Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Paracausal posted:

woke up to a 937mb update this morning? something brewing in the background?

looks like it's just polish language support
https://twitter.com/discoelysium/status/1468929059048636425

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So they polished the Polish?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Detective Kitsuragi looks up from his notebook raising an eyebrow

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I heard the translation is very good so I'm excited to play the game again and see for myself. Apparently the language barrier was a big problem for many people here so hopefully they buy and play the game now

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I wonder if anybody has done a deep dive on the translations of DE. How do you say ‘binoclard’ in Polish?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I'd check it but I don't remember when does it come up and I don't want to be mean to Kim :(

Ok, I managed not to be an rear end in a top hat to Kim, they translated binoclard as 'pinglarz', which I think is great. 'Pingle' is a bit old-timey slang for glasses, it's not vulgar but it does sound dismissive.
Physical instrument is translated to something like 'body as a tool' which sounds a bit funny but other skill names are alright. The Whirling-in-Rags is left in English, which is a shame, but they probably decided not to translate the places' names.

From my experience the biggest problems in translations of games aren't neologisms but awkward phrasings, lost puns, minor stuff like that which adds up to general style being poor. From what I've seen so far here, the language is as rich as in the original and that's probably the most important.

macabresca fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 10, 2021

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Zarezerwuj kiedy?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

How did they localize Gorący Kubek into Polish, given the joke relies on Polish being a foreign language?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

macabresca posted:

Ok, I managed not to be an rear end in a top hat to Kim, they translated binoclard as 'pinglarz', which I think is great. 'Pingle' is a bit old-timey slang for glasses, it's not vulgar but it does sound dismissive.
Physical instrument is translated to something like 'body as a tool' which sounds a bit funny but other skill names are alright.

"Pingle" is also norwegian slang for a person that's weak, both in mind and spirit.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Is there a way to make the map not display skill checks that aren't available anymore? Near as I can tell, poo poo like the book store map display, forcing the dumpster, etc were only available once and never again if I didn't feel like it at the time

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

My Disco Elysium LP that I ordered a year ago has finally arrived

Listening to it now, sound is good

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

repiv posted:

How did they localize Gorący Kubek into Polish, given the joke relies on Polish being a foreign language?

They left it as is. The audio is still in English so the joke is not completely lost I guess. Unfortunate, but I expected that. Poor Mr Kubek

Animal-Mother posted:

Zarezerwuj kiedy?

Literally no idea what you mean, lol. Looks like you used google translate or something

Alhazred posted:

"Pingle" is also norwegian slang for a person that's weak, both in mind and spirit.

I didn't know that, interesting! I wonder if they're related

macabresca fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 11, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

macabresca posted:

Literally no idea what you mean, lol. Looks like you used google translate or something

Google thinks that is Polish for "book when?"

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Animal-Mother posted:

Google thinks that is Polish for "book when?"

lol. Well, technically yes, but in a sense of booking a hotel room for example.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

macabresca posted:

lol. Well, technically yes, but in a sense of booking a hotel room for example.

Lmaooo

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The mercenary tribunal: Kim trusted me. He truly trusted me:unsmith: Also standing in the boat while wearing the "gently caress The World" jacket while the song plays felt truly good.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 12, 2021

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I think it's pretty dorky, but re: the tribunal: I still think about my first time through and just how wrapped up I was. Still get goosebumps if I think about it.

I managed to get it so that I winged the first shot against Kortenaer but got the second despite having no MOT. First wave of relief.

The Kim roll was just nothing but nerve. It's just a character but gently caress me between "Kim REALLY trusts you" and also having poo poo odds I just couldn't bear knowing what was going to happen if I hosed up.

The green flashes and I start breathing again. Hooooooo boy. What a rush.

Kim loving up shooting the body down and having the sweet payoff of him actually nailing the sniper also felt divine. Ugh!! This game.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Would I be a fool if I get this on ps4? I haven’t been using my pc much lately

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yes if your PS4 doesn't have an SSD. Reducing load times is the best thing you can do for the game.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

E:nm

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Snowy posted:

Would I be a fool if I get this on ps4? I haven’t been using my pc much lately

I have it on PS5 and the control scheme is...questionable. No click-to-move, and you need to hold a button then use the right stick to interact with stuff.

I cannot speak to load times on PS4 but I'm fairly sure even a mid-range PC would beat them. If it's your first time through I'd strongly recommend playing on PC instead.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok thanks I’ll get it on pc

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kalsco posted:

Kim loving up shooting the body down and having the sweet payoff of him actually nailing the sniper also felt divine. Ugh!! This game.

That really was a great build up. Normally, you see that sort of thing coming from miles away but DE really builds up that oppressive theme of failure so much that I was genuinely expecting Kim to miss, and his success felt tangible. It felt real, like a real surprise to everyone.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
finally played through the final cut

"in dark times, should the stars also go out?"

hell of a line

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It runs fine on PS4. The controll scheme is just like any other adventure game, you just use X to interact with stuff. You can use L1 to highlight interactive stuff, but you don't have to.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dumb as hell,but I thought folk might enjoy it:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That really was a great build up. Normally, you see that sort of thing coming from miles away but DE really builds up that oppressive theme of failure so much that I was genuinely expecting Kim to miss, and his success felt tangible. It felt real, like a real surprise to everyone.

I feel the big theme is that you're not the only one who can roll boxcars.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/alcogor/status/1469945455803265024?t=AxhNSy_kp2bD8GnLFA8SkA&s=19

In case the account is still protected:

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Samovar posted:

Dumb as hell,but I thought folk might enjoy it:
All of these are fantastic!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kim shoots with his hands, not his eyes. He's better under pressure.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Him whispering a prayer underneath his breath right before the shot is just fukkin *chef's kiss*

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Is there another way to pay the hotel fine so you can see the sweet spinners on Kims car?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

You can scab the money from Joyce amongst other things.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

BigHandsVince posted:

Is there another way to pay the hotel fine so you can see the sweet spinners on Kims car?

There are a few other methods to pay it and/or lower it. While you can avoid taking Kim's spinners away from him, I'm not sure they can get fitted during the time the game covers.

Main option is to ask someone rich for money. Usually Joyce. With great luck/rhetoric there's one other rich person. But the chances of getting to them on Day 1 are not high.
With enough Authority you can also lower the fine drastically. Though you might be a bit tight on day 2 rent that way. If you both Authority the bill down AND take notabribe from Joyce, you can actually get more money than you need off her for once, IIRC. Otherwise you always only ask for the amount of your bill.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

You don't really need that much money anyway. True hobocops find what they need on the streets.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You can also be an enterprising entrepreneur and sell your ideas in the free market. Get paid by the light bending capitalist

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The virgin Joyce: It's for the investigation, you see. It's not a bribe. I wouldn't want to taint the sanctity of the legal process. Banish the thought!

The Chad Evrarte: Here's a giant novelty check so everyone can see you're on my payroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The virgin Joyce: It's for the investigation, you see. It's not a bribe. I wouldn't want to taint the sanctity of the legal process. Banish the thought!

The Chad Evrarte: Here's a giant novelty check so everyone can see you're on my payroll.

Counterpoint: