Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Corsec posted:

Yeah, I'd expect governments to go full fash before they voluntarily accepted declines in fossil fuel use.

Jailed for 51 weeks for protesting? Britain is becoming a police state by stealth
https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1465930889817477123

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Biosphere Collapse: it is (again) the official thread stance that you should not kill yourself
well yea I think we agreed the best way is to get twitch to do it for you

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

technically it’s not suicide so technically my life insurance still has to pay out *taps head*

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Had an interesting discussion with my wife just now.

She's going to be teaching a class that involves barnacles, and she asks me how I'd like to be a barnacle, nothing but bristles, a shell, a digestive system and a reproductive system. I told her that this would rule, actually, and she totally agreed with me.

I married the right person.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chamale posted:

There'll probably be some real stupid butterfly effect that causes the collapse, like how a farmer masturbating with a beer bottle led to the first and only time an F-117 got shot down

Goon Project: [Delete Hillary's Emails] had some unfortunate consequences

And we can trace it back to Lowtax getting fired from Planet Quake

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

munce posted:

Jailed for 51 weeks for protesting? Britain is becoming a police state by stealth

It rules how the limeys read V for Vendetta and went "Yanno, this has some great ideas for how we develop our society'

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

blatman posted:

i dont think using a method where you have a bunch of time to reconsider your decision but no way to stop the process is really ideal

one could appreciate nature instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqIg5sKme5I

Evil_Greven has issued a correction as of 03:12 on Dec 7, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lmao

quote:

Honolulu
Navy Secretary Apologizes For Water Contamination But Will Keep Fuel At Red Hill For Now

Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro said on Monday that he was sorry that the Navy pumped petroleum-laced water into the homes of hundreds of military families, sickening many, but said there are no immediate plans to permanently shut down the Red Hill fuel facility that is the likely source of the contamination.

Navy officials also revealed on Monday that they temporarily suspended operations at the Red Hill fuel facility on Nov. 27 as residents in military housing began to voice concerns about a fuel smell in their water and various health problems, including rashes, sores and nausea.

But that suspension only means the fuel is not being pumped from the underground tanks at Red Hill to Pearl Harbor. Millions of gallons of fuel are still sitting in massive tanks made of corroding steel and aging concrete that sit 100 feel above a drinking water aquifer.

Navy officials acknowledged that there was evidence of a problem months ago, but they did not alert the public. Monitoring wells around the facility, which were installed for the purpose of early detection of fuel in the water, flagged possible contamination in June, July and August, Rear Admiral Blake Converse said.

“There were indications that there were total hydrocarbons in the groundwater monitoring wells in the vicinity of the Red Hill shaft,” Converse said, confirming reporting by the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.

Officials said they reported it to the Hawaii Department of Health, but neither the Navy nor DOH put out a public alert. Converse said the hydrocarbon levels ultimately decreased to “non-detectable levels.” He also said just because problems were present in the monitoring wells doesn’t necessarily mean contaminants were present in the drinking water being pumped from the Red Hill shaft.

Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Mike Gilday said it was up to DOH to decide what to do with the information.

“The Department of Health, in an oversight role, they need to take a look at this test results that we share with them as soon as possible, and then they really have the determining role on next steps,” he said.

In the days leading up to the flood of public complaints, though, Converse said the Navy did not know there was something wrong with the water.

Meanwhile, Hawaii’s political leadership is increasing scrutiny of the Navy’s operations.

Hawaii House Speaker Scott K. Saiki and 45 members of the Hawaii House of Representatives are calling on the Navy to decommission the current Red Hill Bulk Fuel Storage Facility and store its fuel in an alternate location.

In a letter to Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin and Del Toro, the legislators also asked for a detailed plan for the development of a water treatment facility to address current and/or future potential contamination mitigation.

On Monday afternoon, Senators Mazie Hirono and Brian Schatz and U.S. Reps. Ed Case and Kai Kahele put out a joint statement calling for a Department of Defense Inspector General evaluation of the Navy’s ability to safely operate Red Hill. That’s in addition to a previous request for a defense department IG investigation into whether the Navy misled regulators earlier this year about a leak into Pearl Harbor.

