Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Homeless Friend posted:

btw this came out and wapo had some choice quotes lol

Hahaha baby numbers. I live in Alberta, where we produce 150 pounds of oil per capita.

Per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Puppy Burner posted:

subsidies you can't even imagine are giving to the fossil fuel industry and its subsidiaries. wealth beyond what you will ever dream thrown directly into killing the world

What is the reason for the massive fossil fuel subsidies, anyway? There's the usual reasons like corruption and recycling the money into political donations, but that's true for any other industry.

Since fossil fuels are a necessity for industrial civilization, and especially for continued growth, then I'm guessing that governments would want to stabilize oil supply for the same reasons they'd want to stabilize agriculture. Hypothetically, what would be the likely consequences if the fossil fuels subsidies were reduced? Would we be likely to see supply shocks?

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Corsec posted:

What is the reason for the massive fossil fuel subsidies, anyway? There's the usual reasons like corruption and recycling the money into political donations, but that's true for any other industry.

Since fossil fuels are a necessity for industrial civilization, and especially for continued growth, then I'm guessing that governments would want to stabilize oil supply for the same reasons they'd want to stabilize agriculture. Hypothetically, what would be the likely consequences if the fossil fuels subsidies were reduced? Would we be likely to see supply shocks?

America had a lot of oil and a lot of people (such as the Bush family) made a lot of money off of that oil and decided the rest of the world belonged to them as well once america became the global Hegemon.

If we stopped, oil would become so expensive as to be unprofitable and western civilization would immediately collapse. If they were merely reduced the US would go fascist so fast you'd be in the slave mines before the next election.

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

I garden as a hobby to keep my mind off the upcoming oblivion and thought of this thread when this popped into my recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf8usAesJvo

It reaches towards the silver lining of humanity's hubris as it redirects an entire river in the name of desert based suburbia and alfalfa fields in Arizona. The narrator doesn't present his views in the video but in the comments he writes:

quote:

I left judgement of the canal up to the viewer and just presented the facts. But between you and me, I think it's a travesty and an ecological catastrophe.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Chamale posted:

Hahaha baby numbers. I live in Alberta, where we produce 150 pounds of oil per capita.

Per day.

1,500 pounds per day, big whoop

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

LibCrusher posted:

man I thought last year was gonna be the worst “year without a winter” in the decade because of the drop in aerosols from jets. turns out this year doesn’t get a winter either! hmm!

interesting side effect of terrible abc aerosols reducing due to cleaner manufacturing is that they were obfuscating 1-2c of warming around the globe.

will be fun to see the rapid temp increase as the existing aerosols degenerate out of the atmosphere in the next decade

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Tabletops posted:

interesting side effect of terrible abc aerosols reducing due to cleaner manufacturing is that they were obfuscating 1-2c of warming around the globe.

will be fun to see the rapid temp increase as the existing aerosols degenerate out of the atmosphere in the next decade

Still wondering how much of the currently insane-o weather is a rubberband from the 6+ months of mega emissions drop last year, tbh.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Puppy Burner posted:

If we stopped, oil would become so expensive as to be unprofitable and western civilization would immediately collapse. If they were merely reduced the US would go fascist so fast you'd be in the slave mines before the next election.

I'm skeptical that all fossil fuels are unprofitable without subsidies (I know that some sources of fossil fuels often are though, like fracking). Since taxes are redistributive, subsidies for oil are funded by the other economic activity that fossil fuels enable. If oil didn't have an energy surplus after accounting for the production process then it would be impossible to subsidize (because inflation would outpace the ability to tax and fund subsidies). As long as the EROEI is high enough, it shoud have some level of profitability.

However, it would make sense if governments dealt with the declining EROEI by reducing demand for oil by the poor. This would have the effect of stabilizing prices for the richer people. This can be achieved by increasingly regressive taxes plus more downward pressure on wages even more.

Yeah, I'd expect governments to go full fash before they voluntarily accepted declines in fossil fuel use.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rime posted:

Still wondering how much of the currently insane-o weather is a rubberband from the 6+ months of mega emissions drop last year, tbh.

i remember before covid, people had hypothesized that a halt to air travel would cause a dramatic and nearly instantaneous increase in temperatures since huge amounts of suspended particulates emitted by jet exhaust that normally reflect light and increase the albedo of the earth would suddenly be gone. looks like that might be the case!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Stereotype posted:

i remember before covid, people had hypothesized that a halt to air travel would cause a dramatic and nearly instantaneous increase in temperatures since huge amounts of suspended particulates emitted by jet exhaust that normally reflect light and increase the albedo of the earth would suddenly be gone. looks like that might be the case!

