Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Zomboid's thing is that in time (which will be surprisingly fast) little by little the infrastructure breaks down and you have to become self-sufficient. Electric grid goes down, you don't have running water anymore, food stores in markets etc. won't respawn... most of the times I've played I never made it that far, though. The hordes get me way before I'm anywhere near that level of survivor.

Mine are all goals towards being able to survive long term, my end game being, “this could last until I got overconfident with a zombie pack.”

First, securing an area. Next, clearing the local spot and making sure I’ve got necessary tools. Farming, trapping, and fishing skills get established. Make sure I’ve got a large replenishable water source.

I’ve added some mods to extend the long term surviving aspect, Long Term Survival and…. Filchers (sp?) Farming and Cooking times. Once I get a base set up to where things are good, I then go explore the big special areas of the map, including Rosewood prison and secret military complex, east of West Point super mall, and sometimes consider the Riverside country club. I think there’s a big hospital somewhere too?

I also change initial settings to building and car stories to moderate or high. More fun to stumble across a story in a house than simply another empty house to loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Vib Rib posted:

I played a pretty good amount of A19, would you say the biggest change is the worldgen and new POIs?

There are a ton of new and newly revamped POIs.
They have a new stamp system that fits them all together a lot more naturally.
A bunch of visual changes on some zombies and a few seem quite a bit tougher.
The zombs have some new changes (senses) you can set that make them even tougher.
Vehicles can now be colored and modded.
A range of new FO4-like pipe weapons that are not as good as their normal counterparts but can just be repaired with pipes easily available.
Loot system has been changed and is tiered according to danger of area.
I've been getting blue lootbags from Lumberjacks with a lot more ammo and stuff.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

OgNar posted:

There are a ton of new and newly revamped POIs.

seriously, like 200 brand new ones and a large number of the old ones are very different. also there are just brand new concepts of what a POI is (e.g. I found a cul de sac with 5 or so houses under construction and I'm pretty sure it's all one POI)

OgNar posted:

A range of new FO4-like pipe weapons that are not as good as their normal counterparts but can just be repaired with pipes easily available.

also these are craftable on day 1 with very ordinary materials (I think some pipe and glue)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If the pipe weapons are new those are an amazing addition. Having a one shot shotgun/rifle early on has been a godsend. Seriously loving this update so far.

Edit: My favorite part of this game is when you open your inventory for the first time in a while and you look like this:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 13, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah the pipe weapons are a new thing in A20, previously there was only the blunderbuss (conceptually the same, but only for shotgun)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You can't get a saw without a considerable supply of copper (or trading if you get lucky I guess, but I wouldn't count on that). Anything gated behind forging isn't really going to help you bootstrap out of the stone age.

Panning is definitely a horseshit fallback if the RNG has screwed you though, and won't solve the basic problem since unless something is seriously bugged about your game no nuggets means there won't be any copper in the near underground either, so you'll blow all that time sitting around rolling the dice on panning over and over, finally save up enough for a pick, and then wear it out before you find any more metal. I think they just gotta either guarantee you'll get some around your starting location or more clearly signpost when an area's no good and you should move on than "check the manual and see if any ore veins match your local bedrock"

I mean you need like 200 copper units to build a prospecting pick and regular pick, which would almost guarantee finding a copper vein, which almost certainly gets you to a saw. It's less about bootstrapping out of the stone age, that can almost certainly be done with panning alone for just those two things, and you can get a relatively nice, relatively safe primitive house set up with just stone tools after all. It's just that it would be nice to have a semi-automatable copper/tin/whatever else comes from panning operation while you're out searching for the rarer metals.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

explosivo posted:

If the pipe weapons are new those are an amazing addition. Having a one shot shotgun/rifle early on has been a godsend. Seriously loving this update so far.

Edit: My favorite part of this game is when you open your inventory for the first time in a while and you look like this:

The quintessential murder hobo game.

There was always that big 3rd party map generator, wonder how it holds up compared to the new 7DTD map generator.

