Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Guzwar posted:

What's the go-to method (if there is one) of painting marble without the dryer-sheet-airbrush method? Is it doable/difficult using just brushes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kMpDITE7b8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Fully recommend turbo dork paints. There color shift stuff is the poo poo.

I think this is mother of pearl

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do you brush them on or airbrush? I have mixed experiences with them, primarily airbrushing them. The metallics & shifting colors can be cool but it's hard to make a color scheme for a whole army using them IMO. Then having to brush it on to do touch-ups if you accidentally bleed color onto it is kind of annoying I thought.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are you thinning them for the airbrush?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yes. Takes quite a few coats too. At least with the colors I bought.

It was just doing the touch ups with a regular hair brush that I found difficult.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Oh, I'll try out those Turbo Dork ones. Pretty sure my FLGS is selling them 75% off

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hmm that could work. I also had the big brain idea of just calling the local art store I bought it at and asking what they may have in stock for this situation.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I love running a wash all over the model.

Though that's probably because it means all the base coating has been completed which feels like 90% of the time investment.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I love running a wash all over the model.

Though that's probably because it means all the base coating has been completed which feels like 90% of the time investment.

lol same. Its also like the most "gain" with the least effort.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

tangy yet delightful posted:

Anyone have a recommended supplier (not amazon) for decanting a 1L bottle of mineral spirits into a container that's easier to pour or squirt from? Trying to pour only a small amount from a giant bottle is messy.

edit: I say not amazon because I want to be sure the material won't melt from the mineral spirits.

Glass. Glass is the go to storage container for 99% of chemicals.

So to get liquid out without pouring you could use a turkey baster and then squirt it into a small glass container. A glass baster is probably best because you would only need to worry about the bulb weakening over time and not the tube part. After dispensing I would take the bulb off and let any residual solvent evaporate to prolong the bulb life.

For further fine use I would go with single use plastic pipettes. Low density polyelyene has good compatability with mineral spirits so it won't movie acid dissolve in your hands but it will fail eventually. Really if you test a material by submerging it for 10 min and it doesn't come out tacky it will be fine.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
If only there were some sort of metal, I don't know... can or something made for dispensing oil. They could call it an Oil Can.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Bucnasti posted:

If only there were some sort of metal, I don't know... can or something made for dispensing oil. They could call it an Oil Can.

Mineral spirits are a little different than mineral oil.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Thinning my paints with my Jerrycan of mineral spirits

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MasterBuilder posted:

Glass. Glass is the go to storage container for 99% of chemicals.

So to get liquid out without pouring you could use a turkey baster and then squirt it into a small glass container. A glass baster is probably best because you would only need to worry about the bulb weakening over time and not the tube part. After dispensing I would take the bulb off and let any residual solvent evaporate to prolong the bulb life.

For further fine use I would go with single use plastic pipettes. Low density polyelyene has good compatability with mineral spirits so it won't movie acid dissolve in your hands but it will fail eventually. Really if you test a material by submerging it for 10 min and it doesn't come out tacky it will be fine.

this

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Eej posted:

Thinning my paints with my Jerrycan of mineral spirits

You don’t use a 44 gallon drum?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Although I'd read mixed reviews here, I'd spoken to some painters on twitch and asked questions on Youtube, and many of them recommended the Scale 75 Metal'n'Alchemy sets so I went ahead an purchased the Steel series. I have to say, I'm actually really liking the paints, and I find the results to be very good now that I've had a bit of practice with them. I painted the two knights in the pics below (sword one was first, spear dude second) and found I got very solid results with my only ~6months of experience painting minis.

The paints themselves are quite thin out of the bottle so don't need any further thinning which is nice. The metals are basically for progressively lighter shades on the steel spectrum, while the alchemy paints are shades that can be applied over them to give them a colour tint if so desired. They can all be mixed pretty easily which is nice for getting between the shades.

As for negatives, there are a couple of downsides. The paints separate in the bottle very quickly, and even separate on my homemade wet pallet, and so do need a lot of mixing. Also, I've found if you start with a darker shade, it takes a lot more effort to lighten up the highlights using just the set paints than starting light and darkening down.

Overall though, I would still very highly recommend them. I feel like I'm getting a lot of quality out of them for someone who's at the beginner/intermediate level of painting.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Scale 75 metals are solid and I'd happily recommend them to people... except that Vallejo Metal Colour exists and is just by far the best metal paint that exists.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Our club army with a competition is starting to assemble. Mine is the bald guy. We where supposed to paint them in the club colors, and I think I managed to get the closet so far at least.

Club colors

Yes the club has a bar, 10 tables and people meet every Thursday to play wh40k, AoS, blood bowl, kill team and what have you :)

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 10, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

At least some of them are wearing their masks

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

At least some of them are wearing their masks

..we have a COVID pass check at the door and you need to have a mask when you leave the table. At the table you can remove it just as in a restaurant. This is in Europe. Everyone has masks.
Do you have anything else to say, like nice pictures? looks like fun?

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 10, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

MRLOLAST posted:

Our club army with a competition is starting to assemble. Mine is the bald guy. We where supposed to paint them in the club colors, and I think I managed to get the closet so far at least.

Club colors

Yes the club has a bar, 10 tables and people meet every Thursday to play wh40k, AoS, blood bowl, kill team and what have you :)

You definitely nailed the paint scheme! Nice work there.

Your only competition from a scheme perspective (although all the figures look pretty well-painted) is Dee over there on the left.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Thanks! Yeah Dee is a better painter than me. He did some awesome freehanded details.
I tried to instead of competing on painting quality to dip in to my bits box and customize instead to make it stand out.
Exited to see what the other 10+ competition contestants bring to the table.
I will take some pics once the entire bunch is on display.