Flights circling the globe without any passengers not so obscene now is it climatailures?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
apparently the jetstream is "stuck"

https://www.king5.com/article/news/nation-world/weird-weather-cause-jet-stream-la-nina/507-ee982ec8-da1f-4fd2-ae91-70f5bdb99c40

quote:

Stuck jet stream, La Nina causing weird weather

America’s winter wonderland is starting out this season as anything but traditional.

The calendar says December but for much of the country temperatures beckon for sandals. Umbrellas, if not arks, are needed in the Pacific Northwest, while in the Rockies snow shovels are gathering cobwebs.

Meteorologists attribute the latest batch of record-shattering weather extremes to a stuck jet stream and the effects of a La Nina weather pattern from cooling waters in the equatorial Pacific.
One big factor: The jet stream — the river of air that moves weather from west to east on a rollercoaster-like path — has just been stuck. That means low pressure on one part of the stream is bringing rain to the Pacific Northwest, while high pressure hovering over about two-thirds of the nation produces dry and warmer weather, said Brian Hurley, a senior meteorologist at the weather service’s Weather Prediction Center in College Park, Maryland.

If the jet stream moves more or bends differently, rain and other extreme weather won't be as concentrated, Hurley said.

This is a typical weather pattern with a natural La Nina weather oscillation, he said. The flip side of El Nino, a La Nina is a cooling of parts of the central Pacific Ocean that changes weather patterns across the globe. La Ninas tend to bring more rain to the Pacific Northwest and make the South drier and warmer.

These bouts of extreme weather happen more frequently as the world warms, said meteorologist Jeff Masters, founder of Weather Underground who now works at Yale Climate Connections. But scientists haven't done the required study to attribute these events to human-caused climate change.

can somebody try turning the jet stream off and on again? maybe that will get it moving again?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oh we're well on our way to turning it off

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

No government's going to issue suicide pills. You'll suffer until the day you die

Correct. It'll be private industry top to bottom.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/sarco-suicide-capsule--passes-legal-review--in-switzerland/46966510

quote:

SWI swissinfo.ch: What is Sarco and how does it work?

Philip Nitschke: It’s a 3-D printed capsule, activated from the inside by the person intending to die. The machine can be towed anywhere for the death. It can be in an idyllic outdoor setting or in the premises of an assisted suicide organisation, for example.

The person will get into the capsule and lie down. It’s very comfortable. They will be asked a number of questions and when they have answered, they may press the button inside the capsule activating the mechanism in their own time.

The capsule is sitting on a piece of equipment that will flood the interior with nitrogen, rapidly reducing the oxygen level to 1 per cent from 21 per cent. The person will feel a little disoriented and may feel slightly euphoric before they lose consciousness. The whole thing takes about 30 seconds. Death takes place through hypoxia and hypocapnia, oxygen and carbon dioxide deprivation, respectively. There is no panic, no choking feeling.

SWI swissinfo.ch: Your stated goal is to de-medicalise the dying process. What does that entail?

P.N.: Currently a doctor or doctors need to be involved to prescribe the sodium pentobarbital and to confirm the person’s mental capacity. We want to remove any kind of psychiatric review from the process and allow the individual to control the method themselves.

Our aim is to develop an artificial intelligence screening system to establish the person’s mental capacity. Naturally there is a lot of scepticism, especially on the part of psychiatrists. But our original conceptual idea is that the person would do an online test and receive a code to access the Sarco.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

https://www.king5.com/article/news/nation-world/weird-weather-cause-jet-stream-la-nina/507-ee982ec8-da1f-4fd2-ae91-70f5bdb99c40

can somebody try turning the jet stream off and on again? maybe that will get it moving again?

So much for global warming lul.

Wait,

poo poo..

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

too bad that scientists haven't done the required study to figure out if people are causing this. we should assume that people aren't causing it and that this is normal until scientists figure it out

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i remember reading about a guy who wanted to die so badly he designed his own method to ensure he had almost 0 chance of living through it

it was some kind of helmet with a bunch of shotgun shells wired together to go off at once

way more hardcore than a lame privatized nitrogen death. that guy went to valhalla

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Raine posted:

i remember reading about a guy who wanted to die so badly he designed his own method to ensure he had almost 0 chance of living through it

it was some kind of helmet with a bunch of shotgun shells wired together to go off at once

way more hardcore than a lame privatized nitrogen death. that guy went to valhalla

ah, the Dr James Incandeza approach.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Yeah, I saw that. There has to be a "chicken switch," so I wonder how soon until you get Twitch/YouTube daredevils who go through the motions just to see if they can cheat the reaper and bail out of the suicide box before they pass out, while getting a :catdrugs: high in the process.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 06:27 on Dec 6, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Corsec posted:

you pretty much guessed it that it's mandatory for the americana west way of life. the promise of your own little tracthouse yeoman farmer private fiefdom: a mans home is his castle. all with your own white picket fence and station wagon ford f950 kingcab freedom rancher limited 9/11 edition truck to take the kids out to soccer practice. endless, cheap imported + trucked halfway across the country, material commodities at your fingertip just waiting for you to c o n s u m e them from your hard days work. endless infinite growth and your sprawled home can only ever go up in value.

america without fossil fuels basically instantly collapses. whenever there's a rise in gas cost it immediately spends the dominant faction into negative spotlight with imminent retribution for letting gas prices get too high.

