Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
the scene where julia is asked to sing some wack rear end song and vicious acts like the women hosed her in front of him is almost as cringe as Ed min of screen time. like dude who cares you got off pretty loving cheap.:rolleyes:

I'm not spoiling it either cuz if your this far in the thread and haven't watched this trash heap its your fault really. don't watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Asteroid Blues is a really good episode and a strong opener to the series, and it takes some pretty obvious inspiration from Desperado. So when the Netflix adaptation does Asteroid Blues, they're doing Desperado by proxy, but with little of what made Asteroid Blues or Desperado good. So it looks like a lovely version of Desperado.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

zooted heh posted:

the scene where julia is asked to sing some wack rear end song and vicious acts like the women hosed her in front of him is almost as cringe as Ed min of screen time. like dude who cares you got off pretty loving cheap.:rolleyes:

I'm not spoiling it either cuz if your this far in the thread and haven't watched this trash heap its your fault really. don't watch it.
That new Julia song sucked so bad compared to Adieu as well. Just a bunch of supposedly sultry words barely set to a melody. "Swath me... in... honeyyyyy..." Ugh.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I liked the stuff that had nothing to do with Vicious, too bad he was basically the co-protagonist for how much focus he got.

I am legit bummed out about it being cancelled though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cojawfee posted:

It's just crazy that they canceled this show but they keep making Lost In Space seasons.

Wait, they made MORE of that show? Holy poo poo there are THREE seasons of it now? :stare:

loving :lol:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jerusalem posted:

Wait, they made MORE of that show? Holy poo poo there are THREE seasons of it now? :stare:

loving :lol:

You'd think that someone, somewhere in the chain, would look at that scene and say "No. This is not working. We need something else."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i guess if your brain is capable of reconciling a seething hatred of 'nerds' with the use of a term like 'chaos dunk' then yeah i can kind of see how you might think this show is good
Barkley was a goon project that made fun of the nerdy anime/jrpg crowd (in the guise of a jrpg itself) and thus the good kind of super nerdiness

JOSEPH SAMOAN posted:

the only loss whatsoever about this being cancelled is that we will never get to see just how badly they would gently caress up The Real Folks Blues pt 1 and 2. the season leading up to it where spike judo fights the immortal harmonica kid and faye calls a reimagined redditor PUA cowboy andy a fuckwaffle would be good too, but i honest to god want to see how they wrote themselves out of the corner they pointlessly worked their way into with vicious and julia
Probably just bring in Vincent as the new super terrorist mastermind with brain butterflies season long big bad villain and just ignore all the syndicate naff as much as possible

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 11, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
- Faye comes out as a TERF
- Jet dabs
- Spike gets really into NFTs
- Ed says OK boomer

There's you S2

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Hughmoris posted:

You'd think that someone, somewhere in the chain, would look at that scene and say "No. This is not working. We need something else."

I'll be the black sheep and say that I actually like Lost in Space, though I haven't watched the final season yet.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469265853845839877
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469266548636401666
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469269213797834754
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469270800394072069
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469271350925832198
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469272131414470658
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469277640083312646
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469505021423362048
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469508237527592960
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1469558899917443077

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
That's definitely not the 'main issue.'

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The main issue is remaking Cowboy Bebop in live action

But given that they remade Cowboy Bebop in live action, you can make a good case that this issue with the adaptation undergirds all others, even if it's not immediately apparent. And she does.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

bebop was a c-spam property adapted by d&d readers

smdh

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

The United States posted:

You can make a good case that this issue with the adaptation undergirds all others, even if it's not immediately apparent. And she does.
Making that case (or any good case about anything, really) would require a lot more than a tweet thread.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

smdh

lol

though CB did not have enough unironic tankies to be of CSPAM's loins.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

smdh

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

smdh

cspam hasn't been about leftist politics for over a year now

it's just one giant honeypot for mental illness where the inmates think they're privileged to be there

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Had to happen eventually, I guess. :rolleyes:

This is gonna be another high water mark for The Shittiest Nerds You Know, like how they won't stop talking about Ghostbusters 2016 or the Han Solo movie. Most normal people are gonna move on and be like "Oh, that Cowboy show? Yeah it sucked and I didn't watch it. Wait, why are you still yelling about it? It's 2026."

your brain is soup and mush lmao

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Making that case (or any good case about anything, really) would require a lot more than a tweet thread.
No, a tweet thread is exactly what the LA Bebop adaptation deserves

tokin opposition posted:

smdh
OG Bebop was hardly c-spam, it just thought enough about its setting to give it the kind of texture it needed to adapt the genres it intended to adapt. The cops are rife with corruption just as they are in every noir movie and hong kong heroic bloodshed movie they are pulling from. The wealthy and powerful are not to be trusted. Loyalty towards organizations earns you nothing in the end. And nowhere in the entire series do we see a white picket fence house in the Sydney suburbs. The adaptation made the conscious choice to change all of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gNCvrcztbQ&t=2254s

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 11, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Pedro De Heredia posted:

So the part where they're looking at the original's aesthetic and their main take away is that it's "multicultural" doesn't say something?

They understood the show at a surface level. How can you make a good adaptation?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Regarding THICC FAYE, there actually was one shot in the eco-terrorist episode where I have no idea what lens they were using or whatever, but she was walking along and looked like miss piggy with how short and wide she seemed. (bout 26 mins into the ep)

Looks totally normal through the rest of the series.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

they should have cast zendaya as faye

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Regarde Aduck posted:

cspam hasn't been about leftist politics for over a year now

it's just one giant honeypot for mental illness where the inmates think they're privileged to be there

Found the D&D poster

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfbvikh5OkA

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

they should have cast zendaya as faye

And Lebron James is Spiegel.