Welp, looks like I'm probably gonna lose another week to 7DTD to find out.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

You don't need a propick until you're trying to get bronze, by the time you've accumulated 40 copper nuggets you know where more copper is or you know it isn't in your local area and have fully committed to wasting your own time mining for it where you are regardless. In the latter case, why would the game take that away from you

The game already has a creative mode if you don't want to engage with survival's "explore the map, forage for what you need, maybe you have to move to a better location to build what you want" gimmick. You can even switch between them on the fly! Throwing in an arbitrary timer you have to wait to run down between letting you spawn whatever you want would not be an improvement.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 13, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

The quintessential murder hobo game.

There was always that big 3rd party map generator, wonder how it holds up compared to the new 7DTD map generator.

Welp, looks like I'm probably gonna lose another week to 7DTD to find out.

the new map gen is a completely different and much more evolved animal, really just try the vanilla settings and poke around a bit and you'll see immediately

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just be prepared because the worldgen takes like 10 minutes and it doesn't really do a "Hey you sure you want to do this??" before clicking it lol. I watched the video about how they piece together the procgen worlds and it's pretty neat how they build the towns with prefabs. Honestly having a new world gives this game so much life because every time I played I'd be doing roughly the same thing at roughly the same place. I spawned like 500m from the trader and the town starts just beyond that in my game so it's been so much easier getting up to speed between the quests and easy access to town.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Panning is definitely a horseshit fallback if the RNG has screwed you though, and won't solve the basic problem since unless something is seriously bugged about your game no nuggets means there won't be any copper in the near underground either, so you'll blow all that time sitting around rolling the dice on panning over and over, finally save up enough for a pick, and then wear it out before you find any more metal.

When did you hack my system and take video captures of my first 10 hours in this game

I wound up having to travel 500 blocks to find my first actual copper nuggets, but before that I did the panning thing to get a hammer and pick like the game said to. Once I really started exploring outside my home biome, doing like game week long circular journeys, I started finding lots of copper. Then on the return leg, I happened to swim across a lake with a tiny island like 50 blocks from my base that had a bush on it, obscuring the surface, and there was some copper hiding behind it on the side away from my house. I dunno if, apart from that, I just had poo poo luck, or being in a peridotite biome is bad because either it has a lower spawn rate, or the rocks are all sorta greeny brown to begin with so copper doesn't stand out as much on them.

I wound up starting a new world once I found out this game has a modest but promising mod scene, did a few world gens just to see what it was like and on all of them I found copper within like 15 minutes of starting.

I managed to scrounge together enough materials for 1 black bronze pick, so I'm about to roam the land looking for an actual source of alloy materials. I've already found a zinc deposit, and some surface silver in the middle of a quartz patch. Not really sure what sort of biome I should be hunting for for best results.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 13, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is there anything like Project Zomboid but turn based? I've tried CDDA but it's a little too complex for me and I thought I should see if there's anything easier out there before bashing my head against a wall trying to learn it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

metasynthetic posted:

When did you hack my system and take video captures of my first 10 hours in this game

I wound up having to travel 500 blocks to find my first actual copper nuggets, but before that I did the panning thing to get a hammer and pick like the game said to. Once I really started exploring outside my home biome, doing like game week long circular journeys, I started finding lots of copper. Then on the return leg, I happened to swim across a lake with a tiny island like 50 blocks from my base that had a bush on it, obscuring the surface, and there was some copper hiding behind it on the side away from my house. I dunno if, apart from that, I just had poo poo luck, or being in a peridotite biome is bad because either it has a lower spawn rate, or the rocks are all sorta greeny brown to begin with so copper doesn't stand out as much on them.

I wound up starting a new world once I found out this game has a modest but promising mod scene, did a few world gens just to see what it was like and on all of them I found copper within like 15 minutes of starting.

I managed to scrounge together enough materials for 1 black bronze pick, so I'm about to roam the land looking for an actual source of alloy materials. I've already found a zinc deposit, and some surface silver in the middle of a quartz patch. Not really sure what sort of biome I should be hunting for for best results.

oh geez does the guide tell you to pan now that's evil. I only found out panning existed as a mechanic because someone else showed me their bony soil refinery.

