Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

How many die from the flu each year

10,000-50,000 in the United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Brogeoisie posted:

No one has explicitly said this but people just reading between lines on company and Fauci statements. Bad news read on it is fear it won't do poo poo

Thank you for the response!

But hahaha holy poo poo.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

fake news china got 2 austria

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

What if we make a life saving vaccine for nothing?

Yeah I should have known better.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

i dunno, people eating horse paste would sound fake 18 months ago, and there's plenty of stories of that happening

all of those were fake.

itstime4lunch
Nov 3, 2005

clockin' around
the clock
Mild thing, I think I love you
BUT I WANNA KNOW FOR SHORE

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Gripweed posted:

The other day I was at work, wearing a mask, a guy comes in and asks if he needs a mask to come in. I say no. He asks if he needs to show proof of vaccination, I say no. We talk about the business that brought him in, get that settled, he almost turns to leave but hesitates and asks if I'm vaccinated, I say yes. He asks if I had any side effects, I tell him just a sore arm. We talk about the side effects for a bit, he heard it can really knock some people on their rear end, etc. He seems oddly uncomfortable, I'm not really sure where this is going, but then he kinda reluctantly mentions he saw a video online that said some people got magnetized by the vaccine.
I tell him I hadn't checked myself but had not noticed anything like that. He still seems uncomfortable, so I pick up an allen wrench set that was on the desk and start tapping it against myself and he laughs but says it might be too heavy. I tell him I can't feel it pulling towards me at all. He seems genuinely relieved, thanks me for the help, and leaves.

keep some paper clips on hand in case he comes back

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I know its easy to say "oh just spend 200,000,000 dollars to make a life saving vaccine" but you have to understand that money doesn't come from thin air. Every time we make a new vaccine it costs as much a f-22 fighter jet, and while I know its easy to say "well what if my kids die of covid, or if I die of covid" but what if your kids are attacked by a mig-35? People don't talk about that stuff, but it could happen and we have to be ready.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Gripweed posted:

The other day I was at work, wearing a mask, a guy comes in and asks if he needs a mask to come in. I say no. He asks if he needs to show proof of vaccination, I say no. We talk about the business that brought him in, get that settled, he almost turns to leave but hesitates and asks if I'm vaccinated, I say yes. He asks if I had any side effects, I tell him just a sore arm. We talk about the side effects for a bit, he heard it can really knock some people on their rear end, etc. He seems oddly uncomfortable, I'm not really sure where this is going, but then he kinda reluctantly mentions he saw a video online that said some people got magnetized by the vaccine.
I tell him I hadn't checked myself but had not noticed anything like that. He still seems uncomfortable, so I pick up an allen wrench set that was on the desk and start tapping it against myself and he laughs but says it might be too heavy. I tell him I can't feel it pulling towards me at all. He seems genuinely relieved, thanks me for the help, and leaves.

you handled that well, the other option of saying "lmao... just lmao. someone isn't reading anthony leonardis tweets, idiot. how about you stop killing everyone around you?" probably would have been less effective

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Greg Legg posted:

Wait wait I've been busy and haven't really had time until now to properly doom scroll but there's no omicron specific booster being developed? What happened to that 100 days thing? Hahaha what the gently caress am I reading this correctly?

they are waiting to see if it will be profitable. they see the current booster uptake rates and it ain’t gonna be profitable yet.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Paramemetic posted:

My ER nurse best friend is making twice what I am as a medic and it's making an RN bridge program very enticing.

Do it. Your knees and back aren't going to last forever.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Infections have fallen but you know what else has fallen?

Freedom.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I want to thank the health care professionals itt. That is one of many professions I wouldn't be emotionally capable of (schooling aside)

I want to make a plea with y'all: if a patient has mental health issues please don't automatically treat them like a drug seeking criminal. When I've been admitted to the hospital for w/e reason they always withheld my psych meds and acted like I was going to steal something

It seems most doctors are not aware of the withdrawal from something for example like paliperidone and bupropion, they are with benzos or ADD meds

There's nothing worse than being in a hospital, scared and alone, at the mercy of the staff and having someone make a decision to not give you your meds and you start withdrawals. The brain zaps, restless leg, headaches, metallic feeling, irritability, insomnia, rapid onset of mania or depression

Of course there are situations where meds need to be withheld but I'm thinking that's the exception not the rule

Finding out what a patient is prescribed should be fairly straightforward. If not that's something that should be addressed

Sorry for the off topic rant. I've had some very bad interactions with health care professionals where I was treated less than human

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

kater posted:

all of those were fake.

