Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

ChickenDoodle posted:

Reddit, should I cheat on my mentally ill husband while he goes in for treatment even though he told me not to? BUT I WAAAAANNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAA

No human has ever gone two months without sex. We are born having sex and we die having sex. It is known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Help my partner is a miserable void of a person I have to do basic things for that spends all their effort finding fault with me how to do I save the relationship?

I have no idea what the original concept of "love languages" was supposed to be, but it has clearly morphed into something people use to manipulate their partners into being their pets

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

.nv

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 13, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA because my son broke my wife's camera?

quote:

My wife left to go shopping for about 2 hours yesterday. During that time, evidently my son got a hold of her $850 Canon Camera and destroyed it. I wasn't even aware he did anything with it, and I was watching him pretty closely while I was also getting some cleaning/chores done around the house.

When my wife returned home, she noticed her camera in pieces and my son admitted to taking it and (inadvertently) breaking it.

She was obviously mad at him for that, no question, but she kept on screaming at me because of the fact that her camera was broken.

It's her camera, and evidently she loves it more than she loves us. Every time we go somewhere, we always have to take pictures. I always have to stop what I'm doing to take a picture when I'm in the middle of being comfortable.

My point of view? If she evidently loves that stupid camera more than us, she would protect it, no? Like, idk...place and keep it somewhere where he can't reach it. Her justification? She can't remember to hide everything from him, and it's not her fault that he just destroys everything he touches.

He has a tendency, if we keep a door open or something in the hallway, he will make a mess with lipstick, shampoo, soap, etc, so at bedtime, we lock all other doors, but keep his open.

I wouldn't tell her to "let it go," because honestly, if he destroyed something I loved (e.g., my iPhone, my car, my beats earbuds) I'd be mad too, but I wouldn't hold it against him for hours. It's just stuff, it can be replaced.

The son is 4!!!!!!!

And from the same OP in r/trueoffmychest

I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PUT MYSELF FIRST SOMETIMES.

quote:

I know about all the cliche "my kids are my world bullshit," but sometimes gently caress that.

I drive an hour one way to work for a job that honestly burns me the gently caress out, only to not even get the chance to catch my breath when I get home because my lazy twat SAHM wife can't handle her life of spending my money, screaming at the kids and crying how "I want a break" day in and day out.

I got this job to be able to support us after you sold your business. You kept on bitching on how you hated that you had to work and that I "needed to make more money" so you can stay home with the kids.

I did exactly that. You're staying home with the kids.

And you're still more miserable than ever.

When I get home, if I want to barricade myself in my room for 15 minutes by myself, that's my right.

If I want to be on the toilet and take an hour-long poo poo, that's my right.

If I want to be on my phone all night, that's my right.

Just because I have kids doesn't mean my comfort doesn't matter.

I'm sick of hearing how, not just from my wife, but from everyone, that I'm not entitled to relax just because "I made tiny humans"

I love them but I'm entitled to my comfort, and so is my wife. She needs to put her foot down too sometimes. Isolate the kids (4 and 1 by the way) so they won't get into anything they shouldn't, (or at least get your lazy-rear end mom to watch them for a few hours) and make an executive decision to allow yourself to relax.

Self-care is not selfish.

E: oh wow this guy is a loving prick

quote:

Honestly, I've come to accept that I am overwhelmingly TA.

She is, if I'm being honest.

She's a stay at home mom, so it's not like she works, too.

Anytime she's trying to get ready and my 4 year old goes up to her "makeup room" (we could have had a sizeable master bedroom that had enough for a king size bed, but she uses it for all her dresses and to do makeup), it is an inevitability that she's going to wind up screaming at him and I have to go up there and get him out.

It makes me so mad that she cares more about her vanity than she does about her kids. More importantly, not to sound selfish or to sound like I don't love my kids, but each time she starts screaming at him and demanding I come get him out of her makeup room, she's robbing me of comfort. I'm comfortable sitting after I got myself and two kids ready, and then I have to go into this warzone where she's screaming at him.

