Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

psycho with a gun
Sep 30, 2021

by Pragmatica

gotta give it to this thread
you're consistent in your genocide denial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Is this the same Tapper who masturbated to American weapons live on air when Trump bombed some shrubs in Syria?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

that was Brian Williams but Tapper is extremely Pro Troops

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Is he the guy who pretended his DoD organized guided helicopter tour got shot at?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

this is like those political cartoons from the 1890s of various European powers slicing up China like a pie except instead of monarchs it's random internet libertarians

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Is he the guy who pretended his DoD organized guided helicopter tour got shot at?

That's all of them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1467937469127708690?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why do they think this is an own chinas even allowing regular foreign spectators

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

not sure why the US is letting the Chinese conduct 4 ops even if they want to lower DEFCON

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Some Guy TT posted:

why do they think this is an own chinas even allowing regular foreign spectators

Just like the WTA canceling events in China when they weren't allowed in the first place.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

brugroffil posted:

pretty good breakdown of that terrible The Economist "model" estimating global covid deaths by country

https://twitter.com/drStuartGilmour/status/1457247184106053633

yeah lol exactly what I thought- we proved China is just as bad as America by building a model on American statistics and then plugging Chinese numbers into it

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1467742022840688641

US is literally just training and exporting jihadists.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Applying American excess mortality rates to China does not tell you how many people died from Covid in China but does give us a clearer picture of how many lives Xi Jinping has saved.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/MENA_Conflict/status/1467942503039094793?s=20

"west taiwan" is a new one to me lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lmao, they also joined the US quad.

Well how else are we gonna open up more 7/11s in New Jersey?

Serf posted:

"west taiwan" is a new one to me lol

Man this west taiwan poo poo is so cringe. Its the geopolitical equivalent of a whiteboi accidentally dropping the N word during karaoke.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think it's some reddit meme. Started about a year ago.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Applying American excess mortality rates to China does not tell you how many people died from Covid in China but does give us a clearer picture of how many lives Xi Jinping has saved.

So do we substract these from the victims of communism? No? Just keep adding? Ok then.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rover829/status/1467899564707438598

question the first why are commentators always so surprised that china has access to foreign shows when they spend the other half of their media discourse bitching about how the chinese film market doesnt give enough theatrical releases to enough lovely american movies

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rover829/status/1467933911229603844

question the second why would you follow up a comment claiming that no korean person would say chinese chess was invented in korea with a comment saying that actually the specific version of chinese chess under discussion is a korean variant

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I know some /pol/ 4channers that say that in a discord. Every time I get in an argument with them on the subject you can almost start seeing the gears start to spin before they mentally lock themselves up and dont bring up the subject anymore.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/12/06/nomura-says-the-worst-is-yet-to-come-for-chinas-property-market.html

Let no property investor/landlord come out unscathed

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 21:17 on Dec 6, 2021

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

brugroffil posted:

pretty good breakdown of that terrible The Economist "model" estimating global covid deaths by country

https://twitter.com/drStuartGilmour/status/1457247184106053633

get there rear end stuart

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

question the second why would you follow up a comment claiming that no korean person would say chinese chess was invented in korea with a comment saying that actually the specific version of chinese chess under discussion is a korean variant

Wait, china experts don't know that east asian culture is heavily inspired by China? And you can tell that a lot of Kdramas specifically market to china because they will have things like having an opening episode in Macau or some other fun part of China.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lady Militant posted:

the amount of people who think the tank ran over the guy shocks me lol

Can you imagine if the average American cop had the patience and civic-mindedness of that tank pilot

It's almost adorable how carefully those tanks tried to creep past that dude

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Whoever posted that video of Carl Zha suffering through an hour and a half of Noah Smith, I hate you.

God drat, that guy is one tedious rear end in a top hat. I dunno why would anyone pay attention to the dumb things he decides to post on the internet.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Wait, china experts don't know that east asian culture is heavily inspired by China? And you can tell that a lot of Kdramas specifically market to china because they will have things like having an opening episode in Macau or some other fun part of China.

i dont remember if ive mentioned it in this specific thread but its legit enraging how completely dismissive south korean entertainment media is of the east and southeast asian markets given that theyre responsible for basically all the growth in south korean entertainment media as an export industry

i can get why the american entertainment press does this because theyre dumb racist assholes but nobodys putting a gun to anyones head in south korea and demanding they give handjobs to netflix for singlehandedly saving south korean cultural production while telling china to gently caress off because some random stupid chinese brand is used as product placement in a drama with heavy chinese investment

