Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

ilitarist posted:

It's well-reviewed but it's very unique gameplay. If you play strategy games that kinda look similar to this you're used to it being about knowing the systems and iron man-ing the obstacles. In this one, you're told if you haven't saved for 30 seconds. Any wrong move means death, it's like a puzzle game in that regard.

It's Commandos for the "dark souls SL1 naked broken sword no-hit runs have gotten stale and lame" crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was sure Shadow Tactics was the isometric turn-based "tactical" game that used FPS controls, but I guess I was remembering wrong? What was that, then? (I'm thinking late 1990s)

e: Remembered it just after hitting POAST. Shadow Watch and it was also a Tom Clancy game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.sega60th.com/

For the low low price of an email address, you can get a free copy of NiGHTS on Steam.

I know that's how this stuff works, but I'm always trepid about signing in to 3rd party websites via Steam. Sega's reputable, but I'm just worried one day it'll be a site that's pretending to be something reputable. (To be clear, I got my copy immediately added to my library).

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Kobal2 posted:

It's Commandos for the "dark souls SL1 naked broken sword no-hit runs have gotten stale and lame" crowd.

I thought I'm just bad at it.

I was hesitant to call it Commandos clone because most people here were probably born after the Commandos series stopped being relevant.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I know that's how this stuff works, but I'm always trepid about signing in to 3rd party websites via Steam. Sega's reputable, but I'm just worried one day it'll be a site that's pretending to be something reputable. (To be clear, I got my copy immediately added to my library).

I think it's good to be cautious and skeptical about these. Usually good protections are in place but just another reminder to always use unique passwords, 2FA (and not the SMS kind), and review all connections that's been made in the past from things like this.

Also if all you need is a throwaway email, you can use something like SimpleLogin or AnonAddy.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Whats wrong with sms 2fa?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The General posted:

A scammer will call your cell phone provider and convince them to port your number to another phone, specifically the phone in the scammers hands.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

The General posted:

Ask the POS, but IIRC you can buy SMS redirections. A russian SMS node tells verizon your phone is in siberia and verizon just trusts them.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Whenever possible try and enable 2FA through an app based token. Google's native authenticator on Android is okay enough in the sense that anything Google is providing can be "secure", but if you pay for a premium password app or VPN they may also have an authentication service and app included in your membership

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Rinkles posted:

Well, in this case, it's a promotion that's been running since October of last year lmao

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

Whenever possible try and enable 2FA through an app based token. Google's native authenticator on Android is okay enough in the sense that anything Google is providing can be "secure", but if you pay for a premium password app or VPN they may also have an authentication service and app included in your membership

I'll mention that it may not be a good thing to use one app for both passwords and token authentication in the event that it's compromised. Using separate ones will lower your risk.

Its a bit outside this thread's scope but I think it's always good to have a discussion about privacy and security when it comes up.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

So where even is the steam code or however you redeem that? I just see some free Sonic hd wallpaper pack on the Sega60 link

edit: disregard. something was cached so had to click a LOG OUT link then back in and link steam

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 13, 2021

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I use LastPass (PC password vault) and it’s Authenticator phone app on Epic and other stuff that supports it.

Not sure how well that do, but Epic didn’t ask me for password ever again. So it’s easy to auto sign in with gmail, grab free game, and sign-out/expire. :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.sega60th.com/

For the low low price of an email address, you can get a free copy of NiGHTS on Steam.

It just bugs out when prompting me for a country. Ah well.

E:

Oh nevermind, there we go. I've been wanting to try this game for years, especially for Christmas. :tipshat:

EE:

Why is this thing 2 GB. I bet they stuck some dumb HD company logo videos in there or something.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 13, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

I'll mention that it may not be a good thing to use one app for both passwords and token authentication in the event that it's compromised. Using separate ones will lower your risk.

Its a bit outside this thread's scope but I think it's always good to have a discussion about privacy and security when it comes up.

This thread's diverse range of entertaining derails is like 60% of the reason I keep it bookmarked - it's part of its charm, even. I've only ever actually played a handful of the games I've snagged because of it.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Lib and let die posted:

I've only ever actually played a handful of the games I've snagged because of it.
Somehow, I have a feeling that is an above average number of games played relative to most people here.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Turns out I already had Nights, so now I'm trying to work out if there's a way to revoke the link between Sega and my Steam.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The news article on GOG says that there'll be three more free game giveaways throughout their Winter Sale event.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Looks like 3 in Dec and 1 in Jan.
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1470414718359818249

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kobal2 posted:

Glad to hear this from someone else because when I picked it up for free on EGS I bounced off it harder than any game I played in my life. Midway through level one had me uninstall it, and I usually love tactical games

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

Glad to hear this from someone else because when I picked it up for free on EGS I bounced off it harder than any game I played in my life. Midway through level one had me uninstall it, and I usually love tactical games

Same. I keep thinking I'll give it another go, but idk.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Teledahn posted:

Somehow I have never met anyone else who knew of these games. Great to be reminded of them.
I got the G-Police demo as a pack-in with my 3dfx Voodoo 5 and the way it looked blew my tiny little mind.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

THE BAR posted:

Why is this thing 2 GB. I bet they stuck some dumb HD company logo videos in there or something.