She screams at him on a DAILY BASIS. I'm not going to act high and mighty and blow smoke up your rear end and act like I don't, but I don't scream at him every day.

I lock that door when she's getting ready, but he starts banging on the door until she caves in.

THEN she has the nerve to cry how I'm "privileged" and that he doesn't bother me when I'm getting ready. First off, he doesn't do that because I take care of him and his brother (1y/o) first, put on Cocomelon or Little Baby Bum and they stay put. Once I've gotten myself ready, that's when he starts to migrate to her makeup room and chaos ensues.

I'm privileged because I know how to establish boundaries. K then.

Lmao he posts on r/mensrights as well. What a catch

teen witch fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 13, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

My uncle “”modified”” my oven and it ended up setting itself ablaze and burning most of my kitchen. Can I sue him for damages?

OP's uncle apparently owns 6 appliance stores so I imagine that all of the ovens he sells are this way

I wanna know what the "upgrades" were cause like, OK with a gas oven I can see how you could gently caress with the regulator to turn it into a bomb but if this man can really make an electric burner do this instead of just trip a breaker his genius is sorely needed at ACME

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I wanna know what the "upgrades" were cause like, OK with a gas oven I can see how you could gently caress with the regulator to turn it into a bomb but if this man can really make an electric burner do this instead of just trip a breaker his genius is sorely needed at ACME

Speedholes

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

teen witch posted:

AITA because my son broke my wife's camera?

The son is 4!!!!!!!

And from the same OP in r/trueoffmychest

I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PUT MYSELF FIRST SOMETIMES.

Just gonna assume this is a dual income couple and he also doesn't do any chores.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that guy's a real piece of poo poo but "If I want to be on the toilet and take an hour-long poo poo, that's my right" belongs in the Constitution

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Watching goons fall all over themselves and each other to talk about how much they love period sex is goofy as hell.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

More from Chauffeur boyfriend

quote:

i just dont know why she wont understand where im coming from.. we used to be insync, and now, she just doesnt have the bandwith to consider how im feeling... she just shuts me out.. and im not exactly overwhelming emotionally, i enjoy my me time, i dont really give her grief about things, im pretty chill, im just constantly asking her if she can just try to be more of a partner thats there for me, because ive been there for her for all her problems, and i feel like hers is more conditional.

i told her we have barely been physical this year, and when i try to console her she gets distant, but she relies on me for her trouble at work with family, and when i go through something... if shes in a bad mood or has bad day at work, no matter how serious my problem is, she just cant ever put me first.. its not like i want constant support, or hugs, but sometimes when your down you need your partner, and i feel like ive vocalized it, but now shes saying i keep reminding her that shes not what i need, and that shes seeing a therapist, but she seems to mainly talk about work with her, and when we talk by the time she gets don venting about her problems, theres no space for me... so maybe ive been too pissed recently and she can tell im frustrated, but i really feel like ive put her first for so long, im starting to feel like she doesnt think im worth changing for (and mind you i dont really want alot of change, just being present when i need her... and well the physical part lol )

the first 3-4 years were really perfect (not that i expected it to be that way always)... i keep thinking we can pull it back to how it was.. but as time passes, theres a kazaam that keeps building between us

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

theres a kazaam that keeps building between us

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
but as time passes, theres a kazaam that keeps building between us

efb

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Maybe her love language is being able to write coherently?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

QuarkJets posted:

My uncle “”modified”” my oven and it ended up setting itself ablaze and burning most of my kitchen. Can I sue him for damages?

OP's uncle apparently owns 6 appliance stores so I imagine that all of the ovens he sells are this way

When this baby hits 88 degrees, you're going to see some serious poo poo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It's actually the movie Shazam with Sinbad, common mistake.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't know they were making a new season of Home Improvement

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

teen witch posted:

theres a kazaam that keeps building between us

Thread title

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I have seen pizza nerds talk about how to mod their oven to get it closer to real pizza temps. Breaking the clean cycle lock so that you can open it back up at self-cleaning temperature without waiting for it to cool down, loving with the temperature probe so that the oven thinks it's colder than it actually is (or bypassing its ability to shut off the heat entirely), etc. I don't think I've ever seen one that successfully managed to ignite their kitchen but I'm sure someone out there has.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Uncle Enzo posted:

When this baby hits 88 degrees, you're going to see some serious poo poo

major lol from me

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

teen witch posted:

E: oh wow this guy is a loving prick

Wow, this was a rabbithole.

quote:

Imagine yourself, going through four years studying for a professional career.

