Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheWeedNumber posted:

I still don’t fully understand what happened here. There’s a lot going on, what went down besides a loving catastrophe lol

Let's see if I understand it:

-OP is with Ex
-OP receives unsolicited sexts. Ex dumps her over this.
-Ex shacks up with OP's friend E. E disapproved of the Ex-OP relationship the entire time.
-E offers OP's sister a free wedding venue. E and Ex will attend. OP briefly fights with Sister over this, then reconciles and helps out with the wedding.
-At the rehearsal dinner, Ex proposes to E. OP is upset but holds it together long enough to perform her role in the actual wedding.
-Sister admits she knew E had planned the proposal and went along with it even though she (the sister) also knew it would hurt OP. OP fights with sister again. OP pulls out of family christmas gathering. This is the original question OP wanted a ruling on.
-Sister begins spreading rumors that Ex dumped OP for cheating. This causes a lot of (to the OP) mysterious bad blood throughout the family.
-OP gets back in touch with Ex. They both realize E was behind the sexts, the breakup, and the ensuing drama.
-Ex breaks up with E. E fights with Sister.
-Sister goes on a social media rampage and causes a bunch more drama. OP cuts various ties.
-OP is still disinvited from family christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'd assumed that OP's sister sent the fake sexts to get OP's bf to be with E

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

-OP is with Ex
-Ex shacks up with OP's friend E. E disapproved of the Ex-OP relationship the entire time.
-E offers OP's sister a free wedding venue. E and Ex will attend. OP briefly fights with Sister over this, then reconciles and helps out with the wedding.
-At the rehearsal dinner, Ex proposes to E. OP is upset but holds it together long enough to perform her role in the actual wedding.
-Sister admits she knew E had planned the proposal and went along with it even though she (the sister) also knew it would hurt OP. OP fights with sister again. OP pulls out of family christmas gathering. This is the original question OP wanted a ruling on.
-Sister begins spreading rumors that Ex dumped OP for cheating. This causes a lot of (to the OP) mysterious bad blood throughout the family.
-OP gets back in touch with Ex. They both realize E was behind the sexts, the breakup, and the ensuing drama.
-Sister goes on a social media rampage and causes a bunch more drama. OP cuts various ties.

I need a flow chart or something.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

haveblue posted:

-OP is with Ex

What I'm seeing here is that naming two characters 'E' and 'Ex' was a poor choice on the OP's part

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

This needs an update :smith:

AITA for not letting my dad get a paternity test?

quote:

My dad wants to get a paternity test cos hes recently gotten convinced I'm not his real daughter. My mum ran away to another country with some guy when I was 8 years old and lately my dad's gotten really sure she was cheating on him long before that and I'm actually someone else's baby. He keeps talking about how paternity fraud is a big issue and he needs a paternity test to be sure he's not getting suckered into raising another man's kid.

I don't know why this is only coming up now, and honestly it really hurts my feelings that hes like "I don't think you're really my kid". I'm biased obviously but I don't think I'm a difficult kid, I get good grades, I don't drink or do drugs or smoke, I don't talk back, I do my chores. So why does it feel like he's so desperate for me to not be his? Does he hate being my dad that much?

Even though I'm pretty sure I am his real daughter, because we look pretty similar, I'm kinda scared of what might happen if we find out I'm not. Like, would he stop caring about me? Would he kick me out? I have nowhere to go. So even though he's fully set on getting a test, I'm refusing, and he's mad about it. I even told him I would consider doing it when I'm 18 (I'm 16 now, it's not that long to wait) but apparently he needs it right now. AITA for refusing?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Hughlander posted:

Holy crap, the poor kid :( I hope there's a happy update where dad decides to give this up and just supports her.

AITA for not accepting my sister's relationship with my BIL?

quote:

I (27) am the middle daughter in our family. I have 2 sisters (Kelly 30) and (Rachel 25). We lost Kelly to cancer in 2019. It was the biggest tragedy she left behind her twin boys (7) and husband (BIL Joseph 30). He used to spend a lot of time at my parents to get help with the kids. Rachel then moved out and kept her distance for few months.

