Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

The funniest raid quest was the absolute murderstorm of red chocobos spamming vuln-meteor because people couldn't wait to spawn their one and you just had this clusterfuck of meteors in a small area murdering everyone

don't forget the bozja red chocobo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

*monotone* bozja deez nuts

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Aurora posted:

don't forget the bozja red chocobo

I always forget it because I slam the enlist button and then get warped in and go "Ah gently caress I've done this yet again"

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

wow is literally the game where you, yes you, do all the incredible work of taking down deathwing, a world ending threat and then at the last moment thrall, blizzards oc, shows up like "thanks adventurer, now i will deal the finishing blow because we have decided the player character cant be important" and you wanna say that its not in a league of its own in terms of absolute garbage.

Early GW2, Destiny 2, and BL3 also all did this poo poo so I'm not sure what's with western MMO writers not wanting players to be the protagonists of the game they're playing

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think it's a combo of wanting to write their own characters and not wanting to force characterization on a player's avatar that might go against how the player sees them.

FF XIV just says hell with it and gives the WoL a bit of personality including dialogue choices after the base game.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Endorph posted:

the crystal tower stuff is like an hour long idk why it trips people up

I think it's because while it gives a whole lot of important backstory and sets a bunch of things up in the future you don't really know or care much about Allag at that point and the actual plot of it is kind of dull and straightforward imho

Also it's so easy (at least before the stat squish made it a tad harder?) That you don't see any mechanics until the last raid (which is by far the most interesting one) which makes the gameplay kind of dull

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 12, 2021

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

my grudge (unserious) against crystal tower is that the default raid UI setup on console (or at least was for me) is insanely bad so I loaded into my first raid with a bunch of bars plopped right in the middle of my screen

Sumigahara Haseo
Nov 22, 2020
https://twitter.com/SumigaharaAun/status/1470162013615796231

Inspired by Marine playing Bus Simulator

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

remember that time nero was turning into bubblegum

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
my grudge against crystal tower is that people will not Stand On The Pads Please

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Where's the bus going?

Sumigahara Haseo
Nov 22, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

Where's the bus going?

The harbor.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mokinokaro posted:

I think it's a combo of wanting to write their own characters and not wanting to force characterization on a player's avatar that might go against how the player sees them.

FF XIV just says hell with it and gives the WoL a bit of personality including dialogue choices after the base game.

I think people love the WoL's characterization because they do a good job at mirroring the player's reactions to whatever else is happening in the scene, as well as give dialogue options that would reflect what the player actually would say in that situation

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
All this talk about MMOs and I'm just here having my life utterly consumed by Monster Rancher DX after only playing the GBA ones as a kid. Speaking of which, is the Monster Rancher anime any good? Obviously it's a video game tie-in aimed at little kids so I don't expect it to be great, but I still find stuff like that enjoyable sometimes as long as the writing's decent.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don't play MMOs

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I. M. Gei posted:

I don't play MMOs

u might not even know what an mmo is

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I don't play MMOs
i can recommend a good one

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Chicken Thumbs posted:

All this talk about MMOs and I'm just here having my life utterly consumed by Monster Rancher DX after only playing the GBA ones as a kid. Speaking of which, is the Monster Rancher anime any good? Obviously it's a video game tie-in aimed at little kids so I don't expect it to be great, but I still find stuff like that enjoyable sometimes as long as the writing's decent.

I liked it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think the first season of the MR anime (dubbed) is on youtube from the publisher

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I don't play MMOs
the galka in ff11 being a male only race is something you can explain, though

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i think im going to watch evangelion subbed for once

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

mycophobia posted:

i think im going to watch evangelion subbed for once

Godspeed, Gamer.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Chicken Thumbs posted:

Between it, the first season of Pokemon, and the first season of Digimon, it was my favorite, but little kid me also didn't have very discerning taste.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ahh gently caress it i switched to the dub. dont feel like reading

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

mycophobia posted:

gross

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

mycophobia posted:

braver than our troops

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
man this bluray is gorgeous. still couldn't pay for fly me to the moon though! assholes!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember playing og guild wars and exploring the maps, you had this one tiny path to follow and you could totally wander off the road and just explore into the incredibly dangerous wilderness full of enemy death-clumps if you wanted to. I remember some jungle area I was exploring with some guildmates, and we happened upon this huge graveyard crypt area, guarded by four skeleton dragons and it had a boss in the middle. And it was just THERE, no quest to do it at the time iirc, just some crazy hard optional fight for no reason. It ruled, guild wars 1 was great fun

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ffxiv also has that

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember playing og guild wars and exploring the maps, you had this one tiny path to follow and you could totally wander off the road and just explore into the incredibly dangerous wilderness full of enemy death-clumps if you wanted to. I remember some jungle area I was exploring with some guildmates, and we happened upon this huge graveyard crypt area, guarded by four skeleton dragons and it had a boss in the middle. And it was just THERE, no quest to do it at the time iirc, just some crazy hard optional fight for no reason. It ruled, guild wars 1 was great fun

I remember trying to get back into OG guild wars and I couldn't find any party to join so I just had AI buddies and it was frustrating to get anywhere because the AI would keep making terrible decisions.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ff14 should steal guild wars 2's glamour system except without all the premium currency stuff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

my grudge (unserious) against crystal tower is that the default raid UI setup on console (or at least was for me) is insanely bad so I loaded into my first raid with a bunch of bars plopped right in the middle of my screen

Lol this happened to me when I swapped from PS4 to 5 and didn't realise you had to do something specific to carry over your settings

God knows why default shoves all the alliance bars in the middle at max size

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems the next Gridman anime project is a movie:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/12/13-1/next-gridman-project-revealed-as-gridman-x-dynazenon-anime-film

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Still crazy that the staff wanted Yuta/Rikka to be a thing when it's clear that Rikka/Akane has more chemistry and is 100x better

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

twitter has shown me both are good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Still crazy that the staff wanted Yuta/Rikka to be a thing when it's clear that Rikka/Akane has more chemistry and is 100x better

Speaking of, I’m curious if they’re planning to bring back some cast members on both sides for this upcoming movie (Anti and Second are almost guaranteed at least)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Willo567 posted:

wasn't the point of the staff interview, literally that the staff decided not to make yuta/rikka a thing. like yeah they mentioned some people on staff wanted it but. the staff as a body decided against it because it wasn't a good idea.

not the first time it's happened on a trigger anime either, the one dude in lwa was initially thought of to be a love interest for akko, before they realized that would've been pointless and offered very little to either her character or to the script as a whole so he mostly ended up being a friend guy and akko got much more emphasized relationship building with diana. the staff made good decisions.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 13, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

late stage endwalker brain

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009