Now imagine yourself, each time you study your rear end off, thinking you did well, getting the test back and getting anywhere between a 50 and a 70 on a regular basis.

And before you go any further, I don't have a "learning disorder."

The final straw for me was in my one class, exactly one month to go before graduation. I was confident I had gotten a 90 on a test. Nope, 68.

I knew I was going to lose my temper, but I did all the right things:

I removed myself from the classroom so I don't cause a scene.
I went to the bathroom to scream it out
While screaming it out, I was mindful to not say anything that could have been used against me, such as threatening violence.
So, after I calmed down, I made my way back to the classroom, but the door was lock. Apparently, the acoustics in that building were so bad, the whole floor hears me screaming and cursing.

THEY PUT THE WHOLE FLOOR ON LOCKDOWN.

A security guard came up and asked what had happened. He just makes note of it, and I'm on my merry way. I figure I should send an e-mail to the entire class apologizing, which I do.

The next day, Community Standards calls me about the incident the day prior. I had to meet with the Community Standards director the next Monday. We talk about it, and he lays down some sanctions for my behavior:

Essay on why that behavior is bad
Apologize to the class
Can't attend class the rest of the semester
I have to take my final in the Special Education department
That last part was the most humiliating. They treated me like I was some special needs student when I just got frustrated over a bad grade.

But it wasn't just one bad grade in isolation, it was four years of my professors systematically ripping me off, which nobody wanted to hear because I was a cisgendered heterosexual caucasian male. loving bullshit.

quote:

I went to a prestigious Private University from 2009-2013 for my Undergrad studies.

My freshman and sophomore years, this website known as CollegeACB was very prominent among college students at my uni as well as universities everywhere.

For those unaware, CollegeACB was like a burn book, but online. If you don't know what a burn book is, watch Mean Girls. This will come into play later. Pay attention

Anyway, at the same time, during my freshman and sophomore year, there was this girl in my Italian class whom I had feelings for. We were friends on Facebook and we got along IRL. I had her number because we had worked together on a project.

One day, I ask her out. I had no reason to fear that she might reject me. I did nothing wrong (and trust me, I would have stated if I did something wrong). She politely says no. I appreciated that. What I didn't appreciate, however, was the fact that she blocked me on Facebook. Uncool.

Subsequent attempts to talk to her IRL were met with the silent treatment.

Sophomore year, we had another class together, and of course, she's still being a stone cold twat to me for no reason. Mind you, I have no intent of a relationship with her anymore, I just want to bury the hatchet.

I had her number, so I bit the bullet and decided to reach out to her. I wanted to make peace. Text dialog went something like this:

Me: Hey, can I talk to you?
Her: Who is this?
Me: YQM
Her: gently caress off.
Me: Seriously, don't talk to me like that.
Her: I am not going to ask you again. Do not contact me, do not speak to me. You make me very uncomfortable and I don't care what you have to say.

OK, so no more Mr. Nice Guy.

Here's where CollegeACB comes into play:

Note: CollegeACB is an ANONYMOUS site.

I start a thread completely bashing her, calling her a psycho bitch and a 5-year-old in a 20-year-old's body.

There were some people who came to her defense, where I responded "Anyone who disagrees with me can go fall in a ditch or get shot."

It continued for a bit, culminating with me saying "If [RR] acts like such a 5-year-old, does that make [her boyfriend at the time] a pedophile?"

Bear in mind, this website is supposed to be anonymous. The day I finished my final, I get a call from the Office of Community Standards, saying how this girl is accusing me of saying all this mean poo poo on CollegeACB. How I was surmised from an anonymous website, I'll never know.

