Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Orv posted:

Max summons, both knights and players, Ivory King takes fifteen years to do but it's so much fun.

For sure

:darksouls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

covetous demon's weird gross skin and body is much harder for me to look at than 1,000 decayed corpses stuffed together

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ivory King fight is by far the most ins anely anime Dark Souls encounter ever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Phobophilia posted:

Fume knight is way easier than Alonne. He's very slow and fairly predictable. I've been doing a ton of co-oping with him to farm sunlight medals, and it is possible to avoid some of his attacks without even rolling. He's kind of like Nameless King, except without the agonizing delay on his attacks.

Fume Knight is easy if you have enough agility, but at least you might have to actually dodge his patterns, literally all I had to do for Alonne was walk circles around him and then hit him a couple times when he whiffed an attack.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Gael is pretty anime and also possibly the best boss fight in any game ever?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Out of DS2, Sir Alonne, Fume Knight and Ivory King are my favourites. If I had to pick my favourite of all three Dark Souls... tied between Sir Alonne, Gael and Lord of Cinders.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Gotta love Sir Weeabo's special animation when you beat him without taking a single hit.

Fume Knight, I'm a dirty cheater. To this day I still get confused and caught by his first phase, so I just equip Velstadt's helmet so that he goes straight into phase 2.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

making another attempt to finish this one because its the only one i havent yet. just finished the skeleton lord boss and i know this game loves to throw giant waves of dudes at you but what the gently caress.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 6, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ASenileAnimal posted:

making another attempt to finish this one because its the only one i havent yet. just finished the skeleton lord boss and i know this game loves to throw giant waves of dudes at you but what the gently caress.

Lords is easy if you only kill one lord at a time. Lol that they added more dudes to it for SOTFS though

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

skasion posted:

Lords is easy if you only kill one lord at a time. Lol that they added more dudes to it for SOTFS though

i beat it on my first try but it took forever. i had to isolate the lords and do hit and run dash attacks because it was just a blob of like 20 skeletons. also my weapon broke and i had to run around and mess with the menu to equip another one mid fight.

ive only played sotfs does the fight end if you take out the first 3 dudes in the original? cause i still had to take out the giant mob of skeletons after i killed them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

i beat it on my first try but it took forever. i had to isolate the lords and do hit and run dash attacks because it was just a blob of like 20 skeletons. also my weapon broke and i had to run around and mess with the menu to equip another one mid fight.

ive only played sotfs does the fight end if you take out the first 3 dudes in the original? cause i still had to take out the giant mob of skeletons after i killed them.

Nah, you have to drain the whole health bar which requires killing everyone

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Ok. Fume Knight down. Getting my rear end handed to me by Allone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've done the no getting hit by Alonne once and was with a shield raised up all the time. For some reason my brain got into defensive mode and rolled perfectly during the entire encounter, not needing the shield at all.

I do the same with Fume Knight, raise a shield and do better rolling than just having it on my back.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dark Souls raises so many questions about the mind and how we prepare for and execute things. Its never a matter of if you can, we can all surely beat everything in the game, even to the point of no-hitting bosses. Its being able to maintain the focus thats difficult, its within yourself, nothing to do with the game at all.

I play a ton of darts and its the same thing. I can throw a 180 for fun, but being able to do it consistently, when it counts, is where the challenge lies. You are playing yourself more than anything else. I think part of what makes DS feel so easy to me is a) I'm never afraid and b) I know if I fail, its only my own fault. I need to remember those two things and apply it to my darts philosophy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I had a hilarious invasion recently at Brightstone Cove, right as I was about to close out a new game cycle and murder all the NPCs to acrue Sin. I was chatting with Ornifex and in comes a red. I win most of the opening encounter and they retreat next to Ornifex in hopes that I would agro them. I'm using an estoc and this does not work. For their trouble I gave them the "no way" emote.