(and yes there's a lot of political donations from O&G companies for the last 100 years. e.g. also west virginia as a more blatant version of this)

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Dec 6, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Homeless Friend posted:

btw this came out and wapo had some choice quotes lol

quote:

The researchers estimated that between 1.13 million to 2.24 million metric tons of the United States’ plastic waste leak into the environment each year. About 8 million metric tons of plastic end up in the ocean a year,

How can 8 be a subset of that 1.13-2.24? Or is the ocean simply not a subset of the environment

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I assumed the 8 million was worldwide compared to what comes from the US.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
:ms:

Thanks, 500 good dogs. I'd give you all a belly rub but ain't nobody got time for that

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I saw that. There has to be a "chicken switch," so I wonder how soon until you get Twitch/YouTube daredevils who go through the motions just to see if they can cheat the reaper and bail out of the suicide box before they pass out, while getting a :catdrugs: high in the process.
if I die during my Twitch Plays Suicide Booth stream is it suicide or murder?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Flights circling the globe without any passengers not so obscene now is it climatailures?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Flights circling the globe without any passengers was basically half the cold war

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

TACD posted:

if I die during my Twitch Plays Suicide Booth stream is it suicide or murder?

Wire the button to a channel points reward and let chat decide your fate.
LOL you are dead.

Or better yet, make it a donation goal so everyone or no one is guilty.

mcbexx has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Dec 6, 2021

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Butterfinger quote is not edit.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

finally, some hope

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Corsec posted:

I'm skeptical that all fossil fuels are unprofitable without subsidies (I know that some sources of fossil fuels often are though, like fracking). Since taxes are redistributive, subsidies for oil are funded by the other economic activity that fossil fuels enable. If oil didn't have an energy surplus after accounting for the production process then it would be impossible to subsidize (because inflation would outpace the ability to tax and fund subsidies). As long as the EROEI is high enough, it shoud have some level of profitability.

However, it would make sense if governments dealt with the declining EROEI by reducing demand for oil by the poor. This would have the effect of stabilizing prices for the richer people. This can be achieved by increasingly regressive taxes plus more downward pressure on wages even more.

Yeah, I'd expect governments to go full fash before they voluntarily accepted declines in fossil fuel use.

Can't wait to live cyclonopedia although we probably have for a while I don't know I couldn't make heads or tails of it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Raine posted:

couldn't he have just jumped off an extremely tall building

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

actionjackson posted:

couldn't he have just jumped off an extremely tall building

i dont think using a method where you have a bunch of time to reconsider your decision but no way to stop the process is really ideal

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can't wait to live cyclonopedia although we probably have for a while I don't know I couldn't make heads or tails of it

this is more like a sequel.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

blatman posted:

i dont think using a method where you have a bunch of time to reconsider your decision but no way to stop the process is really ideal

You wouldn't have time to complete more than a brief sentence of thought for most tall buildings with an accessible roof. Maybe 6 seconds at most.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
sounds like a good way to find out owl creek bridge is right

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Mr. Lobe posted:

You wouldn't have time to complete more than a brief sentence of thought for most tall buildings with an accessible roof. Maybe 6 seconds at most.

tbh the only thing i know about falling off buildings comes from movies, i assumed it would be longer

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
6 seconds would probably feel a lot longer if you spent it falling from a building

It's always been my opinion that the best way to kill yourself is a disposable barbecue (after the flames have gone out) in a tent. Carbon monoxide is supposed to be like going to sleep.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

How can 8 be a subset of that 1.13-2.24? Or is the ocean simply not a subset of the environment

They tow it outside of the environment.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

blatman posted:

tbh the only thing i know about falling off buildings comes from movies, i assumed it would be longer

i read a thing once that said wtc jumpers probably averaged around 10 seconds from jump to impact

(that's 1300 feet roughly)

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Cold on a Cob posted:

i read a thing once that said wtc jumpers probably averaged around 10 seconds from jump to impact

(that's 1300 feet roughly)

ive regretted decisions much faster than that, story checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

VP of plastics: you can't cut back on plastic! you will regret this!