And Danny DeVito is Vicious.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Yudo posted:

lol

though CB did not have enough unironic tankies to be of CSPAM's loins.

*seinfeld voice* "what's the deal with dialectal materialism?????"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cspam: ghost in the shell 1995
D&D: ghost in the shell 2017

Including the racism

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

C Spam serves a very effective role as a quarantine for the absolute worst posters and we should all thank it for its services

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I think the show runners deserve more credit for being brave enough to tackle contemporary issues such as scrotum shaving and black-man-dumb-how-what-is-bidet.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The United States posted:

No, a tweet thread is exactly what the LA Bebop adaptation deserves

OG Bebop was hardly c-spam, it just thought enough about its setting to give it the kind of texture it needed to adapt the genres it intended to adapt. The cops are rife with corruption just as they are in every noir movie and hong kong heroic bloodshed movie they are pulling from. The wealthy and powerful are not to be trusted. Loyalty towards organizations earns you nothing in the end. And nowhere in the entire series do we see a white picket fence house in the Sydney suburbs. The adaptation made the conscious choice to change all of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gNCvrcztbQ&t=2254s

Been watching the OG show and these points are so spot on. I enjoyed the LIve Action but it really is a soulless remake by a guy who did not get the original show at all aside from space and bounty hunters. That interview with the show runner soured me even more on the show. “I don’t really like the whole dystopian talk about class struggle so let’s make a show about how corporate logos are cool!” Ugh. He’s totally going to get millions of more dollars to make terrible shows. Whole thing is annoying as the actors were (mostly) ok. Still like Jet Black and Ein but the show is just lame.

Most apparent fail was Perroit Le Lou. That episode in the toon is legit scary and freaky but the show builds up the unkillable bad guy made by the vague possible gubberment and kills him offscreen. Anime death was still freaky and worth watching but here it’s Poochie time. I didn’t even mind the holo projection from Ein as that was funny and still freaky if in a Lexx way. I’m not even that picky but tired of people like Scott Buck and D&D failsons getting millions to make mediocre entertainment. That same money could be used to feed and clothe people or just not make lovely shows. I still get irritated with show creators/fans talking about wanting to ignore politics or do both sides arguments. It’s less about a party named X or Y and more about talking about how maybe some people have it rougher than others due to established societal systems and maybe that society should change; though if a party has a stance of “gently caress your feelings” or “gently caress you - got mine” maybe don’t feel the need to go out of your way to spare THEIR feelings.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Yeah, that's the thing - The Bebop Anime was a deeply political show. It was deeply class conscious and the characters stuggle with things like Police corruption, corporate oligarcies, for-profit healthcare and the like. Netflix bebop stripped all of that out because the producer thought it was too much of a bummer to have distopia in a show about a future distopia.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, that's the thing - The Bebop Anime was a deeply political show. It was deeply class conscious and the characters stuggle with things like Police corruption, corporate oligarcies, for-profit healthcare and the like. Netflix bebop stripped all of that out because the producer thought it was too much of a bummer to have distopia in a show about a future distopia.

For some reason, I never got the dystopia vibe from the anime - rather I would say it felt like a lived-in, grounded world in which people behaved realistically.

I think that's what gave it such a mature air when I first watched it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Penitent posted:

For some reason, I never got the dystopia vibe from the anime - rather I would say it felt like a lived-in, grounded world in which people behaved realistically.

I think that's what gave it such a mature air when I first watched it.

The dystopia is never front an center and the characters never dwell on it because they're too busy trying to make ends meet. It's present, but more in the way it affects everyday life struggles rather than a constant barrage of evil plots by megacorporations being the focus. The Bebop crew only gets caught up in the major power struggles on a handful of occasions but it's just another day on the job for them.

Also I liked Bob in the anime. He only shows up three times but he seems like a good friend to Jet even after he left ISSP.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

earth is a loving blasted hellscape, every other inhabited planet is owned by a space mafia, the moon exploded

sorry you don't pay attention to basic worldbuilding

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tokin opposition posted:

earth is a loving blasted hellscape, every other inhabited planet is owned by a space mafia, the moon exploded

Also - Crime is such a pervasive and common problem that bounty hunters can go galavanting around the Galaxy in a space ship and make at least ends meat.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

not 1:1 but nevertheless the definitive take on this show and thread

your conclusions from there reflect the entirety of your worth as a person

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

tokin opposition posted:

One of the things I find so fascinating about the way the anime deals with the moon gate explosion and decimation of Earth's surface is that although we see ruins everywhere, it's communicated to the viewer and understood that people still live there and life goes on.

Earth is treated like a backwater where the radio reports on rock showers like it's the weather.

It feels extremely realistic and not played up for melodrama. I wonder if the Japanese culture's familiarity with natural disasters is the reason why the show runners have this sort of nonchalant, poo poo happens, people move on, kind of attitude about the world they created.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Penitent posted:

One of the things I find so fascinating about the way the anime deals with the moon gate explosion and decimation of Earth's surface is that although we see ruins everywhere, it's communicated to the viewer and understood that people still live there and life goes on.

Earth is treated like a backwater where the radio reports on rock showers like it's the weather.

It feels extremely realistic and not played up for melodrama. I wonder if the Japanese culture's familiarity with natural disasters is the reason why the show runners have this sort of nonchalant, poo poo happens, people move on, kind of attitude about the world they created.

Someone should make a long-running series of movies kaiju-style about the lingering effects of a post-WW2 Japan.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

void_serfer posted:

Someone should make a long-running series of movies kaiju-style about the lingering effects of a post-WW2 Japan.

You mean Super Sentai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Inkspot posted:

You mean Super Sentai?

Godzilla, Tokusatsu, and yeah I guess Super Sentai which was born from Tokusatsu