“We recognize the strategic importance of Red Hill to our national security,” the delegation said. “However, it is imperative that the public has confidence that Red Hill is and will be operated in a manner that safely protects the aquifer that supplies a majority of the potable water to Honolulu and the surrounding areas.”

At Monday’s press conference, Del Toro and other Navy officials answered questions from reporters, who were restricted to two questions each.

He said he hopes to rebuild trust with the community “one day at a time, one individual at a time, one situation at a time, by always doing the right thing.”

Despite calls from residents and longtime activists that the recent contamination warrants the permanent shutdown of Red Hill, Del Toro divulged no immediate plans to do so.

“All options are on the table, certainly,” he said. “We’re looking at some very serious options here in the very near future before I depart. I still need some more time to meet with additional groups, and different folks, and look at some additional facts.”

Even if Ige demanded the permanent shutdown of the facility, Del Toro said he would take that as a request, not an order.

Ige and Hawaii’s congressional delegation put out a statement on Sunday calling for the immediate suspension of the Navy’s Red Hill fuel facility – apparently unaware that the Navy had already done so a week prior.

Asked on the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’s Spotlight program about permanently shutting down the facility, the governor indicated he doesn’t believe he has the power to do so.

“In terms of the operations of the Red Hill facility itself, it is on federal property for the most part, and certainly, I think that the state is a regulator and we can order certain actions,” he said. “But clearly the Navy and the federal government can decide whether they want to heed those orders or not.”

But David Kimo Frankel, an attorney for the Sierra Club of Hawaii, said Ige does have the power to shut down Red Hill and that he should exercise that authority immediately.

“It is infuriating,” he said. “They’ve got to do something. They should be ordering the Navy to drain the tank and shut down operations.”

Congress gives states the authority to regulate underground storage tanks, and that includes the power to shut tanks down, Kimo Frankel said.

State law also grants the governor emergency powers when “imminent peril to human health and safety or the environment” is caused by a release from an underground storage tank or tank system, Kimo Frankel noted. Another state law states the director of the Hawaii Department of Health can issue orders to protect the environment and human health when hazardous substances have been released.

As of July 15, 2018, DOH required for the first time that the Navy obtain a permit to operate its Red Hill fuel facility. The permit has been held up in a contested case, and ultimately DOH Director Libby Char has the power to approve or reject the Navy’s application.

Kimo Frankel said he sent a memo to the Attorney General’s office on Sunday night outlining the state’s legal power to act.

“I don’t know if they don’t know the law, if they’re scared of the Navy or if the governor is getting bad legal advice,” Kimo Frankel said.

“But we know for the past couple of years the political leadership in this state and in the Department of Health have been overly deferential to the Navy. We see a shifting in attitudes, but not enough.”

Sorry we poisoned you and continue to poison you, but we're going to continue doing it and there's nothing you can do about it

Stereotype has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Dec 7, 2021

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/pkedrosky/status/1467956405474709504
It's December, and Colorado just had a dust storm more than 200 miles long, like something from the deserts of Sudan.

edit: looks like it was from 2020, but still

munce has issued a correction as of 07:26 on Dec 7, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
What? It's just a dust *storm*.

It's not like it's a dust *bowl*!

Yet.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

im_sorry posted:

Had an interesting discussion with my wife just now.

She's going to be teaching a class that involves barnacles, and she asks me how I'd like to be a barnacle, nothing but bristles, a shell, a digestive system and a reproductive system. I told her that this would rule, actually, and she totally agreed with me.

I married the right person.

You just want a dick that's 90% of your body. And your wife wants that too

Fetish discovered, start working on the barnacle costume

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/kiaraalynne/status/1467519851572961280?s=21

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
hehe haboob

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

High of 60 yesterday, high of 41 today. Neat!

