Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
How can you be so stupid as to drive a car

Don't you know how dangerous that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Walrus posted:

I only have so much sympathy. I'm sorry. There are too many horrible things in the world and too many people to feel bad for people who read the sign that says YOU WILL DIE IF YOU DO THIS and then do it. I have sympathy for their families and loved ones and anyone who had to watch it happen.

Yeah, yikes to both then. Made a bad assumption based on so many summers in yellowstone seeing so many dumb people.

and yet despite my just-learned-of-hubris my first reaction is 'they probably weren't being bear safe', mostly because I myself need to be able to sleep in the wilderness. shout out to the fuckin whatever it was that left a sun bleached moose bone right outside my tent overnight this summer.

I mean, that's fair, you do you, but I think it's a shame to cut off sympathy, especially when you don't really know what's going on with someone.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Each and every person who makes the attempt believes, in their heart of hearts, that they are tough and strong and good enough to make the climb but also will be the first one to finally gently caress that mountain.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Would they let them, gently caress the mountain?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Buddy, they don't even let you gently caress ON the mountain

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I don't see why anyone would want to climb mountains.

Aw gently caress I want to climb mountains.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Would they let them, gently caress the mountain?

Only the best climber gets to.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

have you seen how ecologically devastated everest is? weve ALL hosed that mountain

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Just fuckin' ice and climbing boots everywhere the native flora and fauna is hosed

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

ante posted:

How can you be so stupid as to drive a car

Don't you know how dangerous that is

I don't drive a car. Check. Mate!

(due to crippling mental health that will probably kill me instead)

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Paper Lion posted:

have you seen how ecologically devastated everest is? weve ALL hosed that mountain

I’ve said it before but in this thread, but when I got my oculus one of the first things I did was watch the VR Everest video they kept advertising me.

You look around in and there is trash everywhere on that mountain. It’s been hosed for sure

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Someone's probably brought it up but has anyone else seen 14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible on Netflix? It's about a Nepalese mountaineer and former Gurkha who, with a few buddies and some funding he raised himself in the west, scaled every single 8,000-meter-plus peak in the space of about half a year. An absolutely insane accomplishment considering the last person to do it took like 14 years or something. I also really enjoyed the idea of the Nepalese getting some of the glory back after years of hauling useless westerners and their endless oxygen and tools up and down these mountains. I don't think anyone is going to be able to surpass that accomplishment anytime soon.

Everest was pretty much the easiest one apart from the crowds, and they actually took that one photo that went viral of insanely crowded lead lines leading to the summit there.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Thanks for the recommendation, I've now watched the docu and while it is nice and good I think they focused too little on the climbing aspect, some mountains they did was just, "Oh yeah we did this peak as well, moving on..."

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The Alpinist is apparently also a new movie about climbing, available on Netflix. Haven't seen it.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I'm getting older and more politically cynical, so the whole time they are showing the "likes" ticking up on Nims's Instagram plea to let China let him climb Shishapangma, and then he is allowed, I was wondering what quid pro quo China got for that. Because I somehow doubt Instagram likes melted the hearts of those in charge of Nepal-China geopolitics as the movie wants us to believe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Play posted:

Someone's probably brought it up but has anyone else seen 14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible on Netflix?

Yeah we were just talking about it, you'll def find some chatter about it if you scroll back. It's a good film, lots of solid footage.

I don't know if comparing it to Messner really holds up, he wasn't exactly trying to do them back to back, and the support infrastructure has changed completely in the last 20 years. But yeah it's a hell of an accomplishment, there's probably only a handful people in the world right now who could pull that off, and four of them are in that film (Nims is clearly the driving force of the film, but I find it odd that few written reviews include Mingma David, Galjen, and Gesman who I think did all 14 right along with him? David I'm almost certain did). And it's very cool that the focus is squarely on the Nepalese team.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

busalover posted:

The Alpinist is apparently also a new movie about climbing, available on Netflix. Haven't seen it.

It's a good one. Talks about Marc-André free solo ascents and free solo alpine ascents with beautiful mountain views. How he shies away from press and just goes out there and does it mostly alone. Highly recommend.

e: added free

Dead Nerve fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 9, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah we were just talking about it, you'll def find some chatter about it if you scroll back. It's a good film, lots of solid footage.

I don't know if comparing it to Messner really holds up, he wasn't exactly trying to do them back to back, and the support infrastructure has changed completely in the last 20 years. But yeah it's a hell of an accomplishment, there's probably only a handful people in the world right now who could pull that off, and four of them are in that film (Nims is clearly the driving force of the film, but I find it odd that few written reviews include Mingma David, Galjen, and Gesman who I think did all 14 right along with him? David I'm almost certain did). And it's very cool that the focus is squarely on the Nepalese team.

