Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Omicron is mild" is "It's the flu bro" but for Democrats.

It's great for me personally that it's mild. Sucks rear end for the unvaccinated 4-year-old I spread it to because Open Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

"but america still rated best country prepared for a pandemic in 2022.jpg"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
*in room with Number, lined up on the wall with everyone else*

"don't move, its vision is based on movement"
*one person tries to run out of the room, gets vaporized immediately by Number*
"oh man oh god oh man"
coworker:]"You know what you have to tell it, you brought this thing in here with us with your doomer talk" :mad:
"cmon man look at the charts, the stats and fa-"
*Number indiscriminately vaporizes another person on the line up*
coworker:]"Tell it what it wants to hear NOW before it kills us all!" :tizzy:

Ok ok ok ok! *Number whirrs ominously towards the direction of the voice*

*sighs wearily* it's mild, everything is open biden, 10% off applebees, let's succ n fucc

*Number is quiet. tension rises. Number instantly vaporizes me then flies straight up out of the room breaking the glass dome*

coworker: Huh, number went up.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Palladium posted:

"but america still rated best country prepared for a pandemic in 2022.jpg"

china is now less prepared because of their failure to allow covid to become endemic

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Frosted Flake posted:

There was a week in early 2020 where it looked like they were going to do something, if you know what I mean. Just to speak in generalities, there were meetings with General Dynamics, BAE, various government and defence contractors, estimates on their capacity, tooling, poo poo like that [...] I thought there was going to be a crash program to build ventilators or something. Maybe I was grasping at straws and she’s just really interested in Lend-Lease. I got the sense there was this massive effort underway to mobilize Canadian industry - but then nothing happened.

Not rhetorically, what would industry's contribution have been and, knowing what we know now about vents, how much would this have actually helped?

I'm not convinced that increasing production of anything would have mitigated the crisis unless we're talking about dedicated quarantine/ hospital facilities. You still have to get people to wear masks, you still have to have sick people for ventilators to work.

Frosted Flake posted:

Needless to say, reading this thread is really disconcerting, similar to how I had to take a break from the Doomsday Econ thread because I’m married to an economist. I’m not trying to make this an E/N issue, only saying that I don’t understand if the state and media are pretending everything is fine or if they genuinely believe it.

tl;dr - Even if the disease did become less deadly eventually, I don’t understand not acting now, and I especially don’t understand the 70 hour weeks, emergency briefings, research papers and everything else that went into doing nothing.

Does that make sense? It was a tremendous amount of work to do nothing but project calm and optimism.

:canada:

Thank you for this very interesting post. Your questions make complete sense and trying to track internal decision making processes from incomplete information is a fun endeavor.

My read on it is that once they realized several overlapping problems they figured it was better not to waste resources. They could not (and cannot) politically enforce a lockdown strict enough to stop the spread (thanks in no small part to right wing political agitation and without your glorious southern neighbor to hold your hands through the process), they realized this was a multi year problem with significant unknowns so better not to shoot their wad on retooling production so early, and doing too much might cause ~mass panic~, which modern governments clearly fear. And even in the early days im not sure if governments would've thought they could produce their way out of the crisis.

Aside from the production aspects... well, smarter people than us are in those rooms. Once it was clear that trump would let a pandemic run rampant during an already-tense election year, it's entirely possible that they were more focused on propaganda and surveillance than the virus. What was really the threat last year?

This is obviously missing pieces and I'm curious to hear other takes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

facetoucher cat posted:

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1468724031520129024?s=20

I think all kids should be taught sign language to supplement any perceived communication gaps

why is there the pepsi logo in the background

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Covid for the most part doesn't spread via smear transmission so handling old masks isn't an issue for covid like it is ebola

PPE rules were written for an ebola type outbreak where smear transmission was a problem, so hospitals would throw out 2-3 N95 per worker per day, especially in the first six months

Unless someone vomits blood on you, you can wear an N95 for a day or two no problem, effectiveness drops after 20-80 hours of use but not that much

In the early days of the pandemic we were pregnant and had a limited supply of N95 masks, we used ours for weeks for grocery shopping etc

Thank you for the info!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Hungry posted:

Hypernormalisation.

For a brief period in March 2020, the governments of the capitalist, neoliberal world were engaging with actual material reality. Then the systems involved realised that nothing needed to be done to avoid rapid collapse, so hypernormalisation reasserted itself. Governments will continue to engage with this fictional reality until it becomes materially impossible. What could cause that? gently caress knows at this point.

