Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Smeef posted:

This does remind me that a if Russia invades the rest of Ukraine and the US takes action, it will probably be more in the form of the Soviet-Afghan War than a direct confrontation. I know it's probably a poor analogy given all the differences in the situations, but then again Andrew Jackson has made an appearance in the last page or two.

I wonder what the Stinger missile would be this time around.

yeah idk about all the clancy stuff, a ton of really ridiculous stuff has been posted as if ukraine is the new fulda gap

serious answer: drones, using the recent nagorno karabakh war as a template. And it's a very literal template given that ukraine has been buying up the exact same drone systems azerbaijan just used to great effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Smeef posted:

This post is dedicated to the brave Azovideen fighters of Ukranistan

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

VitalSigns posted:

It's more of a "guy I don't like" thing

If it were just about invading countries then every US president is Hitler and nobody would be saying "hey you know what would make things better, some more Hilter"

Calling Putin Hitler is a natural extension of calling everyone politically on the right from you a nazi.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

god i love our media

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1468385883774726151

is there/is there going to be a full readout of the call or are we only getting the press briefing talking points

Holy gently caress, he's likening military invasion to leaner border control.

quote:

Ukraine’s territorial integrity. That's the concern. That’s what this is really about, they’re telling us. Because if there’s one thing that the Biden White House cares about its secure borders. At least in Eastern Europe where borders are not racist. Ukraine’s borders must be defended. It would be immoral to open those borders to the world and allow, say, tens of thousands of unemployed Haitians to pour across. We can’t allow that. In fact, we will send American troops to Ukraine to prevent that. Open borders are only permitted in Texas, Arizona and California and anywhere else the potential Democratic voters might arrive uninvited from the Third World.

But Ukraine? No. Ukraine is a God-given right to territorial integrity and American soldiers will die to defend that territorial integrity. That’s our official position as a country

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-america-gain-nothing-from-starting-war-russia

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I know that american pundits consider their audience to have comprehension of a lobotomized hog but comparing ongoing military conflict between a successor to the empire and its former holding to the US border policy is a new low.

I mean Cucker could have likened DNR to Texas fighting for independence or something.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They have similar rebel flags.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
There's no way Poland would be able to get meaningfully involved in any military operations. We'd send a GROM unit as a token gesture at most.

Then again, who the gently caress knows how far pis will go to draw attention away from its problems at home. Some good old saber rattling is a tested method after all.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Finally, Belarus has announced retaliatory sanctions against the West (including Albania and North Macedonia). Imports of the following have been banned - meat, milk, vegetables, pastry, and salt.

https://www.belta.by/politics/view/stali-izvestny-podrobnosti-o-merah-belarusi-v-otvet-na-sanktsii-zapada-473625-2021/

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm sure Russia will return the favour for Belarusian crabs, and soon the best Russian kiwis will be available in every Belarusian shop.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I'm sure Russia will return the favour for Belarusian crabs, and soon the best Russian kiwis will be available in every Belarusian shop.

I’m still kicking myself that I never got to try fresh salmon from the fabled Belarus fjords.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah idk about all the clancy stuff, a ton of really ridiculous stuff has been posted as if ukraine is the new fulda gap

serious answer: drones, using the recent nagorno karabakh war as a template. And it's a very literal template given that ukraine has been buying up the exact same drone systems azerbaijan just used to great effect

Hopefully you are wrong about parallels with Afghanistan, since the Soviets didn't lose Afghanistan because the guerillas fought so well, or because of a supposed Stinger effect (which is mostly a myth), but because the cost of depopulating most of the country was too much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Malaver posted:

Calling Putin Hitler is a natural extension of calling everyone politically on the right from you a nazi.
I know invoking Hitler is basically asking to lose the argument under Godwins law

...but there are some specific parallels from the early stages that justify the comparison. Protecting the German population in Sudetenland was explicitly his justification for annexing the region. Same for invading Poland Plus that Poland was going to encircle and destroy poor Germany, which somehow sounds familiar. Nobody is claiming Putin is firing up gas chambers.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In more EE news, Poland is getting called out over the ECHR ruling.

https://www.politico.eu/article/poland-explanation-how-implement-european-convention-human-rights/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

steinrokkan posted:

Hopefully you are wrong about parallels with Afghanistan, since the Soviets didn't lose Afghanistan because the guerillas fought so well, or because of a supposed Stinger effect (which is mostly a myth), but because the cost of depopulating most of the country was too much.

a handful of drones aren't making ukraine win a war against russia, but they certainly complicate things

that said idk much about the soviet's time in afghanistan beyond the sheer brutality of it, so I'm not trying to speak to the accuracy of that end of the comparison.