Edit: a building under construction a couple towns over was blown over by winds last night. Lol. Lmao

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Dec 7, 2021

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

munce posted:

they're so loving mad about protestors blocking a highway they're effectively banning protest

lol. lmao.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

munce posted:

by stealth

:cawg:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/Raddsurfer/status/1467589288468512768

lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Huh.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna15158753

quote:

A 1959 nuclear reactor meltdown at a California laboratory may have caused hundreds of cases of cancer in the community, and chemicals threaten to contaminate ground and water, according to a new report.

The report by an independent advisory panel estimated it was likely that radiation released during the meltdown at the Santa Susana Field Laboratory caused about 260 cases of cancer within a 60-square-mile area around the reactor.

The lab’s former owner, Rocketdyne, has said for years that no significant radiation was released. But the independent advisory panel said the incident released nearly 459 times more radiation than a similar one at Pennsylvania’s Three Mile Island in 1979.
The Energy Department, Boeing and the state have been involved in efforts to decontaminate the site. The state has estimated that more than 1.73 million gallons of toxic trichloroethylene was dumped on the grounds and that 500,000 gallons have saturated the bedrock beneath the lab.

$30 million settlement

The panel concluded local soil and groundwater also may have been contaminated. The rocket fuel additive perchlorate has been found in a well, but Boeing has disputed assertions it came from the lab. Long-term exposure to high levels of perchlorate can cause thyroid problems.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why is the rocket fuel involved in a reactor meltdown? im :allears: for a good lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

hehe haboob

lol, there's actually several words related to hot storms or wind that are all pretty cool

haboob - a violent dust storm, especially in sudan along the southern edges of the sahara
calima - a dust storm that blows from the sahara into southern europe
zonda - a hot dry wind blowing over argentina from the andes
scirocco - a hot dry wind blowing from the mediterranean to northern africa
foehn - a hot dry wind that blows down the alpine valleys
chinook - a warm dry wind that goes down the eastern slopes of the rockies

:eng101:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

why the gently caress would the ruling class be against that? they'd be loving overjoyed. the more peasants there are the richer they become.

elon musk, snarling, demands that we suck and gently caress so there are more people for him to exploit and remain rich

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/07/elon-musk-civilization-will-crumble-if-we-dont-have-more-children.html

quote:

Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk wants people to have more babies.

“There are not enough people,” Musk told a Wall Street Journal event on Monday. “I can’t emphasize this enough, there are not enough people,” he said.

The tech billionaire said low and rapidly declining birth rates are “one of the biggest risks to civilization.”

His comments come as a growing number of people are deciding not to have children, citing concerns such as climate change and inequality.

Musk added that too many “good, smart people” think there are too many people in the world and that the population is growing out of control.

“It’s completely the opposite,” Musk said, urging people to look at the data. “If people don’t have more children, civilization is going to crumble. Mark my words.”

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

actionjackson posted:

lol, there's actually several words related to hot storms or wind that are all pretty cool

haboob - a violent dust storm, especially in sudan along the southern edges of the sahara
zonda - a hot dry wind blowing over argentina from the andes
scirocco - a hot dry wind blowing from the mediterranean to northern africa
foehn - a hot dry wind that blows down the alpine valleys
chinook - a warm dry wind that goes down the eastern slopes of the rockies

:eng101:

Yeah I knew all of those, I had to make Air Genasi NPCs :v:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

elon musk, snarling, demands that we suck and gently caress so there are more people for him to exploit and remain rich

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/07/elon-musk-civilization-will-crumble-if-we-dont-have-more-children.html

capitalism is absolutely a ponzi writ large and, if not for the fact climate catastrophe is going to ruin us first, plateauing birth rates would have absolutely brought about the end of capitalism

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

Eat poo poo, Musk! I'll continue *not* sucking and *not* loving and have fewer kids than you'll ever know what not to do with!!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Consider: to suck and gently caress in the gay fashion risks no child being born

This wisdom has gotten me far in life

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

6 seconds would probably feel a lot longer if you spent it falling from a building

It's always been my opinion that the best way to kill yourself is a disposable barbecue (after the flames have gone out) in a tent. Carbon monoxide is supposed to be like going to sleep.

