Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I don’t see it as weird at all. But we’re missing some context that would clarify what is so weird and awful about it.

Was the sister banging the BIL while other sister was dying? If yes, then gently caress them both, that’s horrible.

But if she really was the only one there to support BIL after the sister’s death, and they happened to become involved after, what’s so wrong about that? I think that’s actually lovely that he could find happiness again. Two years is a long time for some people.

Either way OP is seriously troubled and sounds insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Mx. posted:

AITA FOR TELLING MY MOM MY SISTER WAS SECRETLY MOVING OUT?

r/relationships: Wow. gently caress all the way off Cecilia

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Propaniac posted:

AITA for always purposefully putting the grocery carts far from the cart area?

When I worked at a grocery store, carts were definitely not everyone's favourite. I never minded it, because yeah, you're outside, mostly you don't have to deal with customers, and you also didn't have to wear a face mask which was a nice break.

It is also very physical even if you limit how many carts you're pushing, and if the weather is bad you're going to be wet, or cold, or pushing through a couple inches of snow or slush, or a weird dirty slush that had the consistency of wet sand so you can only do three carts at a time. If it's hot, you're going to be sweating bullets in the middle of concrete. Carts abandoned on the far side of the shopping centre never filled me with happiness, but tired resignation, and possibly "gently caress, I don't have time to get that right now." I had indoor duties too, and sometimes I was the only clerk because it was early. On busy days the flow of carts was so steady that you'd be out there for three hours, then go in, find your partner lazily bagging, and have to force them to go take your place so you could have the lunch you were supposed to have an hour ago. And they'd argue with you.

This person's heart is in the right place, but in practice they're just making someone's job more difficult.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Piell posted:

AITA for not making my (32f) boyfriend (27m) adhere to a dress code my mother requested for my birthday dinner?

He slipped on pee pee at costco and got a box of shorts in the settlement. King of the hill day is saved.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Give the mom a boggle set for christmas with a note saying "You'd best start believing in king of the hill stories, Miss Peggy. Because now you're in one."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RoboRodent posted:

When I worked at a grocery store, carts were definitely not everyone's favourite. I never minded it, because yeah, you're outside, mostly you don't have to deal with customers, and you also didn't have to wear a face mask which was a nice break.

It is also very physical even if you limit how many carts you're pushing, and if the weather is bad you're going to be wet, or cold, or pushing through a couple inches of snow or slush, or a weird dirty slush that had the consistency of wet sand so you can only do three carts at a time. If it's hot, you're going to be sweating bullets in the middle of concrete. Carts abandoned on the far side of the shopping centre never filled me with happiness, but tired resignation, and possibly "gently caress, I don't have time to get that right now." I had indoor duties too, and sometimes I was the only clerk because it was early. On busy days the flow of carts was so steady that you'd be out there for three hours, then go in, find your partner lazily bagging, and have to force them to go take your place so you could have the lunch you were supposed to have an hour ago. And they'd argue with you.

This person's heart is in the right place, but in practice they're just making someone's job more difficult.

Yeah, they've taken one specific scenario and extrapolated it out to every grocery store when the grounds to do so seem pretty flimsy. Also everyone who notices her doing it is going to think she's a psycho who just enjoys being a dick to cart wranglers.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

There's a whole theory about shopping trolleys. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/08/style/shopping-cart-parking-lot.html

Also thank you to whoever posted the link to estranged parents... I pretty much just bookmark threads and had completely forgotten that this one was in GBS which really confused me for a bit with the replies.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ziv Zulander posted:

https://guides.brit.co/guides/make-cold-mashed-potato-and-raisins-salad

Looking at that site, I don't think either the site itself or the author of that article are actually British. :P I get the impression it's Brit(tany) & Company or something.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ziv Zulander posted:

If you’re an American wishing to visit Morocco or a Moroccan wishing to visit America, you don’t even need a passport.

I find this EXTREMELY unlikely and would quite like a cite.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Looking at that site, I don't think either the site itself or the author of that article are actually British. :P I get the impression it's Brit(tany) & Company or something.

