Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Blue Raider posted:

Cancelled. Oh well
Still laughing that they had the same amount of runtime as the anime and covered only half the material expecting to get a second season and welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

when even netflix wont give it a second season lol

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

That’s too bad. I think there was a salvageable show there and I’d like to have seen the producers given a second stab at it.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Mulva posted:

I predict in a year there will be nobody that gave a poo poo this was made in the first place.

thats very generous lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
For it to get cancelled so fast you wonder if it got less viewership than the anime, which they don't even have exclusive rights to?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ogmius815 posted:

That’s too bad. I think there was a salvageable show there and I’d like to have seen the producers given a second stab at it.

Yeah, I think for all its flaws they did get a good cast together. They just made some poor creative decisions.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Dongicus posted:

Honestly

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
thank christ this is dead and we never ever have to think or speak of it ever again

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
Netflix just like "I'm not gonna carry that weight"

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
That's a bummer, I think they could have pulled it together in a second season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah well, kind of a pity that Eden Perkins didn’t get a chance to do more than one scene as Ed though (and the actor themselves is nonbinary which is neat).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 10, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I think for all its flaws they did get a good cast together. They just made some poor creative decisions.

The cast was good and had good chemistry. The production, the set design, the show runners, the cinematography, and the writers were all poo poo awful.

Basically "Good cast, shame about everything else".

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

wow that was fast lol

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

Netflix just like "I'm not gonna carry that weight"

New thread title

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Roasted Donut posted:

thank christ this is dead and we never ever have to think or speak of it ever again

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Lol drat, nerds sure get real angry about things. I binged through the show and though it was pretty neat. Would have liked to see how they did a second season.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cojawfee posted:

Lol drat, nerds sure get real angry about things. I binged through the show and though it was pretty neat. Would have liked to see how they did a second season.

Can I recommend going back to 1998 or 2001 and starting with Jamming With Edward? That's a fun one.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Booo. Y’all suck. We could have at least had more music.
:smith:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I'm legit worried about Masters of the Universe: Relevation getting a second season now because lovely nerds somehow got even more pissed off about that than they did Cowboy Bebop, and unlike this show, Revelation was actually good :ohdear:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's just crazy that they canceled this show but they keep making Lost In Space seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop a lot. Pretty sad it got cancelled, it was silly fun.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Booo. Y’all suck. We could have at least had more music.
:smith:

The way this show used music was "hey do you remember this??" for 30 seconds.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The cancellation would be a shame if anyone on the development/production side of things actually cared about the show and not just crossing elements off a checklist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll be depressed if the Gundam movie gets the same handling by being a Netflix exclusive.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Just too much stuff working against this show to get it another season. It had to reckon with:

-a high budget, so it needs to pull proper numbers to keep going
-adapting animation to live action
-trying to adapt a beloved/revered property that people have a lot of attachment to, and which raised expectations for the show
-Cho getting injured and putting production on pause
-the goddamn pandemic

Ultimately it's possible to overcome obstacles like these and many more if you have enough wildly talented people involved across multiple aspects of a production (cast, writers, directors, FX team, etc. etc.), but it seems like there wasn't enough of that involved to get it to reach a level that earns a renewal, and certainly it was far short of hitting the sort of peak quality that a show like Breaking Bad had.

Plus making a show is really tough! Even a classic like BB had some peaks and valleys in terms of quality, and the vast majority of shows will get better over time as everyone gets more into the groove of things.

I would've been quite happy to see more of the show, but Netflix is clearly past the mindset of renewing/greenlighting just about everything, probably because it's looking at mountains of unbelievable expenses because it kept renewing/greenlighting everything for so long.

Arc Hammer posted:

I'll be depressed if the Gundam movie gets the same handling by being a Netflix exclusive.

