Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

did they nerf Charge? it doesn't feel as strong as previous games. it's still strong.. probably 2x.. but it's always been 2.5x damage. I dunno, almost doesn't feel worth taking up a slot. Never thought I'd say that

I think its around 1.75 now. It's definitely not worth a slot especially since you can get charge gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

With an almighty build charge/concentrate isn't really worth it, but with a phys or elemental build impaler's animus lets you hit the whole field without worrying about getting resisted or nulled. I love the Donum skills though, even with an almighty build

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've done some experimenting and it seems like Stun Needle is a better choice over Aramasa. It doesn't always hit multiple times, and it doesn't always crit, which sucks, but a fully charged 4x Stun Needle is insane. I just did like 3000 damage at level 48 to a miniboss

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Plus it's better to spam for crit farming in random encounters despite having 4 less hits

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

What are the best end game Strength abilities? I'm thinking Akashic Arts and Murakumo...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Frenz posted:

What are the best end game Strength abilities? I'm thinking Akashic Arts and Murakumo...

Yeah my mc's only attack by the end was murakumo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frenz posted:

i used those + the one that lowers defense just since it was generally useful for basically every battle.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope the V expac/sequel brings back Guns or some similar splitting up on phys moves.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

sourdough posted:

Yeah my mc's only attack by the end was murakumo

yeah that's a good point.. why have a normal Strength attack at all?

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

I guess the drawback on the almighty strength skills is that they're single target and only hit once (so less chance of getting crits for bonus press turns), but when you're just going for demolishing bosses that's not much of a problem.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I like yabusame shot a lot for utility

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

i used those + the one that lowers defense just since it was generally useful for basically every battle.

I've had fang breaker since the first time I launched it lol. It's too good to replace

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

strange journey is so good. there are a lot of cool features i wish other games had (unlock guaranteed fusion accidents, toggle fiend fusions, easier ways of giving demons more spells on fusions).

the rare monster system creates some smt2 level fiend terror. you can see their icons on the minimap and its like a 6% chance to be a fiend. most of the time its just free xp, but that 6% gets your blood pumping. black rider almost killed every one of my demons lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

mbt posted:

strange journey is so good. there are a lot of cool features i wish other games had (unlock guaranteed fusion accidents, toggle fiend fusions, easier ways of giving demons more spells on fusions).

the rare monster system creates some smt2 level fiend terror. you can see their icons on the minimap and its like a 6% chance to be a fiend. most of the time its just free xp, but that 6% gets your blood pumping. black rider almost killed every one of my demons lol

Strange Journey is a SMT game I think everyone should play. It’s so underrated. It does a really good job of balancing the difficulty of the dungeons (especially the latter ones) with the abilities you get that let you explore longer.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I want a new Devil Summoner game. It seems like a series they could easily revive since everyone loves action rpgs

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Strange Journey is a SMT game I think everyone should play. It’s so underrated. It does a really good job of balancing the difficulty of the dungeons (especially the latter ones) with the abilities you get that let you explore longer.

Frenz posted:

I want a new Devil Summoner game. It seems like a series they could easily revive since everyone loves action rpgs

yup to both of these

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hoping they can reuse these demon assets for like 7 years of spinoffs.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

would kill for dds style with these models

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training posted:

hoping they can reuse these demon assets for like 7 years of spinoffs.

SMTV:A is gonna be sick

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

SMTV:A is gonna be sick

I keep thinking this while playing, they have a great core here so I would absolutely not complain about getting an Apocalypse style sequel every year for the next little while

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

strange journey is loving sick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

on NG+2, after running from beginning to end it is really striking how out of place the school dungeon is. i guess it was supposed to be a mini warmup for the actual dungeons later but it's so tiny and none of your schoolmates are interesting or developed characters plus it's centered around a new girl who shows up in the story for like 10 minutes of cutscenes. So bizarre. I wonder if there was a early version of this game with a lot more of the old-school map that you get in Tokyo, now it just feels like weird patches of glue between the open world maps. It's a simple but neat touch when the first area opens up a new tunnel to the third, wonder why they couldn't have a few more transitions like that to make the underworld a bit more cohesive

