Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mr. Lobe posted:

This reminds me of a class I took where we were asked to guess how thick a piece of paper folded 50 times would be. I think it was a high level cognitive psych course

I was closest but I was still off by orders of magnitude.

well it looks like one piece is about 0.007 inches thick, and if we fold it 50 times, it would increase in size by 2^50 power? so uh... 788 billion inches wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I love it when weird alarmist tabloid headlines accurately describe reality

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Lobe posted:

This reminds me of a class I took where we were asked to guess how thick a piece of paper folded 50 times would be. I think it was a high level cognitive psych course

I was closest but I was still off by orders of magnitude.

Two to the power of fifty may as well be ten to the power of fifteen (close enough to sell hard drives, anyway). Rule of thumb for paper thickness is one tenth of a millimetre, so drop four powers of ten to get ten to the power of eleven, or one hundred billion metres.

Now divide by c, which is a constant I can actually remember. Works out to six and a quarter light minutes, or three‐quarters of the way to the Sun.

:weed:

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Did all states report? Thats a huge drop from 2k+ deaths

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

jetz0r posted:

take off the filters and do a check

if it's still there, do a quick wipe down of the intake flappy valve to clear up any gunk on the seal line. i just checked my secure click and it was making a small sound when i had the exhaust blocked, cleaning the intake valve solved it.

edit: there's also a little buzzing on the secureclick from the speech diaphragm picking up the sound of me exhaling, that's normal.

What sort of check? Since yeah it does that too.
Basically the TL;DR for my secureclick was I noticed it making a sound like air escaping when I do the pos pressrue check, but nothing is escaping that I can tell, and my faceshield does not fog up. The same is true of my 7500. When I push down the button for the negative check the sound goes away or at least gets softer. The same was true of the 7500, just with closing the filters rather than pushing the button, obviously.
I took apart my HF800 since I was able to get a guide how, and when I did the same procedure above with it disassembled, I got what sounded like static or bubbling/percolating. Same issue where the button seems to make the sound go away or get much quieter.

I always pass a negative check on both masks.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

shizen posted:

COVID is a government employee and doesn't work on the weekend.

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
i'm still running off a jannsen from fuckin 6 months ago

europe is loving bullshit man

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

shizen posted:

this happens every weekend

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

ya

its saturday

look back at friday

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

safely taking off my mask at the superspreading wedding. "how could this have happened!!!!"

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1469433589813190659

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re unwitting all right.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CredulousAtBest posted:

i'm still running off a jannsen from fuckin 6 months ago

europe is loving bullshit man

lmao. maybe respect the chairman a bit more and he might send you a few

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.

Judakel posted:

lmao. maybe respect the chairman a bit more and he might send you a few

yeah i'm p mad about it

where is my drat booster you useless assholes!!

it sucks

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/rid1tweets/status/1469819552670392326

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1469842968492351493

Wow!

Omicron's over!

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

Bullfrog posted:

safely taking off my mask at the superspreading wedding. "how could this have happened!!!!"

I guess we’ve all been learning that Personal Safety is an extremely mutable concept to most people. I saw a photo from an indoor, mask-off event not too long ago featuring a friend of mine who had been wearing a mask and gloves as early as January 2020. They gave me an n95 they scored and warned me to wear it in public.

Anyway, any update on that blip in South Africa that Eric Topol was tweeting about? Is it just an error in the counting like people in his comments were saying?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

that's called a bear trap

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

probably the populace taking matters in their own hands by staying the gently caress home

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
got an email from my parents

hey guess what is worse? dead parents or embarrassing masks?

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
my boss is flying in from california next week and he wants to meet "in-person". they're also having the company christmas party on tuesday which from what i can gather will be a full on applebees suck and gently caress. my strategy is to claim i've been exposed to a covid+ person and i'm taking precautions. good idea y/n?

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Joe Chip posted:

my boss is flying in from california next week and he wants to meet "in-person". they're also having the company christmas party on tuesday which from what i can gather will be a full on applebees suck and gently caress. my strategy is to claim i've been exposed to a covid+ person and i'm taking precautions. good idea y/n?

the apps man won’t you think of THE APPS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BraveUlysses posted:

Are your parents what you would describe as “narcissistic”?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

BraveUlysses posted:

Parents like that I would not miss.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

BraveUlysses posted:

I mean, yeah, children can and probably should be traumatized by a person in a gas mask because if a person is wearing a gas mask it means that things have gotten so out of control that it's necessary to wear a gas mask. An airborne pathogen that maims and kills is traumatizing.

