Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
You should put in waiver claims and try to win regardless, but you should absolutely be trying to do it when there is a weekly high score prize. You have every right to try to win that every single week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Why the hell wouldn’t you make waiver claims? Do you think giving other teams free wins is somehow the right thing to do?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah, I really don't understand the thinking there...it's not like putting waiver claims in requires any effort whatsoever. Continue to play the game as if you give a drat, and don't do anything via action or inaction that makes it easier for someone else to make the championship.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I tried to tell you.

My team is almost legit with Kupp now.

I'm still 50/50 on whether or not it would have worked out as there were a ton of moving parts. My RB situation outside of jones was Sanders and Gaskin and I didn't see Hurts becoming a top-3 fantasy QB at the beginning of the season. TE was ugly early too since I didn't have Hock or Schultz at the beginning. Didn't see Pittman and Mooney (and Renfrow!) making the leaps they did in 2021 either but if that continues and my picks pan out I should be set depth-wise for a while.

I don't think I would have been nearly as aggressive on the WW either if I hadn't made the decision to play for assets this year. D'ernest Johnson and Khalil Herbert probably kept me in a couple of games I otherwise had no business being in. On the one hand, that devalued my picks. On the other hand, if either of them gets a more prominent role, either with their current teams or elsewhere, that's going to be great.

And yeah always do whatever you can to win even if its hopeless. If for no other reason than it sucks and is boring being in leagues with people who don't give a poo poo.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Need to win and keep a 20 point lead on the guy behind me to juuuuuust sneak into the playoffs.

I picked a hell of a time to have to choose between Zeke and Pollard.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I have scored under 120 two times this entire year and I am out of the playoffs in 7th place at best. im done crying ITT cause it's over but good loving God.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah, I really don't understand the thinking there...it's not like putting waiver claims in requires any effort whatsoever. Continue to play the game as if you give a drat, and don't do anything via action or inaction that makes it easier for someone else to make the championship.

I think it's a bit of a dick move to outbid someone on players I don't actually need since I'm already out of the playoffs.

e: that said, I'm not making any wild overbids on anyone. And I do have claims put in for defenses this week.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dango Bango posted:

I think it's a bit of a dick move to outbid someone on players I don't actually need since I'm already out of the playoffs.

e: that said, I'm not making any wild overbids on anyone. And I do have claims put in for defenses this week.

Yeah this is where I stand. I will try to beat someone, but I don't think you should gently caress with someone else's money. I think waiting until waivers clear is a solid compromise. I'll still try my best to win, but let the guys in the running get first say.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
If there aren't league rules locking eliminated teams out of making waiver claims, then make waiver claims. C'mon, now.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Sataere posted:

Yeah this is where I stand. I will try to beat someone, but I don't think you should gently caress with someone else's money. I think waiting until waivers clear is a solid compromise. I'll still try my best to win, but let the guys in the running get first say.

This is dumb and I couldn't disagree more.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
You paid your entry fee, you aren't loving with someone's money, you're playing your entire fantasy football season that you paid to play.

Why would you do add/drops but not waiver claims? The playoff teams are still trying to be strategic, they might be hoping someone goes unclaimed so they can save their waiver bucks for finals week if there's a big irl injury. You adding (or dropping) anyone is loving with their money as much as making claims is (and loving with everyone else's money since you're not trying to win as much as you were earlier in the year lol).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Or more succinctly,

Gobias Ind. posted:

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Listen, if you’re out of playoff contention and you aren’t dumping the remaining 90% of your FAAB on the only serviceable waiver TE because you know that Joey has a must-win week but Waller is hurt and Taylor is on bye and you want to try to keep him from the playoffs because he grifted a couple other owners out of Zeke and Henry early in the year in lovely one-sided trades but now it’s backfiring on him for the sweet schadenfreude of it all then I don’t even know why you’re playing this magical game of fate and cruelty.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sataere posted:

If you aren't putting your best lineup in every week then you're loving with somebody since you're making it easier for your opponent to get a win

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Gobias Ind. posted:

You aren't wrong.

Poque posted:

If you aren't putting your best lineup in every week then you're loving with somebody since you're making it easier for your opponent to get a win

If I was able to put my best lineup in, I'd still be in contention.

I agree with all your points in theory, but let's be real. First, the odds of anything worthwhile coming from the waiver wire in week 14 are negligible. Second, I think putting in waiver claims after you are eliminated do more to gently caress with the competitive balance of the league than anything. Unless there are weekly payouts, all eliminated players with waiver claims does is add chaos to the league. Let the good teams battle it out.

I'm sure we've all been on the side of having some last place guy claim a player when you suddenly have an injury and it is pretty infuriating to have a championship run hosed up because some rear end in a top hat who already lost is loving your poo poo up out of spite. Put your best lineup forward. Grab guys who clear waivers. But putting in claims is silly to me. I think that hurts leagues more and creates needless drama.