E: Looking it up, stingers apparently brought down 250+ soviet aircraft in afghanistan, which sure looks like they played some substantial role in making the conflict more costly.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 8, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, one loving hopes the cost of even attempting to depopulate Ukraine is too much for Putin to make a go at it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1468536880417415169?t=AWE7_VznHedEzDxq2FYC9A&s=19

belarus police are not human

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I know invoking Hitler is basically asking to lose the argument under Godwins law

...but there are some specific parallels from the early stages that justify the comparison. Protecting the German population in Sudetenland was explicitly his justification for annexing the region. Same for invading Poland Plus that Poland was going to encircle and destroy poor Germany, which somehow sounds familiar. Nobody is claiming Putin is firing up gas chambers.
Him and every other nationalist European leader pursuing irredentist goals through conquest and annexation for hundreds of years.

Irredentism isn't what made Hitler Hitler. It was ya know the firing up the gas chambers part.

If you want to call everyone else Nazis just nut up and do it instead of this mealy mouthed "well I'm not saying anyone is doing a holocaust but if you don't agree with me you're pretty much ready to let Hitler do one" stuff

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Giuseppe Garibaldi? More like Hitlerseppe Hitlerhitli

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Uh no, the rise of nazism also had a notable "stabbed in the back" and national humiliation mythology particularly poignant to our case here to bring one parallel not related to the gas chambers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1468503417450602496

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

VitalSigns posted:

Irredentism isn't what made Hitler Hitler. It was ya know the firing up the gas chambers part.
You're the one incorrectly expanding the metaphor to infer that folks are saying Putin plans another Holocaust, despite all posters so far being very explicit that they're speaking to the "insatiable irredentism that could have been thwarted early if the European community had responded better" facet :shrug:

And the tens of millions dead would very much disagree with your pretending that irredentism isn't a key part of what made Hitler Hitler.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 8, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cugel the Clever posted:

You're the one incorrectly expanding the metaphor to infer that folks are saying Putin plans another Holocaust, despite all posters so far being very explicit that they're speaking to the "insatiable irredentism that could have been thwarted early if the European community had responded better" facet :shrug:

And the tens of millions dead would very much disagree with your pretending that irredentism isn't a key part of what made Hitler Hitler.

Until Putin's plan includes a final struggle which will either prove the superiority of the Russian people or see them exterminated, he is much more Nicholas I than Hitler.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

45yo ex-soldier shot and killed two, wounded four at a municipal admin building in Moscow bc he didn't want to wear a face covering.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Salvaging the Hitler analogy by drawing smaller and smaller circles circumscribing what made Hitler bad and wiggling around the stuff that everyone else does.

It's not the holocaust that was so bad about Hitler because Putin isn't doing that, it's not killing hundreds of millions in a megalomaniacal final struggle to rule the world because he isn't doing that either, it's the invading other countries oh but not the actual invasions and terror bombings and the civilian casualties that all the Great Powers are doing all over the middle east and Africa, it's the territorial annexation part and only that (lighting a candle for the six million hectares annexed in the holocaust)

Oh but not the territorial annexation that all our national heroes did either, that was all before 1930, it's doing an annexation after 1930 that's what makes you Hitler. Oh except in 1945 of course one-time annexation pass.

