Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Biden administration is exploring options for a potential evacuation of US citizens from Ukraine if Russia were to invade the country and create a dire security situation, half a dozen sources tell CNN

Can we get a photoshopped Biden congratulating Putin on his liberation of Odessa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

hmm

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 7, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

lol, you don't think "started a world war that killed tens of millions while in pursuit of irredentist goals" is one of the primary things he's remembered for, alongside the Holocaust and, of course, being the man who killed Hitler?
Sure, after the other ones, but that's also not a quality applicable to Putin unless I missed WW3 or you seriously think Ukraine will spark a conflict that kills tens of millions.
Again, I'm not saying he's not a vile autocrat, but all the Hitler comparisons itt do is reveal a lot about the posters (in a region whose recollections and narratives re: WW2 history and their roles can often be uhhhh shall we say...tenuous).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 7, 2021

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
It's definitely true that the internal industrially-powered genocide was rather unique and characteristic of the Third Reich, but ruling out any comparison or direct metaphor between, say, Churchill and Hitler does a big disservice to how the vast crimes of both were motivated by racially-based worldviews with a shared common ancestor. You don't have to airwall Hitler off to maintain rhetorical power, quite the contrary in my opinion.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
its not like russia has a history of autocrats like putin, he must be compared to hitler

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vasukhani posted:

its not like russia has a history of autocrats like putin, he must be compared to hitler

Those autocrats? Also Hitlers

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Redirecting the thread back to reality....

(From Geopoliticalfutures:)

Russian battleplan anticipated by Ukraine:

quote:

Russia’s war plan is obviously secret, but the government of Ukraine has released its view of how a Russian invasion would be executed. It consists of three thrusts intended to isolate and occupy Kyiv: northward from the Crimean Peninsula, southward from Belarus and westward from Volgograd. Together, they would surround Kyiv and pass through a substantial part of Ukraine, giving them maximum opportunity for low-cost pacification.
Analysis:

quote:

There are three problems with the strategy. The first problem is logistical. These multi-division forces would be engaged in high-intensity maneuver and combat. All three would have to be supplied, and as they approached Kyiv they would take on a circular formation. Since it must be assumed that combat increases as movement declines, one phase would require massive amounts of "POL" – petroleum, oil and lubricants. The second phase would demand large amounts of munitions of all varieties. The possibility is high of uncoordinated pauses in advancing, leaving Russian flanks open.

The second issue is that it would create a complicated, multi-front war waged by untested troops. The Russians have not fought a multi-divisional battle like this since World War II. Their military is competent, but none of their commanders have commanded this type of battle. War games and maneuvers are valuable, but an untested force under fire for the first time needs a very sophisticated command structure. The Russians won’t know if they have one until they try it.

The third issue is the Americans, who will probably not attempt to block the advance with their own troops. Time is of the essence, but imposing friction on an enemy is valuable in itself. The U.S. is in a position to transport Polish forces, for example, to create that friction. (Assuming the Poles are willing.) But if it chose to send its own troops, it would force Russia into full-scale combat on a schedule it was not prepared for. The most important threat from the Americans, however, would be air and missile power. Their targets would be logistic nodes. In armored warfare, which seems to be the plan, the destruction of POL and munitions is the same as destroying tanks. The Russians would need to preempt this by taking out U.S. air and missile installations, very likely on a global scale. Doing this would escalate the war to world war status, and in that situation, the risk for Russia would skyrocket. (PLEASE NOTE that the US is very unlikely to resort to direct military force in this conflict.)

quote:

(...) Of course, the threat of invasion isn’t exclusive to this strategy. If Russia intends to occupy Ukraine, some variation will be necessary. But an invasion might simply entail taking a piece of Ukraine in the east or the north. The U.S., eager to avoid a war in the middle of Eurasia when the threat is trivial, will likely respond only with sanctions. Russia can stomach that as it threatens further penetration without taking it. This changes the political dynamic if Europe, incapable of mounting a defense, chooses to accommodate Russia.

quote:

(...) the entire threat might simply be an attempt to test Biden. During the Cold War, testing a new president was a Soviet routine. Doing so now could be seen as a low-risk, high-reward proposition.
Conclusion:

quote:

