Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cosmic Thing posted:

this poo poo is p serious and i cant tell if you guys get how crazy that weather was or are making fun of it. Someone even said us red staters don't have the structures necessary to keep us alive in these events and then cavalierly said enjoy climate change which implies we will all die and they are happy about it which is just creepy and gross and amid already learning that at least 100 people HAVE died and wasn't even probed for it.

but anyway im really sad about the loss of life. Just wanted to put that out there.

The loss of life is sad. The loss of life because of lackluster building code and zoning is criminal, especially in workplaces. The icing on the cake is that some of those people risked their lives for a measly $8/hr because Kentucky won't raise their minimum wage to something remotely livable (lol capitalism).

It's a crack-ping event. Those that were already crack-pinged are laughing because it's just another log on the "world is burning" bonfire that is climate change. Kentucky has pretty much adopted a "lol" stance publicly towards the science so the natural response from those that have moved on is going to be "lol." It's unfortunate, yes, but so are Kentucky's effective building code enforcement, or emergency management administration. But those might infringe on the average voting Kentuckian freedom to live in a favela.

That's not meant to be reflective on you, but your neighbors and elected officials. I lived in three of the affected states (IL, KY and TN), the entire region seems staunchly against progressing because they tie it to their politics, effectively voting against their own interests. I now live in Boebert's congressional district, so I've got my own electorial schadenfreude to hear about (moved here after she was elected).

Not much is going to survive an F5, but that doesn't mean you can't require hardened spaces in homes or workplaces for people to at least try to survive. The lol posts are more based in anger than you'd suspect, they're just already crack-pinged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the Trillbillies podcast hosts are ok. Tonya and Terance seem like good folk.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Earwicker posted:

there's another layer on top of the typical goon/gbs attitude, and it ties in with the bullshit culture wars that have been building up over the last few decades. in recent previous disasters, especially when they affect more "liberal" areas, we've had far right christians saying these disasters occur because god is punishing people for gay marriage or abortion being legal etc. and i dont mean just on edgy internet forums but like in actual tv interviews and in their churches. so people get into this kind of ugly vengeance mindset and say the same kind of poo poo from the other side, which is stupid because the people who were killed are not the ones responsible for this culture war poo poo

yeh, ~hate~ is gross no matter if you're liberal or republican. id rather practice what those christian's prophet ~tried~ and failed to teach them then be a part of some weird Orwellian fist shaking non-sensible back and forth culture war.

Cosmic Thing fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 12, 2021

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hating stuff takes too much energy

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Cosmic Thing posted:

yeh, ~hate~ is gross no matter if your liberal or republican.

No, hate from liberals is perfectly justified because the republicans think everyone who isn't a white male supremacist is evil and must die. It's like saying it's gross to hate nazies.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The loss of life is sad. The loss of life because of lackluster building code and zoning is criminal, especially in workplaces. The icing on the cake is that some of those people risked their lives for a measly $8/hr because Kentucky won't raise their minimum wage to something remotely livable (lol capitalism).

It's a crack-ping event. Those that were already crack-pinged are laughing because it's just another log on the "world is burning" bonfire that is climate change. Kentucky has pretty much adopted a "lol" stance publicly towards the science so the natural response from those that have moved on is going to be "lol." It's unfortunate, yes, but so are Kentucky's effective building code enforcement, or emergency management administration. But those might infringe on the average voting Kentuckian freedom to live in a favela.

That's not meant to be reflective on you, but your neighbors and elected officials. I lived in three of the affected states (IL, KY and TN), the entire region seems staunchly against progressing because they tie it to their politics, effectively voting against their own interests. I now live in Boebert's congressional district, so I've got my own electorial schadenfreude to hear about (moved here after she was elected).