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 10, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

..we have a COVID pass check at the door and you need to have a mask when you leave the table. At the table you can remove it just as in a restaurant. This is in Europe. Everyone has masks.
Do you have anything else to say, like nice pictures? looks like fun?

I'm glad that there are checks, yes. I'm honestly jealous at the opportunity you have there. Of course it looks like fun.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

That is a pretty cool competition. Looks really good given your rather garish color palette.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
definitely nailed the club colors. love those shades too.

edit: I've been agonising over the next steps for this display. If i want to have a nice green glow over everything, should I give everything in the white parts a very light coat of their true color and then spray a thin layer of green over it?

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 10, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

punishedkissinger posted:

edit: I've been agonising over the next steps for this display. If i want to have a nice green glow over everything, should I give everything in the white parts a very light coat of their true color and then spray a thin layer of green over it?

You can undershade, which would be my suggestion. Green light casts a red shadow, so if you give everything a faint reddish hue before you apply your green over the top it'll give it a more natural feel to the shadows.

An alternative would be to do your basetones, apply a red (or reddish-purple) wash to the recesses, and very carefully spray your green in the direction the light is traveling to keep it from hitting anything that should be shadowed.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 10, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can undershade, which would be my suggestion. Green light casts a red shadow, so if you give everything a faint reddish hue before you apply your green over the top it'll give it a more natural feel to the shadows.

An alternative would be to do your basetones, apply a red (or reddish-purple) wash to the recesses, and very carefully spray your green in the direction the light is traveling to keep it from hitting anything that should be shadowed.

You are the best! Thank you for always giving clear, actionable advice. You have not steered me wrong so far.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
As an afterthought: You'll probably want to keep the red somewhat muted, so a very dark red, or a reddish brown, or a reddish purple rather than a bright and vibrant red.

If your green is yellowish, I'd lean towards purple, but if it's not I'd probably go with a reddish-brown. This could change depending on what color you're doing your stonework.

Edit: If you're doing flat gray stonework I'd probably go with reddish-purple anyway since the stones should have cooler shadows, but if you're looking for a decent non-gray stone I like doing Zandri dust (or equivalent khaki) with a bone white overbrush (a bit heavier than a drybrush to catch all the raised edges, it's OK if it looks chalky, it should, it's rock!) and then giving everything an all-over black wash to gray everything out.

It's one of those tricks where the usual admonition not to let your wash pool doesn't apply, you want those stains and color variations. It gives the rock a very natural look.

And if you want the Khaki -> Bone White overbrush with no black wash makes a great sandstone look all on its own. That'd probably be a bit too bright for your scene, though.

Double-edit: I've got a few bases prepped, I'll see if I can't take a before and after photo after work.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 10, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I'd say that worked nicely. Ended up going back and airbrushing a little more red and then some pure black for the darkest parts. I think it looks pretty good. Thanks for the tips! I hope I did it right.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 10, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That looks totally rad!

Edit: There's two things about this I particularly love.
1) The circle of reddish shadow flows from the tree to the back wall and draws the eye naturally to the wizard. Intentional or not it's great visual storytelling.
2) 100% a trick of the light and shadow, but there's a big spooky face in the tree just above the skull pile and now you can't unsee it either.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 10, 2021

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

That looks totally rad!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

punishedkissinger posted:

I'd say that worked nicely. Ended up going back and airbrushing a little more red and then some pure black for the darkest parts. I think it looks pretty good. Thanks for the tips! I hope I did it right.

Holy poo poo this looks fantastic. Great job.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

PoptartsNinja posted:

That looks totally rad!

Edit: There's two things about this I particularly love.
1) The circle of reddish shadow flows from the tree to the back wall and draws the eye naturally to the wizard. Intentional or not it's great visual storytelling.
2) 100% a trick of the light and shadow, but there's a big spooky face in the tree just above the skull pile and now you can't unsee it either.

Thanks friend! I'm pretty happy with the composition overall I think it was fairly intentional that there are nice lines between the two figures, the tree mimics the posture of the lich etc. I'm glad that all came across.

The one thing I really like about this is that the bases of each model are magnetized so they're still completely usable as a playset. :ssh:

really though, thank you to everyone in this thread. you've all been very helpful with your tips and feedback. if it weren't for threads like this i would have quit this place long ago.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Working on a Legion AT-ST and looking for feedback- I'm not really sold on the highlighting but I never like how my drybrushing looks immediately after doing it

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
to me it looks like it could use a black or brown pinwash. i would then take a tiny brush and a pure silver/chrome paint and do some scritch-scratchs along the hard edges and corners. i think the drybrush looks fine though. reminds me of a lot of WW2 soviet tanks with badly maintained winter washes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

StashAugustine posted:

Working on a Legion AT-ST and looking for feedback- I'm not really sold on the highlighting but I never like how my drybrushing looks immediately after doing it

you could add more colors when you drybrush and get a really cool effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnUWwq3Qtco

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

how do I post a pic from imgur that isn't huge? I have a model I want to get feedback on but I don't want to destroy the thread

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Use the timg tag not img

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

My first and second layer of paint leave a lot of spots really dark and it looks very streaky. The first time this happened I figured I used too much water to thin the paint but it happened when I used less. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
1: is there primer on the model?

2: greens are really streaky unless you do multiple thin layers

3: uhh how are you that sloppy and getting paint literally everywhere?