I was only comparing it to Messner in that he's the only other person to have ever done that in any amount of time, if I'm not mistaken? So yeah, Messner was not specifically going for a time limit but at the same time he is still the previous record holder. In a lot of ways (oxygen, sherpa support, infrastructure, etc.) the two things are completely different they are only the same in that he was the last one to climb them all.

Unless I misunderstood.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

value-brand cereal posted:

If you mean Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite by Michael P. Ghiglieri, Charles R. Farabee, then it kind of is. I found a pdf with actual text and not just lousy image scans of the pages. But alas, it's filez 😐 But it is out there if you don't mind 'internet borrowing' it until a physical purchased copy arrives.

The Best Sentences In Off The Wall: Death In Yosemite

quote:

“Knowing how the falls had received their picturesque name, however, did nothing to help the two soggy lovebirds from becoming one with this natural phenomenon.”

“He was a ‘popular’ student at the University of California. With social success often comes confidence, perhaps even over-confidence. Whether any connection exists between this and his next decision remains conjecture.”

“The girls looked around and decided that this photo was too tame.”

“Amazingly, it looked like the two were going to make it back onto the bank at the very last second before shooting over the edge. But no.”

“This is not to belittle the last doomed efforts of these martyrs, nor is it intended to discourage well-planned rescue attempts in the future. Instead, our pointing out that many rescues having resulted in double fatalities with no one being saved is a neon warning sign to those who would attempt such efforts in cold fast-flowing water, especially above a lethal waterfall.”

“He belatedly and suddenly recognized the peril.”

“I finally caught a glimpse of a small splotch of pink. It sat wedged at least four feet deep in a shadowy, eighteen-inch-wide crevice. Our luck had just turned. With the hook on the long pike, I finally was able to snare the body and tug it out by hand.”

“Maybe it was the lost kid’s body. Indeed it was. But the body greeted them weakly with a ‘hello.'”

“Maybe ‘slipped’ is putting it mildly.”

“He saw her, still on her back and apparently lulled herself, drifting along with the current toward the lip of Nevada Fall. He scrambled to his feet and rushed downstream. But too late. She floated serenely over the waterfall.”

“Snow is cold enough to kill.”

“Maybe computer video games have replaced the wilderness as a provider of fulfilling challenges.”

“The difference in elevation seemed to melt away — as did the butt of his new Levis jeans as he slid down the rough granite.”

“The two discussed this tactic and somehow agreed that leaping into this tree made sense.”

“He must have been engaged in moving his second safety anchor precisely at the moment when his partner detached the first one in error. It was an almost unbelievable case of incredibly bad timing.”

“Is it because the real world is so much more demanding to challenge than a computer game is?”

“Nod off for an instant and die.”

“Revealingly, every one of these fatal mistakes was made by a male — no woman in Yosemite is known to have shortcutted and paid for it with her life.”

“A solo hiker often has a fool for a companion.”

“It was only later that we learned this teenager had lit the damned fire himself.”

“He had walked right off of the sloping rock into nothing but fog and had fallen almost 400 feet.”

“A cry from inside the plane.”

“He obliged by hopping up and down and spreading his arms out over the water with even more exaggeration of a comical mishap about to happen. As he again pretended to fall, he actually did fall into the river and shoot over the falls into that very long drop into eternity.”

“After December 10, he had nothing left to eat except salted water.”

“Night fell. So did the temperature.”

“He bounced repeatedly into the cliff.”

“And what’s left of him is still out there.”

“Instead of dead bodies we ultimately recovered more than a ton of high-grade marijuana.”

“The two live BASE jumpers went to jail. Meanwhile, he went to the morgue.”

“She hit so hard her impact sounded like a sonic boom. It sounded shockingly explosive — so loud ‘it set off alarms of the cars parked at the Meadow.'”

“The only thing we found that was alive was a cinnamon teal duck I spotted that had been forced down onto the ground by the storm. I placed the duck in my front pocket.”

“It now dangled off her face by a thread of skin.”

“When finally confronted by frustrated (a mild term considering their actual condition) Park investigators, he cavalierly announced that the prospect of fatherhood had terrified him and he had wanted out…His plan to vanish off the face of the Earth via Yosemite’s backcountry to escape a spouse or the duties of fatherhood by “dying” and to then begin a new life elsewhere was neither an original thought nor even an original plan of action.”

“In short, we have become what would be referred to in biology as a domesticated species.”

