Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
TERFism is particularly complicated because in the UK in particular, which is ground zero for it, TERFs are largely feminists who were once on the cutting edge of progressivism but whose views have since fossilized and who have now found their former compatriots criticizing them. They view this battle as literally an extension of their civil rights battles of the past, because they fundamentally view the movement for trans rights as a Trojan horse ideology that has been constructed to subvert or even reverse the progress achieved by feminists.

So basically a) they were the victors of the feminist struggles of yesteryear who still think of their positions with the same degree of self righteousness, and b) they’ve found themselves criticized not by their opponents on the right, but by their erstwhile allies on the left. This combines to produce a particularly strident, persistent, and loud form of bigotry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Vegetable posted:

It’s also kinda a geographical thing. TERFs, in my impression, are a more significant and prominent group in the UK than in the US.

i think its more of a solidified identity in the UK in like the public conscious or whatever but that doesn't mean those beliefs are more significant or prominent in the UK than the US.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think its more of a solidified identity in the UK in like the public conscious or whatever but that doesn't mean those beliefs are more significant or prominent in the UK than the US.

TERFism is more prominent in UK media, in that you will regularly see TERFs and their views discussed as legitimate even in “progressive” publications like the Guardian. I rarely see American news sites or journalist outlets posting the kinds of “just asking questions” pieces you see in the UK.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MeinPanzer posted:

TERFism is more prominent in UK media, in that you will regularly see TERFs and their views discussed as legitimate even in “progressive” publications like the Guardian. I rarely see American news sites or journalist outlets posting the kinds of “just asking questions” pieces you see in the UK.

oh i know im just saying I do think that people in the US are probably around the same level as transphobic its just not centered around the like, a solidified identity

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 14, 2021

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, it seems like it’s primarily a difference in media coverage rather than opinion. It seems like there’s a never ending frenzy of TERF outrage in the media over in the UK. The US obviously has gargantuan amounts of transphobia, although a lot of it isn’t specifically TERFism.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What is it about the pathology of it that drives them to never, ever shut up about it? I feel like racists can shut it off sometimes, or won’t do it unless prompted.

Domestic abuse.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Collateral posted:

Domestic abuse.

???

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He asked, the most strident are usually the victims of domestic abuse.

JK Rowling has stated that she is the victim of domestic abuse. Do you not believe her?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eggnogium posted:

What is the evidence of this? I think racist people are just racist a lot of the time. They know to keep it to themselves in public settings (or at least maintain plausible deniability) but the amount of deliberate, planned effort racists put in suggests to me it’s a firmly held belief.

To be sure, this is me just spitballing. Definitely, racist people are just racist, and when it comes to harm it doesn't matter what they "really" believe. Still, I think racism often serves an instrumental purpose, and I don't think deliberate, planned effort requires belief per se if there's some incentive.

Like, I remember when I was 12 or 13 and I became a little too wide-eyed at a joke a friend's uncle told me, which led to him pulling me aside later to shyly assure me that "he didn't really believe that stuff." Putting aside whether that was true or not, it typifies a type of reaction around that kind of poo poo I sadly got to experience more than once. Maybe my experience would be different if I lived farther in the south or deep in Indiana or whatever, but it's a very distinct behavior from what I hear from most terfs.

Or maybe this is just me comparing how people behave in person to how they behave online and I'm totally off base.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 14, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Collateral posted:

He asked, the most strident are usually the victims of domestic abuse.

JK Rowling has stated that she is the victim of domestic abuse. Do you not believe her?

I didn't know anything about her personal life so it was a really confusing post.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Graham Linehan was not abused, unless you count his many bodyings on twitter, including one from his brother-in-law (now ex-brother-in-law), which I do.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I love this weird rear end show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P77p8LSKvMc

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Graham Linehan was not abused, unless you count his many bodyings on twitter, including one from his brother-in-law (now ex-brother-in-law), which I do.

No, he is a world class poo poo stain.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

thrawn527 posted:

The right answer. Including having trouble deciding between the two.

People who post action movies that happen to take place at Christmas (Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Long Kiss Goodnight) in an effort to be different always strike me as silly. Like, I think you know what everyone is talking about, and you're impressing no one.

I, of course, mean this with love. I love Christmas movies, and action movies. But I'll watch Die Hard any time of the year. But Muppet's Christmas Carol and Scrooged is a holiday season only thing.