2 months ago we were at my parente house when Rachel and Joseph got up and announced that they were engaged. to say that we were shocked is an understatement but my parents said nothing after Joseph explained that Rachel helped him in his darkest times and comforted him a lot since they were both connected by Kelly's passing. I just left with my husband as Rachel started crying after I called her disgusting to her face to do this to our sister.

When things calmed down I actually recieved an invitation to Rachel and Joseph's wedding while asking for my "approval and blessing" My husband laughed saying these 2 were legitimately mentally unstable to carry on with this; and I couldn't believe it either! I returned it immediately and refused to give my approval which caused Rachel to go on social media crying about how I mistreated her after she sacrificed her job and life to shelter her nephews and help them live stable life and make sure they don't get stuck with an evil stepmother who might abuse them. Basically saying she's doing this for her nephews to be able to grow up and stay close to family.

My parents visited to talk and started praising Rachel for all of her "sacrifices" and good deeds by looking after the kids and asked that I finally approve of their marriage and attend the wedding but I lost it on them asking if they ever thought what Rachel did was okay. What about Kelly? Would she have wanted her sister to take her place? My God....the kids, what about the kids? How do they even feel about this? Who's Rachel to them now? Auntie? Mom? Stepmom? All 3? And they think they won't be confused and angry their own aunt took their mother's place? If you're saying you're just trying to keep the family together the family is already divided and I won't be surprised if my nephews cut contact when they're old enough to do so. Mom said my behavior was disgraceful and argued I was wrong in most of the points I made and called me judgemental and bitter to decide to guilt Rachel for "stepping up" to take on a role of the mother and said I was selfish to judge my grieving sister and brother inlaw after I questioned the length of their relatioship cause if this was happening while Kelly was alive and sick then I'm speechless but if it was happening in the past few months then neither Joseph nor Rachel are thinking rationally. We went on for hours arguing then they left. I told my husband to block Joseph but Rachel reached out via SM saying I'm making her feel guilty with my stance and disapproval of her relationship and said I was making it hard for her and the kids when she's trying to bring the family together.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for picking out my daughter's outfits?

I hope reddit is giving this lady what for.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not accepting my sister's relationship with my BIL?
:lol: OP is a tremendous rear end in a top hat

Everything in the post makes her an rear end in a top hat and then she triples down being lovely with a "think of the CHILDREN!?!?"

quote:

My God....the kids, what about the kids? How do they even feel about this? Who's Rachel to them now? Auntie? Mom? Stepmom? All 3? And they think they won't be confused and angry their own aunt took their mother's place?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kenshin posted:

:lol: OP is a tremendous rear end in a top hat

Everything in the post makes her an rear end in a top hat and then she triples down being lovely with a "think of the CHILDREN!?!?"

Na.

It’s pretty fuckin weird.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Kenshin posted:

From the account, it sounds like the Aunt/Fiancee is making the same argument.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

From the account, it sounds like the Aunt/Fiancee is making the same argument.
It does, on the other hand she's the one that, per the BIL, was there for him after sister's death. Honestly really seems like OP is dealing with her sister's death worse than sister or BIL are.

quote:

My husband laughed saying these 2 were legitimately mentally unstable to carry on with this

quote:

neither Joseph nor Rachel are thinking rationally
can't trust people throwing this many accusations of two other adults both being crazy

quote:

Rachel started crying after I called her disgusting to her face to do this to our sister.
"how could you do this to your dead sister" :lol: yeah nope

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 6, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AKA Pseudonym posted:

How temporary was this going to be if he didn't pack some pants?

It's Florida. Is it ever cool enough there to not be shorts weather?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's Florida. Is it ever cool enough there to not be shorts weather?

I lived in Tampa for a while and it got down to the 30s in the winter a few times.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I lived in Tampa for a while and it got down to the 30s in the winter a few times.

So, no then.

Minnesotishly

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hughlander posted:

Oh poo poo, the dad's totally going to go the full Gattaca and take a hair off her brush and kick her out.

