Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
What’s the source on the printer story anyway? Did he post some nice guy angst story in E/N?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep thinking about this whole Bust Rodd thing. I know these forums can be toxic sometimes and there are some real crazies here and it can kinda be like high school and im scared i'm inviting a dog pile on me for saying this but im not sure adding negativity to negativity is going to help anything, and I guess I needed to voice that. I am not saying Bust is undeserving of judgement: he tried his bs with me while i was in the middle of going through terrible abuse from my ex. I was seriously traumatized, and he dipped when he realized all I wanted from him was a friend, and he kicked me when I was down and things weren't going well for me here. I am not a fan of his, but i lean more toward forgiveness and desire for redemption arcs from assholes. maybe thats what makes me a sucker and i should be angry at assholes but I just can't and im worried when he sees all this its going to hurt him and just make things worse so i guess im saying i hope he figures his poo poo out and continues to grow and learn as a person. maybe I am just idealistic and i should learn to just be angry at assholes, idk.

Cosmic Thing has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Dec 7, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's OK if not being angry at someone gives you peace. That's really commendable. It's also Ok for the people around you to be angry at that person for what they did, and hearing that he dipped out on someone who needed a friend is despicably monstrous.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

fun hater posted:

this is so good lol

Edit: already discussed in thread.

Smiling Knight has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Dec 7, 2021

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boba Pearl posted:

It's OK if not being angry at someone gives you peace. That's really commendable. It's also Ok for the people around you to be angry at that person for what they did, and hearing that he dipped out on someone who needed a friend is despicably monstrous.

Actually thanks. That is a perspective I needed to hear. Also, thanks for the validation and support. Much appreciated.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Nuns with Guns posted:

What’s the source on the printer story anyway? Did he post some nice guy angst story in E/N?

this is the post

quote:

A loose female acquaintance of mine calls me at 1:00am today and asks me if I could print something on the computer for her and bring it over in the afternoon. "Hey yeah sure sure, whatever you need I'll help you, I'm all yours," I tell her. She sends me this file and lo and behold I can't open it. It's made in Microsoft Publisher and I don't have that program so I begin panicing, trying to find this program or a way to print the file. Scouring the internet yields no results and I do my usual pacing in my room.

I finally come up with an idea and I tell the girl, if I can proceed with it. The plan was I would carry my printer about 2miles to her house, print out the needed pages, maybe talk to her a bit while I was there. I was hoping for at least a hug out of this ordeal.

By the time I get there, I'm wet all over from sweating in the +90 degree heat outside and carrying a heavy motherfucking HP Deskjet printer. The first thing I see upon entering her room (my first time in a girl's bedroom) are some panties on her bed.

After the initial shock of seeing such a horrific sight for the first time, I setup the printer and get my job done. However, I did consider sniffing the lingere when she left the room once, but with the wuss that I am, I just ended up staring at them the whole while. That was a sarcastic joke for those of you too stupid to realize that

To make a long story short, just as I was finishing up with the printing job (which was hefty), her boyfriend and his gay friend walk in, say hello, and begin hanging out in the room as they waited for the girl to finish this work so they could go to the mall.

This effectively ruins my chances of getting a hug and I walk another 2 miles home with the motherfucking printer in hand. The only thing that I got out of this were some very painful fingers and a "thanks" as I walked out her bedroom door.

So, am I pathetic for doing all these things? It wouldn't be the first time I've pledged my heart and soul to a girl and gotten back almost nothing in return. I would hate turning her or anyone else I knew down or making up some lie.

I could not find the original post right now, I thought it was goldmined but I couldn't find it in the goldmine. And enough people just copypasted the text over the years that I don't think I get enough search results to go back to the og anymore. Someone probably has it saved somewhere probably and will post it within seconds of me posting this. It was probably in E/N as you suspect, though, but gently caress if I know.

E: to be clear, I'm doing this to summon someone who has the actual link to the thread, it works every time.