I'm British and I've never come across this as a dish.

Also,

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

sugar mouse posted:

I'm British and I've never come across this as a dish.

Also,

no wonder the British had to invade half the world if this is the poo poo they produce as "food"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

wala

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

feedmegin posted:

I find this EXTREMELY unlikely and would quite like a cite.

Its not true. You don't need a visa as an American citizen for a visit of 90 days or fewer but that applies to a laundry list of countries.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for telling my husband I don’t want my SIL taking care of our child or even in the delivery room?

quote:

My (25F) husband (29M) and I are planning to have kids and are having a lot of important conversations before even attempting to conceive. Two big ones have been, who will be in the delivery room, and who will be helping us if we need help once I give birth (baby sitting, etc.).

I told him I was only comfortable with him and my mother in the delivery room. He told me that wasn’t fair because he doesn’t have a mom or dad (both passed away) and he wanted someone there for him. I asked him if he was the one pushing a baby out and then reiterated that this was my decision and mine alone as I’m the one doing the dirty work. That his only concern should be to support me.

Then I told him I didn’t want his sister taking care of my child alone because she’d racist, sexist, and just overall an idiot. She’s verbally abusive to her own daughters (making fun of their weight and depression) and that I didn’t want unnecessary confrontation when she eventually says something racist in front of my child and I have to reprimand her for it. I am non confrontational but some things require a kick in the rear end. She also keeps trying to name my un-produced child. And that my mother will be able to help whenever needed, IF needed.

He got upset over both.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?
Fortunately, OP says, yes, there will be therapy, and no, there will be no children until this is sorted out.
AITA for calling my husband ridiculous and refusing to take the list of expectations he gave me for his ["birthday month"]?

quote:

My husband is turning 30 next month. It's a big deal for him clearly and he wanted to rightfully be "pampered" and feel special on this ocassion.

But the thing is that he came up with a list and called it "birthday month expectations" I didn't know what that meant til he started reading the list out loud which consists of things he expects from throughout the entire month.

To give few examples: A. He is not to be asked to do any type of chores or clean or cook for a month.

B. He gets to play with his xbox for hours on end without me interrupting or nagging him about it.

C. He is not to pay his part of rent this month.

D. He gets to go out with his friends whenever he wants.

C. He gets to skip any given workday and sleep in without being bothered to wake up to drive our son to school or do any emergency fixes.

In other words he wants a month long vacation and time off from his responsibilities as a partner and as a father. I said are you being serious right now and he made a face and said " oh no worries this will only last for a month ["my birthday month"]. I called him ridiculous and said absolutely not I do not agree on anyhing on that list and said that his expectations for his birthday month was out of line. Now I have to mention that we both work but I do the majority of household chores and the majority of our son's care as well as the majority of rent, bills and internet payments and I can not afford to do what he's expecting me to do because we're struggling already and I need his help especially now. Not for him to make demands. He pitched a fit giving me grieve about how I'm being selfish towards his wants and that in my place he would've agreed to do all he could to make my ...["Birthday Month"] the happiest month of the year for me. I argued that birthday month is unheard of and just flatout ridiculous but he said that I don't understand because his parents did this for him for years and so did his friends [he never told me] so as his wife I should be happy to do it as well but I declined and refused to take it and keep arguing about it but he hasn't stopped talking about how disappointed he was that I treat his birthday like that and has been avoiding being near me making me feel like maybe I went too far here. AITA?

Note that he barely does poo poo anyway.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Op makes the Cart Narcs sad.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for calling my husband ridiculous and refusing to take the list of expectations he gave me for his ["birthday month"]?

I've got a friend that jokes about her "birthday week," but she and her husband are childless, they both work full-time, and either one of their incomes would be more than enough for both of them to live quite comfortably. Her birthday week is basically they go out to eat a bunch.

This guy is literally insane.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

Sis's "it's for the kids I'm saving them from possible ~evil stepmother~" has a definite smell of a guilty conscience making excuses about it to me, but whether it's guilt about comforting the widower's dick before he was actually a widower or just guilt for getting with her sister's husband after she died there's no way of telling.

