Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Would it have been too difficult to, I don't know, hold a military parade so you could verify the number of men dressed in uniform carrying a boom stick? Or would this only have resulted in the generals giving their extended family a crash course on how to march in step?

Yes, I'm sure a commander would be able to rustle up some locals to prepare for an inspection, only to have them to back to the fields immediately after.

But these are systemic problems-- it isn't just corrupt commanders far from scrutiny. Corruption ran through all levels, so there was no useful oversight. Tribal loyalties tended to supercede national ones, so there is no guilt about weakening the army if your group benefits from it. All these problems have been well-known for many years but highlighting them runs counter to political goals and hence they tend to get ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OctaMurk posted:

No, you lie about that to the enemy or other nations. Victorious armies tell themselves the truth, no matter how hard it is.

One of the reasons America lost all these bushfire wars is because the US military embraced a culture of success theater and self-deception. In the wars America won, the military actually overestimated the strength of the enemy relative to itself and prepared accordingly.

see: the red army propagandized but internal records were accurate to the best of their knowledge.
the nazis took their own propaganda to heart.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

YoursTruly posted:

This isn't a joke question.
Wouldn't most armies lie about their size and willingness to fight in a war? I'm going to assume that this problem didn't exist explicitly to the Afghan Army. I'd think that almost every army around the world/over time would over exaggerate its numbers and willingness to fight, if for no reason other than propaganda.

That makes it seriously bloody difficult to actually organise and administer your army, though, if you're also having to carefully cover up how many people you're paying, where they are, how much equipment they have, and so on in an organisation of thousands or even millions. Transparency is cheaper and easier, with operational secrecy being mostly for short-term, limited-scope purposes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

That makes it seriously bloody difficult to actually organise and administer your army, though, if you're also having to carefully cover up how many people you're paying, where they are, how much equipment they have, and so on in an organisation of thousands or even millions. Transparency is cheaper and easier, with operational secrecy being mostly for short-term, limited-scope purposes.

Good news: the Afghan army never had to organize and administer poo poo, NATO armed forces did all the actual work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good news: the Afghan army never had to organize and administer poo poo, NATO armed forces did all the actual work.

Well, yes, but what I posted was why real armies don't regularly do what the ANA did.

And the ANA did have to start doing that stuff after NATO wound down combat operations, and... well, we all saw how that turned out.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

5M people, esp in Hassakeh governorate, are impacted by widespread water shortages, following poor seasonal rains, drought-like conditions &water levels in Euphrates River. Water shortages are contributing to worsening food insecurity

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Seems bad:

https://twitter.com/bashirgwakh/status/1464676917769121800

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Interesting method of eradicating the possibility of rebellions by starving the population into long term submission.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Interesting method of eradicating the possibility of rebellions by starving the population into long term submission.
Hey, worked for Uncle Joe

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Looks like a Saudi hitman thought he had more impunity than he actually had:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/07/world/khashoggi-suspect-arrest-paris-airport-intl/index.html

A Saudi man accused of being a member of the hit squad that murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi has been detained in Paris while boarding a flight to Riyadh, French media reported Tuesday.

A 33-year-old man was detained before his flight at 9:30 a.m. local time, and was traveling under a real passport, a spokesperson for the French National Police told CNN. He was placed in judicial detention, the spokesperson added.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
today i had a surreal moment when i realized the person npr was interviewing for information on syrian prisons was this forums very own caro

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/08/1062319970/held-in-a-syrian-prison-a-u-s-citizen-and-a-british-doctor-made-a-pact

in summary he's not doing particularly well, and currently seems to be living out of his car. he's suing the syrian government and plans on delivering testimony on the torture and murder of several of his prison mates by the regime at various trials and inquests

still find it incredible that he's alive and disappointing but not unexpected that he still seems to be struggling through a lot of stuff. i hold out hope that if his name ever crops back up again that he's in a better situation

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

today i had a surreal moment when i realized the person npr was interviewing for information on syrian prisons was this forums very own caro

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/08/1062319970/held-in-a-syrian-prison-a-u-s-citizen-and-a-british-doctor-made-a-pact

in summary he's not doing particularly well, and currently seems to be living out of his car. he's suing the syrian government and plans on delivering testimony on the torture and murder of several of his prison mates by the regime at various trials and inquests

still find it incredible that he's alive and disappointing but not unexpected that he still seems to be struggling through a lot of stuff. i hold out hope that if his name ever crops back up again that he's in a better situation