And joke's on them I was going to kill Ornifex anyway.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Phobophilia posted:

Nameless King is up there.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

2 is my favorite but 3 is infinitely more anime in every regard

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Invaders are red,
Sentinels are blue.
Nashandra is dead,
But she's still my waifu.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Phobophilia posted:

And joke's on them I was going to kill Ornifex anyway.

Mean, birdweirdo doesn't even have any loot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FishMcCool posted:

Invaders are red,
Sentinels are blue.
Nashandra is dead,
But she's still my waifu.

She might be a creature born of the Dark, but Vendrick loved her anyway.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Why are most royalty in DS so tall?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oldstench posted:

I like to think that the events of the Soulses are being presented to us as simulacra, like a legend being told, and the size of a figure represents how weighty or important they were to the legend, kind of like e.g. how figures are represented in ancient Egyptian art.

Plus on a video game level it makes them feel more threatening and intimidating

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I like to think that the events of the Soulses are being presented to us as simulacra

I swear, if Ubisoft ends up acquiring the Souls franchise and retcon it into a Assassin Creed animus sequence, I'll hunt you down for having caused it with this post and I won't release you until you 100% every single ubi open world. :argh:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

FishMcCool posted:

I swear, if Ubisoft ends up acquiring the Souls franchise and retcon it into a Assassin Creed animus sequence, I'll hunt you down for having caused it with this post and I won't release you until you 100% every single ubi open world. :argh:

lmao I've never played an AssCreed, what does simulacra mean in that game

e: Ah I see. If From retcons the soulses into an asscreed animus sequence I will take full credit and laugh all the way to my grave

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 9, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Big souls=big mans

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You can’t actually control historical figures in a video game, that would be silly. What you’re actually controlling is modern day people who have a magic machine which allows them to control historical figures

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

It's 2D Final Fantasy scaling in a 3D game

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Oldstench posted:

It makes it easier to read their tells.

Also it's cool to beat a big dude.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

In AC games, you don't actually play as the interesting historical character. You are some modern days secret society cult member reviving past events through the eyes of the interesting character via a magical VR machine. And the games love to remind you of that every time the historical plot gets interesting, by suddenly switching you to the modern day character which needs to take a break from the simulation.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

skasion posted:

You can’t actually control historical figures in a video game, that would be silly. What you’re actually controlling is modern day people who have a magic machine which allows them to control historical figures

Ah of course!

Perhaps all video games are asscreed simulacra...

e:

FishMcCool posted:

In AC games, you don't actually play as the interesting historical character. You are some modern days secret society cult member reviving past events through the eyes of the interesting character via a magical VR machine. And the games love to remind you of that every time the historical plot gets interesting, by suddenly switching you to the modern day character which needs to take a break from the simulation.
Ah gotcha, thanks!

I'm taking copious notes to forward on to my uncle who works at From

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Oldstench posted:

They play by Warhammer Orc rules - the older and more powerful you are, the bigger you grow.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Perhaps all video games are asscreed simulacra...

At least, they have the decency to not tell us!

I'm taking copious notes to forward on to my uncle who works at From

I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE! :psyduck:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

axolotl farmer posted:

Mean, birdweirdo doesn't even have any loot.

All NPCs drop Sin, and Sin allows you to get invaded by blue spirits.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my idiot nephew keeps sending me, hidetaka miyazaki, all these boneheaded ideas for making my games worse

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

skasion posted:

Big souls=big mans

YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE SOULS!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR SOULS!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Oldstench posted:

for the curse of life is the curse of want

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Vendrick is probably a non-pygmy. You're all the same race, but you're a pygmy if you have a piece of fugitive pygmy Velka's dark soul. Nashandra is a piece of mutant Manus so I guess she breaks the rules and is just big. Vendrick was susceptible to the undead curse though, but I'm not sure why.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Guys, I think some people are just tall.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I’m 6’1 and that’s exactly how I feel when I’m around some mutant freak whose 6’3