I think the biome thing gets overstated a bit - overall chances vary in different host rocks in some aspergating way I never found a real source on, but the difference doesn't seem THAT significant. It's just the most obvious visual indicator for the handful of edge cases where an ore doesn't appear at all in that kind of rock, so you can look at a sandstone desert and immediately know you won't be finding any tin there, say. The common ores appear in every common kind of rock, AFAIK, peridotite included.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

"someone else showed me their bony soil refinery" heh

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

You don't need a propick until you're trying to get bronze, by the time you've accumulated 40 copper nuggets you know where more copper is or you know it isn't in your local area and have fully committed to wasting your own time mining for it where you are regardless. In the latter case, why would the game take that away from you

The game already has a creative mode if you don't want to engage with survival's "explore the map, forage for what you need, maybe you have to move to a better location to build what you want" gimmick. You can even switch between them on the fly! Throwing in an arbitrary timer you have to wait to run down between letting you spawn whatever you want would not be an improvement.

Sometimes setting up timers to do things before you go out to do other things is part of the survival game experience and provides the good brain chemicals and can be described as part of an "engaging loop".

Or I dunno just play creative mode games are dumb and no one should play them I guess.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Or just double ore spawn in world gen since you're single player.

Or find a commodity trader to build next to and use them to stay in bronze tier forever.

Maybe at some point I'll figure out and do the block chiseling thing instead of going on and on in the survival loop and then burning out when I try to get to steel tier.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Steel tier is really hurting for a lack of reasons to bother with it, but until some more groundwork is laid for automation or bigger enemies I'm not sure what that'd be. Presumably at least some of that crazy ambitious stuff in the roadmap is in development and they just keep rolling out new kinds of fern cause getting that presentable takes longer

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 14, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, I can see it being a thing on a multiplayer server where one weirdo dedicated person does it in order to supply the rest, but as solo it can just be so rough to get the resources needed based entirely on RNG world gen, not to mention time.

The tool and armor stats of steel are neat as compared to iron, I just can't really justify them being that neat to do them in single player.

Doubling ore spawn was fun though, I was able to do a lot of things with metal that I hadn't before as it was a precious commodity.

And a new fern? Try getting drunk for... reasons?!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I think that's where they're planning to eventually slot in steam power, as a steel-tier equivalent to windmills and helve hammers and stuff, but there's very little that can be added via modding that's useful and different enough to make it exciting

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Huh. It never clicked with me until now that you can just cast a pickaxe. For some reason I thought you needed an anvil and had to smith it. That would have made things soooo much easier.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So in 7DTD if I die during the blood moon whatever I just respawn and there's no more zombies? I prepped like a motherfucker and of course got clipped immediately because of a mistimed sledgehammer swing and killed within minutes lol but when I respawned there were no more zombie so why wouldn't I just let them kill me asap instead of fight the horde? Loot?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

explosivo posted:

So in 7DTD if I die during the blood moon whatever I just respawn and there's no more zombies? I prepped like a motherfucker and of course got clipped immediately because of a mistimed sledgehammer swing and killed within minutes lol but when I respawned there were no more zombie so why wouldn't I just let them kill me asap instead of fight the horde? Loot?
Blood Moon is hit or miss for each person. It's a good source of EXP, but you can turn it off if you don't find it fun.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 14, 2021

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Blood moons are my favorite thing about 7 Days :shrug: We usually crank up the blood moon difficulty on our servers and some of the best gaming I've had in years is fending off a crazy huge horde with friends

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh I just didn't know if it was bugged because it just ended when I died, from the zombies I looted afterwards there did seem to be some decent loot so I could see if you were able to take out a bunch it might be worth it. I just had to laugh at how much time I spent preparing for it and how quickly everything went to poo poo.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

explosivo posted:

Dying gives you an XP penalty, and also reduces your "gamestage" which is the primary factor that determines the quality of loot you get from everything.

I don't so much like playing during the blood moon itself, but surviving it gives a great goal for the entire rest of the game. That 15 stressful minutes gives a meaning to all the base building and looting and crafting you do during the 7 hours that precede it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Arven posted:

Huh. It never clicked with me until now that you can just cast a pickaxe. For some reason I thought you needed an anvil and had to smith it. That would have made things soooo much easier.

Oh yeah, molds are huge. It's in iron tier when you've got to re-anvil everything but the durability of the tools is far higher, so you don't need to do it super often.

I like to make 3-4 pickaxe molds when I'm in copper/bronze tier with massed amounts of that particular metal. It's very simple to make up 400 (or heck, I've got 10 ingot molds and 1 each of the rest of the tools so uhhh 1600?) units and pour it in, then a few hours later poof 4 new pickaxe heads.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

My biggest issue playing vintage story was the lack of travel options other than running. There's a few promising travel mods and that one guy who fully redid the movement system to include mantling and crawling and stuff. I hope they do some robust mod folding at some point, because even as a very young game there has been some really excellent modding going on.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The run to and from town with an inventory full of poo poo was pissing me off tonight but I just unlocked the tier 2 trader and got a bike and holy poo poo this will be so much easier. I like how item weight doesn't matter but if you give me inventory slots I'm going to fill them damnit.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Not sure why your zombies disappeared. They normally dont, but we are on the experimental in a20.
As opposed to just alpha.
So anything is possible.
How close was your bedroll? I usually keep it near just in case in the chaos.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

Oh I just didn't know if it was bugged because it just ended when I died, from the zombies I looted afterwards there did seem to be some decent loot so I could see if you were able to take out a bunch it might be worth it. I just had to laugh at how much time I spent preparing for it and how quickly everything went to poo poo.

I've never played single player 7 days so I dunno if respawns and such are different but that sounds like a bug. The blood moon is supposed to end at dawn. Also the first 1 or 2 blood moons seem to always be artificially weak even when we cranked up the settings. Every time we get over confidant during the easy phase and then get totally wiped on the first real one and end up moving to a new base.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nah I was stupid and logged out before the blood moon was fully over. I had a couple more waves when I logged back in. Looks like a setting governs how big the waves are and mine was set to 8 which must be the default so they weren't massive amounts of zombies.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it only gets ridiculous when you have like three friends doing horde night with you so you get 4x the horde zombies. Lots of targets to throw explosives at.

Edit: all of my gaming time has been spent playing icarus with two friends recently. It's good with friends but it took us like 3 hours this evening to build a house with all of the crafting stations, get just enough iron from one cave to make the anvil and 2 iron pickaxes (which extract more ore per hit) then loot the rest of that cave and find another and loot it. Caves have alien worms that spit poison in them so there's a little danger. The weather effects are pretty good too. There are a lot of "oh no, I'm low on water. Oh I'll just run to the water. Oh no a storm. I have to build a shelter. oh no I'm low on oxite I need to get some right now, gently caress the storm in going outside, oh no a bear" kind of survival panic moments. It is fun and definitely janky too. We want to love it. I wonder how it'll end up, since it still needs work. As it is there a hell of a lot to it. More stuff to tech up to than 7dtd by far.

redreader fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 14, 2021

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

My biggest issue playing vintage story was the lack of travel options other than running. There's a few promising travel mods and that one guy who fully redid the movement system to include mantling and crawling and stuff. I hope they do some robust mod folding at some point, because even as a very young game there has been some really excellent modding going on.

This is mine too. The massive world is cool and all, but it takes so long to explore and find anything. It took me almost 45 minutes in flying around in creative mode before I finally found some limestone, I don't even want to think how long that would have taken if I didn't fly.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Umbreon posted:

This is mine too. The massive world is cool and all, but it takes so long to explore and find anything. It took me almost 45 minutes in flying around in creative mode before I finally found some limestone, I don't even want to think how long that would have taken if I didn't fly.

There are like teleporters and poo poo apparently but I've never found one. I'm optimistic that development will continue in cool directions and excited to come back and see what's up in like a year.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OgNar posted:

Not sure why your zombies disappeared. They normally dont, but we are on the experimental in a20.
As opposed to just alpha.
So anything is possible.
How close was your bedroll? I usually keep it near just in case in the chaos.
My experience is the same, and I've seen other agrees, blood moon horde vanishes after you die and the rest of the night's quiet. I guess it's to avoid chain-killing you.

