Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stultus Maximus posted:

The upcoming disasters in 2022 and 2024 will be unavoidable because the establishment Dems refuse to even try protect voter rights and whether or not it shakes them out of complacency is irrelevant because the GOP has secured one party rule for the foreseeable future through voter suppression, gerrymandering, and control of the judiciary.
It's over and it's a shame nobody will at least smack Manchin and his enablers in the face with a shovel.

Barring some senatorial hail Mary to put in the voting rights bill (I'm not optimistic) I feel the same as you on this.

The games largely done and we're trying to figure out who the starting QB should be next year but the teams already been sold and set to be dissolved at the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Too late anyway imo, I think the last chance was either the Dems to do something with this anti-trump wave or for another Trump term to shake them out of doing almost nothing. I’m hoping the upcoming disaster in 2022 and 2024 shakes them out of complacency and being de-facto enablers for the far right but I’m worried that ship already sailed without things getting unavoidably worse.

I strongly regret voting for Biden at this point. He’s done nothing whatsoever domestically and just let the GOP strategy play out perfectly

As was already pointed out, the Dems (while still being massive disappointments striving to return to their underdog status) passed major legislation faster than the GOP did when they were in power. Remember...if 10% of Biden's vote had stayed home, we'd still have Trump in office. That's too loving close for my comfort, but whatever.

RFC2324 posted:

Not really. Vote for the progressive candidates when they are available, vote for the establishment otherwise because at least they are a tiny bandaid on the gaping wounds the right is inflicting

This. I don't understand why this is so difficult to get. You're not going to fix the Democratic Party from the top down. You need to either scrap it and start over (good luck, the system is designed to prevent that), or you fix it from the bottom up over a long period of time. It loving sucks, but it sucks less than just stepping to the side so the loving Nazis gain and maintain power.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 4, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Feeling the need to be treated for that whiplash, goddamn.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The basic problem is poo poo is bad, and it's going to get a lot worse. There's no stopping the snowballs that have started rolling down some mountains. People have to cope with that in their own ways and emotions like this are intensely personal. Don't get pissed and blame the people that nope the gently caress out of this bullshit.

They can't fix it.

The people that could will not.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RFC2324 posted:

I don't expect to die peacefully, but I wish people ostensibly on my side wouldn't be cheering for it

Are you like the free space in the classism/racism/sexism/misogyny bingo card or something?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Godholio posted:

This. I don't understand why this is so difficult to get. You're not going to fix the Democratic Party from the top down. You need to either scrap it and start over (good luck, the system is designed to prevent that), or you fix it from the bottom up over a long period of time. It loving sucks, but it sucks less than just stepping to the side so the loving Nazis gain and maintain power.

I mean that's all assuming that amount of time exists at this point to allow the democrats to stop being feckless, reverse republicans loving up poo poo, and improve the collective welfare, before poo poo is just irreparable. I as a 30 year old computer toucher can hangout for another 38 years until statistically death takes me. Theoretical kids, nephews, and nieces may not have that luxury, and the generation after that probably has no hope.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 4, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean that's all assuming that amount of time exists at this point to allow the democrats to stop being feckless, reverse republicans loving up poo poo, and improve the collective welfare, before poo poo is just irreparable. I as a 30 year old computer toucher can hangout for another 38 years until death takes me. Theoretical kids, nephews, and nieces may not have that luxury, and the generation after that probably has no hope.

You're more optimistic than I am. I'm starting to think that somewhere between 2020 and 2030 is where future historians will draw the line for "the collapse of American liberal democracy."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/jeremymbarr/status/1467255201333751809?t=NGr4u-ztBRTpMQe2uxvsHA&s=19

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1467254877340545028?s=20

I am sure Chris will end up somewhere by end of year or before the midterms.

Honestly, I was just shocked at the number of journalists and others being like "oh yeah, gotta be there for the family" and I'm like you're not some regional manager at the cracker factory, your job is to have ethics

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1467254877340545028?s=20

I am sure Chris will end up somewhere by end of year or before the midterms.

Honestly, I was just shocked at the number of journalists and others being like "oh yeah, gotta be there for the family" and I'm like you're not some regional manager at the cracker factory, your job is to have ethics

That's pretty harsh. I assumed they'd just terminate his employment with them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's pretty harsh. I assumed they'd just terminate his employment with them.

It’s like they hit him with an Eraser :dadjoke:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think a big "end of the American empire" sign post was the Flint water crisis. Pretty much the entire elite were like "yeah we don't promise to even deliver drinking water anymore. That's no longer part of the deal. If you still got some from when that was part of the deal, lucky you."

