Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Schnorkles posted:

my favorite part about Omicron is how impressively karmic justice it is for all the natural immunity morons

yeah.

there's a very real chance that boosters are effective enough for the people pushing them to claim that it was a win while the natural immunity (no vaccine) folks get rocked. they can't even vaccinate their way to safety in time since the wave is coming NOW and the vaccine takes over a month to kick in.

sure am glad that the vaccine is available for all ages! would be pretty hosed up if they were still gatekeeping it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/itosettiMD_MBA/status/1468506913721753604?s=20

Rich and powerful people losing their best Get Out of Jail Free card might be the one thing that pushes governments to reinstitute any COVID measures other than tweeting "get vaxxed" over and over.

haha welp

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Gottlieb is utilizing the time-honored "baffle them with bullshit" PR strategy.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bold Robot posted:

Are there actual numbers anywhere on vaccine efficacy against infection by omicron at 3 doses vs. 2? All the news I can find either gives titer count reduction info or some overbroad bullshit like that chise "a third dose neutralizes omicron" tweet which seems to imply 100% which obviously isn't true.

What's the official govt line going to be for people who got boosted <6 months ago?

the boost vaccine actually doesn't do anything but they cant say that or the entire narrative of "anyone who dies from covid is an anti-vaxer who deserves it" will dissolve

i have no data to back this up, i just assume any positive news is lies

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my biggest regret is that I couldn’t figure out how to make a bunch of money correctly predicting each wave of mass death.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

"Some won't look as good"

I'm so loving angry at these monsters for turning me into a literal conspiracy theorist, but they're clearly lying about the goddamn boosters. gently caress.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I am 1 of 2 in my department of 12 people that haven't caught covid yet. Most got vaxxed after catching it at least. 1 had it severe enough to be hospitalized.

It's weird because they all agree it loving sucks to catch but have done zero behavioral changes (concerts, football games, etc) and one is currently planning a big birthday party for her kid.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Vernii posted:

It's weird because they all agree it loving sucks to catch but have done zero behavioral changes (concerts, football games, etc) and one is currently planning a big birthday party for her kid.

They already had it so they're immune. I've observed this exact behavior in everyone I know who caught it, including a guy who was hospitalized for two weeks. I fully expect that dude to get loving dead from Omicron at this point.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

3 points of data, all leading directly into my toilet in the morning

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

'some people will tell you it's not okay for me to hit you, but i know what's best'

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/BoatGuyMike1/status/1468595001944854534
anyone know where i can get the watermelon vaccine? i hate seeds

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NeonPunk posted:

gently caress God drat it. Look at that mask discipline everywhere! I can't even find a single dick nose, much less someone without a mask.

I'm so loving jealous af!!!!

not to rain on your parade but

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
what sucks is everyone who got boosted and caught delta is now still able to catch omicron. cant wait for this dual wave to hit

i did notice illinois is doing a slow but steady case count rise - last year it ramped up hard in october and peaked before thanksgiving, this year it's ramping up almost a full month later. protective effects of the vaccines maybe ? who knows

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ughhhhhh goddamnit

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Schnorkles posted:

My wife observed last night that we are the only two people she is aware of in our social circle who haven't tested postive for COVID or had COVD-like symptoms and a negative test result.

*chuckles* I'm in danger.

At work, on a team of ~40, I and one of my associates are the only people who have not tested positive or gotten very sick and refused to test.

Socially, maybe 5 out of 30 people I used to regularly hang out with have not tested positive.

In my family, my parents and one of my brothers has not caught it. Most of my dad’s side of the family who live in bumfuck nowhere (who we don’t talk with because chuds + horrible) died from it or became disabled.

When I was a kid, we used to do family reunions with my mom’s side of the family. My great grandmother was one of 7 children and there were lots of cousins we saw regularly. Many of them are dead now. A lot of them lived in Little Rock and it spread around several of the families. In one cousins family it got the grandfather (80ish), the dad/mom (50s) and the kids (30s). I hadn’t seen any of these people in decades but when I was talking with my grandmother the other day, she casually mentioned them all dying last year/this year.

It’s loving everywhere and everyone is getting it. Omicron is going to be worse.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

at a squint the boosted numbers v. omicron aren't terrible, but its pretty clear that 2 doses is completely worthless.

good thing that *checks notes* ~15% of the population has a booster shot.

hm. maybe this isn't great.

I wonder how much the 40 of us contributing 31,800 boosters is mucking up the booster data.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

what sucks is everyone who got boosted and caught delta is now still able to catch omicron

cant wait for this dual wave to hit

there are so many stories of 2nd or 3rd infections finally killing someone

covid really does wreck your organs, and then the next covid wrecks you more. we're so hosed.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Korean Boomhauer posted:

lmfao i guess mff was a superspreader event then? i sure hope my vendor friend doesnt get roni'd!