They think that; they keep loving around, they're gonna be wrong in the worst way.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

actionjackson posted:

I got an idea, and hear me, just stay with me

Maybe we end in person classes until we get rid of covid, then we won't have issues with masks and learning!

Nah, that was a stupid idea, cripple and kill them kids. It's pronounced mim O sa, not mimo SA

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Dren posted:

you said it’s your partner who is involved in all this, why the hell are you asking us?

Tracing internal decisionmaking processes from this kind of thing is cool and good. You can actually find out some crazy poo poo

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PostNouveau posted:

"Omicron is mild" is "It's the flu bro" but for Democrats.

It's great for me personally that it's mild. Sucks rear end for the unvaccinated 4-year-old I spread it to because Open Biden

This still assumes there's any truth at all to the claim it's mild. There's no evidence to support that, at least so far, so it's literally the same as "just the flu, bro."

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

McCracAttack posted:

I actually had the same reaction at first. I had to wear them all day to realize their secret power which is they feel exactly the same after 9 hours as they do when you first put them on.

My beef with them is I feel like I have to constantly adjust the chin part because it slips up if I talk.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Morning (Global News Calgary) news says Omicron appears less deadly than delta. Amazing they have to learn deaths are a lagging indicator with every wave.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

facetoucher cat posted:

Need advice and I'm not even sure what thread this would go into

There's a dude living in a tent behind us a little bit into the woods. A few times he's had a small fire and I get it, it can get cold. My concern is until this week there wasn't any substantial rain for almost a solid month and it was nonstop fire alerts on my phone. There's also not a natural water source nearby he could use to extinguish his fire, we're on a mountain ridge

I'm thinking of possibly going down there with a 10 gallon bucket of water, a bit of food, some paper cash, toiletries, and if I can convince my husband to let me a subzero sleeping bag, then if he's receptive telling him he can use my outside water spigot

I'm not going to tell any authorities he's there or anything like that

How bad of an idea do you think it would be to do what I've described? He's never bothered us and I don't even hear that he's down there. I just occasionally see him going into the woods with grocery bags and can see the fires and his tent a bit more clearly now that the leaves dropped

I totally realize that just bc someone is living in a tent doesn't mean they're bad folks but the likelihood of a person who is unhoused having mental health issues is definitely higher due to a multitude of reasons

All I can think of is if that was me I'd want some compassion but I also know if I get off my meds bad things can happen

Should I find a local outreach program instead? There are several in this town but I don't want them to alert the authorities, I don't know if they would or not

It's 34°f right now. It can't be comfortable :(

if you want to give him stuff don't go there in person. leave it somewhere he will find it and leave a note

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Hadlock posted:

I think smallpox in north american Indians + Aztecs may have been more widespread? 50% mortality rate would imply something like 51%+ of the population had it within a 6 month period, maybe as high as 99%

percentage or per capita infection rates isn’t what is important when we’re talking "widespread" with regard to mutations

it’s literal quantity of viral copies being made, the sheer number of persons replicating random chance mutation. and covid is p well leagues ahead of any recent disease* at any given time.

* for a buncha disclaimers re malaria which is not the same and TB which is closer

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

uk update on omi cases:

https://twitter.com/UKHSA/status/1468951053903142913

that's 248 new cases in england, 1 in scotland

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington please take a bow.

Mr Hootington posted:

They are lying.

Mr Hootington posted:

Wow Pfizer is lying

Mr Hootington posted:

They are lying about the vaccines and boosters

Mr Hootington posted:

They are lying south the boosters

Mr Hootington posted:

They are lying to keep stock price up.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

I guess that’s where I’m getting stuck.

I have no idea what these reports and briefings concluded. It’s not 1940 anymore, maybe they couldn’t start making ventilators, masks or PPE on a crash basis. Certainly it took a while for distillers to begin making hand sanitizer, and I don’t know if that was state mobilization or 💫The Market✨ shifting production. I just feel as if you don’t pour over books on wartime emergency production if there’s no steps that can be taken. They studied an industrial response, and couldn’t have concluded it was impossible, right?

So does that mean that they believe it’s no big deal? Are all of these briefing notes opening with “COVID remains a marginal risk” - in which case any policy recommendations that follow are what you’d expect - or are they reading notes every day that stress the severity of the risk, presented with policy proposals based around that risk, and then… well, again, this is where I get stuck.

Someone mentioned the military earlier. Can you imagine going into Battle Procedure and then ignoring the analysis, or opting to low-ball any of the factors?