I've said before that eventually someone's going to do a western live-action adaptation of an anime and hit it out of the goddamn park, and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if that turned out to be this Gundam adaptation. It should be hard to mess up flashy giant robot fights, and western media definitely knows how to do good political intrigue/teen angst/chosen one stories.

Ironically, if it wouldn't mess up things because you kept going between one and the other, it seems like having robot stuff be anime and pilot shots/everything else be live action would let the mecha combat look amazing (like it basically always does) while keeping the budget for that much lower. Meanwhile you improve the overall dynamic of the various times people sit around talking somewhere by doing that in live action. I feel like there's been bits and pieces of that here and there, but it's kind of just done to show a flashback or in a clearly parceled-off part of the story. Then again, like all ideas it's probably been done by someone at some point and I just never heard of it, so it probably wouldn't be any kind of proper game-changer to anime adaptations or anything.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 10, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dongicus posted:

Netflix has been canceling everything for the last year or 2

RIP GLOW

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Red posted:

Netflix has been canceling everything for the last year or 2

RIP GLOW

Yeah, Netflix swings more axes than Lizzy Borden, and for incredibly arbitrary reasons at times. Basically only Stranger Things and The Witcher are safe from their bloodlust.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

I guess hacking up the "cool parts" of a previously-existing property without really understanding them and paving over it with aliexpress-level costumes and sub-Gilmore Girls tier bantz...... isn't......... good?

Cloche fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 10, 2021

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Idk I thought it was the best anime live action attempt yet. RIP.

I'll pour one out while rewatching my favorite scene.
https://youtu.be/nuoa51o-99w

Bananaquiter fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 10, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

NowonSA posted:

I've said before that eventually someone's going to do a western live-action adaptation of an anime and hit it out of the goddamn park
They already did.

It was a huge flop. Just like LA Bebop.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Oh no now there's no way to ever know how it ends.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The United States posted:

They already did.

It was a huge flop. Just like LA Bebop.

Watching this on the big screen is still the high point of movie going for me

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Watching this on the big screen is still the high point of movie going for me

It was one of the first blu-rays I ever bought, and probably the reason I bought a player.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Speed Racer and Spiderverse exist to ruin the compression algorithms of streaming services and make you buy the blu-ray instead

https://i.imgur.com/EXFUiGM.mp4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 10, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The United States posted:

Speed Racer and Spiderverse exist to ruin the compression algorithms of streaming services and make you buy the blu-ray instead

You forgot Redline.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

NowonSA posted:

-a high budget, so it needs to pull proper numbers to keep going
-adapting animation to live action
-trying to adapt a beloved/revered property that people have a lot of attachment to, and which raised expectations for the show
-Cho getting injured and putting production on pause
-the goddamn pandemic

Ultimately it's possible to overcome obstacles like these and many more if you have enough wildly talented people involved across multiple aspects of a production (cast, writers, directors, FX team, etc. etc.), but it seems like there wasn't enough of that involved to get it to reach a level that earns a renewal, and certainly it was far short of hitting the sort of peak quality that a show like Breaking Bad had.

I mean, to the second point - Bebop was always pretty tame on the anime scale, and I still fully believe you could do a live action adaptation. When I think of the stuff that really stuck out about the anime, it was the mood of the scenes. Take the opening from the first episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbmVx6nZSs8

It is fully noir pastiche and it tells you exactly that you need to know - a man with a violent history waiting for someone who didn't show, setting up a profound sense of loss with the color grading and the music, and it does it with no dialog and did it in 45 seconds.

What the show writers took from this was apparently "Dutch angles"

I wonder if they purposely went for a more campy style because if they leaned into the Noir stuff it'd feel too much like Altered Carbon?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
im a little sad it was cancelled

maybe ill just rewatch the original

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
https://files.catbox.moe/xnr66c.mp4

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Not really surprised, really wanted to give the live action show the benefit of the doubt but its just bad

Edit: calling it bad is almost unfair, bad tv can be watchable, bebop was outright boring

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:lol::laffo::lol: