Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If any open positions for a UFO/UAP department turn up on USAJobs I might apply, qualified or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

biden gonna veto it, we’ll have to wait on full disclosure from trump in 2025 when he realizes it’ll make him more popular

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
did it go thru the senate already

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

biden doesnt care either way about aliens

they may be small but they have no hair to sniff

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

my bony fealty posted:

alright can you elaborate im ready for some Egypt truths. I know the pyramids were really built by Joseph for grain storage but what else?

this thread hasn't veered into alternative history/archeology outside the mainstream much but it seems like a decent place for it, with the caveat that it's often utter nonsense mudflood! mud-flood!

There are too many reasons to list, but I’ll throw out the very basics.

Firstly the idea that Pharaoh Kufu or his reign had anything to do with them is based on a single piece of graffiti. Found in 1837 by the way. Nothing else. Given how hell-bent Egyptian leaders were with cementing their history (that’s why we have so much detail about everything else), it is inconsistent with anything from the region.

Their construction and design is completely unlike other pyramids or anything else which we know Egyptians built. Again, no records were left regarding how they were built (debunkers will point to a vague papyrus that mentions limestone without context) and the Egyptians recorded an amazing amount of history. In fact, after numerous attempts to build pyramid tombs, the idea was abandoned because they couldn’t make any with enough integrity to stop grave robbers. Visit those today and you see a pile of rubble. Thus the Valley of Kings was created.

Simply put, they have no cultural relation to the way ancient Egypt operated, save for later failed attempts to make pyramids.

There’s a great, mainstream book on Egypt, “Tombs, Temples, and Hieroglyphs”. The author even believes Kufu built them. But I mention it because you can read that book (or hell, Wikipedia), learn all about ancient Egypt, and the one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb are the Giza pyramids and the Sphinx. That’s what got me interested in alternative theories to begin with. a layman can see it doesn’t make a lick of sense.

The implausible construction, water erosion, etc. etc. don’t even need to be in the conversation. Someone else built them, human or otherwise.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Double post to thank the goon that posted the “AbducteeJournal” Gab. I signed up just to read them all, and that was a great ride.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think she’s crazy. Seems like she’s just a victim of David Jacobs.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

blatman posted:

biden doesnt care either way about aliens

they may be small but they have no hair to sniff

the ariel school aliens had long hair

maybe thats why their vision of the future was one of doom and despair

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mr p'nutty,

all our base may belong to u

but all ur hair are belong to us

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Invest in hats people, it's going to be one of our main exports.

I wonder if it's possible to make a giant mantis look like a badass cowboy.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Ancient egypt video time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUDu40BC5o
Evidence for Ancient High Technology - Part 1: Machining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtDAHRK8s0
Proof of Ancient High Technology at the Serapeum of Saqqara, Egypt. Chapter 1

The channel has loads and they're all pretty well done. v interesting.

edit: added titles

munce has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Dec 8, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I will say getting into making stuff you really get a feel for it, and someone who's dedicated their life to it can do incredible things by hand, surely. Like even in the first few minutes of the first vid he says they're often found with crappy versions of the same thing... yeah no poo poo, not everyone in an entire culture is a uniform level of master mason

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that post made me go read the pyramid wiki because idk poo poo about it really and lol:

In 1872 Waynman Dixon opened the lower pair of "Air-Shafts", previously closed at both ends, by chiseling holes into the walls of the Queen's Chamber. One of the objects found within was a cedar plank, which came into possession of James Grant, a friend of Dixon. After inheritance it was donated to the Museum of Aberdeen in 1946, however it had broken into pieces and was filed incorrectly. Lost in the vast museum collection, it was only rediscovered in 2020, when it was radiocarbon dated to 3341–3094 BC. Being over 500 years older than Khufu's chronological age, Abeer Eladany suggests that the wood originated from the center of a long-lived tree or had been recycled for many years prior to being deposited in the pyramid

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

munce posted:

Ancient egypt video time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUDu40BC5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtDAHRK8s0

The Serapeum of Saqqara is defo my fave serapeum. Those sarcophagi are awesome, I'd love to see them.

In case anyone hasn't heard of it, I always like to bring up Göbekli Tepe when talking about ancient structures. This bad boy was already ~8000 years old when the pyramids were being built, and will potentially change our ideas about prehistory as excavation continues.

also it's got birds and orbs

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
i would just like to double-tap rime's recommendation of dawn of everything, which i am almost done reading. before i finished the first two chapters i had already sent it back to my high school civics teachers, who have been thinking about restructuring the curriculum, and the book is an incredible resource for decentering the eurocentric/enlightenmentcentric narrative of human freedom.

additionally there is a lot of cool deep-human-time stuff in there about old monuments, mayan math, the kinds of nonhierarchical social systems responsible for things we retroject our notions of order/hierarchy onto, etc.

and yeah, someone else brought this up, but in terms of deep time, we are closer in time to cleopatra than cleopatra was to the pyramids, and we are closer in time to the pyramids than the pyramids were to göbekli tepe

and don't forget https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%87atalh%C3%B6y%C3%BCk, which, while lacking known massive monuments, was an egalitarian city w/ no evident king or priest or other elite classes for nearly 2000 years, all before narmur had sniffed a tablet

Petey has issued a correction as of 12:08 on Dec 8, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I went to the Serapeum of Saqqara on my trip, it’s a pretty amazing place. And near one of the lovely knock-off pyramids later Pharaohs made.

Like a lot of historical sights in Egypt, they gate off the inner depths. What you do see is incredible, but it’s a bit obvious they’re hiding something.

When you tour around those places they’ll have guards with guns at the entrance, but once inside you’re free to poke around (this was in 2011, not sure if anything changed after all the poo poo went down). It feels like if you snuck in a pair of bolt cutters you could just go to town.

There was no one else inside the mummy room at the Cairo museum because you have pay an extra $60 or so and I guess after spending thousands to get there it’s a deal breaker for most people. Left me wishing I had one of those glass cutters you see in the movies; you could probably get in and out with a cursed head.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

There are too many reasons to list, but I’ll throw out the very basics.

Firstly the idea that Pharaoh Kufu or his reign had anything to do with them is based on a single piece of graffiti. Found in 1837 by the way. Nothing else.

now hold up this ain't true unless Wikipedia and the rest of the internet is lying to me. maybe it is

Herodotus said Khufu built the pyramid and while he wasn't exactly the most reliable source for real history, that appears to be the first attribution. it wasn't "a single piece of graffiti" it was "over a dozen."

add multiple cartouches of khufu found in and on the pyramid and well...?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Isn't part of what makes us jump to "this had to be ancient advanced technology" the assumption that something was done quickly as we would do it today?
Like, given the timescale for ancient construction was many many lifetimes

like if you gave me a slab and my whole lifetime and my job was to make the slab level and that's it and then my children would work on the slab we'd probably get it pretty good even if I was grinding it flat with sand and a big grinding rock

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

imagine how many Antikythera mechanisms we haven’t found

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Yeah that one fucks my head in.

I'd love to crack open some of those alien probes and dig into the video archives to see what the gently caress we were actually up to millennia ago

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah that one fucks my head in.

I'd love to crack open some of those alien probes and dig into the video archives to see what the gently caress we were actually up to millennia ago

Extremely same

I never used to care all that much about history but now I can't get enough of it. The further from my own cultural experience the better - Ancient Egypt, Han China, all the pre-contact American cultures

I just like to try and put myself into a mindset and worldview fundamentally different to my own. Inevitably I'm gonna be incorrect (not that we'll ever know without time machines!) but it's a mental exercise I find stimulating and sometimes honestly flat out intoxicating

The flip side - that I'll never be able to experience life as a Phoenician sailor or a Roman citizen or read Lives of Famous Whores whatever - sucks and is frustrating though. So much lost forever

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Was just going to bring this up in relation to pyramid chat. Unless the mechanism is from some insufferable steampunk aliens

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Extremely same

I never used to care all that much about history but now I can't get enough of it. The further from my own cultural experience the better - Ancient Egypt, Han China, all the pre-contact American cultures

I just like to try and put myself into a mindset and worldview fundamentally different to my own. Inevitably I'm gonna be incorrect (not that we'll ever know without time machines!) but it's a mental exercise I find stimulating and sometimes honestly flat out intoxicating

The flip side - that I'll never be able to experience life as a Phoenician sailor or a Roman citizen or read Lives of Famous Whores whatever - sucks and is frustrating though. So much lost forever

Fall of Civilizations podcast is the coolest one ive found for kinda getting in that headspace, does a real neat job at making you think "what would it be like to be a person at this moment in history"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

my bony fealty posted:

Fall of Civilizations podcast is the coolest one ive found for kinda getting in that headspace, does a real neat job at making you think "what would it be like to be a person at this moment in history"

Yeah I love Fall of Civilizations

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Someone start encapsulating modern tech in resin, so future generations can find it and marvel at old tech in thousands of years.

