of mass violent civil unrest split along political lines.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trump is just a symptom. You've got a generation of people who were told their whole lives that America is the greatest country on earth and they deserve wealth and prosperity just for being born American, and they're trying to reconcile that with the reality of an overextended and crumbling military empire that is turning inward and feeding on them to continue extracting wealth for the people at the top.

One way to reconcile this is with misplaced nostalgia, we've lost something along the way that made us great, and here comes Trump talking about the good old days and promising to make us great again. Believing our king under the mountain is returning to bring us a new golden age is another expression of that nostalgia, and also a convenient explanation for why Trump's promises to MAGA were seemingly empty and all we saw him do was stay up until 3am tweeting about Rosie O'Donnell or some other celebrity feud

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
While true, a symptom can be what kills you. The most dangerous thing about trump is he highlighted that our society is run by consensus, norms, and social agreements, and that there is nothing stopping someone from ignoring them in corrupt pursuit of money and power.

He pointed out the thread that will unravel the entire sweater, and gave it a couple tugs while everyone looked on and didn’t stop him.

Someone’s gonna pull that thread.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, there's a lot of these people. More than I'm even remotely comfortable with accepting.

Bunch of folks who make Dale Gribble look sane and who hold seats in government.

We sit back and laugh and make fun of them but the craziest ones are not only not suffering consequences, they're earning the most campaign contributions in the party while some of the slightly less ghoulish ones are being poo poo out

https://apnews.com/article/steve-bannon-donald-trump-kevin-mccarthy-lauren-boebert-congress-d570aa1ca74c727f59e29abc42d7e6dc

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, there's a lot of these people. More than I'm even remotely comfortable with accepting.

Bunch of folks who make Dale Gribble look sane and who hold seats in government.

We sit back and laugh and make fun of them but the craziest ones are not only not suffering consequences, they're earning the most campaign contributions in the party while some of the slightly less ghoulish ones are being poo poo out

https://apnews.com/article/steve-bannon-donald-trump-kevin-mccarthy-lauren-boebert-congress-d570aa1ca74c727f59e29abc42d7e6dc

The thing that's most upsetting about all of this is that no one seems to really care that there are real, actual, publicly stupid people saying stupid things and they are in our real government doing real government things. They aren't just Fox News idiots, they actually do things that affect everyone in the whole country every day. If you point out what these people say to republicans they aren't even phased. I don't think there is a lower limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What's probably more galling is they are in real government and just bumble around doing culture war bullshit and not actually passing legislation (this part is good) and yet they're the most popular members of congress in their own party because they run around smearing everyone including themselves with their turds and shout like lunatics and marxist antifa and ni--black lives matter.

There's just no desire on the right for political governance, which is really the republican ethos as stated by the right for decades but more as a cynical ploy to starve black people of structural reparations rather than as a defence of a highly individualistic society. Another example of their campaign strategies running out of control and so their predictable logical conclusion is now the major motivating factor.