Likely, some unconstitutional means were used to trace it back to me.

But. I know I did it, and my one regret was choking under pressure so easily. I could have easily asked "what evidence do you have that I did it? None? Then I didn't do it."

When the time came to meet with the Community Standards director, I simply confessed. I got off with writing an essay because of the "threatening nature" of some of the comments, where had I not done that, I would have faced no punishment. He specifically pointed out the "fall in a ditch" comment. Dialogue was as follows:

CS: You posted "anyone who disagrees with me can go fall in a ditch or get shot." That is considered a threat of violence. Do you understand that.
Me: I personally do not perceive that as a "threat of violence." However, I 100% understand how anyone else can.
CS: That's a very mature approach to it, YQM.
Me: Now, if I were to say "If you disagree with me, I will throw you in a ditch and shoot you." then THAT I will consider a threat of violence. But...I own my actions.

I guess the discrimination comes in where she can talk to me disrespectfully, but I wasn't able to do the same. More importantly, if she were to have done what I did, she would have been considered innocent until proven guilty, while I was guilty all the way. If I told her to "gently caress off" like she did me, I would be considered an "aggressor." She talks to me like a piece of poo poo, nobody cared.

gently caress that school anyway. I should have joined the Navy and went to Community College.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Fatty posted:

Jesus loving christ how do people like this continue to exist. We are a trash species, god drat

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
There was so much more I could have posted.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

reignonyourparade posted:

From the comments the whole thing about "no it needs to be a specific apology about these things, and also I want you to text it" it really sounds like she doesn't want an apology, she wants an admission of guilt

My thought too, it reeks of manipulation like "you need to admit to this because I can't handle being accountable or responsible for my own failures"

teen witch posted:

Perhaps it’s me being insanely stressed by 10 am Monday due to work, but thinking about a souped up oven immediately ablaze is cracking me up

This is some real-life Home Improvement poo poo :lol:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
anything at waist level will be broken by the toddler

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

camoseven posted:

I have no idea what the original concept of "love languages" was supposed to be, but it has clearly morphed into something people use to manipulate their partners into being their pets

The original concept was just "People have different modes of expressing affection; you can improve communication in your relationship by figuring out how the other person tends to express themselves."

It's meant to be a tool to help you understand other people. Unfortunately, like most pop psych concepts, it's been adapted into a tool to act like an rear end in a top hat and blame it on everyone else.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

value-brand cereal posted:

WIBTA if I sued the seamstress who made my wedding dress?

quote:

Throwaway account

Long backstory super short, I'm getting married next year and could not find a gown I liked. However, I have a background in design and ended up commissioning a local seamstress to make a dress that I designed, and it's GORGEOUS. She assisted in some final tweaks, but 99.9% of the gown is my design, and we had a contract that stated I own the design. This part is important.

I "favorited" her Etsy account back when I was looking for someone to work with (and was so excited that she was local, which is why I went with her). So you can imagine my shock when I saw she had posted MY DRESS DESIGN on her site for sale by order! According to the reviews, she's sold more than one.

While I know you cannot copyright designs, we do have a legal contract that states she would not make additional dresses to sell from my design. I've spoken to a lawyer, and I would have a case because of the way it was worded. However, I'm a bit hesitant because I know you cannot technically copyright a design.

WIBTA if I went after her for this in court?

EDIT

Answers to questions I keep getting asked-

This is not a copyright issue, it is a contract law one.

I drafted the pattern.

I do not want money, I would be suing for specific performance- for her to stop selling it.

I have not spoken to her because of legal concerns. I would rather sue when she has it online and blatant than if she takes it offline

It is 100% my dress, as she’s using photos of the dress that is currently in a garment bag in my closet waiting for my wedding.

I would be sending her a C&D before a suit.

Why does it matter? From a fully financial perspective, I paid for it to be one of a kind. From an emotional perspective, the design is sentimental, plus, the dress that I have not yet worn is online for the world to see, which pisses me off.