IGgy IGsen has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Dec 7, 2021

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Cosmic Thing posted:

I know these forums can be toxic sometimes and there are some real crazies here and it can kinda be like high school and im scared i'm inviting a dog pile on me for saying this but im not sure adding negativity to negativity is going to help anything,

i do not know of anyone that would attack you for this, but if they do, i will defend you. bust rodd sucks rear end and deserves to get owned every day forever but obsessing over how bad you think someone is instead of clowning on them for making terrible posts is not the way of the true poster

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Cosmic thing you do not owe anybody validation on how you feel so long as it hurts nobody and helps with your own health and I commend you for that. That said gently caress that dude and I shall draw an inconvenience curse to make him suck worse at super mario

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Oh... is that why I always get hit with everything at once in Mario Kart? Did someone curse me?
I thought that's just how the game works.

E: Anyway, Cosmic Thing, if anyone shits on you for trying to not succumb to negativity and keep your smile and optimism point them out and I'll lightly own them.

Meanwhile, I'll still mock assholes for being assholes. I have long lost the patience for these types. Most mellow with age, I get angrier.

IGgy IGsen has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Dec 7, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cosmic Thing posted:

I keep thinking about this whole Bust Rodd thing. I know these forums can be toxic sometimes and there are some real crazies here and it can kinda be like high school and im scared i'm inviting a dog pile on me for saying this but im not sure adding negativity to negativity is going to help anything, and I guess I needed to voice that. I am not saying Bust is undeserving of judgement: he tried his bs with me while i was in the middle of going through terrible abuse from my ex. I was seriously traumatized, and he dipped when he realized all I wanted from him was a friend, and he kicked me when I was down and things weren't going well for me here. I am not a fan of his, but i lean more toward forgiveness and desire for redemption arcs from assholes. maybe thats what makes me a sucker and i should be angry at assholes but I just can't and im worried when he sees all this its going to hurt him and just make things worse so i guess im saying i hope he figures his poo poo out and continues to grow and learn as a person. maybe I am just idealistic and i should learn to just be angry at assholes, idk.

I can see where you're coming from and for the most part I don't really like it going further than people posting 'bust rodd' in reply to him saying something stupid but sometimes it can be cathartic to voice, as a group, just how loving odd some people are because sometimes I think it can feel like it's just you thinking this, like maybe everyone likes bust rodd and then it turns out everyone thinks he's ridiculous and everyone laughs. Like, I don't wish him any harm. I will never meet him nor do I know anything about his life other than what he offers, assuming any of it is true. So i don't feel that bad that every time he goes on a bust rodd rant someone will be there to say 'lol shut up bust rodd'.

Now if he was posting normal and people still gave him grief? That's when it becomes unfunny bullying and that would suck. However, I don't think he's going to stop being bust rodd any time soon.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

IGgy IGsen posted:

Oh... is that why I always get hit with everything at once in Mario Kart? Did someone curse me?
I thought that's just how the game works.

That's the game playing as intended

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Now if he was posting normal and people still gave him grief? That's when it becomes unfunny bullying and that would suck. However, I don't think he's going to stop being bust rodd any time soon.

There is as far as I know exactly one thread on the forums where he posts like a normal person and it would indeed be weird as gently caress if a bunch of people started dunking on him there for his creepy posts in other threads. But when he does do the creepy poo poo he's totally fair game as far as anyone should be concerned imo.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Cosmic Thing posted:

Nah you're totally right, good to have a sanity reminder every once in a while too. It's fair and fun to dunk on people, but not if it gets obsessive or alienates the exact people we're upset about them being lovely to.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

pog boyfriend posted:

i do not know of anyone that would attack you for this, but if they do, i will defend you. bust rodd sucks rear end and deserves to get owned every day forever but obsessing over how bad you think someone is instead of clowning on them for making terrible posts is not the way of the true poster

this

to add, one needn't do anything other than say 'bust rodd' to any of his self-evidently terrible posts

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

IGgy IGsen posted:

this is the post

I could not find the original post right now, I thought it was goldmined but I couldn't find it in the goldmine. And enough people just copypasted the text over the years that I don't think I get enough search results to go back to the og anymore. Someone probably has it saved somewhere probably and will post it within seconds of me posting this. It was probably in E/N as you suspect, though, but gently caress if I know.

E: to be clear, I'm doing this to summon someone who has the actual link to the thread, it works every time.

"That was a sarcastic joke for those of you too stupid to realize" gets me every time

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really appreciate all of your replies. We all saw my terrible melt down with my main account back when the abuse i was going through finally broke me, and I really have been working hard to heal, and it feels so loving good to be welcomed back here and to experience so much kindness and support from everyone after everything that happened.