The fact he's pushing this shows he's already clocked out of their relationship.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

Sounds like Moroccan cooking, yum!

My very best guess is that burt-mash girl either a) tried to be very extra and roast the potatoes before mashing, burning them a bit, or imo b) left the pot of mash on the hot element and the bottom of it burnt, which she then made the rookie mistake of mixing/stirring so the burnt flavour blended through even after all the black stuff was thrown out. Raisins where added in later to try and counteract the bitterness?

Or maybe she nailed the dish and that's how she likes it, who knows.
The other Terrible Cook possibility is that they never tasted it at all and didn't even plan on eating it. :v:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
All of these stories, even if like half are fake, make me so happy to be a grumpy single person.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Cold mashed potatoes and raisins recipe here

https://guides.brit.co/guides/make-cold-mashed-potato-and-raisins-salad

Or possibly a Moroccan mashed sweet potato gone wrong...

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Sloth Life posted:

Cold mashed potatoes and raisins recipe here

Or possibly a Moroccan mashed sweet potato gone wrong...

e: fun fact about Morocco, by the way. When people talk about America’s longest ally, everybody says it’s France. This isn’t actually true. France supported America during the revolutionary war, and we wouldn’t be the same without them. Then Napoleon came to power and things weren’t good between the two countries for a while.

But this doesn’t actually matter, because France isn’t America’s oldest ally. It’s Morocco. Morocco was the first ever country to recognize America as a sovereign nation. Pretty much, the emperor of Morocco at the time wanted to stick it to the king of England, and he did that by recognizing one of their colonies as a foreign country.

America and Morocco signed a treaty of good will, saying that their ports will always be open to each other. This is America’s longest standing treaty. To this day, there has never been a single day of bad relations between the two countries. If you’re an American wishing to visit Morocco or a Moroccan wishing to visit America, you don’t even need a passport.

Ziv Zulander fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 6, 2021

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

AKA Pseudonym posted:

How temporary was this going to be if he didn't pack some pants?

Yeah really how do you not pack a single pair of pants?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

I hope reddit is giving this lady what for.

Locked and deleted after a few double downs in the comments

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Na.

It’s pretty fuckin weird.
Yeah they should be unhappy so that other people don't feel icky. It's the only way.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

tractor fanatic posted:

Yeah really how do you not pack a single pair of pants?

Well there has to be an inverse for people that assume they are going to poo poo themselves multiple times a day so they pack 30 pairs of underwear and pants for a weekend trip.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Yeah, marrying your dead sibling's widow/widower seems kind of messed up, but eh...it's their lives and you're definitely an rear end in a top hat if you actively try to keep them apart because you're grossed out what they're doing.

Incidentally it's also what the bible instructs you to do. There's some passage about how if your brother dies and you're single you should marry his widow. I actually have a great uncle who did exactly that, and it was always a minor scandal in my family that some of the old people would mutter about.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for being embarrassed by how much my dads gf looks like me?

quote:

My dad (60m) has a new girlfriend (23f) and I (19f) was introduced to her a few weeks ago. His gf is young as hell and she looks exactly like me,similar dress sense,similar voice and mannerisms. We look disturbingly alike. Us looking alike and her age has really been messing with my mind. My dad says he doesn’t see it but he’s clearly lying if even the waitress thought we were twins!!!! It was so embarrassing when the waitress realized it was his girlfriend and not his daughter. I could literally see the entire waitstaff discussing it. I told my dad to never ask me to meet them in public when he’s with her if he wasn’t going to break up with her.

He says I’m being a dick for being upset by her age and that we don’t look that alike, I feel like my feelings are valid. Who’s being unreasonable here?

My mom and I look almost nothing alike. I have her eyes and height but that’s about it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Blastedhellscape posted:

Yeah, marrying your dead sibling's widow/widower seems kind of messed up, but eh...it's their lives and you're definitely an rear end in a top hat if you actively try to keep them apart because you're grossed out what they're doing.

Incidentally it's also what the bible instructs you to do. There's some passage about how if your brother dies and you're single you should marry his widow. I actually have a great uncle who did exactly that, and it was always a minor scandal in my family that some of the old people would mutter about.