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

on NG+2, after running from beginning to end it is really striking how out of place the school dungeon is. i guess it was supposed to be a mini warmup for the actual dungeons later but it's so tiny and none of your schoolmates are interesting or developed characters plus it's centered around a new girl who shows up in the story for like 10 minutes of cutscenes. So bizarre. I wonder if there was a early version of this game with a lot more of the old-school map that you get in Tokyo, now it just feels like weird patches of glue between the open world maps. It's a simple but neat touch when the first area opens up a new tunnel to the third, wonder why they couldn't have a few more transitions like that to make the underworld a bit more cohesive

It's such a bizarre interlude, feels like a random prototype for a completely different game. I thought we were going to get something similar between every area like a kind of goofy attempt at Persona style "back to base" structure and I think overall it's better without it, but drat I'd love to see some cut content / behind the scenes stuff. The finished game came out really well albeit they forgot the plot 1/3 in but it clearly had a weird development

I'm still savouring it and in the fourth area but I'm fairly confident I'm not going to hit the brakes and go home to get a good sleep for school in the morning at this stage

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I broke down and am using the Macca DLC. I need money to do fusion experiments. It's fun and all my demons cost six figures. I'm sorry

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've managed to get past Demi-Fiend using Mediarahan twice now but I barely have resources left after that lol. I sure hope he doesn't use it more than once

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Finally beat this after restarting halfway because Normal is basically Easy and I felt like I was cheating myself. To have finally played Nocturne to completion and then this game in the same year... bliss

It's kinda crazy how easy Shiva is in comparison to demi fiend though, I don't know why some people are calling him the base game "superboss." I basically just got lucky with demifiend though lol, he kicked my teeth in so many times

anyway give me a game with a nocturne level cast and this game's mechanics and I'll love it forever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sleng Teng posted:

Finally beat this after restarting halfway because Normal is basically Easy and I felt like I was cheating myself. To have finally played Nocturne to completion and then this game in the same year... bliss

It's kinda crazy how easy Shiva is in comparison to demi fiend though, I don't know why some people are calling him the base game "superboss." I basically just got lucky with demifiend though lol, he kicked my teeth in so many times

anyway give me a game with a nocturne level cast and this game's mechanics and I'll love it forever

its just cuz hes a optional fight with a level higher than the story final boss. demifiend is clearly where they put the effort, i dont have the DLC but when i eventually want to replay this game im gonna be using it so i can slay the Demifiend.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this is the first smt game i ever got 100% compendium...fuckin badass game. cant wait to see what atlus does next, hopefully a decade of persona 6 spin offs.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the megami tensei 2 jack frost owns

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just got my rear end kicked by Abdiel, having a light weakness on Nahobino was a bad spot of luck. That’s an easy fix.

Can y’all tell me what your Yoshitsune builds look like because I cannot live without Hassou Tobi and want to make him as strong as possible.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can y’all tell me what your Yoshitsune builds look like because I cannot live without Hassou Tobi and want to make him as strong as possible.

I have a level 99 Yoshitsune with:

High Phys Pleroma
High Restore
Dragon Eye
Abyssal Mask
Great Life Spring
Null Dark
Hassou Tobi
Impaler's Animus

Should probably replace Great Life Spring with Enduring Soul or something. Idk.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pleroma and High Pleroma also stack if you want Maximum Damage.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Oh I didn't know that. Probably get rid of Abyssal Mask or something too.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the counter/retaliate moves seem bad in this game. I've seen it proc exactly once for like 250dmg. Doesn't seem worth a skill slot

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm playin through Strange Journey right now and some rear end in a top hat is making me get him an apple and stuff. Good timing with the extra players in the scene as always

I wish it was easier to get a source more than once

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kongming posted:

Oh I didn't know that. Probably get rid of Abyssal Mask or something too.

Do not do this if you intend to fight demi fiend lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

On the final boss of strange journey and its kicking my rear end. I went and got every horsemen and made a giga mother harlot, and it still kicked my rear end. It randomly ejects demons and had a shifting immunity and I cant tell what it is ever

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

On the final boss of strange journey and its kicking my rear end. I went and got every horsemen and made a giga mother harlot, and it still kicked my rear end. It randomly ejects demons and had a shifting immunity and I cant tell what it is ever

I really like SJ but my memory of the final boss is that it's way too luck dependent and can just delete you if it feels like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Lmao. I accidentally ran into Cleopatra from the DLC and wound up mopping the floor with her because my team is all set up to deal a punishing amount of Dark damage for Abdiel. A bit of good luck after the bad luck I had previously. Onwards!