Oh wow I remember Caro in these forums and when he would post youtube videos of himself getting into gunfights in Libya. He seemed pretty unhinged back then but when he got imprisoned in Syria I thought he was doomed. It's nice to see he's free and alive at least even if he is struggling with a lot of issues.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Isn't this our first confirmation that he is alive?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he was shipped back to the states in like 2017 or w/e. it was awhile ago

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
drat, Caro gofundme when?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i say swears online posted:

he was shipped back to the states in like 2017 or w/e. it was awhile ago

yeah, though this is the first bit of news i think i've seen about him since he was repatriated

A big flaming stink posted:

drat, Caro gofundme when?

in the piece his lawyer is quoted as saying he's going to get a payment for some terrorist victim fund. hopefully if he does get a substantial amount of money there will be someone there who can make sure it actually goes to helping him

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Isn't this our first confirmation that he is alive?

He wrote a couple blog posts about what happened to him right after he got back. He said there would be more but then never posted again.

https://steemit.com/@kpatrickdawes

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Fuschia tude posted:

He wrote a couple blog posts about what happened to him right after he got back. He said there would be more but then never posted again.

https://steemit.com/@kpatrickdawes

He's definitely a good writer. Because this while being all over the place is a grim story

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

He's definitely a good writer. Because this while being all over the place is a grim story

He's also an incredibly loving unreliable narrator, and despite all the crimes the Syrian government did / is doing, I would trust his testimony even less than I would trust Assad speaking the truth in his interviews.

I mean the broad strokes of what he posts are probably true, but the details are as likely fabricated as not, like his paranoia about "Chris... seemed to be leading me into attempts at legal entrapment on terror charges, often juiced with coercive menace" is with 99.99% probability entirely in his head.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Saladman posted:

He's also an incredibly loving unreliable narrator, and despite all the crimes the Syrian government did / is doing, I would trust his testimony even less than I would trust Assad speaking the truth in his interviews.

I mean the broad strokes of what he posts are probably true, but the details are as likely fabricated as not, like his paranoia about "Chris... seemed to be leading me into attempts at legal entrapment on terror charges, often juiced with coercive menace" is with 99.99% probability entirely in his head.

If anyone is old enough to remember, he was demonstrably and admittedly schizophrenic.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

in the piece his lawyer is quoted as saying he's going to get a payment for some terrorist victim fund. hopefully if he does get a substantial amount of money there will be someone there who can make sure it actually goes to helping him

helping him get to Ukraine maybe??

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s still insane that he survived that

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Saladman posted:

I think he definitely is hosed up. Funny enough it's probably his schizophrenia and paranoia that led him to survive 4 years in a Syrian prison. Because I don't know how a normal brained elrson could survive that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
He was and is hosed up, but don't forget the dude filmed himself playing soldier and shooting at people, and lied about being a trained medic. In a warzone where actual people were hurt and needed help from actual trained medics. If anyone deserved what he got, he did, and it's a loving shame that so many died there where he survived and gets to be a celebrity.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's not like he's getting ticker tape parades down Main Street, dude lives in his car with a head full of horrid memories and schizophrenia and is sporadically gawked at by a small gaggle of terminally online people who occasionally remember his existence.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah i have nothing positive to say about him given just how hosed the whole war tourism poo poo was, but i also can't wish any ill upon him given that he has unquestionably suffered as much for those decisions as probably is humanly possible.

hopefully he can get a whole bunch of therapy and some meds that work

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

helping him get to Ukraine maybe??

Uhh I think we have enough problems without him, thanks

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I think he definitely is hosed up. Funny enough it's probably his schizophrenia and paranoia that led him to survive 4 years in a Syrian prison. Because I don't know how a normal brained elrson could survive that.

US Citizenship probably had something to do with it

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He was and is hosed up, but don't forget the dude filmed himself playing soldier and shooting at people, and lied about being a trained medic. In a warzone where actual people were hurt and needed help from actual trained medics. If anyone deserved what he got, he did, and it's a loving shame that so many died there where he survived and gets to be a celebrity.