But OP's "oh no those poor confused children" without, apparently, ever talking to the kids is pure :therapy: she is not handling her grief well in the slightest.

If I did the math right, it's been two years since the sister passed away from cancer in 2019, even with accounting for rounding up extra months. If the other sister really did step in immediately, that's 2 years of co grieving and co parenting. I really don't think there was anything untowards about what the sister did that was mentioned in the post. Stepping in to help with her nephews was probably welcome at the time since the BIL just lost his wife, and her nephews just lost their mom. Call me crazy but I wouldn't be in any romantic mood if my closer family members died.

Not to mention if the kids had the sister for a parental guide for two years? Either from age 7 to 9 or 5 to 7, they're probably used to seeing their aunt as a parent.

NOW. If the sister is trying to erase her deceased sister existence and become the kid's original bio mom, that's totally be loving weird. But the post says nothing about that. I agree with you in that the reddit op is not handling her grief well, or it has been reawoken by the engagement.

They say this in PYF as a joke, and it's kinda endearing. A lot better than the racist Enrique joke.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And I thought people that wanted a birthday week were assholes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

no wonder the British had to invade half the world if this is the poo poo they produce as "food"

Apart from the fact that site is obviously not British. Why would you ever have left over mashed potato?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In my family, we used to have "birthday week", but that mostly meant getting to pick what was for supper and being told by parents "nah, you don't have to X, it's your birthday week." No more presents, nothing major.

You have leftover mashed potato because you make lots so everybody can have lots but whoops you made too much lots. Then you have mashed potato pancakes, which personally I hate but whatever.

Leftover mashed potato is also an ingredient in the fluffiest dinner rolls, but I just make a couple of tablespoons from potato flakes when that comes up.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for hurting my mom’s friend’s feelings?

quote:

I got engaged about a month ago, and my fiancé and I recently set a date for late 2023. Everyone is excited, especially my mom, and in my opinion she’s using her excitement as an excuse to ignore boundaries, but everyone (other than my fiancé) is insisting I’m in the wrong here, so I’ve come to Reddit for help.

My mom’s friend is a hairdresser. My mom has been going to her for at least 25 years, and I grew up having this woman (I’ll call her Stacy) do my hair. Stacy was great when I was a kid, but as an adult woman, Stacy is… well, she’s very nice, but sometime in the past few years she’s been incapable of doing my hair. A few examples have been:

I asked for curtain bangs and left with straight across seven-year-old bangs

I asked Stacy not to use heat on my hair (trying to protect my natural curls), and Stacy told me I didn’t have curly hair and straightened it anyway

“Jokes” about checking in with my parents to make sure they “approved” what I was doing to my hair (this lasted until I stopped seeing Stacy at 22)

The last straw was asking for a caramel balayage and leaving with level 7 or 8 highlights with a money piece because “this looks better, trust me”. She didn’t say anything to me about changing the color to look better, she just did it

So, when my mom asked if I wanted Stacy to do everyone’s hair and makeup, I said no. However, my mom kept asking. I’m not exaggerating when I say she asked almost fifteen times in two weeks, and each time I said no. Eventually my mother and I came to the consensus that the wedding would be too far away from Stacy to even ask. I thought that was that.

The next day, my mom called. She had asked Stacy to do everyone’s makeup and hair, and Stacy had accepted! Wasn’t I excited? I reminded her that I had said no, and that even though she had asked Stacy, my answer was still no. My mom just hung up, and I haven’t heard from her since.

My dad and brother, however, are blowing up my phone. They say mom has been consoling Stacy this whole time, and I’m acting like a cold-hearted brat. They think once mom asked Stacy I should have just sucked it up, because Stacy is Mom’s friend, and I’ve really hurt her by excluding her. Who cares if she screws up hair/makeup? It’s just hair, and it’s just one day. Im being a bridezilla, and it’s only a month in.

