Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Golli posted:

It's like that movie "In Time" where you have to get your booster before the timer on your arm gets to zero or you get covid.

oh god I was just thinking about that lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

help how do i stop this global pandemic without negatively impacting the system which is perpetuating said pandemic????

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

:respek:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Koirhor posted:

glad to know my booster will be basically worthless in 3 weeks

Stop focusing on shots and put on a respirator.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

help how do i stop this global pandemic without negatively impacting the system which is perpetuating said pandemic????

Have you tried buying out the global pandemic?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

definitely one of my better posts

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Nocturtle posted:

Didn't appreciate this at all! That's horrifying. Beginning to think a vaccine-only strategy was a bad idea.

It was pretty gross to keep with the vaccine-only strategy once it became apparent a lot of people weren't going to get the vaccine. The answer for those people was to take everyone's masks off and make getting covid into a personal responsibility thing. "oh well they deserve what they get" is immoral and also bad public health.

Vaccine-only strategy is only getting worse as we find out about reduced VE.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

McNugget Buddy posted:

Pfizer's CEO already said a few days ago that an Omicron-specific vaccine would be a 3-dose series

TBH was thinking a little that of course the vaccine CEO would be suggesting a new 3-dose series when a booster might suffice but that was lazy thinking on my part.

To the extent that the vaccines will have any utility going-forward they'll need to be able to stimulate high production of antibodies that are apparently effective against the ancestral and heavily mutated Omicron spike. IIRC this would be like the "pan-coronavirus" vaccine, but that must be years away. Also have to hope that further evasion from these broadly neutralizing antibodies isn't possible, though seem to recall there were lab studies suggesting it was very possible.

edit:

Dren posted:

Exactly people are still talking about trying to make the vaccine-only strategy work but it's increasingly looking like that possibility truly died Nov 24, if it was ever even viable, and lots of people haven't really recognized it yet. The more honest ghouls might claim we can't do any better than vaccine mitigation and just have to hope SARS-COV-2 doesn't evolve to be worse, but nature might surprise us in how nasty it can be. Also the example of MERS is right there.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 13, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kylaer posted:

Stop focusing on shots and put on a respirator.

I have a child in school and a spouse that “had” to go back to work

I guess I’ll seal myself in the basement with the radon

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Nocturtle posted:

Ah geez, didn't appreciate this:
https://twitter.com/MerylSwanLake/status/1470377624132370434
Didn't appreciate this at all! That's horrifying. Beginning to think a vaccine-only strategy was a bad idea.

Also didn't really appreciate that if you think the vaccines really need to be updated to account for the new Omicron spike then that means another 2/3+ shot regime. Though maybe an Omicron booster would help by stimulating the production of broadly neutralizing antibodies already generated in response to the original vaccine? That would be useful, if at all possible, given that there's no reason to think Omicron or any of the other variant lineages aren't going to diverge even further from the ancestral spike.

This twitter thread really was interesting, thanks to whoever posted it.

edit:

It's transparently not. Lazy.

This seems bad

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Paradoxish posted:

I wish to both stop COVID and destroy the economy, as this combination has the highest potential to save the most lives

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

I wish to both stop COVID and destroy the economy, as this combination has the highest potential to save the most lives

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

look, the only way to save the economy is to ignore the deadly virus that keeps destroying the economy. it's very simple.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's pretty cool how probably 90% of the united states population whole heartedly believes that china is actually doing bad against the pandemic instead of the truth: their zero covid policy worked extremely well and they have effectively not had a pandemic since may of 2020

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Golli posted:

It's like that movie "In Time" where you have to get your booster before the timer on your arm gets to zero or you get covid.

Wang Commander being like

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kim Bong Chill posted:

We would have to have more death camps opened then :(

sir, ICE and the US border patrol are not controlled by China

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/pavitrarc/status/1470447735585214464

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Yes, if it was just me and my spouse we'd have no issue adapting to the new normal but with kids it becomes tricky. How can you reconcile the need for children to attend school + socialize with the reality that school attendance will essentially guarantee repeat infections and all that entails. Some of the smarter people itt have already accepted the necessity of online school for the foreseeable future but it's hard to accept.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spouse flies back across the country this week (I won't see him until next summer at best). Spouse is "comfortable" with a single-layer cloth mask. :cripes:

I have over 100 n95s right here and he could have all of them.