Cosmic Thing has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Dec 7, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have definitely seen a fair amount of instances out on these forums where a poster's reputation precedes them such (or even just that it's an ingroup/outgroup thing) that even when they make completely innocuous posts there are folks that flail about trying to "dunk" them for it and/or get in a tizzy over them.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I think an important thing to point out is that we sort of expect people to be rational players in our day to day interactions - or maybe it's just me maybe you're all crazy ha ha ha - which means we may misinterpret messages as being grounded and well thought-out, when in reality they are the opposite.
Especially the written medium can lead to these issues since we lose all the additional information that tone of voice and body language conveys, and messages that easily can have been written off as "oh that guy was having a bad day" quickly becomes "I must really suck at this". Personally I also find this is excacerbated when I'm stressed out and not in contact with my feelings, which then means it's time to put the forums on pause for a bit and focuse on my own issues.
So if a post or poster is getting to you try to take a moment to read into if the other guy or gal is having issues of their own that can explain they they're coming off as a complete bell-end. You can call them an rear end in a top hat too if you like.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Srice posted:

I have definitely seen a fair amount of instances out on these forums where a poster's reputation precedes them such (or even just that it's an ingroup/outgroup thing) that even when they make completely innocuous posts there are folks that flail about trying to "dunk" them for it and/or get in a tizzy over them.

It becomes "cool" to dunk on certain posters sometimes, and tbh it has probably happened to bust rodd already, but he's so consistent about being terrible that we will never know

Honestly, discovering the whole rape jokes thing makes me feel like he needs to be perma'd

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You don't have to be crazy to be here, but it helps.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm legitimately p batshit, so

No loving wonder ive been here a decade and have a ppd of over 5

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A lot of times there's a floodgate effect where a lot of people have, y'know, thoughts about a particular poster or topic and they don't feel comfortable voicing them until a couple of other people do.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Heath posted:

A lot of times there's a floodgate effect where a lot of people have, y'know, thoughts about a particular poster or topic and they don't feel comfortable voicing them until a couple of other people do.

Thats the step before it becoming cool. Usually provides the ammo

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

IGgy IGsen posted:

Today we'd know how to pay our proper respects to the famous printer carrying guy.

"Carrying printers 4 Jesus"

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Post Your Favorite: I'm existing just for listing!!!PYF SA Sagas and Stories: all Bust Rodd-All the Time!!!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Please no

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

lets talk about the pathologic 2 saga, or its closely related and developing saga, the omori saga

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
where there was only set of footsteps, that's where I was carrying the printer

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Does anyone have the chill axe gif?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Omori is a really good saga.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I tried to like Omori but it's so drawn out I just found myself wanting every section to end so I could get to the interesting parts again but it just keeps going

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
"Carrying the printer for" is the advanced form of "carry a torch for" where the other person was never interested.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

omoris pretty good, i still gotta do the hikkikomori route. really enjoyed walking around the town and talking to the dumb babies. speaking of walking around a town and speaking to dumb babies, have you heard of pathologic 2? or as i call it "Facts & Logic 2"

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Shiroc posted:

"Carrying the printer for" is the advanced form of "carry a torch for" where the other person was never interested.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

someone should post some zergling minor stories. he was one of the best, imo

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

i often think about him working at a hotel and getting abusive phonecalls from a puny mortal, who then arrived and was in sheer terror of this giant he had awoken

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

IGgy IGsen posted:

this is the post

Thank you! The whole panty part of that story sounds weirdly fake.... but I don't know why you'd make that up just for a "sarcastic joke" about wanting to sniff them. I mean the whole story is absurd but at the same time so pathetic it's hard to imagine anyone would want to fabricate it.

RFC2324 posted:

There's a SAclopedia page for him that has the thread where he startled the rude hotel patron so bad the guy poo poo himself. I know he also did an Ask/Tell thread about being an orderly at a mental institution for underage kids, too, but I don't know the links for that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

There was a thread for remembering Zergling Minor a couple years back.