Am I being an rear end in a top hat about this?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Anyone doing "birthday week" must be taken out back and shot, it's clearly "birthweek" if anything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
may as well ban all your family from wedding planning right now and save two years of aggravation

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Comes out in the comments that the father was spending all the income from all three trusts every year, and argued that he was owed the rest because his second wife and he needed it to retire on. Glad OP listened to wives and lawyers.

quote:

In order:

I don’t know whether he has retirement savings, but he has (well, had) a good career and access to plenty of extra cash every year. My step-mom also has a good career.

His money, just like mine, was still there and at roughly the same value as what was originally awarded.

You make a very similar point to the one my wife made, regarding our family.

Their father squandered 25 years of growth and since he was skimming the income off every year the accounts were the same value in 2020 as they were in 1996. If they had been managed with even the barest competence they could have easily had five times the money. Pulling up an older account I work with, if the father had just shoved everything into an S&P 500 fund in 2003 they would have gotten 650+% growth. Now add 7 years more on top of that.

Also:

quote:

A number of people have asked what my dad needed the money for, so:

His reasons as told to me were:

He’s been a good steward for 20+ years and I have no reason not to trust him

He and my step-mom (of 20+ years, most of my life) counted on this money for retirement. Also, they are not destitute. They have an extra, just for fun sports car and a riding lawnmower worth more than my car.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for Yelling at a Hairdresser for Shaving Her Hair in Solidarity??

quote:

Throwaway account for obvious reasons.

I'm a 25f who recently decided to go for a look change. I damaged my hair to beyond repair the last few years and decided to shave it all off and start fresh.

My friends suggested I get a pixie cut but I figured I wouldn't mind trying the bald thing for a while. I mean it's only a few months from bald to pixie so who cares. Besides the world is still in some level of lockdown so its not like I have a huge amount of parties to attend etc.

I booked my appointment and told a couple friends. They unbeknownst to me told the hairdresser I had cancer and was shaving my head because of it.

When I get there the hairdresser shop is quiet and has her phone on the trolley thing. I think it's a bit weird but don't give it too much consideration. She starts shaving my head. Then half way through stops and starts shaving hers. Her hair was short already so it's not like long locks we're being lopped off. I was speechless and asked her what she was doing.

Apparently...shaving hers in solidarity with me. The phone was recording it. I told her to stop.

A couple things didn't sit right with me.

Obviously the first being that I didn't have cancer. So shaving in solidarity didn't mean anything. She was just shaving her head.

Why was she recording it? I mean even if I did have cancer why was she recording it? What would have been a private moment for me and she's trying to get some sort of instafame on it.

I didn't even really know her. She's cut my hair twice before. If it's your best friend then fine but a she doesn't even know me apart from random few hairdressing conversations.

I was probably a bit meaner than I should have been. I told her that she shouldn't have been shaving my head for tiktok or whatever platform she intended to put it up on. That I didn't have cancer and she looks like she's trying to use my supposed cancer to get likes. She apologised profusely and said that my friends told her about it. Now I'm annoyed at my friends. I called them up and gave them a tongue lashing.

Apparently I'm the AH because it was just a joke. I shouldn't have been so mean to the hairdresser and just stayed quiet and gone alone with it because now I've embarrassed her, and even ruined a video. They even asked me to try get them the video because apparently it makes it funnier. But I'm annoyed at both because 1. Who records a cancer hair shaving of a stranger and in solidarity. 2. Who pulls that kind of joke.

I'm sure I'm not but reddit AITAH? I feel like I'm going crazy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My wife and I have birthdays two weeks apart so we celebrate a "birthday fortnight" wherein all sorts of bad decisions are excused

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA for moving my 2 younger siblings out of home and potentially making my parents sell their house?

quote:

I(24f) moved out of home when I was 16 so I never experienced this "you must pay rent at 18" that my younger siblings did but I did experience my dad's assholishness and that's why I left.

My 2 younger siblings have been told they must pay $300/week in rent each for their rooms in my parents house as well as paying half the bills. (For reference we live in nz, my parents house is in the wairarapa, average rent for a room in a flat is around $180-200 tops). My sister (19f) has been paying this since she turned 18 and my younger has been paying it for the last month. I think it's ridiculous and unfair considering they're both full time uni students who travel to Wellington every day for classes and have very high transport costs already not to mention the over priced rent.