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah its wild how much of the Korean Hallyu wave is based of SEA exports and now slowly but steadily in South Asia. Meanwhile Korean managers in India are cartoonishly racist. Regarding Netflix: Their evil black money gave us Kingdom so I can't be too miffed at them.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Rip the narrative https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/peng-shuai-global-tennis-body-wont-suspend-events-china-rcna7697

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lebron James should be jailed along with his family for being traitors

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lol that theyre just going to pretend like peng shuai herself didnt get mad at them about it when thats the only thing that could have possibly gotten them to back down

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know some /pol/ 4channers that say that in a discord. Every time I get in an argument with them on the subject you can almost start seeing the gears start to spin before they mentally lock themselves up and dont bring up the subject anymore.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/12/06/nomura-says-the-worst-is-yet-to-come-for-chinas-property-market.html

Let no property investor/landlord come out unscathed

I thought they bailed them out earlier this year :(

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is there a more useless publication than the economist

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Economist is really good for being a gauge of bourgeois opinion.
yeah exactly, and the opinion of the bourgeoisie is unironically a thing you should care about

as a counter-example and possible answer to Raskolnikov38's question, consider "Democratic Left"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I fell into a pro Ukrain twitter hole where someone is posting "no you're the nazis" recently and stumbled on this

Don't even know where to post it

https://twitter.com/CharlieFlanagan/status/1464224876781264899

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This seems like a good place to ask: is there anything I can read about the holodomor that isn't just insane propaganda?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That's really weird but I can sort of understand the logic, both countries had severe famines. If anything you'd think it would also endear them to china, which has suffered like four or five severe famines in the past 100 years or so

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/us-embassy-tokyo-warns-suspected-racial-profiling-by-japanese-police-2021-12-06/

I bet this is an eye opening experience to the white men experiencing something that blacks and hispanics go through daily in big cities.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The only thing I know about Holodomor are background and surrounding details of USSR.

Paradoxes of Power by Peter Kotkin spends some time on it. But generally speaking Holodomor wasn't anything more than a famine.

The early years of USSR were spent on turning an economy that was built around agricultural production into an industrial economy. The peasants weren't communists or bolsheviks, they were always in conflict with the government. The NEP (New Economic Policy) was supposed to just let the peasants do their own thing and the bolsheviks would collect a percentage of what they produced as tax, but that didn't work and what was collected was a lot lower than expected. That led to some heavy handed measures like forced collectivization, and dekulakaization.

So in the 30s there was a horrible famine in the middle of this conflict between the peasants and the communists government. The government continued to take agricultural produce as tax assuming that the peasants were just trying to withhold it because they were uncooperative. It wasn't until later that enough reports made it through that there was a famine and that there was just not enough food being produced for people to eat and to sell to the west. At which point the government reversed their course and attempted to provide relief for the famine.

It wasn't some planned genocide campaign by Stalin, but it probably was some mismanagement and circumstances making a bad famine even worse. I don't know if you can really hold anyone at fault for it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pretty much, it was a horrible famine, and you can point to government failures that didn't help, but there was no policy that could have prevented it. The famine hit during a major conflict that already reduced crops, you can argue that it was wrong to continue the taxation program during the beginning of it but in the context of a major clash between farmers already actively sabotaging their own crops to protest/damage the central authority measures it's pretty understandable why the initial reports of lack of production were chalked up to more of that.

There's valid things to critique, slowness of response, the staggered response to the initial conflict, etc, but the idea Stalin 'caused' it or it was a planned genocide is insane.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/us-embassy-tokyo-warns-suspected-racial-profiling-by-japanese-police-2021-12-06/

I bet this is an eye opening experience to the white men experiencing something that blacks and hispanics go through daily in big cities.

Is it though?

quote:

Naomi Kawahara, founder of advocacy group Japan for Black Lives, said racial profiling by Japanese police was nothing new, particularly for foreigners or mixed-race Japanese people of colour.

"I had a friend who was questioned by police more than 30 times in the six years that he lived here," she told Reuters of her African-American friend, who left Japan a few years ago.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
We should kill 100 Russians for every Ukrainian that died in the holodrome genocide on purpose famine.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

We should kill 100 Russians for every Ukrainian that died in the holodrome genocide on purpose famine.

we have censor.net writers in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

Whoever posted that video of Carl Zha suffering through an hour and a half of Noah Smith, I hate you.

God drat, that guy is one tedious rear end in a top hat. I dunno why would anyone pay attention to the dumb things he decides to post on the internet.

I tried listening to Carl's own podcast and he was not good at keeping on point or addressing certain points clearly; i can't imagine him being on with a hostile party being a good production, absent a great moderator.