(Maybe don't read on in the thread, unless you wanna read about the pedophile+necrophile who gets brought up later on)

It starts off with these three nuggets which were written by a friend of Ian and posted by another friend of his:

quote:

Fun fact: That movie that was made about the time he loomed over a rude guy at the hotel? It was under-exaggerated. First off, they didn't get Ian's voice anywhere near deep enough. Second off, the doorway is down a half flight of stairs from the reception desk. The guy had not only pissed himself, but had stumbled on the way down or just straight up gone too fast and had rammed into the wall hard enough to transfer a slacks-shaped piss stain before stumbling out into the night and skidding off. I lived in the same town, about three minutes away from ZM's place, and he told me about an hour after everything happened.

I visited him the next morning while they had the entrance partially blocked off and had a couple of the cleaning staff attacking the wall with whatever the hell they use to clean piss off paint. Good times.

quote:

Story #2: Ian was a huge dude. That Aquafina machine picture? I took that. Granted, I was kneeling at the time, and the girl he was looming over is something like 4'10", but that doesn't detract from the fact that he was 7'4". Before he'd lost his leg to a workplace accident, his dad had been 7'9". His mom was the shortest one in the family, and was still just a hair under 6' herself.

The point I'm making here is that he lived on a mountain. Literally on the side of a ski mountain, and when we worked there my first winter living in Pa, we'd just walk about a hundred feet through the woods behind the snowboarding run to get to his house. This isn't relevant at all to the story, all I needed to say was "He lived on a really steep hill", but I think the fact that he was a literal mountain giant from a family of mountain giants is just kind of awesome.

quote:

Ian drove a 1983 Ford Bronco with some kind of Chevy transmission and a gear shift lever sloppy enough to qualify for its own episode of Hoarders. There was so much play in the lever that he never locked the vehicle because he was about the only one who knew it intimately enough to actually be able to get it into gear.

Well, the catalytic converter had long since blown itself out all over the highway, at that time it had been something like three or four years prior. The winter before I moved out there, he had done some work and had accidentally left the connector on the ignition coil loose. On his way down the mountain to head to work (because why hike through knee-deep snow when you can drive paved roads and not have to trek all the way down to the office to punch in then trek all the way back up?), the connector worked its way loose. For the entire way down the hill, there was no spark, but the engine was still in gear, and the carburetor was still sucking fuel through the engine and dumping it out the exhaust pipe, leaving a trail most of the way back to his driveway.

Upon reaching the bottom of the hill, the force of stopping the vehicle is apparently enough to wiggle the connector back into contact, and the engine regains ignition.

As you'd imagine, having what is essentially a long fuse made entirely of gasoline leading from your exhaust manifold to your driveway at the top of a four hundred foot hill leads to some interesting fireworks.

Well, having discovered this quirk of a vehicle that uses a mechanical fuel pump and a carburetor, he did some experimenting and soon discovered that by just turning the key off and flooring the gas for a few seconds without the engine firing, he could pool a decent glob of gasoline down into the exhaust pipes. And that upon reengaging the key, the resulting fireball would launch several feet out of the tailpipe, and equally as impressive, would make a loud report almost like a rifle shot.

As you can imagine, several tailgating idiots learned a valuable lesson in following distance. I like to imagine that some of them also learned the value of Scotch-gard. And, of course, being ZerglingMinor, he'd also occasionally drive us out to one of the local outdoor malls when there were lots of obnoxious teenagers about and we'd giggle like schoolgirls as he'd casually set off loud, fiery BOOMS about thirty feet away from them.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Dec 7, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I think an important thing to point out is that we sort of expect people to be rational players in our day to day interactions - or maybe it's just me maybe you're all crazy ha ha ha - which means we may misinterpret messages as being grounded and well thought-out, when in reality they are the opposite.
Especially the written medium can lead to these issues since we lose all the additional information that tone of voice and body language conveys, and messages that easily can have been written off as "oh that guy was having a bad day" quickly becomes "I must really suck at this". Personally I also find this is excacerbated when I'm stressed out and not in contact with my feelings, which then means it's time to put the forums on pause for a bit and focuse on my own issues.
So if a post or poster is getting to you try to take a moment to read into if the other guy or gal is having issues of their own that can explain they they're coming off as a complete bell-end. You can call them an rear end in a top hat too if you like.
Wow, more like Insightful Sex-Parrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

IGgy IGsen posted:

Why am I such a complete, submissive gently caress?
Edit[Cw: Very 2004 GBS]

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Dec 7, 2021