The problem I have with people calling Die Hard a Christmas movie, is that it misses the point of what a Christmas movie should be. Sure, Die Hard is an absolute banger of a film, all time classic. And it is set at Christmas (but it was released as a summer film, as was the sequel despite also being set at Christmas), but there's no Christmas message here.

For me, and maybe people want to disagree with me on this, a Christmas film has to have a feel-good heartwarming ending. It's a Wonderful Life is my fave Xmas film, because while it's dark and emotionally heartwrenching, the ending is a celebration of being alive and the value of having friends and loved ones who make existence bearable. 90 minutes of "everything loving sucks" followed by 20 minutes of "but it's all so, so worth it in spite of that". That's a goddamn Christmas movie.

Die Hard... well, it's a victory for Bruce Willis at the end. All I can think of is that on Xmas Day there are going to be a lot of grieving people going to identify the shot, burned, and mutilated corpses of their loved ones. Ok, so some assholes were stopped from stealing some money, and a cop learned he's okay at shooting people again, but the only really feelgood part of the ending is that Bruce didn't die and he's made up with his wife and that's not really a trade-off for all those families going in to a morgue the next day to identify their loved ones by dental records.

Again, I loving love Die Hard. But for those reasons above, it's a film I watch at any time of the year other than Xmas.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It ends with him coming home and spending time with his family. How much more Christmas is that?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

For me, and maybe people want to disagree with me on this, a Christmas film has to have a feel-good heartwarming ending. It's a Wonderful Life is my fave Xmas film, because while it's dark and emotionally heartwrenching, the ending is a celebration of being alive and the value of having friends and loved ones who make existence bearable. 90 minutes of "everything loving sucks" followed by 20 minutes of "but it's all so, so worth it in spite of that". That's a goddamn Christmas movie.

And how does Die Hard not deliver on this? Barry Diehard finds friendships with Powell and Argyle, and is able to save his marriage by growing as a person, and delivers a Christmas miracle by killing a shitload of Germans. It doesn't get any more Christmas as that.

Also, Christmas is in the summer where I live, so suck on that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Parkingtigers posted:

The problem I have with people calling Die Hard a Christmas movie, is that it misses the point of what a Christmas movie should be. Sure, Die Hard is an absolute banger of a film, all time classic. And it is set at Christmas (but it was released as a summer film, as was the sequel despite also being set at Christmas), but there's no Christmas message here.

Die Hard... well, it's a victory for Bruce Willis at the end. All I can think of is that on Xmas Day there are going to be a lot of grieving people going to identify the shot, burned, and mutilated corpses of their loved ones. Ok, so some assholes were stopped from stealing some money, and a cop learned he's okay at shooting people again, but the only really feelgood part of the ending is that Bruce didn't die and he's made up with his wife and that's not really a trade-off for all those families going in to a morgue the next day to identify their loved ones by dental records.

Again, I loving love Die Hard. But for those reasons above, it's a film I watch at any time of the year other than Xmas.

Christmas is not a time of year that makes me feel good, so when I see depictions on film of christmas that take the wind out of the tradition I enjoy myself.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

Just to note, I don't really see that poo poo in guardian.us (which is decently readable on the whole compared to nyt/wapo), but guardian.uk is absolute trash.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

MeinPanzer posted:

I mean the Atlantic has run multiple "just asking questions" type of trans panic cover stories in the past few years that are now being used by right wing movements in the US to shape anti trans legislation, particularly targeted at trans youth.

The situation isn't any better here, it's just more stratified but the overall result is the same.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

I mean the Atlantic has run multiple "just asking questions" type of trans panic cover stories in the past few years that are now being used by right wing movements in the US to shape anti trans legislation, particularly targeted at trans youth.

The situation isn't any better here, it's just more stratified but the overall result is the same.

The Atlantic has been a neocon rag for going on 2+ decades now. Funny enough, The New Republic swung right so hard in the last half century that it eventually somehow wrapped back around to being maybe progressive again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxN1T1uxQ2g

I’m ALL IN on this

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gently caress yes, I'm down for every moment of that. A24, you've done it again.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
^^^^^^^^ That looks so incredibly good.

e: New Nic Cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8VuWhvk87o

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 14, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh my god this is wonderful!!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Movie of 2022 right here.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That awkward moment when you realize it's from the guy who directed That Awkward Moment.
But hey ill prolly get high and watch it on streaming. Looks funnish. Hell of a premise tho.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

lmfao, A24's merch game is insane

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Best multiverse movie of 2022

Amazing

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Looks like a mess, a glorious post modernist mess.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wow, I know it's so early to say this of just a trailer, but this looks like it could be one of my favorite films of all time. It just hits every button for me.