As for American democracy, they stole an election already in 2000 and the dems were just like, shucks, ah well, better luck for us next time. Everything on the democracy level is downstream of that. The foot soldiers of that stolen election are now in the Senate and supreme court and they're all eager for the next, more blatant go.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Best Friends posted:

I think a big "end of the American empire" sign post was the Flint water crisis. Pretty much the entire elite were like "yeah we don't promise to even deliver drinking water anymore. That's no longer part of the deal. If you still got some from when that was part of the deal, lucky you."

As for American democracy, they stole an election already in 2000 and the dems were just like, shucks, ah well, better luck for us next time. Everything on the democracy level is downstream of that. The foot soldiers of that stolen election are now in the Senate and supreme court and they're all eager for the next, more blatant go.

Flint is a pretty good point. I was directly affected by Katrina so for me it kind of feels like that because for a few months there I recall a lot of fairly open discussion in the media, especially the right wing kind talking about maybe we shouldn't bother to do anything about this, regarding helping or rebuilding New Orleans.

Definitely made me think that the government really wasn't serving or looking out for the people's interests. Being a little older now of course that's entirely obvious but that was the point where I first really realized that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Are you like the free space in the classism/racism/sexism/misogyny bingo card or something?

Trans woman. Not a trans woman of color, so not the free space, but kinda close

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RFC2324 posted:

Trans woman. Not a trans woman of color, so not the free space, but kinda close

Gotcha. I kind of figured it was a trans woman thing, and in my mind inserted POC to make it the free space.

Yeah, I gotta be honest the political scape of this country isn’t beautiful for you as a trans woman- but I do feel like some gains are being made in the acceptance and equal treatment of LGBTQ+ Americans.

It is far from perfect, but we as a country have come a long way. I mean, for fucks sake, we as a sub forum have come a long way.

I remain cautiously optimistic that LGBTQ+ rights and issues will be addressed and addressed well. I know the T part of LGBTQ+ has the toughest row to hoe but I’m a middle aged cishet male who has a terrible track record on trans issues and I was brought around to the light.

I’d own a gun if I were you though, for real.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
We've come a long way since Smoke Crack is a bitch days.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We've come a long way since Smoke Crack is a bitch days.

Did he come back with a new name?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gotcha. I kind of figured it was a trans woman thing, and in my mind inserted POC to make it the free space.

Yeah, I gotta be honest the political scape of this country isn’t beautiful for you as a trans woman- but I do feel like some gains are being made in the acceptance and equal treatment of LGBTQ+ Americans.

It is far from perfect, but we as a country have come a long way. I mean, for fucks sake, we as a sub forum have come a long way.

I remain cautiously optimistic that LGBTQ+ rights and issues will be addressed and addressed well. I know the T part of LGBTQ+ has the toughest row to hoe but I’m a middle aged cishet male who has a terrible track record on trans issues and I was brought around to the light.

I’d own a gun if I were you though, for real.

depending on where you are, things are actually not too bad right now, but its precarious. I don't live in the south anymore, so most of that isn't a normal concern.

and I feel unsafe owning a gun. I'm not exactly a stable person nowadays. maybe after a few more years of therapy. til then I have to hope people will do the right thing

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

No idea.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ya.

a bitch

:smug:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RFC2324 posted:

depending on where you are, things are actually not too bad right now, but its precarious. I don't live in the south anymore, so most of that isn't a normal concern.

and I feel unsafe owning a gun. I'm not exactly a stable person nowadays. maybe after a few more years of therapy. til then I have to hope people will do the right thing

Hey, I totally understand. I don’t have guns either, and for that exact reason. I get it. Good for you recognizing the risks and being a sane rational adult about it. I got relatives that aren’t making the same smart choices and I’m gonna hear about how one of them died “cleaning their gun”

What part of the south were you living in and where’d you escape to? Sometimes I think WI or MI or IL could be doable for a southerner like myself. I’m pretty well rooted in the South though and my dreams of rural midwest living are just that, dreams.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Current event:

https://youtu.be/BbXJ3_AQE_o

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hey, I totally understand. I don’t have guns either, and for that exact reason. I get it. Good for you recognizing the risks and being a sane rational adult about it. I got relatives that aren’t making the same smart choices and I’m gonna hear about how one of them died “cleaning their gun”

What part of the south were you living in and where’d you escape to? Sometimes I think WI or MI or IL could be doable for a southerner like myself. I’m pretty well rooted in the South though and my dreams of rural midwest living are just that, dreams.

Grew up in TX for most of my life, exwife dragged me to FL which literally drove me to a mental breakdown. I'm in CO now, which is a MUCH better place, if you stick to civilization.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RFC2324 posted:

Grew up in TX for most of my life, exwife dragged me to FL which literally drove me to a mental breakdown. I'm in CO now, which is a MUCH better place, if you stick to civilization.