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wow that's very mean spirited. Is the Yellowstone book like that? I already ordered it off amazon :(

edit: different author so I hope not

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I feel like the Yellowstone one is kinda finger waggy about stuff but not as mean as that, wow. I am only up to the second? chapter though.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
“A solo hiker often has a fool for a companion.” Lame adaptation of "A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client." Are you calling the breeze and the squirrels fools?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no, those things aren't hikers.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ha ha nice! They found a ton of marijuana!!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I was halfway through this post wondering what the hell this Alan Ginsberg wannabe scatterbrained bullshit was and why everybody is praising it. Then I realized it's a collection of quotes and not a single passage.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Play posted:

I was only comparing it to Messner in that he's the only other person to have ever done that in any amount of time, if I'm not mistaken? So yeah, Messner was not specifically going for a time limit but at the same time he is still the previous record holder. In a lot of ways (oxygen, sherpa support, infrastructure, etc.) the two things are completely different they are only the same in that he was the last one to climb them all.

Unless I misunderstood.

A quick Wiki read says 44 people have climbed all 14 peaks. Messner was the first.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Strongly recommend The Alpinist (on Netflix). Just go in cold and be prepared for the guy that Alex Honnold thinks is insane

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Strongly recommend The Alpinist (on Netflix). Just go in cold and be prepared for the guy that Alex Honnold thinks is insane

Alex Honnold thinks he’s nuts?

Well now I gotta watch it.

Or we’ll try. I could not get through Honnold’s free climb movie.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Fwiw I think The Alpinist is shot more intensely. A lot of the shots as he's climbing are from directly above, looking down at him so you can see his tiny points of contact to the face and the full drop below him as he free solos. I never normally mind heights, but that was a lot. If you couldn't get through Free Solo, this one is more of everything imo.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Kamrat posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I've now watched the docu and while it is nice and good I think they focused too little on the climbing aspect, some mountains they did was just, "Oh yeah we did this peak as well, moving on..."

Yeah I really liked the docu mainly for giving Nepalese climbers the credit they finally deserve, but it was a little frustrating that they pretty much breezed past the actual mountain climbing. Only really the bottleneck on K2 and the queues on Everest got a real mention. I wish Annapurna got more attention seeing as it's like the most deadly one.

That said, the whole thing was crazy and summiting Everest, Lhotse and Makalu in 48 hours was loving insane.

Edit: I really like this short film about summiting Gasherbrum II, it's very intense -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OBX25ix4eU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Wow, people really are crazy, summiting an 8k peak in winter is something I didn't expect people would attempt.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Alpinist good. One thing I noticed after watching it and looking into the dudes career was that he did the Patagonia winter ascent before his “disappeared and showed up on Mt Robson” bit. The documentary definitely frames it as him being roped into filming Patagonia for the movie after loving off for a while. Weird choice but I guess it just makes for a more compelling story.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

I read Death in Yosemite and Shadow Divers and watched 14 and the Alpinest this week in an adventure media frenzy.

Death in Yosemite: very good! I was worried about the ghoulish seeming quotes earlier in the thread but I'd have to say that overall they handled the subject respectfully. Lots of successful rescue stories too and it's really interesting to see what made the differences between the two whether skill, luck, planning, etc.

Shadow Divers: Great! The interspersed historical flashback chapters can drag a bit but there still a lot of good stuff in them.

14: Great story and cinematography. An easy fun watch. But way too little focus on the actual climbing. Dunno the right movie words, but it seemed more of a character and reax focused documentary. Which is fine, but I think it could've been shot/edited a lot better.

The Alpinest: Excellent, it's a must watch. I loved everything about it. Great people, story, footage, emotion, points for contemplation, relatability, etc. Don't read spoilers, just roll it.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Laopooh posted:

I read Death in Yosemite and Shadow Divers and watched 14 and the Alpinest this week in an adventure media frenzy.

Death in Yosemite: very good! I was worried about the ghoulish seeming quotes earlier in the thread but I'd have to say that overall they handled the subject respectfully. Lots of successful rescue stories too and it's really interesting to see what made the differences between the two whether skill, luck, planning, etc.

Shadow Divers: Great! The interspersed historical flashback chapters can drag a bit but there still a lot of good stuff in them.

14: Great story and cinematography. An easy fun watch. But way too little focus on the actual climbing. Dunno the right movie words, but it seemed more of a character and reax focused documentary. Which is fine, but I think it could've been shot/edited a lot better.

The Alpinest: Excellent, it's a must watch. I loved everything about it. Great people, story, footage, emotion, points for contemplation, relatability, etc. Don't read spoilers, just roll it.