Not much is going to survive an F5, but that doesn't mean you can't require hardened spaces in homes or workplaces for people to at least try to survive. The lol posts are more based in anger than you'd suspect, they're just already crack-pinged.

that is a great drat post. honestly i think everyone kinda wants the world to burn and all be done and like for different reasons. like those religious folks are probably like yeah well we need our prophecies ​to be played out and then there's the folks looking around at this terribly painful and hosed up world we've created that is now on fire and are like yep this sucks i want to get off now please. yeh lol capitalism. oh and yeh i live in TN :sigh:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Cosmic Thing posted:

that is a great drat post. honestly i think everyone kinda wants the world to burn and all be done and like for different reasons. like those religious folks are probably like yeah well we need our prophecies ​to be played out and then there's the folks looking around at this terribly painful and hosed up world we've created that is now on fire and are like yep this sucks i want to get off now please. yeh lol capitalism. oh and yeh i live in TN :sigh:

Group 2 is a natural response to Group 1.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yaldabaoth posted:

No, hate from liberals is perfectly justified because the republicans think everyone who isn't a white male supremacist is evil and must die. It's like saying it's gross to hate nazies.

imo there is nothing at all wrong with hating on shitheads like rand paul. gently caress him

but implying that the people who died in this storm somehow deserved it because they live in a red state or have local leaders who ignore climate change is stupid and a pretty awful thing to do

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Earwicker posted:

that's a fair point. but even so if you go back as recently as just the 1980's there were far fewer tornados in that decade compared to the 2010's, was radar technology so bad in the 80's that most storms would have gone unnoticed?

Bad Purchase posted:

I don't know, but I do know that weather radar networks have improved significantly in my lifetime. Specifically I remember locals news starting to brag about their fancy new weather radar in the late 90s that made their forecasts and storm warnings that much better than those other guys. I would guess there were pretty steady incremental upgrades in both hardware quality (sensitivity / resolution), tower coverage, and sensor data processing over the past 50 years. I don't think you'll find that they just flipped a switch in one specific year and the tracking of tornadoes went from bad to good. Just a guess :shrug:
Late to the discussion but the resolution and expertise to identify tornadoes by radar was nascent and applied to tornado hot spots in tornado alley in the late 90s and progressively rolled out north and east through the 2000s. A lot of it was just data processing expertise and a lot of research is being/was done to comb through whatever radar data got saved in the past but wide, reliable, primary tornado stats from radar is a 2010s thing. Even in the 2000s it was only used for tornado warning products and 'serious' studies relied on spotters and damage paths while the analysis was proved out practically.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sid Vicious posted:

really? whelp i'll exchange apologies whenever you're ready. :)

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Earwicker posted:

imo there is nothing at all wrong with hating on shitheads like rand paul. gently caress him

but implying that the people who died in this storm somehow deserved it because they live in a red state or have local leaders who ignore climate change is stupid and a pretty awful thing to do

My problem is people who tell liberals to stop hating altogether instead of letting them focus on the shitheads who deserve it, because the shitheads sure as hell aren't going to stop hating liberals.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Earwicker posted:

thank you for that. cuz again that poster was not probed either. I live in a red state. i can't help that nor the fact i don't have the money to leave do i deserve to suffer because my states leaders are douchebag misogynistic republican asswipes? or what about those people in the candle factory just trying to earn a living who DID die.

Yaldabaoth posted:

My problem is people who tell liberals to stop hating altogether instead of letting them focus on the shitheads who deserve it, because the shitheads sure as hell aren't going to stop hating liberals.

yeh but you see how that is a slippery slope? first adding negativity to negativity NEVER solved anything to say the least and secondly now you have people loling over everyone in a whole geographical area which also includes liberals.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Earwicker posted:

i agree with this but i think there's only been like.. 2 posts itt that even remotely approach that? and now a shitload of posts getting mad about them. unless the beef/my shoes rage is about the jokes because if so lmao

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well i think it sparked a productive discussion that is clearly void of rage? so im confused by your comment and you can poo poo on it if you want but im enjoying reading other people's perspectives because i read one perspective that really did hurt me but also did get me wondering and i think bringing it up is expanding this conversation and pulling out some cool thoughts and nobody is ~angry~.

also i think a lot of people are encouraging empathy, and your comment is kinda... ...hurtful?