Nordic Fuzz Con is due to happen here in Sweden early next year lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stereotype posted:

my biggest regret is that I couldn’t figure out how to make a bunch of money correctly predicting each wave of mass death.

the trick to making money is to dehumanize yourself and face the bloodshed

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

If covid just keeps circulating in billions of Humans what's to stop a deathkill variant that topples entire states from emerging?

Only time, OP.

Only time.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

i don't think Pfizer is lying but there's quite a spin on their results that would be graded "FACT CHECK: MISLEADING".

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Testvan posted:

this week's update was just released:

god loving damnit

why do they call these things "forecasts"

gently caress gently caress gently caress

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

what sucks is everyone who got boosted and caught delta is now still able to catch omicron. cant wait for this dual wave to hit

Assuming the Delta case was actually and truly mild (a couple of my friends had breakthroughs that were the equivalent of 48 hours of allergies) you probably are actually better positioned to fight off omicron.

Like what's his face from TWiV saying we can just boost by being exposed, I mean ya sorta, if you get just the right kind of exposure and a resulting case that doesn't do physical damage to you, but that's uhhh....tricky.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

dead gay comedy forums posted:

you are loving kidding me

gotta respect the hustle

https://twitter.com/BuildAFur/status/1349390658084216839?s=20

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1457719928656695297?s=20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

synapse posted:

i don't think Pfizer is lying but there's quite a spin on their results that would be graded "FACT CHECK: MISLEADING".

Spinning and lying are the same things in this context.

It's also fun that a blanket booster recommendation probably could have saved a ton of lives and maybe even slowed the roll of the wave we're in right now, but oh well! They wanted things to matter and it turns out things really, really matter when you make stupid decisions.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mistermojo posted:

lol at how loopy this thread gets overnight. Pfizer, that we eagerly got the first shot, the second shot and the booster from, are lying liars now that theyre saying things I dont want to hear

get a load of this guy

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mdemone posted:

god loving damnit

why do they call these things "forecasts"

gently caress gently caress gently caress

greatest and most advanced nation on earth lmao

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I bet the yiff-ing, purr-ing, yowling, and pawing adds a certain spice to an otherwise dull presentation.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

HORSE OF THE YEAR posted:

My aunt and uncle both have “a cold.” They refuse to get tested and are not vaccinated. both in their 50s.

My sister’s boyfriend’s family was going to come to thanksgiving dinner until my sister spoke with one of them on the phone and said they all had some kind of “cold.” They were immediately disinvited.

A beer vendor at my work told me he felt like he was “coming down with something” and didn’t know if he would be able to take that trip this weekend. He was not wearing a mask.

A coworker who had covid this time last year just got back from a cruise and is leaving for San Diego this week to attend a wedding. She will often tell me how she will never be vaccinated and how her sense of smell still isn’t right in the same breath.

A kid in my wife’s classroom tested positive, requiring two other vaccinated kids to quarantine for two whole days, and three other unvaccinated kids to quarantine for one whole week.

My wife’s coworker, a teacher, got covid before thanksgiving. His mom called him just before he got on the plane and told him to stay home.

This all happened in the past two weeks.

I remain one of two vaccinated people in my department of 8 people.

lol

You are surrounded by a Confederacy of Dunces, "another book you haven't read, stupid."

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Testvan posted:

this week's update was just released:

????

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

why do they keep doing the thing where they come out strongly with “it’s fine it’s no big deal” before they even have the slightest amount of data then when it all goes to poo poo they go “there’s no way we could have known or played this safely”

Simple, it lets them control the stock market and then to capitalize on the drops they cause with sending mixed messages.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

NeonPunk posted:

gently caress God drat it. Look at that mask discipline everywhere! I can't even find a single dick nose, much less someone without a mask.

I'm so loving jealous af!!!!

That's largely propaganda. As someone with friends over there vast swaths of the country are chud central with no masking and a ton of Jesus going on.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can someone give me a rundown on omicron, i keep hearing crazy poo poo

like it's potentially similar to hiv? do we have any info on how deadly it is yet? is there any info at all or just more "mildsauce"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Vernii posted:

I am 1 of 2 in my department of 12 people that haven't caught covid yet. Most got vaxxed after catching it at least. 1 had it severe enough to be hospitalized.

The current bur in my side is how many people in my office are catching “just a cold”. If I point out catching a cold means they’re putting themselves in situations where they can catch COVID people don’t appreciate that.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Dolphin posted:

like it's potentially similar to hiv? do we have any info on how deadly it is yet? is there any info at all or just more "mildsauce"

We don't know anything for sure. ADE (HIV like property) doesn't seem likely, but again we don't know. It's only been talked about in this thread from one (good) Twitter scientist.

I'm assuming it's a super infectious OG COVID at this point.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Dolphin posted:

what if you ate mild suace taco instead of diablo? either way you're eating rear end

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the full pre-print for this is available now: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.07.21267432v1

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

every covid vaxx that drops is gonna have a worse uptake rate amongst the population than the one before it, and everyone in this thread will have a dozen doses of each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Good news guys
https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1468581821336080386?s=20
https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1468607376789962754?s=20