The Russians cannot afford a defeat in their bid to secure Ukraine in the present geopolitical reality. They have time to move – that is, unless Putin, who hungers to restore the former Soviet border, sees the hand of time moving and is prepared to take a risk for the sake of glory. Perhaps so, but KGB men are trained to be careful. My bet is this is a bluff. But I wouldn’t bet the house on it.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 7, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ah yes, reality, like the above analysis

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
On Russian 60 Minutes yesterday, an equally 'reality'-based Russian military analyst promised that Russia could also easily conquer Baltic states and even parts of Sweden, and even showed on map how this would go about.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

i say swears online posted:

Well what's your counter-analysis? (Other than Biden going for sanctions and nothing else because let your enemy trip over himself, duh)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i say swears online posted:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

"they've discussed options" is only the tiniest step up from a total nothingburger, we have plans in case of alien invasion or, worse, war with Canada

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Knock it off. Either address their post or ignore it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Grouchio posted:

Well what's your counter-analysis? (Other than Biden going for sanctions and nothing else because let your enemy trip over himself, duh)

We let the majority ethnic Russian Ukrainians of Eastern Ukraine decide what they want which seems to be join russia.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

LOL

Our options: lend lease Ukraine and spark ww3

Option 2: give up Europe

Wow we suuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUURRRRRREEEEE are gonna do option 1

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tweezer Reprise posted:

It's definitely true that the internal industrially-powered genocide was rather unique and characteristic of the Third Reich, but ruling out any comparison or direct metaphor between, say, Churchill and Hitler does a big disservice to how the vast crimes of both were motivated by racially-based worldviews with a shared common ancestor. You don't have to airwall Hitler off to maintain rhetorical power, quite the contrary in my opinion.
Oh for sure, I think there are fair moments to utilize the comparison...I just think that the Hitler-Putin stuff specifically seems kind of hysterical and...disrespectful of the real vastness (as you said) and horror of the crimes/threats compared.

Especially when, as mentioned, Russia has no shortage of racist autocrats in its history to compare him to.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I like how the big brained prediction is that Russia will attack from all available sides and try to take the capital.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hitler comparisons are just easy listening for Americans with the history channel on TV 24 hours a day because "at least they'll learn something" which is back to back Nazi docs, and coolparing Saddam Gaddafi or loving Noriega to hitler. Or do a Putin centered documentary with Hitler doc following.

So anyone we don't like is called Hitler because it soothes that imprint in your mind.

Not trying to get into succ4putin. Putins a gangster, not a failson shitlord like Hitler. So his version of power is vastly different and upbringing. He is a decisively vicious guy who rose out of the post Soviet era with all of his parts accounted for and a steady ladder climb. Not such a feat that weak men achieve.

That survival and movement was fueled by a criminal underground on the form of the tambov gang and it's associated and allied in the Petersburg area. These are mercilellysy brutal places to hang, and being a killer is basically a loving requirement. So that's really not Hitler poo poo, and the military movements of Hitler are fairly uh, unplanned? I mean the Nazis were using Czech trucks to invade France and still utilizing horses to carry poo poo well into 1942. Putins a little more of a methodical guy than that. He has goals in mind and will make plans to achieve those goals with decades of planning. I don't think anyone marks Hitler as a master tactician.

So what the gently caress is the comparison and why the hell is it made? Is it the big strongman speeches Putin does? Or is it because both Putin and Hitler (avid sportsman) both pose on horseback with 6 packs showing?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Same reason Saddam was Hitler.

Hitler was a madman who had to be stopped by any means necessary, if every other war you want to do is a new Hitler than anyone who suggests that risking a nuclear confrontation over some dirt farms somewhere is maybe possibly not a good cost-benefit can be immediately dismissed as a deranged a Hitler-loving fool.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Neville Chamberlain, prior to the Munich Agreement in 1938 posted:

Calm down, everyone, it's not like we're dealing with 1945 Hitler, here. The man who we meet with today, 1938 Hitler, is not that bellicose monster we all know and revile. To pretend otherwise is hysterical and... disrespectful of the real vastness and horror of the crimes/threats compared. Has 1938 Hitler run roughshod over Europe, conquering states with wild abandon? No. Has 1938 Hitler slaughtered 6 million Jews? Also no.