I can't speak to the books but this matches my thoughts of these two films. What Nims did in 14 Peaks is such a tremendous achievement but parts of the movie are like, "then they climbed three more mountains" and I couldn't help but think "wow, I wish they showed some footage of that."

The Alpinist is excellent through and through.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm watching the alpinist right now and this is terrifying.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Laopooh posted:

The Alpinist: Excellent, it's a must watch. I loved everything about it. Great people, story, footage, emotion, points for contemplation, relatability, etc. Don't read spoilers, just roll it.

Honestly since 'Dear Zachary' I'm never watching a documentary unspoiled again. Don't look it up, it's a bummer. I like to know going in if someone dies or whatever.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

honda whisperer posted:

I'm watching the alpinist right now and this is terrifying.

I just watched it and it was very good.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

HopperUK posted:

Honestly since 'Dear Zachary' I'm never watching a documentary unspoiled again. Don't look it up, it's a bummer. I like to know going in if someone dies or whatever.

Yeah that's fair. I just read about Dear Zachary and I'm glad I don't have to see the film now. That's some painful stuff.

I think with The Alpinist you can kind of expect what was coming. His life was beautiful and the movie was poignant and uplifting despite the sad ending.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
A couple of things have been rattling around in my head since I watched The Alpinist yesterday.

The narrative briefly discussed Leclerc's good decision to abandon his first attempt at Torre Egger, before moving on to detail his successful second attempt. But they glossed over the (IMO) recklessness of making an immediate and unplanned second attempt, during an even shorter weather window and with all the fatigue and minor injuries from the first attempt and the blizzard survival. I knew nothing about Leclerc going into the movie, but while the narrative was focused on his success that decision immediately made me think "this guy's going to run out of luck".

Secondly, I was getting a bad feeling from the beginning of the Mendenhall climb because the narrative had stressed how Leclerc always climbs alone. The mental/technical process is obviously much different with another person, and to attempt a very challenging first climb while factoring in this additional risk and uncertainty gave me bad vibes right from the beginning. It left me wondering if the avalanche was just Leclerc's luck running out, or if he made a mistake, or if his partner did, or if the avalanche was triggered by Leclerc not being experienced with climbing as part of a team.

Leclerc was clearly an extraordinarily gifted climber but it's clear that he should have been lowering his risk tolerance as the mountains and the stakes grew higher. Maybe a person with that kind of drive and passion just isn't able to pull back from the knife's edge? It was a fascinating story and although I was expecting something awful to happen, that last video of Leclerc on the Mendenhall summit was still hard to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

FistEnergy posted:

A couple of things have been rattling around in my head since I watched The Alpinist yesterday.

The narrative briefly discussed Leclerc's good decision to abandon his first attempt at Torre Egger, before moving on to detail his successful second attempt. But they glossed over the (IMO) recklessness of making an immediate and unplanned second attempt, during an even shorter weather window and with all the fatigue and minor injuries from the first attempt and the blizzard survival. I knew nothing about Leclerc going into the movie, but while the narrative was focused on his success that decision immediately made me think "this guy's going to run out of luck".

Secondly, I was getting a bad feeling from the beginning of the Mendenhall climb because the narrative had stressed how Leclerc always climbs alone. The mental/technical process is obviously much different with another person, and to attempt a very challenging first climb while factoring in this additional risk and uncertainty gave me bad vibes right from the beginning. It left me wondering if the avalanche was just Leclerc's luck running out, or if he made a mistake, or if his partner did, or if the avalanche was triggered by Leclerc not being experienced with climbing as part of a team.

Leclerc was clearly an extraordinarily gifted climber but it's clear that he should have been lowering his risk tolerance as the mountains and the stakes grew higher. Maybe a person with that kind of drive and passion just isn't able to pull back from the knife's edge? It was a fascinating story and although I was expecting something awful to happen, that last video of Leclerc on the Mendenhall summit was still hard to watch.

100% agree with this had the exact same thought when they were running through his climb rules - not having any method to communicate with the outside world. 'Well, one day he's going to die to exposure with a broken leg then.'

I mean, that wasn't the case on the final climb, since he and the oher climber both had phones and were sending people videos/messages. But did the docco mention if they had locator beacons in the case of an avalanche? It doesn't state if they do or not. If they did, the search for their bodies would have been much simpler, right? If you go climbing in country like that, without those basic and widely used safety tools, then poo poo like this is going to happen. That's the choice they made, that was the risk they thought was acceptable and n must eventually equal 1.