My youngest sister reached out to me after seeing that my partner(27m) who owns (half with his parents) our 2 bedroom flat in wellington wellington was advertising the spare bedroom for $200/week plus expenses. She asked to move in with us and told us how badly she was struggling to afford rent, travel, bills, food, etc. Of course we accepted and she gave 2 weeks notice to our parents. My other sister found out and asked if she could move in too. They are now both moving into the spare room in Jan when our current flatmate moves out.

Turns out our dad was in a work accident 2 years ago and hasn't been able to work full time since and mum doesn't want to return to work after being a sahm for 24 years and they were struggling to afford their expenses which is why they were charging my sisters such high rent. Frankly I think it's appalling that they were letting my sisters overwork themselves so that they didn't have to change their life style but now they might have to sell their mcmansion (8bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, pool, etc) and buy a smaller house. My mums sister (who I can't stand as she's a rich snob that looks down on everyone in the service industry) has been slagging me all over social media for making my parents homeless. I'm pretty sure that I'm not TA but my partner(who has a great relationship with his family) is convinced that I'm doing the wrong thing here. AITA?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for moving my 2 younger siblings out of home and potentially making my parents sell their house?

"Let your parents financially abuse your siblings so your parents don't end up homeless because your mom doesn't feel like getting a job" is some real :decorum: poisoning

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
They're not ending up homeless. They sell the house, get an apartment and a bunch of money for early retirement, which is probably what they were planning to do once the kids moved out anyway. They were just milking the situation as long as they could.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They bought a home that could house and feed the Duggars for a family with three children.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ah, future estranged parents

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

2400 per month, jesus christ.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for hurting my mom’s friend’s feelings?

On the one hand, this thread has shown us time and time again how there are psychopath parents who will happily step all over any boundary set by their child.

On the other hand, I am curious if op actually ever said "no" when asked if this hairdresser could work their wedding. I've know more than a few extremely passive-aggressive folks who, when asked about something they don't want to do, will twist themselves into absolute pretzels to figure out a way to not actually outright say "no". They'll say "I don't know if that will work out" or "Well, we can consider it, but I'm not sure" or even "Oh gosh, wouldn't that be too far away to work out?". Then, they think they've been saying no while the person they're speaking to thinks that there are just some obstacles that need to be overcome (like book a flight for the hairdresser).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

On the other hand, I am curious if op actually ever said "no" when asked if this hairdresser could work their wedding.

quote:

So, when my mom asked if I wanted Stacy to do everyone’s hair and makeup, I said no. However, my mom kept asking. I’m not exaggerating when I say she asked almost fifteen times in two weeks, and each time I said no. Eventually my mother and I came to the consensus that the wedding would be too far away from Stacy to even ask. I thought that was that.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

There's no undoing this, either. Why would the siblings ever move back home? Let's just say somehow OP gets brow beaten enough to say her siblings need to move out. If market rent in the area is $200 for a room why would they pay their rear end in a top hat parents $1,200? Honestly it's weird that the siblings didn't just move out to other rooms on their own but I guess when you're young like that it can be a scary step.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
It's not spelled 'wala', persay

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Yeah, but the chronically passive-aggressive had a habit of thinking they have said "no" when they've actually deflected and expect the other person to recognize their deflection as a no. This line:

quote:

Eventually my mother and I came to the consensus that the wedding would be too far away from Stacy [...]

...is what has me curious. If you're saying "no" over and over, you can just say "no" again. If you're coming up with deflections that you think should be read as no, then a line like that makes sense.

EDIT: Make no mistake, op is still not the rear end in a top hat here. But I'm just curious if things were nearly as direct as she makes them out to be in the post.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

It might as well be for all intensive purposes.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Today's Ask Amy is wiiiild

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/ask-amy/ct-aud-ask-amy-1206-20211206-3k4kexev7jeufbzdixwtjnibau-story.html