lies from the equine pharma companies, riding the pfizer and moderna wave

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i definitely remember multiple posters in the covid threads claiming the vaccines were rushed or unsafe.

that's fair, and I remember that as well. though "poison" might be much. efficacy of mRNA was definitely a surprise to this thread, and "doomer consensus" such as it is quickly changed from "rushed vaccine" to "pissing away a miracle vaccine"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Karl Barks posted:

you handled that well, the other option of saying "lmao... just lmao. someone isn't reading anthony leonardis tweets, idiot. how about you stop killing everyone around you?" probably would have been less effective

I am the only one at work who wears a mask, and maybe five percent of the customers do. I'm not tryna rock the boat about this stuff.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

fosborb posted:

0 and 1 year olds make up the vast majority of those numbers (slide 3)

admitted with their mothers?

does covid transfer though milk

did we finally get one that goes through food and fucks you up through your guts?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Just went to an outdoor sports thing I couldn't get out of. I was the only one there wearing any kind of ppe

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nodelphi posted:

Nah, totally different skill set. I would make the world’s most inept nurse. My job is mostly thinking and clicking boxes and occasionally putting a tube in something. Nurses actually do all the hard work.

There are some talented people in the ED. Back when I was still working EMS I had a trauma surgeon hitch a ride on my bus and use a saws-all to do an emergency amputation on a dude's arm who was pinned under a truck.

tbf that motherfucker was basically Batman. When Iraq kicked off back in 2003 he quit his job and joined the Army because he figured that the cutting edge of trauma surgery was going to be in a warzone. IIRC he wrote a few papers about it, but nothing that I kept up with because I'm just an average shithead.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Terror Sweat posted:

How many die from the flu each year

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Salt Fish posted:

I know its easy to say "oh just spend 200,000,000 dollars to make a life saving vaccine" but you have to understand that money doesn't come from thin air. Every time we make a new vaccine it costs as much a f-22 fighter jet, and while I know its easy to say "well what if my kids die of covid, or if I die of covid" but what if your kids are attacked by a mig-35? People don't talk about that stuff, but it could happen and we have to be ready.

What if they're attacked by Pandemic Legion?

Et Earello Endorenna utulie'n. Sinome maruvan ar-Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

anyone posted this message from our friends at Comcast NBC Universal yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSHz5S3yIzg

the message is, it's time to suck and gently caress

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

fosborb posted:

that's fair, and I remember that as well. though "poison" might be much. efficacy of mRNA was definitely a surprise to this thread, and "doomer consensus" such as it is quickly changed from "rushed vaccine" to "pissing away a miracle vaccine"

People in this thread sometimes have opinions which turn out to be wrong, and then they change those opinions when it's clear that they're junk. It's something that's legitimately happened many times over the last two years. It's not a bad thing or a problem with people who post in this thread and it's hilarious that people think that it is.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mr Hootington posted:

He is right though. You should be questioning what these ghouls decree. They have been wrong or lied to us so often. That is his point with this tweet.

His open biden poo poo is dumb though.

His whole schtick, which I call "taint-reaping" is to pick something that's true, and then extend it in an obnoxious way trying to bait people into interacting with him so that he can get into an argument where specifically he will accuse you of contradicting the true thing even though you were pointing out that he was being obnoxious.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Infections have fallen but you know what else has fallen?

Freedom.

Lots of Austrians are saying this is exactly like Anschluss, but many others don't like it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i definitely remember multiple posters in the covid threads claiming the vaccines were rushed or unsafe.

I was one of those, but it was mostly bleed-over from my suspicion that pharma would be in the tank for Trump and would pump out whatever to help him win the election. And I'm used to a world where vaccines take at least 18 months to go from zero to approval, I didn't realize that we could push one out that fast and have it not mutate us into some Cronenberg monster.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Nonsense posted:

The End of Fur

Fur Elysium.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

i dunno, people eating horse paste would sound fake 18 months ago, and there's plenty of stories of that happening

To be fair we now know it's paste for horses, back then we would have thought it was paste from horses.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

shackleford posted:

anyone posted this message from our friends at Comcast NBC Universal yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSHz5S3yIzg

agh gently caress you

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Zeroisanumber posted:

I was one of those, but it was mostly bleed-over from my suspicion that pharma would be in the tank for Trump and would pump out whatever to help him win the election. And I'm used to a world where vaccines take at least 18 months to go from zero to approval, I didn't realize that we could push one out that fast and have it not mutate us into some Cronenberg monster.

What if it did and we just don't realise it?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

imperiusdamian posted:

Being a Brundlefly wouldn't change much for me tbqh

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Honestly, if I was in the first few thousand people to receive it I would have been pretty uneasy about the speed of development, and probably would have been a bit nervous about it.