What is y'alls plan if they stop reporting covid numbers? How long are y'all devoted to being sane and careful if everybody stops giving you barometers?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Spouse flies back across the country this week (I won't see him until next summer at best). Spouse is "comfortable" with a single-layer cloth mask. :cripes:

What is y'alls plan if they stop reporting covid numbers? How long are y'all devoted to being sane and careful if everybody stops giving you barometers?

this isn't going away

ever

hope this helps

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

who said we are sane?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Koirhor posted:

Ah, sorry. Based on the way you phrased that, I assume your wife is trying to kill herself and you by not wearing an appropriately protective mask. Can you convince her to go N95 or better?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This is one of the scenarios I'm most concerned about, tbh

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

when nobody is around and I know no one will hear me I scream until my vocal cords give out, will probably just keep that up

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
https://mobile.twitter.com/MerylSwa...genumber%3D2790

Remembering fondly the time the GBS thread called me antivaxx for saying we can't trust our immune systems on this one. :allears:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Golli posted:

lmao thanks for reminding me of that movie, where there is a scene where they play poker for time and Justin Timberlake slowrolls the other guy even though he might loving die because he bet all his time on it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'll probably always wear a mask of some sort, I assume at some point I'll downgrade from the respirator, but when that is IDK

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Petanque posted:

Wang Commander being like

lmao

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm fully jokerified and have a crate of N95s and several half mask respirators. I am never breathing fresh air without a filter again, if only because I haven't had a sinus infection from the gulf coast pollution and pollen since early 2020.

Also :sever:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Dren posted:

This is one of the scenarios I'm most concerned about, tbh

Monica Gandhi conducted the cyberattack on the MD dept of health :tinfoil:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

this isn't going away

ever

hope this helps

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

thread mood

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ultimately the local hospitals will or will not be overrun, the excess deaths will or will not be way above what could be expected. These aren't failures you can sweep under the rug even in a sophisticated nationstate like China. The one big thing we've learned this pandemic is that America and the entire western world are not sophisticated nation-states like China.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

this isn't going away

ever

hope this helps

I think it will. I still maintain this status quo is not sustainable even as it is, and things are only going to keep getting worse as more breaks down creating cascading failures and more deadly variants evolve.
Eventually either large nations will start to literally fall apart and balkanize at best, or full Mad Max at worst, or else capital will be forced to intervene to try and protect profits. In either case, either society or the plague must end within probably another year or two. Things simply cannot continue as they are.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Crazypoops posted:

thread mood

Seriously, I've been thinking about that film constantly the last week or so

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kylaer posted:

Ah, sorry. Based on the way you phrased that, I assume your wife is trying to kill herself and you by not wearing an appropriately protective mask. Can you convince her to go N95 or better?

ya my wife is wearing n95’s because she works at the hospital (lol) in a non clincial job.

my son wears the best kf94’s I can get him for school and for the moment we have a mask mandate for schools. My son got his 2nd pfizer a week ago and my wife and I got boosted 2 months ago.

But the vaccines are becoming increasingly useless so I guess It will eventually get us and I guess that realization is just dawning on me

Best I can hope for is hanging on until Dune 2 comes out than I can go in peace or find Monica Ghandi and [REDACTED]

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I think it will. I still maintain this status quo is not sustainable even as it is, and things are only going to keep getting worse as more breaks down creating cascading failures and more deadly variants evolve.
Eventually either large nations will start to literally fall apart and balkanize at best, or full Mad Max at worst, or else capital will be forced to intervene to try and protect profits. In either case, either society or the plague must end within probably another year or two. Things simply cannot continue as they are.

Narrator:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dren posted:

It was pretty gross to keep with the vaccine-only strategy once it became apparent a lot of people weren't going to get the vaccine. The answer for those people was to take everyone's masks off and make getting covid into a personal responsibility thing. "oh well they deserve what they get" is immoral and also bad public health.

I know I am a broken record on this and have posted it many times before but I continue to be very angry that the CDC won't even just say "It's a really good idea to wear a mask" if they won't go the direction of a mandate. Just make a prominent statement that masks are a good idea and recommended. That would go an immense way towards helping people that want to wear masks but are feeling social pressure to take them off. But neither the CDC or the Biden admin are willing to even do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
You think I'm crazy? Well, listen up, there's a storm coming like nothing you've ever seen, and not a one of you is prepared for it!!!