Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

El Grillo posted:

In the show it makes no sense because if they were making enough money that they can buy street food on a whim and pay for room at an inn, why do they say they've been sleeping rough for a month?

I thought street food lady was handing out free samples or something. I don’t recall them handing over money.

As to the inn, Rand says it’s owned by a friend of Thom’s so I assume it was comped or at least heavily discounted, though they could have been more explicit about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The gently caress is with considering the xray stuff to be considered non spoiler if the show hasn't gotten there yet?

It's a Fandom thing, it assumes you know the story.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The gently caress is with considering the xray stuff to be considered non spoiler if the show hasn't gotten there yet?

The Xray stuff is part of the show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I genuinely do not know your position on it after this post. Do you want the X-Ray stuff to be considered spoilers or not?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

its HIM posted:

I thought street food lady was handing out free samples or something. I don’t recall them handing over money.

As to the inn, Rand says it’s owned by a friend of Thom’s so I assume it was comped or at least heavily discounted, though they could have been more explicit about it.
Ah I thought I heard a coin clinking SFX or something when he took the food. edit: rewatching now, yeah there is

With the inn there was a line about how expensive it was so I don't think it was a comp or discount. It was definitely weird that they mentioned the connection with the innkeeper but then nothing seemed to result from that at all. If it was as you are suggesting, you'd think there would be a line about how they were lucky to get the room from the generous innkeeper, or something like that, instead of a line that said the opposite lol

Anyways that's probably enough posts from me about bits I found inconsistent

its HIM posted:

Two major and a couple minor things here.

The first is the obvious, which is that WOT by nature has to have a lot more expensive CGI than first season GOT did. The setting is more fantastical with a metric fuckload more visible magic.

The second is that GOT built directly off the cancelled HBO show Rome, which had two seasons at $100+ million/season budget and has a very similar aesthetic to GOT. Props, costuming, studio expertise - a *lot* of it was already in HBO’s hands when they started work on GOT.

Throw in inflation and the added expenses of Covid, and it is unsurprising WOT clearly hurts for money versus first season GOT.

Now that they have the initial startup expenses behind them, and a season’s worth of experience (I agree, some characters should look worse for wear), I am optimistic that season two will stretch those dollars a lot further.
This is interesting, I hadn't heard GoT used stuff from Rome (or maybe I'd just forgotten).
And yeah I think the production cost must be higher too, probably even more pricey than the Power stuff is the creature stuff I should think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The thing is the show is pretty good but you get these weird inconsistencies that stick out like a sore thumb and just make you go “huh that’s weird”.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

El Grillo posted:

With the inn there was a line about how expensive it was so I don't think it was a comp or discount.

i don't think that getting a discount would prevent them from still going 'jesus holy poo poo this place is expensive' even after that since they'd have an idea how much it costs normally

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

El Grillo posted:

This is interesting, I hadn't heard GoT used stuff from Rome (or maybe I'd just forgotten).

I think it's less that stuff from Rome was used directly and more that the infrastructure/expertise to support GoT's production was already established because of Rome's prior existence.

Edit: though i guess it's possible some stuff from rome was outright re-used, idk for sure

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The design of the White Tower is very interesting. Can any architecture nerds tell me what it's taking inspiration from?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

The thing is the show is pretty good but you get these weird inconsistencies that stick out like a sore thumb and just make you go “huh that’s weird”.
Essentially this. I didn't go into it expecting Breaking Bad levels of writing or directing or whatever so I am mostly able to swallow the occasional awkwardly-written line, the pacing issues and so on. But the actual inconsistencies/errors are a bit annoying.

Getting a fantasy adaptation like the first season of GoT, or like the LOTR movies, is always going to be a lightning in a bottle thing, I reckon, so I am going to keep watching WoT for now. For one thing, Rosamund Pike is just too frickin good as Moiraine.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The Trollocs looked pretty, obvious cgi when they were running on all 4.
The Trollocs are mostly practical effects. The stunt people actually run on small stilts to make them be larger. They show it in one of the "Making of"/Deep Dive videos.

The X-Ray stuff is (badly) accessible for normal show watchers and is always uploaded with each new episode coming out. It does not require having read the books. IMO, it should be considered exactly as spoilery as each new episode.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 5, 2021

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
The CGI effects look really good aside from a few wonky shots of running trollocs.

The interior set designs for the White Tower look cheap and small. Same goes the small size of Logain’s “Army” and Bornhald’s Whitecloaks.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Logain's army is the remnants of a militia that had already been defeated at least a few days prior, and are so rudderless without Logain himself they're just bumrushing the enemy, and attacking with no strategy. Bornhald's Whitecloaks are a small group he's taking on an expedition, and not meant to come off as any kind of sizable projection of strength.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that line about the night at the inn was weird. It felt unnecessary.

Like they’ve been on the run for a month but they have enough coin for that?

Also it was a month later and they didn’t have horses at the start of the episode. They were walking.

I honestly can't tell if i'm being punked.

They had horses.
They no longer have horses.
They have coin.
They also have new cloaks.

These things are all connected.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CainFortea posted:

They had horses.
They have coin.

A month of living on the on the run elapsed. They were walking at the start of the episode.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The implication is that they sold the horses before reaching the city. Mat is a horse trader.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

The implication is that they sold the horses before reaching the city. Mat is a horse trader.

Yes I get that part but they looked pretty destitute at the start of the episode.

They really didn't need to mention the cost of that room because saying it costs as much as a month at a normal place is a lot of drat money which they didn't really seem to have a lot of.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

They had horses.
They have coin.