It should be noted that almost every league I'm in locks you out of waiver claims once you are eliminated for this reason.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Sataere posted:

If I was able to put my best lineup in, I'd still be in contention.

Come on. This very clearly means that you should be trying to but together the best lineup you can every week. That's true whether you're 10-1 or 1-10.

Sataere posted:

I agree with all your points in theory, but let's be real. First, the odds of anything worthwhile coming from the waiver wire in week 14 are negligible. Second, I think putting in waiver claims after you are eliminated do more to gently caress with the competitive balance of the league than anything. Unless there are weekly payouts, all eliminated players with waiver claims does is add chaos to the league. Let the good teams battle it out.

I'm sure we've all been on the side of having some last place guy claim a player when you suddenly have an injury and it is pretty infuriating to have a championship run hosed up because some rear end in a top hat who already lost is loving your poo poo up out of spite. Put your best lineup forward. Grab guys who clear waivers. But putting in claims is silly to me. I think that hurts leagues more and creates needless drama.

It should be noted that almost every league I'm in locks you out of waiver claims once you are eliminated for this reason.

This is asinine. You aren't loving anything up by playing. And there are absolutely difference makers on the wire at this stage. I'm pretty sure Mattison was like 50-60% owned before Cook got hurt. He's a potential league winner.

I can understand locking teams once the playoffs have started and only allowing teams that are still alive to make moves. That's fine. This is the regular season. The guy that brought this up has a weekly prize that he should absolutely be trying to win, but even if he didn't I feel the same way. What fucks up the competitive balance in a league is guys not trying anymore and some teams getting easy wins down the stretch as a result. Everyone should be trying to win every week, period. And sure it's frustrating to get sniped on the wire but then maybe you should have held on to a higher priority or saved more FAAB! That's the game! Sorry that you don't just get to grab all the best available players I guess?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

dkj posted:

The weather is supposed to be really bad. High winds, rain, and below freezing.

Oh hey it happened! :toot: Playoffs clinched for me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Why the gently caress are there byes in week 14

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

kiimo posted:

Why the gently caress are there byes in week 14

No Fun League!!!!!!!

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Because there's 18 weeks now.

All leagues should definitely move the playoffs to 15-17 but one of our goon leagues is still 14-16 so now I've got Miles Sanders on a bye in my first round playoff matchup. That may be a blessing in disguise knowing Sanders, but it still stinks and shouldn't happen!

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Sataere posted:

It’s also noted that almost every league you’re in is boring. Where’s the anarchy? The rivalry? Fantasy is built on the chaos of bullshit luck and petty roster moves. It’s why I’ll never understand the leagues where they award points based on weekly score. I get it’s lovely to have a high scoring team and be unlucky (trust me I’ve been in last with top-3 PF more than once) but maybe I’m just a masochist who follows the Old Ways.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

While we're on the subject I just realized Cleveland played Baltimore, then had a bye, now plays Baltimore again. That seems like some shitt scheduling.

But more importantly I can't tell if Landry will be better or worse this game

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Whoreson Welles posted:

Listen, if you’re out of playoff contention and you aren’t dumping the remaining 90% of your FAAB on the only serviceable waiver TE because you know that Joey has a must-win week but Waller is hurt and Taylor is on bye and you want to try to keep him from the playoffs because he grifted a couple other owners out of Zeke and Henry early in the year in lovely one-sided trades but now it’s backfiring on him for the sweet schadenfreude of it all then I don’t even know why you’re playing this magical game of fate and cruelty.

Mattison got dropped right before Dalvin got hurt in one league I'm in. An eliminated player spent 100% FAAB on Mattison to gently caress with the rest of the league. It was the right move.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Whoreson Welles posted:

Can’t take the FAAB with you, blow it all on Ameer Abdullah.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I was thinking about doing a a guillotine league but don't like the idea of complete elimination so I came up with this overly complicated setup. Would love to hear some feedback or ways in which it wouldn't work.
  • Teams start with $100 in FAAB and have shallow benches. Traditional roster setup.
  • Like a guillotine league, each week the lowest-scoring N number of teams (where N is the week number) are disbanded and lose all FAAB; they must drop their entire roster. However, the team is not eliminated; they can rebuild from free agency and eventually waivers.
  • Each week, every team gets $10 in FAAB for each team they outscore (or maybe $10*N instead).
  • Before the games start each week, teams can 1:1 convert any amount of FAAB to victory points. Any FAAB converted in this way is lost forever.
  • The team with the most victory points at the end of the season wins.
This creates the ability for eliminated owners to continue and build a competitive team through free agency/waivers. It also creates a risk/reward system for banking FAAB into victory points; you can keep it to build the best team but risk losing it all from an unlucky week, or play it safe and bank but lose out on free agents.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If victory points are the only way to win and the only way you get them is by converting faab, I’d immediately convert my initial faab to 100 victory points and hope that I beat some teams and keep cashing in.

