Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

who cares though? like, "episode 7 the force awakens spoils that the empire lost? what the gently caress?"

you pick up a related series in the same world, you expect to learn things about the original. why would they deny themselves the ability to tell an ongoing story about the world that is the core of their brand out of some silly concern for "spoilers"

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
KNowing whether or not the Briarwoods live isn't the important or fun part of C1, it's the how and the why and the goofs made along the way.

Spoilers aren't real, the punchline isn't the whole of the joke.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hulk Smash! posted:

I may just be cynical but it feels like it's on purpose to drum up interest in C1's characters and story in preparation to the show. It's ~Brand Synergy~

I'm not complaining as I'm enjoying C3 so far but it doesn't feel like a coincidence.

I think you are being a touch overly cynical. The cast loved their C1 stories and it seems natural to want to keep interacting with it somewhat, even though they no longer play those characters. VM were a big deal, and it seems fair that their actions would continue to have an influence.

C2 was probably a little “unnatural” in how little C1 was brought up (especially at first), but I can understand wanting to establish from the outset that they weren’t just going to resume the previous campaign.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

I think you are being a touch overly cynical. The cast loved their C1 stories and it seems natural to want to keep interacting with it somewhat, even though they no longer play those characters. VM were a big deal, and it seems fair that their actions would continue to have an influence.

C2 was probably a little “unnatural” in how little C1 was brought up (especially at first), but I can understand wanting to establish from the outset that they weren’t just going to resume the previous campaign.

yeah C2 is a reaction to their unbelievable success in a whole bunch of different ways, from the "okay we're playing on a totally different continent so we don't interact with ANY of it for a long time" to everyone playing hugely different personalities

C3 still has them trying new things but immediately has been a more global, interconnected world with hooks back to C1 despite being far away. Wouldn't be surprised if the PCs make it back to Emon or Whitestone or whatever the place keyleth is at, eventually

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeah I mean…I know what they’re referencing as someone who watched C1, but how much would people who haven’t seen it specifically know now after these C3 episodes? Would they even understand what’s being referenced enough to be “spoiled?”

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I'll bet there's a whole bunch of people who started with EXU or C3 because someone told them it would be fine to start there on the basis that C2 was mostly safe for C1 spoilers and now big chunks of the imminent animated show are spoiled for them with no warning.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 4, 2021

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I'm actually refusing to watch c1 because it would spoil me on c3.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They're the original creators making a sequel to their existing work. That's like complaining that George R. R. Martin was spoiling the upcoming Game of Thrones adaptation by releasing a new Song of Ice and Fire novel.
In retrospect, it's now clear he spoiled the adaptoon by failing to release more.

Hulk Smash! posted:

I may just be cynical but it feels like it's on purpose to drum up interest in C1's characters and story in preparation to the show. It's ~Brand Synergy~
See, I read this the other direction... creating hooks to Legends in order to convert the "I'm not watching 400 hours of this poo poo.on a whim but I'll try 4 hours of animation" crowd to campaign watchers.

Lucas Archer posted:

Okay, I just have to mention one pet peeve I have about how Matt runs the game, and to a lesser extent, how the cast interacts with the game.

But it makes the bad guys or the powerful entities seem... not that powerful, smart, or even interested in putting these brand new adventurers in their place.

I don't know why it bugs me, but it does. This happened in C1 and C2 as well, but to a lesser extent. Hell, I don't even know if I'm putting this into words correctly. I don't want to call it a lack of respect, because it's not that at all, but it's adjacent to that.

For me, I think it helps that Fearne is the gently caress Around and Find Out in faun form... so we'll be seeing poo poo hit the fan at some point (as Oryn has explicitly mentioned). C2 also had a number of nearmisses (Jester in the church, everything pre-dodecahedron with the bright queen, etc) and a few actual consequences (lucky rear end series of events to get out of Darktow with mere exile, bringing their poo poo to nicodranas too many times).