LOL, Gizmodo thought the exact same thing as me:
https://gizmodo.com/enter-the-michelle-yeoh-verse-in-the-awesome-everything-1848208200

quote:

Sometimes you watch a trailer and just know you are seeing something special. Like this might be the first glimpse of a film you’re likely to cherish for the rest of your life. Those instincts are not always right, but the trailer for Everything Everywhere All at Once gives off those vibes. You are not ready for its magic. We weren’t.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 14, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why is there an actor named Amanda in the cast of this movie? I don’t know if this is the direction I want actor names to go in. Just get your fake name out of a 70s comic book and have a fake first and last name.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s from the guys who did Swiss Army Man which y’all should totally watch if you haven’t.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

To be sure, this is me just spitballing. Definitely, racist people are just racist, and when it comes to harm it doesn't matter what they "really" believe. Still, I think racism often serves an instrumental purpose, and I don't think deliberate, planned effort requires belief per se if there's some incentive.

Like, I remember when I was 12 or 13 and I became a little too wide-eyed at a joke a friend's uncle told me, which led to him pulling me aside later to shyly assure me that "he didn't really believe that stuff." Putting aside whether that was true or not, it typifies a type of reaction around that kind of poo poo I sadly got to experience more than once. Maybe my experience would be different if I lived farther in the south or deep in Indiana or whatever, but it's a very distinct behavior from what I hear from most terfs.

Or maybe this is just me comparing how people behave in person to how they behave online and I'm totally off base.

Someone's parents legitimately believed I had blue blood as a black kid, then was astounded that it was in fact red. People are that dumb and awful

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

I'm not saying the US is better on trans issues; I definitely think it isn't. But TERFism is promulgated within the UK media sphere on much greater level than in the US. Just look at this recent article published by the BBC, entitled "'We're being pressured into sex by some trans women'."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-57853385

I haven't seen anything comparably vitriolic from a comparable "centrist" US media source. This also gets at another difference: in the US, popular transphobic stories focus predominantly on sports teams and bathrooms, but in the UK you also get the whole bizarre "the trans agenda is the first wave of a lesbian genocide" schtick and related angles as well.

The question was why TERF mouthpieces, who are predominantly UK based, are so loud and persistent in their messaging, and the answer is at least in part that they've been given access to some pretty sizable soapboxes in the UK media that span the ideological spectrum in a way that they haven't in the US.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

had to punch out mid-way because I want to go in as fresh as possible. gently caress YES

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm not saying the US is better on trans issues; I definitely think it isn't. But TERFism is promulgated within the UK media sphere on much greater level than in the US. Just look at this recent article published by the BBC, entitled "'We're being pressured into sex by some trans women'."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-57853385

I haven't seen anything comparably vitriolic from a comparable "centrist" US media source. This also gets at another difference: in the US, popular transphobic stories focus predominantly on sports teams and bathrooms, but in the UK you also get the whole bizarre "the trans agenda is the first wave of a lesbian genocide" schtick and related angles as well.

The question was why TERF mouthpieces, who are predominantly UK based, are so loud and persistent in their messaging, and the answer is at least in part that they've been given access to some pretty sizable soapboxes in the UK media that span the ideological spectrum in a way that they haven't in the US.

There are a lot of poo poo stirrers who are in a feeding frenzy using genuinely traumatised/marginalised people to further/attack whatever agenda is dejure this week. Parasitic bastards. The UK media is a midden.

Drama productions are mostly cool tho.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DanTheFryingPan posted:

^^^^^^^^ That looks so incredibly good.

e: New Nic Cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8VuWhvk87o

Fun fact Nic Cage passed on my brother's script about two screenwriters who kidnap Nic Cage played by Nic Cage who then ends up on their side in the chaos and then afterwards used the best moments in his script to re-write this one which rips it off. It happens all the time but it's wild.

Just in case you think I'm full of poo poo they did a live read during the pandemic with a collection of fairly famous people and Nic Cage passed on the live read at the last minute.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Will they get any credit?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah this seems like a matter for the WGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

no it's not even the first time this has happened to him he wrote a screenplay for Vinnie Jones about a Bond type that has been galavanting around the world and sewing his wild oats and then it comes back to bite him when he finds out he has a daughter who is entering the spy game right as he's trying to get out. Vinnie was attached to it and then this got fast-tracked from one of the studios he pitched it to:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8242084/

Removed any father daughter stuff but kept some of the better moments.