Speaking of, you’ll never guess what was added to the Reports and Returns binder this year:

i thought canadian military lifer who thought gungadin was a documentary being married to cato wife, was like a joke

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

You know, my initial take was that the percentage of long COVID was probably overestimated, but it is uh, disconcerting how many times I’ve casually heard of people having weird smell or taste after their infection. And that’s not even including those that probably have no idea of the damage until they do some routine blood testing or some poo poo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

actionjackson posted:

Partial Credit!

Marlow
Jan 11, 2007

Foreign dokaebi

I had a friend tell me she'd rather get Omicron then Delta and it took a lot of willpower not to respond with "don't worry, we're all going to get to sample both"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Crazyweasel posted:

You know, my initial take was that the percentage of long COVID was probably overestimated, but it is uh, disconcerting how many times I’ve casually heard of people having weird smell or taste after their infection. And that’s not even including those that probably have no idea of the damage until they do some routine blood testing or some poo poo.

I've seen the COVID and the damage done/
A little part of it in everyone/
But every brunch is like a setting sun
:smith:

Fetlife Kuli
Dec 8, 2021

The world moves on a marten's lips

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Morning (Global News Calgary) news says Omicron appears less deadly than delta. Amazing they have to learn deaths are a lagging indicator with every wave.

how dare you assume that the new variant will behave exactly like previous variants did?? covid will attenuate over time, we can't just say that deaths are a lagging indicator because that's not supported by the science

open biden

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Just absolutely loving the total radio silence on the fact that every single child in America that is under 5 years old is 100% naive to this thing.

Just outstanding.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Afraid of the nonexistent long term effects of the vaccine but not afraid of the very real and proven long term effects of the virus

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

one of my friends has entered "we're all gonna get it" mode .. like, dude you have an infant. wake up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I guess HR had some online COVID seminar yesterday, so she sent us all a copy of the slide deck. It's all garbage directed at the chuds who don't get vaxxed but I thought you guys would appreciate these slides:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gabagool posted:

one of my friends has entered "we're all gonna get it" mode .. like, dude you have an infant. wake up

well, going by my flight to maui there were parents wearing n95s w/ their babies/children unmasked/semi-masked so.......:coronatoot:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Want that Cheeto vaccine.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Crazyweasel posted:

consider all the people who don’t know they have Covid until they are forced to get a test for entrance to something

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cr0y posted:

Just absolutely loving the total radio silence on the fact that every single child in America that is under 5 years old is 100% naive to this thing.

Just outstanding.

Why do you hate America?

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

just put a surgical mask on top of your N95

it can't make the seal any worse, and people are dumb enough to think that all you're doing is layering-on MORE protection

putting another mask on top of it can affect the seal

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/49/e2110117118

quote:

Wearing an additional surgical mask on top of the adjusted FFP2 masks, case iii, seems to have an overall negative effect on the total inward leakage compared to case ii. The effect of double filtering is negligible, as the filtration efficacy of the FFP2 mask is already large ( >99.98% for particles of >0.3 μ m). A possible explanation for the decreased protection (increased inward leakage) could be that the additional pressure on the FFP2 mask caused by the surgical mask distorts the FFP2 mask and therefore causes new face seal leaks, or the increased breathing resistance leads to more leakage (67).

probably is different from mask to mask, I imagine

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

It ain't easy being cheesy (lunged).

I dunno. Needs work.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gabagool posted:

Its true but the question is will you get it one, two or three times in the next couple years.

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Gabagool posted:

Infant or not, he isn’t incorrect. That doesn’t mean you go looking for it, however.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gabagool posted:

This position is fairly nonsensical given that reinfection is absolutely a thing.

Don't really feel like getting slammed by COVID over and over until it kills me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

uk update on omi cases:

https://twitter.com/UKHSA/status/1468951053903142913

that's 248 new cases in england, 1 in scotland

But out of how many sequences? I assume they don't sequence every positive, so is this more like "10% of samples were omi" or "every single sample we tested were omi"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cloaked posted:

putting another mask on top of it can affect the seal

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/49/e2110117118

probably is different from mask to mask, I imagine

loving hell

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
In psychology and cognitive neuroscience, pattern recognition describes cognitive process that matches information from a stimulus with information retrieved from memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Paradoxish posted:

This position is fairly nonsensical given that reinfection is absolutely a thing.

Don't really feel like getting slammed by COVID over and over until it kills me.

Good thing about that is as you maintain your behavior, with every waves, your odds reduces over time as the population reduces and you'll have much more space in public