Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Defenistrator posted:

I'm worries by the fact they aren't demoing AAA games

https://twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/1463553004544487428

https://twitter.com/Detroit_Game/status/1457666004868272133

They've also shown Doom Eternal and Control. Doom Eternal runs on a potato, but Control most definitely does not.

JuffoWup posted:

I'll be curious to hear how the aya neo and the other portables do when the OS is switched to steamos 3 from windows 10/11.

Luckily, the steam deck plays at 720p, which should allow it to even run cyberpunk at a good framerate thanks to that low resolution. Remember that many games run quite well at 1080p with a radeon 6000 series card. And you are asking a similar chip to run at an even lower resolution.

The Steam Deck's GPU is going to be significantly worse than even a 6600. The 15W power limit is going to be a very large limiting factor. That said, you're not wrong that 720p is easier to do. Valve said that it has run every AAA game they threw at it at 30fps, and I believe that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Steam Deck's GPU is going to be significantly worse than even a 6600. The 15W power limit is going to be a very large limiting factor. That said, you're not wrong that 720p is easier to do. Valve said that it has run every AAA game they threw at it at 30fps, and I believe that.

Yeah, I know it was going to be a cutdown gpu. That was a given to me just because there is no way to fit a full size rdna2 gpu inside a more normalish cpu package while also carrying a full size zen2 chip as well. However, how much of the chip is cut and how it affects it over the dedicated cards isn't fully known yet. So all I could say was that the dedicated cards (even the most budget cutdown variant) can still swing solidly with AAA titles as long as you limit your resolution to 1080p. With the deck going lower to 720p, I don't see any issues.

As you mentioned control, that is perhaps the only one I can see struggling. Only because that game's level of ray tracing can really put a card on its knees begging for mercy. And AMD doesn't have something like dlss to help it out (in searching on amd's website, control is not listed for fidelityfx).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

We actually do have a general idea of how powerful it will be. It has 8 RDNA2 compute units, which is 1/4th a 6600XT. Its boost clock only goes up to 1.6GHz, which is around 60% of the 6600XT's. AMD rates it at 1.6 FP32 TFLOPS, which is 15% of the 6600 XT's 2.6. This checks out, since 1/4 * 60% = 15%. Flops aren't everything, but they can be used to roughly estimate power differentials between different chips using the same architecture (though other factors like memory speed matter too). The entire SoC's power envelope is 15W, which is 9% the 6600XT's. This is lower than the 15% expected performance, but that shouldn't be surprising since efficiency goes up a lot at lower power levels. In any case, you are probably looking at somewhere around 15% the frame rate of what's possible with a 6600XT.

Whatever it is you're expecting, it sounds like it's more than what this device will be capable of. Ray tracing is entirely out of the question for every single game, not just control. You will have to turn a lot of settings down aside from ray tracing to be able to run AAA games at 30FPS at 720p. But that's still not that hard of a resolution and frame rate to target, so I expect the Steam Deck to mostly get there. You need only 25% or so of the raw processing power required to do 1080p60 in order to do 720p30. The 6600XT can do 1080p60 in its sleep, so I don't doubt it when Valve says that a GPU 15% as powerful can do 720p30 reliably well on modern AAA games with some toned down graphical settings. 60fps will be out of reach for most modern games, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 7, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Defenistrator posted:

I'm worries by the fact they aren't demoing AAA games

When the Intel drivers cooperate, the win3 can play AAA games at playable frame rates with everything turned down to low. It'll hold 50-60 fps in Warzone/Modern Warfare no problem. I'd have to assume the Steam Deck will be at least as good if not better than that.

Here's Halo on the 4800U Aya Neo at a real low TDP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMPV6bNWaMs

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Also depending on popularity I see deck specific optimization and settings being patched in.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
What happens if you try to play a game on Deck that doesnt have native controller support or Xinput or whatever, like the old GTA games, have they said if theyre baking in some sort of thing for that or will the Deck just wait for you to connect a kb/m?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Soul Glo posted:

What happens if you try to play a game on Deck that doesnt have native controller support or Xinput or whatever, like the old GTA games, have they said if theyre baking in some sort of thing for that or will the Deck just wait for you to connect a kb/m?