You're assuming a bunch of stuff that the show hasn't actually said. That's fine to a certain point, we fill in tiny gaps in a narrative all the time without even realising it. But you're coming up with a whole explanation for some things that are actually just inconsistencies in the show. If they sold their horses or had some other way to get money, and were able to buy new cloaks, why were they sleeping rough for a month? Even with the explanations you've made up to try to fill the hole, it makes no sense.

sorry thread for starting this derail

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yes I get that part but they looked pretty destitute at the start of the episode.

They really didn't need to mention the cost of that room because saying it costs as much as a month at a normal place is a lot of drat money which they didn't really seem to have a lot of.

Yea, being punked.

El Grillo posted:

You're assuming a bunch of stuff that the show hasn't actually said.

quote:

they sleeping rough for a month

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They mention that the inn is expensive to establish that everything is more expensive in the city than out in the sticks, as part of a series of details that reinforce that they are in a place that is strange and unfamiliar to them, but they're making do. They're rural, not stupid.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Strange how a couple of travelers with no allies or support network or reliable income might not spend money on looking fancy. Especially while trying to remain inconspicuous, and double-especially since they're not indoctrinated by modern consumer culture.

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008

Corbeau posted:

Strange how a couple of travelers with no allies or support network or reliable income might not spend money on looking fancy. Especially while trying to remain inconspicuous, and double-especially since they're not indoctrinated by modern consumer culture.

That wasn't stated in the episode! NON-CANNON!!! /s

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

if a show presents an in universe explanation then it is not, in fact, an inconsistency.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

I think it's less that stuff from Rome was used directly and more that the infrastructure/expertise to support GoT's production was already established because of Rome's prior existence.

Edit: though i guess it's possible some stuff from rome was outright re-used, idk for sure

I watched them back to back in 2011 and I definitely recall recognizing reused armor, so I’m certain they reused props and costuming… unless it happened that the same people redesigned the exact same outfits, which is also possible… You can look at the crew lists on imdb and see the overlaps in cinematographers, editors, costume designers, armorers, etc. in GOT’s early years so one way or another they leaned heavily on that preexisting infrastructure.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

Yea, being punked.
Matt said he's just tired, a month without a warm bed will do that. Then when Rand comments on how expensive the room is, Matt says 'better than the road'. They have been sleeping rough.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

El Grillo posted:

You're assuming a bunch of stuff that the show hasn't actually said. That's fine to a certain point, we fill in tiny gaps in a narrative all the time without even realising it. But you're coming up with a whole explanation for some things that are actually just inconsistencies in the show. If they sold their horses or had some other way to get money, and were able to buy new cloaks, why were they sleeping rough for a month? Even with the explanations you've made up to try to fill the hole, it makes no sense.

sorry thread for starting this derail

I'm guessing they were sleeping rough because the last inn they were at was run by a Darkfriend who called a Fade on them and the last farm family who took them in got slaughtered by that Fade. So if you're scared of Darkfriends and don't want another dead family on your conscience, you're going to be sleeping in hayfields and under hedges for a month.

They're only getting a room now because they've made it to Tar Valon and feel safe from Darkfriends and Fades here in the center of Aes Sedai power.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

El Grillo posted:

Matt said he's just tired, a month without a warm bed will do that. Then when Rand comments on how expensive the room is, Matt says 'better than the road'. They have been sleeping rough.

all the money in the entire world will not make inns and beds appear on back country roads. you could also use your big brain and consider that if money is a finite resource (they only had two horsies! ) they were conserving that money on the way to Tar Valon and mildly upset that all their careful budgeting has gone out the window for a single night in an inn. the line is there to show that they are essentially hosed financially and will need to use moiraine or other resources to continue to survive.
why am I wasting my breath

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wait, hang on, what's the inconsistency again?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

buffalo all day posted:

im going to become the joker

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I do feel like the "One month later..." transition felt rough, no argument there, but nothing is particularly farfetched about what was skipped over.

At least in this timeline.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CainFortea posted:

They had horses.
They have coin.

The next time some goon kramers in to the thread yelling about how they need to do more "show don't tell" or "ugh trust the audience some more to figure things out," just go back and tap this exchange repeatedly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as a point of context from the books there's a series of events on the road that gets compressed a bit in the show where they're primarily hoofing it and sleeping insanely rough due to wanting to avoid getting killed in their sleep by a fade or whatever else because they're basically more on the run than anything. they're not entirely lacking in funds, just only now getting to the first place they can actually rest and briefly commenting on how expensive everything is compared to the inn they're used to in their podunk, backwater village.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

El Grillo posted:

Ah I thought I heard a coin clinking SFX or something when he took the food. edit: rewatching now, yeah there is

Yeah, I looked back and he does quickly toss a coin in there.

Bongo Bill posted:

They mention that the inn is expensive to establish that everything is more expensive in the city than out in the sticks, as part of a series of details that reinforce that they are in a place that is strange and unfamiliar to them, but they're making do.

Yeah, I figure that was just a general comment about how expensive things were, not how much they'd necessarily paid. There's no reason to mention that Thom's friend owns the inn if they're not getting a hookup of some kind. But the writing definitely could have been clearer there.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

How are u posted:

Ask it in the God drat spoiler thread, maybe?

It just keeps happening.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

I Am Fowl posted:

The design of the White Tower is very interesting. Can any architecture nerds tell me what it's taking inspiration from?
Not sure if this is what you are asking, but the interiors decor (and the exteriors for the town in general) are pretty much Arabic Spain/Moorish in inspiration.

EDIT: in fact, I think the castle besieged by Logain in the previous episode was part of the Alhambra in Granada?

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 6, 2021

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006