Cosmic Thing fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 12, 2021

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Cosmic Thing posted:

yeh but you see how that is a slippery slope? first adding negativity to negativity NEVER solved anything to say the least and secondly now you have people loling over everyone in a whole geographical area which also includes liberals.

Slippery slope is a logical fallacy. Also the “NEVER” is an absolute statement logical fallacy.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Slippery slope is a logical fallacy. Also the “NEVER” is an absolute statement logical fallacy.

haha oh you're totally right.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Cosmic Thing posted:

really? whelp i'll exchange apologies whenever you're ready. :)

being upset someone stalked and gaslit me is different than hating someone

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Cosmic Thing posted:

this poo poo is p serious and i cant tell if you guys get how crazy that weather was or are making fun of it
this is a bit like asking the trump lol thread if they realize how crazy it is or are just making fun of it

people are grieving the literal death of entire ecosystems, let's not pretend to be offended that some of them are cracking jokes

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Cosmic Thing posted:

yeh but you see how that is a slippery slope?

Nope, that's like saying black people hating the klan is a slippery slope.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sid Vicious posted:

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really appreciated the thoughts in this thread but im dipping out of this conversation now. Thanks again.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
as a formal show of empathy I would like to apologize specifically to the family of those who were rolling coal right up until the minute they were plucked out of their trucks and shot straight in to the stratosphere, turning into stars team rocket style. :dings:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I love how republicans think it's alright for them to hate everything and wrong for anybody to hate them because they're the "good" guys who are simply doing the "morally right" thing while everyone else is an evil subhuman who wants to destroy the republicans out of pure jealousy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
be mad if you want but if you're making up a theoretical republican construct in your mind to argue with thats not healthy imo

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if biden had abolished suburbs like he promised, most of this could've been avoided

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
enough politics in the serious tornado discussion SLASH tasteless jokes megathread gosh darn it

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

did you hear the one about the guy who got picked up by a tornado? you know what never mind its probably over your head

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I've ridden the Round Up and Gravitron at the carnival and I can't imagine a tornado is much worse yeesh

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hector Delgado posted:

I've ridden the Round Up and Gravitron at the carnival and I can't imagine a tornado is much worse yeesh

the gravitron seven times in a row made me barf the most violently i have ever barfed before

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
what's the round up? I assume the gravitron is the one where you get whirled around and the floor goes out from under you

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Aardvark! posted:

what's the round up? I assume the gravitron is the one where you get whirled around and the floor goes out from under you

its what they spray on weeds to kill then

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sid Vicious posted:

the gravitron seven times in a row made me barf the most violently i have ever barfed before

lol what the first 6 times were fine and then after (or... During???) number 7 you became a fire hose??

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Aardvark! posted:

lol what the first 6 times were fine and then after (or... During???) number 7 you became a fire hose??

right after i got off from ride number 7 i just let loose, sorry for ruining your shoes Max

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
It's basically the same thing, but you're inside a UFO for the Gravitron. The Round Up is open air and tilts more.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Sid Vicious posted:

did you hear the one about the guy who got picked up by a tornado? you know what never mind its probably over your head

Lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I just looked it up and it turns out I've only ever done this even lamer open air version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtjGZgssEEI

Enjoy that exquisite video quality :discourse:

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Jesus christ. Anyways here is the Round Up

https://youtu.be/6NAZtd-qHSQ

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'm surprised we went this far without a sharknado reference so here we are

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Crespolini posted:

dunno. ground too wet for basements maybe?

There are houses with basements here but typically it’s only nicer, more expensive houses that have basements. When I was house shopping a few years ago, pretty much any house with a basement was outside of our budget. And the tornado didn’t just hit the upper class, nicer neighborhoods.

E: Yes, Kentucky is a red state but Bowling Green is a college town and leans left.

Sublimer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

EorayMel posted:

I'm surprised we went this far without a sharknado reference so here we are

There are no sharks in Kentucky as it is not near a coast. Also lacking the presence of Tara Reid.

The IL/KY/TN area is more likely to be overtaken with a raccoonado or possumnado (or opossumnado). Maybe an occasional deernado if it's around rut.