One of my good friends left the greater Memphis area for Colorado 5 years ago. It’s gorgeous out there, I went and visited him when he was living in the Colorado Springs area. Beautiful place but my fat, smoker, pot head, asthmatic, rear end got kicked by the altitude.

Hey you do live in the right state for it- Are you a fellow pot head?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

One of my good friends left the greater Memphis area for Colorado 5 years ago. It’s gorgeous out there, I went and visited him when he was living in the Colorado Springs area. Beautiful place but my fat, smoker, pot head, asthmatic, rear end got kicked by the altitude.

Hey you do live in the right state for it- Are you a fellow pot head?

You remember how everyone said hi to Norn when he walked into the bar? Thats kinda how it is when I show up at my local dispensary lol. New people might be weird with me once before they get corrected

E: actually, I already fessed up to being a pothead when I said I grew up in TX. I have absolutely no idea how pot is still illegal there, *everyone* I knew smoked.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's illegal in Texas if you fail the paper bag test. Any concentrate there is a felony, btw. Any.

It's not... great, in the SLV, but if you find yourself down here for some reason or another, you're welcome to come hang with me and my friend. The valley is about half texans during tourist season, though, clogging up the passes.

I'm probably going to build me a little cabin out from town here, the privacy and population density is hard to beat, lots of wildlife. Just no jobs to speak of, and internet that far out can be sketch or satellite only.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Colorado is the best state in the union, I loving miss it. So beautiful, with the perfect mix of city and country. And the fresh air.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 5, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Colorado is the best state in the union, I loving miss it.

I've driven through Colorado a couple times, stopped at Rocky Mountain National Park and Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and I must say that it is an absolutely gorgeous state if you're a fan of mountains (And frankly who isn't)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've driven through Colorado a couple times, stopped at Rocky Mountain National Park and Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and I must say that it is an absolutely gorgeous state if you're a fan of mountains (And frankly who isn't)

Me.

Except for the ones right next to the ocean. Those are ok.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not going to lie, if I could get 5 acres between Mt Hood and Mt St Helens for a grand an acre, I'd be in Washington state when my lease runs out. Something about living between two volcanoes, close to a subduction zone, and possibly (ever so slightly) being surrounded by bigfoots, is just so drat appealing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not going to lie, if I could get 5 acres between Mt Hood and Mt St Helens for a grand an acre, I'd be in Washington state when my lease runs out. Something about living between two volcanoes, close to a subduction zone, and possibly (ever so slightly) being surrounded by bigfoots, is just so drat appealing.

Don't forget nuclear annihilation!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can get nuclear annihilation in Colorado, the Springs has gotta be one of the biggest targets in the country. Just 200 miles and a mountain range away.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Current Event: Abusing a rule made to keep you from getting destroyed is dumb. Seems like they’ll need to call plays dead if QBs pull this stunt.

https://twitter.com/247sports/status/1467305612212154370?s=21

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I can get nuclear annihilation in Colorado, the Springs has gotta be one of the biggest targets in the country. Just 200 miles and a mountain range away.

also NORAD is p close to springs. I'm sure a few missiles will be launched that way just in hopes

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Cheyenne Mountain is off CO 115 southwest of the Springs, it's 15 minutes from downtown. Also Fort Carson, Peterson and Schriever AF bases and the AF academy. It's definitely got a dozen or so coming for the city if Russia/China lets loose.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Cheyenne Mountain is off CO 115 southwest of the Springs, it's 15 minutes from downtown. Also Fort Carson, Peterson and Schriever AF bases and the AF academy. It's definitely got a dozen or so coming for the city if Russia/China lets loose.

hoping denver is close enough that we catch a few. with my luck I'll just get a nice dose of radiation

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Inshallah. Whatever will be, will be.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

hoping denver is close enough that we catch a few. with my luck I'll just get a nice dose of radiation

There are probably enough in the arsenals that every city bigger than 100,000 people has at least one warhead with its name on it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

Current Event: Abusing a rule made to keep you from getting destroyed is dumb. Seems like they’ll need to call plays dead if QBs pull this stunt.

https://twitter.com/247sports/status/1467305612212154370?s=21

I see what you mean but it also looks like he was going to slide then had second thoughts. Idk, I'm not a football guy tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

From my neighborhood in Seattle I can get views of the North Cascades, Mount Rainier and the Olympic Mountains. Even in the city there's a bunch of big rear end trees, moss covers most concrete surfaces. You're surrounded by nature everywhere you go.

Still can't believe the Army sent me here. Outside of the Olympia-Seattle corridor WA is a pretty sparsely populated state. The Seattle area is surrounded by 3 National Parks, no shortage of stuff to do.