You just have to face up to the fact that these comparisons to 1945 Hitler are hyperbolic at best and insulting at worst. Now, let's hammer out a nice modus vivendi to which both 1938 Hitler and ourselves can agree to and we shall truly have peace in our time.
If the chief complaint is that Hitler committed the Holocaust and thus is a step too far in comparison, we could turn to a less sensational irredentist strongman like Mussolini, but he still doesn't quite capture the ratcheting up of claims month after month and the international community's failure in the face of it. The point of the rhetoric is to highlight an obvious example where an authoritarian leader's belligerence was taken insufficiently seriously, allowing the repeated small arsons Hitler committed with each territorial acquisition to ignite into an extraordinary conflagration. Much like Russia today, Germany fundamentally wasn't ready for the conflict it created, yet still turned all of Europe into a slaughter house before the piper caught up with them.

The takeaway is that NATO countries and their allies should be doing what it can to make Ukraine too big a pill to swallow and to make sure that they are prepared should the threat turn toward them.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cugel the Clever posted:

If the chief complaint is that Hitler committed the Holocaust and thus is a step too far in comparison, we could turn to a less sensational irredentist strongman like Mussolini, but he still doesn't quite capture the ratcheting up of claims month after month and the international community's failure in the face of it. The point of the rhetoric is to highlight an obvious example where an authoritarian leader's belligerence was taken insufficiently seriously, allowing the repeated small arsons Hitler committed with each territorial acquisition to ignite into an extraordinary conflagration. Much like Russia today, Germany fundamentally wasn't ready for the conflict it created, yet still turned all of Europe into a slaughter house before the piper caught up with them.

The takeaway is that NATO countries and their allies should be doing what it can to make Ukraine too big a pill to swallow and to make sure that they are prepared should the threat turn toward them.

JFK was a lot like Hitler, he invaded Cuba and then Vietnam.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

JFK was a lot like Hitler, he invaded Cuba and then Vietnam.

And I'm sure if Russia moved some defensive troops and missiles into Cuba to protect it from foreign aggression it would be a wise gesture toward world peace as the USA would react very reasonably

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

When commander Molotov swore fealty to Putin it was like the night of long knives but compressed into one long knife being sheathed.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I always assumed the comparisons to Hitler were a plea to Western Europe's appeasement while Hitler stepped over line after line drawn in the sand, refusing to act until his blade was at the throat of the then "greatest" continental power. Germany would have been easier to stop in 39 or even earlier when they first started violating the accepted order. Fortunately mistrust between the great European autocrats and throws by first Japan then Italy sealed his fate.

People arguing the danger of letting people violate the post-World-Wars norm of "don't invade other countries and keep territorial claims" are going to jump to the most egregious historical example that supports their point.

It's not the most precise fit, but Hitler is the strongest argument one can make against concessions ever. After Pyrrhus lost by winning, we called victories that doom the victor pyrrhic. A couple of hundred years and we may call the blunder of causing catastrophe by hiding from it either a Hitlerian or Chamberlaic fault.

If you're looking through any other lens--motive, capability, methods (other than patience and many small cuts)--the metaphor quickly disintigrates.

piL fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 8, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I will admit I keep thinking of Biden as Neville chamberlain. Is that in itself a Hitler comparison?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I will admit I keep thinking of Biden as Neville chamberlain. Is that in itself a Hitler comparison?

I'd say similar but it depends on what comparison you want to make. I think most readers will assume you mean Chamberlain the appeaser and not Chamberlain the opponent of Poor Law boards, Chamberlain the Health Minister, Chamberlain the failed negotiator for cancelation of war debt, Chamberlain the architect of the Unemployment Assistance Board, Chamberlain the nationaliser of coal, or Chamberlain the proponent for better working conditions. I hadn't heard any of that other stuff until just skimming his wikipedia article.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

piL posted:

I'd say similar but it depends on what comparison you want to make. I think most readers will assume you mean Chamberlain the appeaser and not Chamberlain the opponent of Poor Law boards, Chamberlain the Health Minister, Chamberlain the failed negotiator for cancelation of war debt, Chamberlain the architect of the Unemployment Assistance Board, Chamberlain the nationaliser of coal, or Chamberlain the proponent for better working conditions. I hadn't heard any of that other stuff until just skimming his wikipedia article.