NTA, surely? Especially if it's being sold before the actual wedding event. And assuming the OP is correct about there being a contract for it of course.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for not carrying on a tradition my family started with my stepfamily?

LISA! You're tearing this family tradition that was started only 1 generation ago apart!

NINE CHILDREN???

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The wedding dress OP is an rear end in a top hat for:
1) giving a poo poo about whether another person wears the same style of dress
2) not wanting to talk to the seamstress about it

She may legally be in the right but would still be an rear end in a top hat imo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fatty posted:

"I posted a threatening rant about this specific person ANONYMOUSLY, how could anyone possibly trace this back to me: her terminally online harasser?"

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I do think it's weird that the OP didn't even want to ask the seamstress to stop selling the dress but then again the seamstress already agreed not to but then went and did exactly that. And it's hard for me to get mad at a dress designer for not wanting people to sell/buy/wear their wedding dress, especially before they get to debut it. Is it a little egotistical? Self centered? It could be argued I guess but still hard to call them an rear end in a top hat straight up.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

Red Oktober posted:

NTA, surely? Especially if it's being sold before the actual wedding event. And assuming the OP is correct about there being a contract for it of course.

Absolutely NTA. Designing and drafting something as complex as a wedding dress is a ridiculous amount of work and anyone capable of making one knows that as well. This is straight-up theft and since this is how designers make a living, in a just world the perp would wake up sewn to their own bed with YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID embroidered on the inside of their eyelids.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Rules of Acquisition state that a contract is a contract is a contract.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

QuarkJets posted:

The wedding dress OP is an rear end in a top hat for:
1) giving a poo poo about whether another person wears the same style of dress
2) not wanting to talk to the seamstress about it

She may legally be in the right but would still be an rear end in a top hat imo

Why is she an rear end in a top hat for wanting a dress that she designed to be hers and hers alone?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

camoseven posted:

Jesus loving christ how do people like this continue to exist. We are a trash species, god drat

Do you think he got a lot of scholarships for prestigious Private University? Maybe his essays were so good that's why they always were asking him to write essays and telling him how mature he definitely was.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

greazeball posted:

Do you think he got a lot of scholarships for prestigious Private University? Maybe his essays were so good that's why they always were asking him to write essays and telling him how mature he definitely was.

Oh definitely, I bet it was a really really good essay along the lines of: "My dad went here and gives you lots of money, let in me in you stupid twats."

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

SirSamVimes posted:

Why is she an rear end in a top hat for wanting a dress that she designed to be hers and hers alone?

This, and she specifically established in writing prior to this that the dress was to be a one-off. In the OP's position, I'd go after the seamstress just on the principle that we had an agreement and she is now profiting by breaking the agreement without even proposing to share the profit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

I do think it's weird that the OP didn't even want to ask the seamstress to stop selling the dress but then again the seamstress already agreed not to but then went and did exactly that. And it's hard for me to get mad at a dress designer for not wanting people to sell/buy/wear their wedding dress, especially before they get to debut it. Is it a little egotistical? Self centered? It could be argued I guess but still hard to call them an rear end in a top hat straight up.

I think it's possible that the seamstress or the OP misinterpreted the contract. The OP acknowledged that the seamstress made some final modifications to the design. Arguably, that is a new design. So it comes down to a legal argument over the specific wording in the contract and whether it applies to the final dress design or just the dress design provided wholly by the OP, which is a stupid argument for a lot of reasons but may wind up favoring the seamstress

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 13, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Because the OP said that it was actually a collaborative work, not hers alone

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

QuarkJets posted:

Because the OP said that it was actually a collaborative work, not hers alone

If the seamstress didn't like that she couldn't sell her part of the collaboration, she should not have agreed to the contract. Agreeing and then unilaterally breaking it is basically daring the OP to go after her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eletriarnation posted:

If the seamstress didn't like that she couldn't sell her part of the collaboration, she should not have agreed to the contract. Agreeing and then unilaterally breaking it is basically daring the OP to go after her.

That's what I mean by "misinterpreted"; the seamstress or the OP may have misunderstood what the contract actually says.