Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Rainbow Knight posted:

could you tell us more about this "secession" thing though?

Step one: sieze control of the nukes at Vandenberg and irradiate the 5, 10, and 80 at the border (skip the 5 if Oregon and Mexico agree to treaties first)
Step two: make Tulare Lake blue again
Step three: hydroelectric dam across the Golden Gate

Elect Bear for AG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CPColin posted:

Step one: sieze control of the nukes at Vandenberg and irradiate the 5, 10, and 80 at the border (skip the 5 if Oregon and Mexico agree to treaties first)

Elect Bear for AG

Also seize Reno because I mean California already funds half Nevada's gdp by patronizing this area

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We take every state that the Colorado river touches or else we cutoff the avocado supply

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Weembles posted:

It isn't a monorail - they extended the existing light rail system up the I-5 corrdor.

It's kind of a mixed bag. It connects UCSD, a couple hospitals, and a mall with downtown and the rest of the trolley network, but all of the intermediate stations are just parking lots along the freeway with little to no pedestrian or bicycle access.

Ridership on the new Blue Line was up substantially on the opening weekend. While there is still a lot of improvement, connecting UCSD to transit is a big move and hopefully SANDAG will be able to do more moving forward.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...nsion?_amp=true

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

CPColin posted:

Elect Bear for AG

:hmmyes: sounds good I'm in.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Glumslinger posted:

We take every state that the Colorado river touches or else we cutoff the avocado supply

loving libs getting their fat from avocados

I get my fat from porks rear end like a real man

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Anza Borrego posted:

Ridership on the new Blue Line was up substantially on the opening weekend. While there is still a lot of improvement, connecting UCSD to transit is a big move and hopefully SANDAG will be able to do more moving forward.

That's why I said it was a mixed bag. Connecting the school is nice, but the rest of the project highlights just how much of transit policy in the city is still built around constructing new park-and-ride lots.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

loving libs getting their fat from avocados

I get my fat from porks rear end like a real man

I can already imagine a group with signs picketing and chanting "Lard on toast! Lard on toast! Lard on toast!".

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

It turns out my local cops are, in fact, bastards:
California attorney general to investigate Torrance Police after racist text scandal

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Anza Borrego posted:

Blue Line loving rules, I can ride between my workplace and most places within the county within about 40 minutes.

San Diego having functional public transit is kinda mindblowing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Blue Line is a modern miracle in urban planning. SoCal doesn't count its blessings enough for its Metro system.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
I'm curious if most of the state will actually adhere to the new mandate. Folks in Southern California outside of LA seem to not really give a poo poo about face coverings at this point.

https://twitter.com/emily_hoeven/status/1470508377948123136

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

You'll see halfhearted or cursory adherence in urban areas and no adherence everywhere else.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The Blue Line is a modern miracle in urban planning. SoCal doesn't count its blessings enough for its Metro system.

I remember growing up in LA wondering why we couldn't have an awesome subway system like the BART and now living in the Bay Area I'm wondering why we cant have an awesome subway expansion like LA.

The stuff they are doing and have on the books is really remarkable, assuming they dont gently caress up and pick the monorail option, the Sepulveda line is gonna be revolutionary for the city

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
at least in my area, masks are just part of the service sector caste uniform at this point

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

You'll see halfhearted or cursory adherence in urban areas and no adherence everywhere else.
Mendocino County's been under mandatory masks since mid-August, and when I go shopping all the people I see in stores are masked (a few under the nose, sigh) and most of the people on the streets.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

That's heartening, but it seems like every time I go out I see less and less people bothering. Maybe the new variant will panic people enough that that will change, but I'm not hopeful.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Glumslinger posted:

I remember growing up in LA wondering why we couldn't have an awesome subway system like the BART and now living in the Bay Area I'm wondering why we cant have an awesome subway expansion like LA.

The stuff they are doing and have on the books is really remarkable, assuming they dont gently caress up and pick the monorail option, the Sepulveda line is gonna be revolutionary for the city

They're going to gently caress it up.

But yeah it could be cool.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In San Mateo/Santa Clara county, everyone in the stores is wearing masks. You'll occasionally see someone dicknosing but even that's unusual.

Santa Clara is at 90% fully vaxxed for age 12+. That's getting close to herd immunity territory.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Wicked Them Beats posted:

That's heartening, but it seems like every time I go out I see less and less people bothering. Maybe the new variant will panic people enough that that will change, but I'm not hopeful.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same about this. I noticed that there were pretty large regional differences with mask wearing from by experience too. I moved from Sacramento to San Diego in May and people from Sacramento took COVID-19 precautions much more seriously on average.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah everybody is wearing masks indoors in San Jose, there was a guy who walked into Starbucks without a mask last week and he immediately had three other people telling him to put one on before an employee even noticed him. Was the first time in a long time I saw somebody try it.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'm probably on the flippant side, but I am fully vaccinated and boostered, and so is everyone in my household and extended family outside the house. We still maintain social distance when we're out, and always have masks with us, and we're happy to put them on if a store/business/restaurant asks (or has a sign asking), but it seems performative to put one on at the door to a restaurant, walk to your table, and take it off for an hour when your water gets there.