Wow I thought you were talking about histories many chamberlains. I didn't know about any of this other stuff either.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

piL posted:

I always assumed the comparisons to Hitler were a plea to Western Europe's appeasement while Hitler stepped over line after line drawn in the sand, refusing to act until his blade was at the throat of the then "greatest" continental power. Germany would have been easier to stop in 39 or even earlier when they first started violating the accepted order. Fortunately mistrust between the great European autocrats and throws by first Japan then Italy sealed his fate.

People arguing the danger of letting people violate the post-World-Wars norm of "don't invade other countries and keep territorial claims" are going to jump to the most egregious historical example that supports their point.

It's not the most precise fit, but Hitler is the strongest argument one can make against concessions ever. After Pyrrhus lost by winning, we called victories that doom the victor pyrrhic. A couple of hundred years and we may call the blunder of causing catastrophe by hiding from it either a Hitlerian or Chamberlaic fault.

If you're looking through any other lens--motive, capability, methods (other than patience and many small cuts)--the metaphor quickly disintigrates.

It's more of a "guy I don't like" thing

If it were just about invading countries then every US president is Hitler and nobody would be saying "hey you know what would make things better, some more Hilter"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Biden is Stalin.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

VitalSigns posted:

It's more of a "guy I don't like" thing

If it were just about invading countries then every US president is Hitler and nobody would be saying "hey you know what would make things better, some more Hilter"

US adventures are more similar to most of the rest of the world's post WW2 adventures, including the Soviet Union, which have tended to be "invade country, make changes, leave country." Occupying territory and annexing it has a particularly pre-1945 feel to it, distinct even from Russian action in Georgia. It feels unique (so far) in the 21st century.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

God were going to get into a loving WW2 debate. anyway some new news

The Biden admin is watching for the possibility that "Russia could actually use Belarusian territory to march on Ukraine and/or mask its forces as Belarusian forces," @UnderSecStateP tells SFRC

In the event Russia further invades Ukraine, US will be "looking to respond positively" to requests from Baltic allies, Romania, Poland, for "additional capabilities & potentially additional deployments"

The head of the Crimean branch of Aeroflot committed suicide in Simferopol

We observe the exclusion of Ukraine and other Central and Eastern European countries from the US-Russia talks. It's just a mistake - says the deputy head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs @paweljabIonski in an interview with @wirtualnapolska

(When us allies are excluded from talks it always goes well for them)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
god i love our media

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1468385883774726151

is there/is there going to be a full readout of the call or are we only getting the press briefing talking points

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

god i love our media

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1468385883774726151

is there/is there going to be a full readout of the call or are we only getting the press briefing talking points

The official readout was published about 12 hours ago, but it’s not particularly informative.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1468282911434678278

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Wouldn't like, now be a great time for the US to start flooding arms into Ukraine?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Weird how the open American nazi is supporting Russia, and not the American puppet nazi Ukraine with nazi pride parades and the nazi jewish president

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Charliegrs posted:

Wouldn't like, now be a great time for the US to start flooding arms into Ukraine?

This does remind me that a if Russia invades the rest of Ukraine and the US takes action, it will probably be more in the form of the Soviet-Afghan War than a direct confrontation. I know it's probably a poor analogy given all the differences in the situations, but then again Andrew Jackson has made an appearance in the last page or two.

I wonder what the Stinger missile would be this time around.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Smeef posted:

I wonder what the Stinger missile would be this time around.

US already supplies Javelins, but rather openly this time

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CommieGIR posted:

Knock it off. Either address their post or ignore it.

imo actual eastern european posters completely rolling their eyes at some drivel grouchio posted is considerably more thread-relevant than exhaustively taking apart some 'al-qaeda's putin's cave bases' tier-poo poo from george loving friedman who very clearly knows less than gently caress all about the region

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Polish troops fighting in Ukraine? Is this even remotely plausible? I can't even imagine a modern western military would voluntarily stick its dick into the hornet nest that is fighting without air superiority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Polish troops fighting in Ukraine? Is this even remotely plausible? I can't even imagine a modern western military would voluntarily stick its dick into the hornet nest that is fighting without air superiority

No, it’s complete lunacy even if Polish airforce wasn’t the best at killing Polish presidents.