If we want to go universelogic... is there much reason to believe our criminal underbosses and such would perceive them as threats that need to be dealt with for being disrespectful or generally goofy?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

See, I read this the other direction... creating hooks to Legends in order to convert the "I'm not watching 400 hours of this poo poo.on a whim but I'll try 4 hours of animation" crowd to campaign watchers.
That's exactly - admittedly badly phrased - what I meant. More in a "Hey, I want to learn more about these Briarwoods folks. Maybe I'll watch the show for a campaign I never saw" way.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
It's a fantasy world where criminals are specifically more like captain hook than peaky blinders. (I hate this argument, but I can believe that Matt just doesn't want to spend time on criminal underbosses since he really doesn't like absolute villains sub bbeg very much).

Frankly, if he made an example of the shadow baker for sending them there, it would make more sense than attacking the group.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If people follow CollegeHumor/Dropout, Aabria and Taliesin both just did an episode of Um Actually, their nerd gameshow. Matt and Marisha have both been on it quite a few times also.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Senjuro posted:

I'll bet there's a whole bunch of people who started with EXU or C3 because someone told them it would be fine to start there on the basis that C2 was mostly safe for C1 spoilers and now big chunks of the imminent animated show are spoiled for them with no warning.

You see I got around this problem by starting with C1 and going from there...

I really like the fact that they're referencing C1 so much and I want more it, I hope they eventually go to Vasselheim at some point because I want to see what they've done with the giant titan there.

Whats the point of having a "persistent world" if you don't reference it to avoid spoiling it for people who didn't bother to watch that earlier part anyway?

Imagine if they didn't win against Lucian at the ends of C2 but it didn't affect the world in anyway for C3 for the reason "it would be spoiling that they lost at the end of C2" it would be dumb and it would suck.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Dragonstoned posted:

You see I got around this problem by starting with C1 and going from there...

I really like the fact that they're referencing C1 so much and I want more it, I hope they eventually go to Vasselheim at some point because I want to see what they've done with the giant titan there.

Whats the point of having a "persistent world" if you don't reference it to avoid spoiling it for people who didn't bother to watch that earlier part anyway?

Imagine if they didn't win against Lucian at the ends of C2 but it didn't affect the world in anyway for C3 for the reason "it would be spoiling that they lost at the end of C2" it would be dumb and it would suck.

Yep, this exactly. Referencing earlier seasons is cool and good and rewarding to longtime viewers.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

C2 spoils C1 because the world is not ruled by Vecna in it

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
As someone who has not watched C1 and only like 20 episodes of C2, I don't care about references the cast make to the world they are role-playing in and have developed over the years.

It does spoil some stuff, sure, but it also helps make the world feel like it's actually alive.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The BBEG in crit role is the fandom. This toxic morass of poo poo that can't just watch something and enjoy it for what it is.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Anyone who is super into Critical Role to the point that the references made in C3 spoil C1 for them if they started in C2 were probably already spoiled when they bought the campaign D&D book since these spoilers are pretty much on the same level

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The BBEG in crit role is the fandom. This toxic morass of poo poo that can't just watch something and enjoy it for what it is.

Wow, spoilers dude!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

There’s Dungeons AND Dragons?!?!?

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

There’s Dungeons AND Dragons?!?!?

Make your home game more memorable by banning Dragons and avoiding Dungeons. Settle in with a nice game of And with friends.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been burning through C1 and I just made it past the Briarwoods before this episode and I'm like "holyyyy poo poo!". I don't know if they'll ever top the characters in C1, they're just. so. drat. good.

I made it halfway through C2 before I couldn't keep up... I absolutely enjoyed what I did watch, and even saw them live @ Gencon. It was amazing.

C3 seems like they haven't found their footing yet.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
the Benefit that C1 had was that they already had their characters pretty much nailed by the time they started streaming. C2 and C3 you are seeing the entire process of them figuring things out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the archetypes also worked to their favour in C1. Vox Machina are very stereotypical 'hero' types in a lot of ways, but that makes them easy to grasp. The Nein and the new ones have a bit more bubbling under the surface that's designed to come out over time, which makes sense for actors to enjoy exploring.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

C1 was their best campaign but C2 and C3 both started better tbh.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Sometimes I swear I'm the only Clarota fan :smith:

Besides, inexplicably, the party.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

Sometimes I swear I'm the only Clarota fan :smith:

Besides, inexplicably, the party.