Like yeah, this poo poo's traumatic, but a gas mask is a symbol of the thing causing the trauma, not the thing causing the trauma.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

op if my parents were this stupid, I'd have disowned them even at risk of being disinherited

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone who thinks a respirator is scary and not what it's protecting against has terminal brainworms :brainworms:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

BraveUlysses posted:

the masks aren't even embarrassing they just inflict damage on people's cognitive dissonance

"im over here trying to ignore the pandemic and you taking it seriously makes me feel like a moron so im going to redirect that perceived slight back at you"

people I work with do it by asking if I need them to mask up for my comfort, implying that they only serve a superficial purpose

Anyway condolences, there's a reason I moved 1200 miles away from my parents.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No one has ever said “you’re scaring the kids by wearing that gas mask in the woodshop”.

I wonder what’s different about this one. :thunk:

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Zodium posted:

the goon is the English longbowman of posting, grotesquely deformed over decades from brain through skeleton and entire physiological apparatus to achieve feats of posting unthinkable to the common man.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

they changed it infrastructure over the weekend and a bunch of public testing sites weren't able to send in numbers lmao

zone
Dec 6, 2016

32,000? those are rookie numbers in this racket, we gotta pump 'em up, suck and gently caress, omicron biden

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

owns

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
every kid I've been around recently is fascinated with masks, nobody gives a gently caress except neurotic boomers

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

for real, kids DEFINITELY hate pretending to be ninjas, cyborgs, bane, etc

- a brain genius boomer

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Lucky not a lot of them are gonna be left by end of next year hopefully. Also going to take the over on the 32k by New Years once the dust is settled and actually excess death numbers are revealed.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Just checking in to brag about my awesome co-parent who is taking our son on a flight to Texas for the holidays for a huge family gathering with all sorts of elderly relatives. She's immunocompromised, too. No worries, she has cloth masks she bought at Old Navy for the both of them! There is nothing I can do at this point, I've already severed, so maybe like, wear an N95 around my kid for all of January, and sleep on the loving balcony in mid-winter or something? I don't know what I can do to minimize my viral load.

I am going to be furious when I am dead of the covid she exposed him to while she somehow remains asymptomatic. I want to live longer so I can watch the biosphere collapse

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

lmao at the 2.7% not popping positive

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

BraveUlysses posted:

Wow, I’m so sorry that your parents are such humongous shitbags, that’s crazy.

Someone looks stoked for the bloodshed.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Two to the power of fifty may as well be ten to the power of fifteen (close enough to sell hard drives, anyway). Rule of thumb for paper thickness is one tenth of a millimetre, so drop four powers of ten to get ten to the power of eleven, or one hundred billion metres.

Now divide by c, which is a constant I can actually remember. Works out to six and a quarter light minutes, or three‐quarters of the way to the Sun.

:weed:

alright but two drunken google searches tell me the answer is 0.76 AUs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

looks like he was on official fash business

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/state/washington/article250013589.html posted:

Ericksen posted a video about his trip to El Salvador on We Speak, a social media platform billed as a “constitutional and conservative, family friendly” platform “with no censorship,” and shared a link on his Facebook page.

“It’s always an interesting experience to travel to a different country to see how their election process works,” he says in the video. “In El Salvador, I was incredibly impressed with the organization of the election, the free and fair nature of the election, the ability for individuals to come and vote.”

He goes on to praise in-person voting, a requirement for voters to present photo identification, and other aspects of the election. The video also includes footage from the polls.

Footage shows Ericksen outfitted in an American flag face covering and wearing a lanyard apparently bearing credentials. He told McClatchy those credentials indicated his role as an election observer.

After the Feb. 28 election, the party of President Nayib Bukele and allies were set to claim a supermajority in the country’s Legislative Assembly. Critics fear the party is approaching authoritarian rule, according to The Washington Post’s election coverage.

Bukele’s actions have been compared to those of former U.S. President Donald Trump. He called a news conference on Election Day, The New York Times reported, to claim voting irregularities and mounted attacks on the press, the Supreme Electoral Tribunal, and attorney general.

Ericksen, who was operations director for Trump’s Western Washington campaign, said he was invited to El Salvador by multiple people, including the country’s vice president. The vice president had visited Washington last year, Ericksen said, and he hosted the official along with business and community leaders for events.

He says he paid for the trip to El Salvador with personal money, though he thinks a trip like this is part of any legislator’s role. He has proposed legislation that would end mail-in voting in Washington, require photo IDs to vote, make Election Day a state holiday, and institute other election-related changes.