I geared up really hard for my first blood moon, made super-reinforcements, heavy doors, a kill chamber me and my friends could swing into pretty safely, and they still rolled us. It was just so, so many more zombies than we were ready for and I have no idea how we were expected to be ready for it if all the preparation we did wasn't enough.
Then for our next one we just made a single door chokepoint and all the zombies funneled to us and we just spent the entire night doing power attacks on the exact same spot and getting huge amounts of xp. It was very easy and very boring and neither kind was very fun.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

redreader posted:

It is fun and definitely janky too. We want to love it. I wonder how it'll end up, since it still needs work. As it is there a hell of a lot to it. More stuff to tech up to than 7dtd by far.

Honestly I think there is a really good shell of a game there. There are just a few questionable decisions that I'm not sure will ever be fixed because it's the type of thing that gaming masochists eat up.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The key to surviving the blood moon is understanding how zombie pathing works. Zombies always take the easiest path to get to the player, and will dig if the easiest path is digging underneath your base or walls.

Sturdy walls don't matter that much until late game when boomer zombies come into play, and it's more important just to have the weakest part of your defenses be the location where you actually want to fight the horde.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

see that stuff is what I can absolutely do without, it pushes you very hard towards exploiting the zombie pathing and building really dumb looking poo poo, also the bomb zombies are just ridiculous imo. thankfully you can disable that if you don't care for it.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I built a very solid base out of an unfinished building at a construction site. Go to the corner that's literally just a frame, put down some grated floors and walls, maybe a chest or two for ammo and healing items, and then just go to town. Start setting up more elaborate traps/fencing on the interior and perimeter, reinforce the pillars holding it up, and never sweat again. After a while I cheated up the game stage to make life harder and still didn't have an issue just mowing down hordes solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The other thing I want to say I like about icarus is that I loving LOVE the first part of survival games where you start from scratch. Well guess what. Every mission in icarus you start from scratch. Due to weather events, sometimes you'll want to build a house RIGHT NOW wherever you are and hole up. They don't take more than a couple of minutes in game but they can start fires, expose you (you start losing health and stamina), and kill you in the ice biome. I also found out that weather events can cause trees to fall on the house you are putting together after your friend burned your last house down, and fall directly on the two things (anvil and furnace) that you managed to save from the previous house, destroying them. So definitely clear trees around your house, and the brush too so that a lightning-induced fire doesn't burn your house down.

I also have a friend who seems to enjoy lighting me on fire with her torch and then saying 'oh no what happened' while I am on fire. I'm sure it's not on purpose but it's a thing that happens. This game is full of comedy of errors situations with friends, I find.

My friends and I want to figure out a minimum viable build kind of build, now that we're in tier 3 tech. Tier 1 is just like 'build a house and some crafting stations with wood and rock and maybe something else', tier 2 is that with iron and maybe copper, and tier 3 requires recipes from tier 2 to unlock this to unlock that to etc etc. Most tier 1 stuff can be crafted by hand when running around too.

You can have a small house with all the tier 1 stuff in it set up in probably half an hour with 3 people. For tier 2 you need to go mining (which is in caves only, which you have to find) and to tech to there it's more like 1.5-2 hours. So when do you go and do the mission itself? Because with some missions you could just leave straight away and go and do it after gathering some wood, food, stone and building some basic weapons.

Then there's the workshop on the space station (using currency only available from finishing missions, so the more you finish the better) that allows you to buy stuff that basically allpows you to skip progression tiers. Like you need a steel pickaxe to mine aluminium for some reason. But you could just drop with a from-the-space-station pickaxe which can already mine aluminium. I don't know how much all of the upgrades you can get, allow you to skip forward in your drop-then-mine-everything grind that you do for every mission, but I read it helps a lot.

Anyway it's a janky game that should be in alpha but it's VERY FUN TO PLAY WITH FRIENDS and I am really enjoying it.