Steam has built in controller mapper. Check Settings > Controller > General controller settings. You can bind keystrokes and iirc even macros to gamepad buttons. It supports PS, Switch, XBOX, Steam and generic controllers. E: and you can rebind them via overlay too. Also they have support for community templates so you don't even have to map them all yourself.

That's been a feature for years

Vic fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 7, 2021

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Neat, it’s a rare problem to run into and the old GTA games are the only ones that even come to mind.

I haven’t tried to boot those games in years, gonna give them a shot with that feature since the Definitive versions suck.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fallout 3 also has that problem, thank Gabe for fixing it

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

Neat, it’s a rare problem to run into and the old GTA games are the only ones that even come to mind.

It's pretty common to not have controller support, actually. Think PC-focused genres and franchises, like RTS. Luckily, like Vic said, the KBM-via-Controller mapping support has been in Steam for years, so there's years of community mappings to leverage. I played AOE2 campaign on the Deck using some community-provided mapping, worked great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is why people are still holding onto their Steam controllers for dear life, they aren't perfect but the functionality they provide is incredible. And it's not just touch and gyro, you can do really granular stuff as well. I have sprint in GTA set to double tap and hold on the A button, which triggers autofire instead of having to mash the button, and I have one of the back bumpers set to taunt on hold (L3 + R3) and the other set to run on hold and roll on single tap, so I don't have to take my thumb off the stick while shooting; I could also add something to double tap if I wanted. If you have a game that uses hotbars then you can set an input that constrains the mouse to just that region of the screen for ease of use, or you can even create your own pop-up menu of any size and shape with any command you want.

If you have a PS4 or PS5 controller lying around then you can try it for yourself; they have both gyro and touchpad, technically two as the touch bar is registered as two squares rather than one long bar. Other controllers work too, but the PlayStation ones have the most functionality. And of course, all of this will be possible on the Deck as well.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I've been using my Steam Controller for presentations because it works embarassingly well as a remote mouse…

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is why people are still holding onto their Steam controllers for dear life, they aren't perfect but the functionality they provide is incredible. And it's not just touch and gyro, you can do really granular stuff as well. I have sprint in GTA set to double tap and hold on the A button, which triggers autofire instead of having to mash the button, and I have one of the back bumpers set to taunt on hold (L3 + R3) and the other set to run on hold and roll on single tap, so I don't have to take my thumb off the stick while shooting; I could also add something to double tap if I wanted. If you have a game that uses hotbars then you can set an input that constrains the mouse to just that region of the screen for ease of use, or you can even create your own pop-up menu of any size and shape with any command you want.

If you have a PS4 or PS5 controller lying around then you can try it for yourself; they have both gyro and touchpad, technically two as the touch bar is registered as two squares rather than one long bar. Other controllers work too, but the PlayStation ones have the most functionality. And of course, all of this will be possible on the Deck as well.

All of this. I bought a 2nd Steam Controller as a backup when they went on final sale. I only buy PS4 controllers generally, but did buy a Microsoft Elite 2 or whatever and was genuinely disappointed when I realized it didn't have a gyro in it.

The Deck's dual touchpads are a big part of its appeal to me, along with the Steam Controller software support that's built in.

I'm playing Baldur's Gate on PC right now and I know it will play just fine on the Deck with those touchpads enabling true mouse control. Bought the Switch version too and while there's a lot to be said about how they've managed to make it play well on a traditional controller using proximity-based contextual button prompts, the combat feels better with a mouse and I've gone back to PC.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Antigravitas posted:

I've been using my Steam Controller for presentations because it works embarassingly well as a remote mouse…

Don't forget that double-thumb keyboard input, that shits better than a touchscreen

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Antigravitas posted:

That's awesome.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

Hey if it works better than other things you can use that's not embarrassing, just smart.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve probably pointed this out before but god drat the steam cloud saving is amazing.

I started playing Elex on my Pc and it’s so seamless to be able to pick up my Aya Neo and pick up where I left off for my save.

Hell I have saves from FC3 from like 5 years ago that were there when I started again.

I remember the days of having to back up your saves because if your PC crashed they were long gone.