I think the preferred method is helium. One can just go to the Party Store, purchase a dozen balloons marked "LOL" and empty them into a plastic bag and put that over one's head and be still. Not that I've given it any consideration.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

petit choux posted:

I think the preferred method is helium. One can just go to the Party Store, purchase a dozen balloons marked "LOL" and empty them into a plastic bag and put that over one's head and be still. Not that I've given it any consideration.

LOL!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

why is the rocket fuel involved in a reactor meltdown? im :allears: for a good lol

yeah i'm thinking blaming the meltdown for increased cancer rates is actually cover for oops! all hydrocarbons in the water supply

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm crack pinging a bunch of people about pfas rn and it feels amazing.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
eh, much like plastics, without consistent exposure to this thread, the crack ping will eventually leave your consciousness

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Laterite posted:

yeah i'm thinking blaming the meltdown for increased cancer rates is actually cover for oops! all hydrocarbons in the water supply

it’s certainly both. The defense nuclear industry was so bad they got raided by the fbi for burning radioactive waste at night outside of Denver lol

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This all owns

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Alobar posted:

so there was this farmer and he liked to masturbate by putting a bottle on a stick in his field and loving himself with it but he slipped one day and the bottle broke

initially he made up a lie, saying that he was attacked, but later was like "ah, i was masturbating, actually"

the reaction of the public and the media led to nationalism that led to the collapse of the country, leading to war

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%90or%C4%91e_Martinovi%C4%87_incident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_F-117A_shootdown

and i didn't know about this until today :eng101:

oh my god

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol elon musk watched idiocracy

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Xaris posted:

Spirituality is in many ways the antithesis of individuality if you prefer to think of it in those terms. that is, belief (and not necessary in the Abrahamic sense) of greater collective 'conscience' or purpose. that is you and your community is part of something together and lasting -- that you exist to bring benefit to the whole that transcends your own brief individual fleeting experience on this earth. Deep and truly felt; that is not just a weird quasi-vain academic-learned guilt-based acknowledgement of the moment where you're more acting out in sort of a self-aware ultimately individualistic-motivated mindset. americana brains are rotten to the core and almost devoid of it and just being religious doesn't mean spiritual: mormons and christians are largely devoid of spirituality having been raised from birth into a excess material consumptive individuality mindset. they are often as far from spiritual as can be.

a modern american example would be say John Brown. he was religious yes, but he was spiritual most of all. that he felt such a strong and deep belief that slavery was evil and harmful to his community, to his country, and to the basic blood that binds all humanity; and he was more than willing to give up everything even the lives of himself and his family to stop it. he knew he wasn't going to end it, he knew he was going to be condemned in the public eye, he knew he wasn't going to see the end of it or the fruit of his actions, but he considered that moot. spiritual doesnt have to be sacrificial, but ultimately it sort of does come down to deep belief in serving a purpose beyond the self.

there are also endless south american and african people cut of similar cloth who lived and acted out of deep spiritual connection to their homeland and the people within.

all this

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

so is the difference between spirituality and collectivism just aesthetics, or is there supposed to be more emphasis on expanding the in-group to stuff that's not human? it always kind of weirds me out when people adopt language that looks like it's implying the supernatural to describe what should be commonly understood stuff like "you don't live in an isolated bubble, stuff happening over there matters" and I'm curious what the impetus is

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Irony.or.Death posted:

so is the difference between spirituality and collectivism just aesthetics, or is there supposed to be more emphasis on expanding the in-group to stuff that's not human? it always kind of weirds me out when people adopt language that looks like it's implying the supernatural to describe what should be commonly understood stuff like "you don't live in an isolated bubble, stuff happening over there matters" and I'm curious what the impetus is

Spirituality is a system(s) for psycho-social personal development. You can't build a society on the foundation of spirituality.

Also, as I responded to Xaris, they've only given half the picture of spirituality - they are describing one of two spiritual modes, the second would be something akin to individualism.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Spirituality is a system(s) for psycho-social personal development. You can't build a society on the foundation of spirituality.

all this

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

actionjackson posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

cool, thanks for clarifying pmj/lastgirl