People already dug up the Atari/E.T. landfill, so we can't really count on that being the time capsule it was thought to be in the 90s.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Wheeee posted:

not as old as that, but here's a fun book this thread might like: https://www.upenn.edu/pennpress/book/15383.html

free essay version: https://aeon.co/essays/medieval-technology-indistinguishable-from-magic

quote:

In the mid-10th century, for instance, the Italian diplomat Liudprand of Cremona described the ceremonial throne room in the Byzantine emperor’s palace in Constantinople. In a building adjacent to the Great Palace complex, Emperor Constantine VII received foreign guests while seated on a throne flanked by golden lions that ‘gave a dreadful roar with open mouth and quivering tongue’ and switched their tails back and forth. Next to the throne stood a life-sized golden tree, on whose branches perched dozens of gilt birds, each singing the song of its particular species. When Liudprand performed the customary prostration before the emperor, the throne rose up to the ceiling, potentate still perched on top. At length, the emperor returned to earth in a different robe, having effected a costume change during his journey into the rafters.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Someone start encapsulating modern tech in resin, so future generations can find it and marvel at old tech in thousands of years.

thousands of years from now when people want to see the most advanced technologies of the 20th and early 21st centuries they’ll just hop in a saucer or tic tac shaped spacetime machine and check it out directly

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

my bony fealty posted:

it's great!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wheeee posted:

thousands of years from now when people want to see the most advanced technologies of the 20th and early 21st centuries they’ll just hop in a saucer or tic tac shaped spacetime machine and check it out directly

checking out the historical record of top 10 f35 fails is the #1 past time of the future

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

https://lweb.cfa.harvard.edu/%7Eloeb/Mark.pdf

quote:

During my routine morning jog in the woods, I saw four pairs of ducks swimming in a narrow channel. From their dance which looked at times like wrestling, it was apparent that the art of dating is focused on collecting enough information to decide whether to have an offspring with a particular partner. Raising an offspring is a tedious task that benefits from good genetic making as well as exceptional companionship skills. Correspondingly, the ducks selected a partner based on both genetic and behavioral qualities.

This realization hit me close to home. I lead the Galileo Project whose space-research goal is to rendezvous and take a close-up photograph of an interstellar object that might have been manufactured by an extraterrestrial technological civilization. An object of interest must appear and behave differently than known asteroids or comets, resembling the first interstellar object discovered by Pan STARRS in October 2017, `Oumuamua, which is gone by now. `Oumuamua possessed an extreme - most likely flat - shape, and was pushed away from the Sun without showing any sign of outgassing. The resolve to chase a particular object mirrors a dating decision. The Galileo research team must be selective because the space mission could cost a billion dollars. In other words, “To rendezvous or not to rendezvous?” is a billion-dollar question. Similarly to a dater who lost a loved partner, the Galileo Project‘s team will need to collect enough data from remote telescopes to decide whether an object is as unusual as its first love, `Oumuamua, was.

And just as in dates, we should always verify that the partner is not related to our family. In September 2020, Pan STARRS discovered the object 2020 SO, which also exhibited a push away from the Sun without a cometary tail, as `Oumuamua did. This object turned out to be artificial for sure, a rocket booster launched by NASA in 1966 and pushed by the reflection of sunlight from its thin walls.

We should also keep in mind the remote possibility that a technological civilization predated us on Earth. If it existed hundreds of millions of years ago, any of its relics on the ground would have likely been destroyed by now or buried deep underground through geological activity. However, if this early culture launched equipment to space, some of it might still be around and could be detected by the Galileo Project.

But there are those who argue that they would not waste their time or money on the dating scene of the solar system because there is nothing of interest to be found there. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy which reinforces the notion that we are alone for the simple reason that we choose not to engage in the search for others. Of course, we could wait for a partner on a white horse to show up at our front door without any prompting effort on our side. This would constitute the equivalent of waiting for “extraordinary evidence” to show up near Enrico Fermi at Los Alamos in the summer of 1950, when he asked the question:

“where is everybody?” without allocating the billion dollars needed to find the answer in space. Carl Sagan’s standard: “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” should be supplemented by the amendment: “… and extraordinary evidence requires extraordinary funding.”

Most dating episodes do not end well. But a billion dollars to confirm that a weird object is not extraterrestrial equipment is money well spent. Of course, “experts” who were trained on solar system rocks would insist that any object in space must be natural and is very unlikely to be artificial in origin. The Greek poet Archilochus wrote, "the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." Asteroids or comets are the one big thing known to solar system experts. Narrow-mindedness will not serve them well in discovering new partners on the dating scene of the solar system. As one of them confessed to me: “`Oumuamua is so weird; I wish it never existed.”

We know from experience that even promising dates do end up in a long-lasting relationship. CERN’s Large Hadron Collider consumed extraordinary funds of about 10 billion dollars without providing extraordinary evidence for supersymmetry. Risk is common practice when exploring the frontiers of science as it is in dating sites. We should be willing to accept risk also in our archaeological search for technological relics in space.

Given this perspective, I will continue to seek the funding required for the Galileo Project. As Marcus Aurelius noted in his Meditations, "The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing, in so far as it stands ready against the accidental and the unforeseen, and is not apt to fall.” Discovering `Oumuamua was certainly accidental and unforeseen and admitting that it is an object of a type `never seen before’ required wrestling with some planetary scientists.