By the time it was available to me in Canada, +100 million doses were in arms, so it was kind of a moot point, and my dreams of turning crocodilian were already smashed.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Zeroisanumber posted:

This was my belief also. I can't speak for others here but I changed my attitude pretty quick when rich people and politicans jumped to the front of the line to get vaxxed

Morbus
May 18, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

All of the Spartacus cast were from nz or aus I think

yeah but i cant tell any of them apart

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

shackleford posted:

But doctor, I am

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Paradoxish posted:

People in this thread sometimes have opinions which turn out to be wrong, and then they change those opinions when it's clear that they're junk. It's something that's legitimately happened many times over the last two years. It's not a bad thing or a problem with people who post in this thread and it's hilarious that people think that it is.

Changing your mind or opinion on something based upon new information is the trademark of a weak mind

Just double down, don't admit defeat, find that one Facebook post that agrees with you and hold on like your life depended on it

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

fosborb posted:

I was pretty wary of a vaccine developed in record time but then one of the more tapped in science knowers came in and said "stop being morons we've been chipping away at this since SARS1 and already use mRNA shots in animals" and then hit us with some fascinating articles on the development of coronavirus vaccines. Happy to say I was speaking from a place of ignorance then.

imperiusdamian posted:

img-astronaut-gun-%always-was%.bmp

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Zeroisanumber posted:

Being a Brundlefly wouldn't change much for me tbqh

It might be a secret way to assimilate us all into The Borg Collective. Already I find myself using phrases like "resistance is futile". Although I was roflstomping my foes in Quake II at the time.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
STATE BY STATE Hospitalizations

If you live in

Alaska , COVID related Hospitalizations have DECREASED by 15% since Thanksgiving

Alabama , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 9% since Thanksgiving

Arkansas , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 60% since Thanksgiving

Arizona , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 9% since Thanksgiving

California , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 11% since Thanksgiving

CT , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 85% since Thanksgiving

DE , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 84% since Thanksgiving

FL , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 1% since Thanksgiving

GA , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 17% since Thanksgiving

HI , COVID related Hospitalizations have DECREASED by 2% since Thanksgiving

IA , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 31% since Thanksgiving

ID , COVID related Hospitalizations have DECREASED by 1% since Thanksgiving

IL , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 63% since Thanksgiving

IN , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 48% since Thanksgiving

KS , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 41% since Thanksgiving

KY , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 44% since Thanksgiving

MA , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 107% since Thanksgiving

MD , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 58% since Thanksgiving

ME , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 21% since Thanksgiving

MI , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 15% since Thanksgiving

MN , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 11% since Thanksgiving

MO , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 54% since Thanksgiving

MS , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 24% since Thanksgiving

MT , COVID related Hospitalizations have DECREASED by 30% since Thanksgiving

NC , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 61% since Thanksgiving

ND , COVID related Hospitalizations have DECREASED by 10% since Thanksgiving

NE , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 20% since Thanksgiving

NH , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 25% since Thanksgiving

NJ , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 75% since Thanksgiving

NM , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 16% since Thanksgiving

NV , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 3% since Thanksgiving

NY , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 38% since Thanksgiving

OH, COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 31% since Thanksgiving

OK , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 40% since Thanksgiving

OR , COVID related Hospitalizations have DECREASED by 2% since Thanksgiving

PA , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 25% since Thanksgiving

RI , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 77% since Thanksgiving

SC , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 32% since Thanksgiving

SD , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 17% since Thanksgiving

TN , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 31% since Thanksgiving

TX , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 9% since Thanksgiving

UT , COVID related Hospitalizations have DECREASED by 4%% since Thanksgiving

VA , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 34% since Thanksgiving

VT , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 21% since Thanksgiving

WA , COVID related Hospitalizations have DECREASED 7% since Thanksgiving

WI , COVID related Hospitalizations have DECREASED by 26% since Thanksgiving

WV , COVID related Hospitalizations have INCREASED by 15% since Thanksgiving

WY, COVID related Hospitalizations have DECREASED 7% since Thanksgiving

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1469737346039889921?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cloaked posted:

they are waiting to see if it will be profitable. they see the current booster uptake rates and it ain’t gonna be profitable yet.

and they might just repurpose one of their unreleased Alpha/Beta/Delta boosters since those are further along in development and show higher neutralization of Omicron than the current Wild Type vaccines

Pfizer says their Alpha vaccine is 400% better at neutralizing Omicron than their current Wild Type vaccine