Yeah, and god definitely doesn't like it if you just spill your seed upon the ground.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, and god definitely doesn't like it if you just spill your seed upon the ground.

Well yeah, He wants you to use a tissue like a normal person ya fuckin grody weirdo

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

There is only one remaining crime in Ireland that still carries the death penalty and it's this.

Cooking by other than boiling: death by hanging.

Piell posted:

AITA for not making my (32f) boyfriend (27m) adhere to a dress code my mother requested for my birthday dinner?

Really leaning right into the florida man thing.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Blastedhellscape posted:

Sis's "it's for the kids I'm saving them from possible ~evil stepmother~" has a definite smell of a guilty conscience making excuses about it to me, but whether it's guilt about comforting the widower's dick before he was actually a widower or just guilt for getting with her sister's husband after she died there's no way of telling.

But OP's "oh no those poor confused children" without, apparently, ever talking to the kids is pure :therapy: she is not handling her grief well in the slightest.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

If I remember Sunday School you can do that, but only on soil, not on a path or thorns or stony ground

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

It's weird but OP's reaction is loving insane. Unless Auntie is actually responsible for killing the sister, there's nothing 'wrong' with marrying her dead sister's husband. It's weird. But it's probably not actually bad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

It's weird but OP's reaction is loving insane. Unless Auntie is actually responsible for killing the sister, there's nothing 'wrong' with marrying her dead sister's husband. It's weird. But it's probably not actually bad.

Totally. It's strange, but if it's gonna happen, well it's their lives and you aren't doing those kids any favors by causing a huge rift in their family

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pentyne posted:

It's one of those times you absolutely need a lawyer immediately if another involved party's lawyer says to you "you need a lawyer" because they must know some heinous poo poo is going to go down if you just agree to whatever that person wants.

My parents have a retirement home, and have already had a lawyer write up the system for how the kids can buy/sell each others portion of it and such, because they have seen how stupid poo poo like this can make families act dumb as hell.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Piell posted:

AITA for not making my (32f) boyfriend (27m) adhere to a dress code my mother requested for my birthday dinner?

quote:

My family also does this thing that I like to call "King of The Hill night". Every Friday all the neighbors, family, and friends gather at my mom and step-dad's house to drink and shoot the poo poo while we hang out in front of the garage.

quote:

My mom asked me to pick a restaurant (I picked Texas Roadhouse) and set it up for the evening of my birthday.

I appreciate that this whole family LARPs living on Rainey Street.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Ziv Zulander posted:

. If you’re an American wishing to visit Morocco or a Moroccan wishing to visit America, you don’t even need a passport.

Thats not what the state dept website says

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The situation hinges on how sister and BIL handle their relationship. Is Auntie the new mommy? That for sure would be creepy. But there's no mention that any weird behavior has been going on, only OP freaking the gently caress out over the idea of her dead sister being replaced wholesale.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
AITA for always purposefully putting the grocery carts far from the cart area?

quote:

So hear me out. My brother used to work at a grocery store, and where he worked, cart duty was everyone's favorite job. It is the only task that's outside (California), it requires almost no customer interaction, there's no bending down, workers only take as many carts as they can carry, and since everyone is paid hourly, it's not a time suck for the workers who are on a set schedule anyways. It might also lead to more hiring.

Because of that I always put the carts farther from the front door on purpose. But I do get funny looks, and my husband thinks I shouldn't.

AITA?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

its weird but in the sliding scale of weirdness its way less odd than a billion other things kids ITT have had to deal with, they will be fine.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Propaniac posted:

AITA for always purposefully putting the grocery carts far from the cart area?

Depends on what store you’re doing it at. Some stores track your movements the entire day and expect you to be doing something every second you’re on the clock, some stores it’s a lot easier to goof off. If it’s the former NTA, the latter YTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Cart return person isn't the rear end in a top hat as long as they aren't blocking parking spots with the carts. If you're putting them up in the little raised tree area or next to light posts, that's fine.

Oh, also if it's not lovely weather.