It's an hd remaster of a game that was already 700mb in the 90s.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I'm on Day 2 of playing Godfall: Challenger Edition and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it. The combat is fun and the game is gorgeous. The end game feels like a bizarro Warframe that went all in on melee combat instead of guns, and decided nobody needs to jump. I definitely agree with opinions I've read on the elemental effects/Valorplates being too generic. I think I'll pick up the standard edition when the Christmas sale rolls around and hope they add more to the game.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I haven't played Shadow Tactics, but I played and loved the dev's next game, Desperados III (available free with GamePass), which is apparently fairly similar to this but with different theming.

It's really more of a puzzle game presented like an X-Com game, so if you approach things X-Com style then yeah you're going to have a bad time. For me, the best aspect was that the levels/puzzles are extremely open with a wide variety of solutions - you don't have to figure out precisely what the devs were thinking in order to finish the level. It was a great feeling to spend a few hours puzzling out a particular level, then go on YouTube and see the different ways other people had solved the same problems.

So if this game is similar, I'm actually pretty keen to check it out!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

ilitarist posted:

I thought I'm just bad at it.

I was hesitant to call it Commandos clone because most people here were probably born after the Commandos series stopped being relevant.

*eyes narrowing* you callin' me old, son ?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ilitarist posted:

Lol do you know what website you're on?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Yeah I played the poo poo out of the original Commandos. Just not sure I have that kind of patience anymore.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Kobal2 posted:

*eyes narrowing* you callin' me old, son ?

My exact thought. I'm (relatively) young. But I grew up loving commandos. Robin Hood was another game in that vein I sadly could never get to run on my modern PC.

In short: games good, party on Wayne.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Breetai posted:

To clarify : I don't think it's a bad game. I think it's a very good game in fact. It's just hard as balls, even for a hardened veteran of this niche kind of game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first half or so of shadow tactics and desperadoes 3 aren't that hard if you take it slow and pick away at the enemies before doing objectives. the tools you get are really powerful and versatile and the focus on quicksaves means you can experiment at your leisure. it does require a lot of patience, so it isn't for everyone. the later missions are indeed hard as balls, though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kobal2 posted:

To clarify : I don't think it's a bad game. I think it's a very good game in fact. It's just hard as balls, even for a hardened veteran of this niche kind of game.

I could tell just by looking at it that it was basically a single-solution puzzle game where the player hits quick save/load more often than the left mouse button, but any game that gets that good of reviews has my attention.

Speaking of entertaining derails, I was thinking about which game I want to see on GOG most of all. I used to say No One Lives Forever, but even moreso I want to see the complete Magic: The Gathering game from the late 90s. It will never happen because Hasbro wants people to play their BS, pay-to-win, somehow-legal-gambling Magic Arena, but I would pay £100 for that game happily. I still have my discs, but I can't get them to run.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I could tell just by looking at it that it was basically a single-solution puzzle game where the player hits quick save/load more often than the left mouse button, but any game that gets that good of reviews has my attention.

Speaking of entertaining derails, I was thinking about which game I want to see on GOG most of all. I used to say No One Lives Forever, but even moreso I want to see the complete Magic: The Gathering game from the late 90s. It will never happen because Hasbro wants people to play their BS, pay-to-win, somehow-legal-gambling Magic Arena, but I would pay £100 for that game happily. I still have my discs, but I can't get them to run.

I'm certain you must be aware of this, but for your former dream, there's always http://nolfrevival.tk/, which is damned close to what you're asking for. The site appears to exist to troll into existence the actual rightsholders for negotiation.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Has anyone come across EGS's magic list of free games for this December yet?
Or heard any mention if they are doing it again?

All I can find is a possibility of Shenmue 3 this Thursday.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 14, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

I didn't know it was with updated graphics. That's neat, potentially!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

It's also based on a Japan-only PS2 remake from 2008!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

While it recognises my 8Bitdo SNES gamepad, it really doesn't like me using it. Otherwise the game works just fine, feels good trying it out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Rayman Origins is free on Ubi's store

https://register.ubisoft.com/rayman-origins/en-US

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

JustJeff88 posted:

There are ways to get it to work. Have a look on youtube I know there's a tutorial. Forget what I did to get it running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

THE BAR posted:

While it recognises my 8Bitdo SNES gamepad, it really doesn't like me using it.

This game is not only cool but it actually has historic importance. It was the reason Sega came up with an analogue controller back in the day, which then went on to become the basis of the Dreamcast controller, which then went on to be the basis of the first Xbox controller (the Duke), and so on...

And here you are, at the tall end of 2021, trying to play Nights with a 2D controller like some sort of barbarian, SMH.