I also love Clarota. Also I love Ashley releasing her inner evil demon only to lose the faith of her god for doing so.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Vax made C1 unwatchable for me. Sorry Liam I like Orym though.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Vax made C1 unwatchable for me. Sorry Liam I like Orym though.

Yeah, I'm liking Orym Drama a lot more than Vax Drama. It's just the right amount of subdued, and it was hilarious to see it just steamrolled over in the drinking game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I liked C1s overall story better, largely because it was simple and easy to understand. However I liked C2's characters better, partly because we did get to watch them go from zero to hero, and partly because they were more interesting than stereotypical archetypes in C1.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
I agree that C1's overall story was much more memorable, even if it was more of a typical hero story.

I loved campaign two, but I feel like when I think back on favorite moments and memories of the show, the vast majority come from campaign one. The climax of the underdark arc, the Briarwoods, and Chroma Conclave are all really hard to beat. I can remember the major plot beats of campaign one after all of these years, but already have big gaps in memory concerning plot points from season two.

Campaign 3 already feels like it is starting at a quicker pace than 2. The characters are also endearing themselves to me much quicker than those of season 2. I already like Laudna and Ferne more than their C1 and C2 characters (not that I disliked previous characters). Orym is really endearing in some way that Caleb was not at the beginning. Sam is doing great turning what could have been a gimmick into an interesting character. Robbie is the perfect addition to the cast (as has been said to death). I already care about these characters alot more than I did the Mighty Nine the same number of episodes into campaign 2. It may just be because everyone is playing so well into their strengths this time around.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Can someone explain to me the significance of Orym clutching the sending stone so desperately at the end of this last episode? I feel like I must have missed something.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sax Solo posted:

Can someone explain to me the significance of Orym clutching the sending stone so desperately at the end of this last episode? I feel like I must have missed something.

Because earlier in the episode he was reminded of the last time he lost people he cared about and now familiar worries are bubbling up to the surface

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sax Solo posted:

Dorian had the other one right? Just a little character building of the relationship between Orym and Dorian here I think.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Orym really reminds me of the one guy in a group who really thinks he's closer friends with everyone than anyone else does.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno, Orym Dorian and Fearne seem pretty tight.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I agree that C1's overall story was much more memorable, even if it was more of a typical hero story.

I loved campaign two, but I feel like when I think back on favorite moments and memories of the show, the vast majority come from campaign one. The climax of the underdark arc, the Briarwoods, and Chroma Conclave are all really hard to beat. I can remember the major plot beats of campaign one after all of these years, but already have big gaps in memory concerning plot points from season two.

I remember the plot beats from C1 better, but I remember way more of C2's character moments. Jester tricking the Hag, Fjord tossing his sword into the lava, Caleb turning the whole campaign on its head, Beau getting everyone past the Plank King, etc.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I already like Laudna and Ferne more than their C1 and C2 characters (not that I disliked previous characters)

Laudna and especially Fearne are easily my favourite characters so far, which in a cost of all Best Folks isn't saying that much.

I honestly think FCG is the one I like the least so far. Like, they're still good, just everyone else is moreso.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Sam just started out with two characters so perfect for him that any subsequent ones were bound to pale in comparison. Scanlan was simply his id and Tary was a personification of his love of trolling the cast.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

I remember the plot beats from C1 better, but I remember way more of C2's character moments. Jester tricking the Hag, Fjord tossing his sword into the lava, Caleb turning the whole campaign on its head, Beau getting everyone past the Plank King, etc.

That's a really good point. I agree completely. C2 had stronger character moments overall.

Lotus Aura posted:

Laudna and especially Fearne are easily my favourite characters so far, which in a cost of all Best Folks isn't saying that much.

I honestly think FCG is the one I like the least so far. Like, they're still good, just everyone else is moreso.

Yeah, everyone is doing great. We will get some great character moments as this campaign goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Fearne is the proof that Ashley is actually really good at making and playing a character when she doesn't have to worry about being gone for large chunks of time and then remembering how her character works and acts all over again.