Man what the gently caress, the guy got tortured in prison for months and is currently homeless

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Man what the gently caress, the guy got tortured in prison for months and is currently homeless

i mean he made a video of himself also shooting at silhouettes he was seeing in windows of houses in some residential neighborhood (and there was no fight happening or any return fire or any sign of any hostiles)

untreated mental illness, war tourism, and sniper rifles are a pretty hosed up combination

on a human level I hope he gets care and medication and some justice for having been thrown in a torture prison. with that said, he made a video of himself shooting at people in houses, so gently caress him

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 10, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grip it and rip it posted:

US Citizenship probably had something to do with it

Yes but the day to day before that kicks in is probably loving insane. Esp wrt the abuse and lack of full caloric intake. I knew what do you think that does to a person?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I didn't say his fate was my first choice for him. But I judge him the same way I judge the french who went off and joined ISIS- I can see why their circumstances led them to that choice, I think they deserve patriation back to the homeland, maybe with trials for their crimes, but gently caress off if you think they deserve life and happiness more than the people thrust into the war by birth.

I'd absolutely trade the life of Caro for one syrian rando who died in his prison, in other words. Caro was there for fun.

e: like I really don't want to come off as lusting for blood, but we're talking about a dude who chose to fly to Libya then Syria, lie about his credentials as a soldier to shoot up peoples' homes, lie about his credentials as a doctor to perform medical malpractice, and considered himself a hero for it. I've got issues too, I've managed to not fly halfway around the world to kill people as a means to resolve them.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 10, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Caro has a serious mental illness that appeared to be untreated at the time he went to Libya and Syria (based on the messages brown moses previously posted on this website). It's weird to try and attach specific values to different human lives and then rationalize how you've ranked different victims of a brutal dictatorial regime.

He definitely paid a high price for his decisions. High enough that I don't imagine he will ever completely recover, even if he does get all the therapy and treatment money could buy.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 10, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dude filmed himself cackling while he shot wildly into residential areas. Dude actively hosed with treatment of wounded people. I'm glad he's not dead, but the only reason he gets a modicum of sympathy is that he's a white american goon. A rando libyan with the same trajectory would just be "well, that's that."

He's loving disgusting. Mental illness is not a shield for anything and everything you do.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dude filmed himself cackling while he shot wildly into residential areas. Dude actively hosed with treatment of wounded people. I'm glad he's not dead, but the only reason he gets a modicum of sympathy is that he's a white american goon. A rando libyan with the same trajectory would just be "well, that's that."

He's loving disgusting. Mental illness is not a shield for anything and everything you do.

you do not properly comprehend the presence of mind that people with unmedicated schizophrenia possess

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is he white? I thought he was asian american. And when did he "gently caress with treatment of wounded people"?

lol at calling a homeless person with a mental illness disgusting. This seems like it evokes an emotional response in you for some particular reason. I'm pretty sure any goon, regardless of race or nationality, who posted about their time fighting against Assad would get quite a bit of notoriety.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 10, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Is he white? I thought he was asian american. And when did he "gently caress with treatment of wounded people"?

lol at calling a homeless person with a mental illness disgusting. This seems like it evokes an emotional response in you for some particular reason. I'm pretty sure any goon, regardless of race or nationality, who posted about their time fighting against Assad would get quite a bit of notoriety.

he was doing medical stuff with literally zero training beyond watching youtube videos

and he never fought against assad, he was on the nato side against gadhaffi if anything

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 10, 2021

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

He claimed to be a medic with no training at all and he never fought Assad he was captured trying to get into the country to link up with rebels. He shot at civillians. He's no better than any other troop, and his dad situation now is tragic but considering his rather singular case, simply ascribing everything to mental illness is silly.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Herstory Begins Now posted:

he was doing medical stuff with literally zero training beyond watching youtube videos

and he never fought against assad, he was on the nato side against gadhaffi if anything

There is a picture of him holding a saline bag and serving as an extra set of hands - is there any other evidence of his performance of medical procedures other than his own statements? He's hardly unique in attempting to provide medical aid in a zone where the standard of care was essentially zero. Im not saying hes good or right but suggesting that he deserved 4 years in a Syrian death camp is, frankly, psychotic.

Ive worked with a number if people who suffer from one version of schizophrenia or another, and when its untreated it can lead ti some very dark and destabilizing places. People handwaving away the dozens of unhinged messages Brown Moaes received from Caro, as well as his many indecipherable posts in GiP, makes no sense. It appeared that he was suffering from some serious delusions that directly informed his decision to go to a war zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
oh my god are we really coming down to "we can't know if he for reals killed anyone because we only have his word for it"?