That's why Hitler was so bad, strictly and only his territorial annexations after 1930 but not in 1945, and 2021 is after 1930 and isn't 1945 so it's Hitler reborn you Hitlers

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
They're not smaller and smaller circles, VitalSigns, it's just you not understanding the comparison and doubling down.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Please stop posting increasingly long paragraphs of drivel

The gas chambers Hitler grew out of smaller Hitlers, the small ones took inreasingly bold preventable steps and actions that lead him to a position of uncontested power and cruelty. Each of those steps is worth keeping in mind and drawing parallels to if there are similarities in actions and goals at that time (not necessarily being gas chambers)

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Somaen posted:

Please stop posting increasingly long paragraphs of drivel

The gas chambers Hitler grew out of smaller Hitlers, the small ones took inreasingly bold preventable steps and actions that lead him to a position of uncontested power and cruelty. Each of those steps is worth keeping in mind and drawing parallels to if there are similarities in actions and goals at that time (not necessarily being gas chambers)

Okay, so will you say that Tsars like Nicky pervovo were also Hitler? They did wars of conquest and also had irredentism.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Stalin was Hitler

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Somebody needs to stop little Hitler Joe Biden before he turns into big Hitler

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You know who else started out writing paragraphs of drivel

That's right: Hitler

Discendo Vox posted:

They're not smaller and smaller circles, VitalSigns, it's just you not understanding the comparison and doubling down.

Nah there's dozens of more accurate comparisons from the long history of nationalist figures all over the world but nobody wants to talk about say Bismarck or Garibaldi or Catherine the Great or James Polk comparisons because it's much easier to just call everyone Hitler.

Plus a dash of the usual nationalist hypocrisy that Chomsky talks about. When they do it it's terrorism when we do it it's counterterrorism. When they do it it's Hitler's first steps, when we do it it's "preemptive self-defense"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 8, 2021

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pls henceforth spell it Gitler at least

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
It's me, I was the Hitler all along. Sorry about the confusion.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Stalin was Hitler

Hitler was Stalin's evil clone, created by Sigmund Freud's experimental serum in 1913 in Vienna. Trotzky and Tito sabotaged the formula, with unexpected results.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Hitler was Stalin's evil clone, created by Sigmund Freud's experimental serum in 1913 in Vienna. Trotzky and Tito sabotaged the formula, with unexpected results.

Somewhat less evil, way better mustache?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m about to derail this with the Russian TV clown who presented plan to occupy Baltics and Gotland today if y’all don’t stop being Hitlers of posting on bulletin boards.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m about to derail this with the Russian TV clown who presented plan to occupy Baltics and Gotland today if y’all don’t stop being Hitlers of posting on bulletin boards.

lol

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Smeef posted:

This does remind me that a if Russia invades the rest of Ukraine and the US takes action, it will probably be more in the form of the Soviet-Afghan War than a direct confrontation. I know it's probably a poor analogy given all the differences in the situations, but then again Andrew Jackson has made an appearance in the last page or two.

nah, it's the analogy Russia's foreign policy peeps used the last time this came up https://eng.globalaffairs.ru/articles/how-to-avoid-second-afganistan/

gotta wait til the end of the month to see if they've changed their mind though

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

VitalSigns posted:

Salvaging the Hitler analogy by drawing smaller and smaller circles circumscribing what made Hitler bad and wiggling around the stuff that everyone else does.

It's not the holocaust that was so bad about Hitler because Putin isn't doing that, it's not killing hundreds of millions in a megalomaniacal final struggle to rule the world because he isn't doing that either, it's the invading other countries oh but not the actual invasions and terror bombings and the civilian casualties that all the Great Powers are doing all over the middle east and Africa, it's the territorial annexation part and only that (lighting a candle for the six million hectares annexed in the holocaust)

Oh but not the territorial annexation that all our national heroes did either, that was all before 1930, it's doing an annexation after 1930 that's what makes you Hitler. Oh except in 1945 of course one-time annexation pass.

That's why Hitler was so bad, strictly and only his territorial annexations after 1930 but not in 1945, and 2021 is after 1930 and isn't 1945 so it's Hitler reborn you Hitlers

Shut the gently caress up

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Back to reality:

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1468612822343028741

Putin has been greenlit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Somaen posted:

Biden? Tiny Hitler.
Bush? Medium Hitler.
Hitler? Big Hitler.