There is no better way to close my meditations than with another quote from Aurelius’ Meditations: “Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.” This is indeed the message I received while running in the woods this morning.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

munce posted:

Ancient egypt video time

Evidence for Ancient High Technology - Part 1: Machining

Proof of Ancient High Technology at the Serapeum of Saqqara, Egypt. Chapter 1

edit: added titles

oh man, 10 mins in to the first video and i'm hooked. this is my poo poo

thanks for sharing, i've devoured graham hancock and randall carlson's materials but was afraid to delve too deeply into the other people supporting their claims given how kooky they usually appeared. this guy rules though

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Isn't part of what makes us jump to "this had to be ancient advanced technology" the assumption that something was done quickly as we would do it today?
Like, given the timescale for ancient construction was many many lifetimes

like if you gave me a slab and my whole lifetime and my job was to make the slab level and that's it and then my children would work on the slab we'd probably get it pretty good even if I was grinding it flat with sand and a big grinding rock

I said this upthread but it is commonly accepted that the pyramid at Giza was built in 20 years. It has 2.3 million blocks averaging 2.5 tons each. That would require one block every 4 minutes.

I don't even think we could do that today without a serious loving effort. You don't have to believe it was aliens to know the egyptologist views are not all correct.

I would highly suggest anybody interested listen to the Joe Rogan ( I know I know but these are actually great episodes) podcast episodes with Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson (not the ones with Hancock by himself).

Hancock was considered an absolute crank for decades but recently a lot of mainstream archeologists are coming around to things he has been claiming for years. He's certainly not right about everything but those podcasts do a good job of laying out strong evidence that there was a human culture around 12k+ years ago that was as advanced in many ways as Egypt and the various other Mediterranean empires that got wiped out by an impact event around 12k years ago.

There is quite a lot of evidence for the impact event in the geological record and as someone else mentioned Gobekli Teppe, which was only discovered relatively recently, is much much more advanced for its age than is possible with conventional wisdom. They also go over the Sphinx erosion evidence. Very slowly many of his ideas are starting to be accepted. The mindset in academia regarding these subjects is very much like the NDT brain UFO stuff but as more and more evidence is found it's getting harder for them to ignore it.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

D-Pad posted:

I said this upthread but it is commonly accepted that the pyramid at Giza was built in 20 years. It has 2.3 million blocks averaging 2.5 tons each. That would require one block every 4 minutes.

I don't even think we could do that today without a serious loving effort. You don't have to believe it was aliens to know the egyptologist views are not all correct.

I would highly suggest anybody interested listen to the Joe Rogan ( I know I know but these are actually great episodes) podcast episodes with Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson (not the ones with Hancock by himself).

Hancock was considered an absolute crank for decades but recently a lot of mainstream archeologists are coming around to things he has been claiming for years. He's certainly not right about everything but those podcasts do a good job of laying out strong evidence that there was a human culture around 12k+ years ago that was as advanced in many ways as Egypt and the various other Mediterranean empires that got wiped out by an impact event around 12k years ago.

There is quite a lot of evidence for the impact event in the geological record and as someone else mentioned Gobekli Teppe, which was only discovered relatively recently, is much much more advanced for its age than is possible with conventional wisdom. They also go over the Sphinx erosion evidence. Very slowly many of his ideas are starting to be accepted. The mindset in academia regarding these subjects is very much like the NDT brain UFO stuff but as more and more evidence is found it's getting harder for them to ignore it.

Forcing me to look up Joe Rogan, how dare you.
I'm going to need an episode number chief, looks like they have a few episodes with both those people and u dying want to waste 3 hours listening to the wrong one.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Lol I recommend everyone listen to Joe Rogan to learn about the pyramids

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Lol I recommend everyone listen to Joe Rogan to learn about the pyramids

was the excision of all context a deliberate decision in crafting this shitpost, or are you simply illiterate?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the sphinx water erosion guy is also an ancient astronaut theorist

he's right

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Wheeee posted:

was the excision of all context a deliberate decision in crafting this shitpost, or are you simply illiterate?

Listen to joe Rogan to find out!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Listen to joe Rogan to find out!

condolences on your succumbing to mindless identity politics

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wheeee posted:

condolences on your succumbing to mindless identity politics

You shouldn't bite on such an obvious shitpost ;)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The Demilich posted:

Forcing me to look up Joe Rogan, how dare you.
I'm going to need an episode number chief, looks like they have a few episodes with both those people and u dying want to waste 3 hours listening to the wrong one.

the eps with those two are about the only rogan things i'd ever recommend to people, but seriously they're good

Azathoth posted:

You shouldn't bite on such an obvious shitpost ;)

wheeee cannot help but go aggro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oh hell yeah