Never played in a guillotine league before but FA/waivers sound like a mess if you lose 1 full team to waivers one week, 2 the next and so on. If it’s a 12 team league is the Super Bowl in week 11?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

If victory points are the only way to win and the only way you get them is by converting faab, I’d immediately convert my initial faab to 100 victory points and hope that I beat some teams and keep cashing in.
This is a viable strategy choice that every team would have an option to execute.

The downside is that if all the Week 1 projections turn out to be faulty and your team actually sucks, you lose out on the chance to pick up any juicy free agents in Week 2.

quote:

Never played in a guillotine league before but FA/waivers sound like a mess if you lose 1 full team to waivers one week, 2 the next and so on. If it’s a 12 team league is the Super Bowl in week 11?
Ideally you have a lot of teams, but yeah basically, or you eliminate every-other-week or something.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Poque posted:

This. You are loving with someone’s money by giving ANY team an easier path to a win.

Just play the game to win every week, as god intended.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I watched MNF with a guy who needed 5 points from Mac Jones and it was the first time I've ever enjoyed a Patriots win.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Are we still posting our brag-posts, because BEHOLD A 12-1 TEAM
RedZone (Taylor's Version)

....and also behold the team that just put up a 200-point week and is definitely gonna beat me in the championship:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

rank these WRs and DSTs for a week _15_ stash in PPR:

Julio Jones @ PIT
Amon-Ra St Brown vs ARI
AJ Green @ DET

CLE vs LV
KC @ LAC
DEN vs CIN
GBP @ BAL

trying to figure what to do with my bottom couple of roster slots for a team locked into the wildcard

pmchem fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 8, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

pmchem posted:

Julio Jones @ PIT
Amon-Ra St Brown vs ARI
AJ Green @ DET

CLE vs LV
KC @ LAC
DEN vs CIN
GBP @ BAL

trying to figure what to do with my bottom couple of roster slots for a team locked into the wildcard

I'd go in that exact order for defenses with a STRONG preference to Cleveland. Flip Julio and Amon-Ra for WRs but none of those three are particularly juicy unless there's confirmation that Julio's role will return at all.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

pmchem posted:

Julio Jones @ PIT
Amon-Ra St Brown vs ARI
AJ Green @ DET

CLE vs LV
KC @ LAC
DEN vs CIN
GBP @ BAL

I would be horrified if I had to start any of these in a playoff game. Maybe the Browns if the weather is bad? Or Denver, if Burrow's finger is truly hosed.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Without AJ Brown I'd have to assume Julio will play a fairly big role. At least until he gets hurt again

The defenses though, no thanks.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Are Julio Jones or Dontrell Hilliard worth grabbing as playoff stashes If it meant giving up Rhamondre Stevenson and/or Jerry Jeudy? .5 PPR

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Poque posted:

I'd go in that exact order for defenses with a STRONG preference to Cleveland. Flip Julio and Amon-Ra for WRs but none of those three are particularly juicy unless there's confirmation that Julio's role will return at all.

generally agreed on the WRs, can't figure out what I like for the D/ST's

coronaball posted:

I would be horrified if I had to start any of these in a playoff game. Maybe the Browns if the weather is bad? Or Denver, if Burrow's finger is truly hosed.

yeah, defenses in week 15 are really thin, the juicy matchups like NYJ and DET are playing against bad defenses and other good defenses are all claimed

I guess PIT (vs TEN) is also on the wire and TEN is kinda banged up. So throw them in the above list too. NO and CAR are available but have terrible matchups.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vargo posted:

Are Julio Jones or Dontrell Hilliard worth grabbing as playoff stashes If it meant giving up Rhamondre Stevenson and/or Jerry Jeudy? .5 PPR
Considering Damien Harris hurt his hammy last night, no, I would not get rid of Rhamondre. But sure overall but wanted to comment about the Harris injury.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^^ Agreed on keeping rhamode at all costs.

coronaball posted:

I would be horrified if I had to start any of these in a playoff game.

Can I pile on here?

Pick two:
Adam Thielen
Juju
Robert woods
Antonio Brown
Sterling shepherd (quad)
Jakobi Meyers (bye)

I am going to have to call up Gabe Davis and KJ Osborne because I have to play 2 wrs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spermy Smurf posted:

^^^ Agreed on keeping rhamode at all costs.

Can I pile on here?

Pick two:
Adam Thielen
Juju
Robert woods
Antonio Brown
Sterling shepherd (quad)
Jakobi Meyers (bye)

I am going to have to call up Gabe Davis and KJ Osborne because I have to play 2 wrs.

lol. At least Osborn has a huge chunk of targets to take from Thielen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Do not drop Stevenson Harris tweaked his hammy