Now it’s not even a thing I think about.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I lost my steam controller in move and wish I still had it. The touchscreen joysticks were neat and it had the paddles before xbox or playstation had them. Not a perfect controller, it made too clicky noises, but some good ideas.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Nothing wrong with that. I mean, there is a guy that found a use for the nintendo power glove:

https://www.engadget.com/2015-01-18-robot-chicken-animator-uses-modded-power-glove-for-work.html

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve probably pointed this out before but god drat the steam cloud saving is amazing.

I started playing Elex on my Pc and it’s so seamless to be able to pick up my Aya Neo and pick up where I left off for my save.

Hell I have saves from FC3 from like 5 years ago that were there when I started again.

I remember the days of having to back up your saves because if your PC crashed they were long gone.

Now it’s not even a thing I think about.

Check PCGamingWiki to see which games support cloud saves. I’ve lost a lot of progress switching to different PCs before I realised it’s not supported in every Steam game.

It’s not universal in GOG Galaxy either, unfortunately.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Soo, valve showed off the 512gb model's special case. Big this is apparently a separate pullcord pouch for the power cable.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675180/view/3122680206608729958

Meanwhile, I'm starting to wonder how the existing portable(like the aya neo) experiences will change once steamos3 is released. Or do they not support changing out the os like the deck supports?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So in what ballpark in horsepower is this thing?

Is it more comparable to a Xbox One X or a Xbox Series S?

Or is it closer to a stock Playstation 4?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

punk rebel ecks posted:

this thing is basically a low end gaming pc, which at the price point and adding the portability into it, is an outstanding achievement. it's sub ps4 i would assume

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's two nintendo switches duct taped together

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The United States posted:

It's two nintendo switches duct taped together

eight gamecubes holy poo poo

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Soul Glo posted:

eight gamecubes holy poo poo

I’m seeing cubic here, a Nintendo 64 :stare:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I think analysis was that it's pretty comparable to an PS4 in terms of power, but it's doing 720p output to its little screen, so the horsepower is going twice as far as the consoles were at 1080p.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The actual architecture of the Deck is closer to current generation--think Xbox Series S--just with the actual number of cores proportionately reduced to target 720p.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think, as a PC running PC software, it's better to compare it against other PC hardware rather than consoles. You'll get a much better idea of performance that way. My post higher up this page compares its specs to a Radeon 6600XT (15% as powerful, approximately). It sounds weak, but valve has been open about targeting 30fps at 720p on new games. And older or less demanding games will still run at 60fps.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Still planning for the Deck to occupy my Switch time and not my actual PC time regardless of whether it can run new games or not

This thing is to play Loop Hero or whatever while your wife watches Bad Television Show #29 on the big tv

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Rather play Loop Hero on my actual Switch, which I can do today.

This is going to be my playing MP2/MP3 in Dolphin machine after the MP1 remake comes out. Also it's a race to see which of the Deck or the rumored MP1 remake comes out first.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Rather play Loop Hero on my actual Switch, which I can do today.

This is going to be my playing MP2/MP3 in Dolphin machine after the MP1 remake comes out. Also it's a race to see which of the Deck or the rumored MP1 remake comes out first.

i own it on steam tho!!!!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So are the initial December preorders going to start being fulfilled pretty soon? Did anyone who got one in the initial batch get anything emails about shipping?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

December preorders got delayed to February last month.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah everything is pushed back at least 2 months

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It's weird that we're a month away from the first batch and have yet to see any more news or advertisements for the Steam Deck.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

PowerBeard posted:

It's weird that we're a month away from the first batch and have yet to see any more news or advertisements for the Steam Deck.

It's advertised on Steam, why bother with more than that when they're as back ordered as they are?

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Valve never advertises anything outside of steam and press releases. Sometimes it sucks, signed: everyone who plays CS or DotA 2.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Also, they will sell as many as they can make for the next couple years.

Probably best to not advertise what people cannot possibly get. Especially in the days of a global tech shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

It's advertised on Steam, why bother with more than that when they're as back ordered as they are?

I was thinking more like updating that Steam Deck page, seeing as it has been more or less the same since the announcement.