We're kind of in the grey area between lockdowns and mask mandates at the moment, with the levels of vaccination and degree to which people are staying home and getting tested if they feel sick, it's hard to know what the actual risk is.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Bodhidharma posted:

I'm curious if most of the state will actually adhere to the new mandate. Folks in Southern California outside of LA seem to not really give a poo poo about face coverings at this point.

https://twitter.com/emily_hoeven/status/1470508377948123136
It's interesting here on the Sacramento/Placer county border. Even though both are suburban hellscapes mixed with box store retail, the divide is sharp.
Almost everywhere I've been in Sac county sans Orangevale has high mask rates. If I cross the street into Placer county I get dirty looks from soccer mom's.

I really think Kirk Uhlers anti-mask rhetoric and defiance as a county board member has a lot to do with it. From day 1, placer county has made it clear they won't enforce anything.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah out here in El dorado it's already impossible to make anything happen without the cops or the supervisor board enforcing it, and the only thing they enforced was stopping people setting anti mask policies. and only that happened because it would be bad publicity, probably.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Infinite Karma posted:

it seems performative to put one on at the door to a restaurant, walk to your table, and take it off for an hour when your water gets there.
It is a bit, but it's also at the point where not wearing it when interacting with people is just a red flag.

So sure, I'll put my mask back on if I have to get up and get a refill, go to the can, etc.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah out here in El dorado it's already impossible to make anything happen without the cops or the supervisor board enforcing it, and the only thing they enforced was stopping people setting anti mask policies. and only that happened because it would be bad publicity, probably.
How stark the divide is on these county levels really demonstrates the power that all these Trumpets winning elections can actually have.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eSporks posted:

How stark the divide is on these county levels really demonstrates the power that all these Trumpets winning elections can actually have.

i guess. I don't know about placer county but out here it's more that the same eternally re-election winning land barons want to collect as much tax as possible while spending as little as possible unless it's on their cousins engineering company that builds all the roads despite county DoT having the equipment and people to do it. enforcing mask mandates would cost money, so they don't. they're technically Republicans but like most Cali republicans (and democrats) they're basically neutral and only exist to prevent the government doing anything

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, Placer ain't gonna do poo poo as far as enforcing goes. As usual.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I can confirm in orange county it's like 33% of people wear masks outdoors and in stores. I wear mine but at least in supermarkets it's all about whether or not stores will enforce mask policies. most of the commercials on store radios are "please consider wearing a mask of its not to much trouble thx" so it's kinda a wash. we're doomed until all the unvaccinated people manage to get themselves killed on the way to running everyone else's lives imo

e: posted at a gas station whilst heading to the supermarket. minutes later almost forgot my mask on the way in :cripes:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 14, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's never going to be a truly effective mask mandate so long as we keep deciding that we need to have minimum wage service workers enforce it lol. i barely get paid enough to say hello, I'm not gonna endure arguing with people about masks lol.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

eSporks posted:

It's interesting here on the Sacramento/Placer county border. Even though both are suburban hellscapes mixed with box store retail, the divide is sharp.
Almost everywhere I've been in Sac county sans Orangevale has high mask rates. If I cross the street into Placer county I get dirty looks from soccer mom's.

I really think Kirk Uhlers anti-mask rhetoric and defiance as a county board member has a lot to do with it. From day 1, placer county has made it clear they won't enforce anything.

the closer to the mega-churches you get the dumber the people get

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rainbow Knight posted:

I can confirm in orange county it's like 33% of people wear masks outdoors and in stores. I wear mine but at least in supermarkets it's all about whether or not stores will enforce mask policies. most of the commercials on store radios are "please consider wearing a mask of its not to much trouble thx" so it's kinda a wash. we're doomed until all the unvaccinated people manage to get themselves killed on the way to running everyone else's lives imo

I was in a San Francisco Target on Friday. The overhead announcer has, as part of its regular loop, "If you prefer not to wear a mask, we invite you to choose our safe, contactless shopping options." Then to Trader Joe's, and both places were 100% masked, customers and staff both. I've seen TJ's staff stop customer coming in unmasked, good on them.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The thing I find interesting about Placer is that all of the population density is in Roseville and Rocklin suburbs which are essentially Sacramento suburbs.
Those two cities vote primarily blue and have much more in common demographic wise with Sac county than the rest of Placer county.

As a county, it's incredibly purple, but just barely skews red.

I paid a lot of attention to the county board meetings early during covid. The Dems all wanted to enforce things, but we're frustrated they weren't getting more support from the state level, or from Sac.
The Republicans, and especially Kirk Uhler, went full blown anti-mask, anti-vax and it wouldn't surprise me if he's on the Qanon train now.

They effectively shut down any attempt to enforce anything, or even communicate policy to the community, and really set the tone for the county. They forced the county health official to resign, and at one point stopped tracking case numbers.

I just find it interesting that demographically Roseville and Citrus Heights are nearly identical, but Roseville is Placer and Citrus Heights is Sacramento. The amount of mask wearing from both businesses and people is absolutely night and day once you cross the street.

To me, it just kinda demonstrates people don't have as much individual agency as we think they do. That messaging is wildly important and influential to people's attitudes.

Keyser_Soze posted:

the closer to the mega-churches you get the dumber the people get
This too, Roseville has several and one of them has been staying open the entire time.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Roseville is a retirement home anyway so really placer county supervisors are doing us all a favor. maybe when they all die, some of the banks and inheritors won't sell them to Blackstone!

DownTheWell
Apr 19, 2007

Prosecute
Living in LA has been interesting over the last few months. At this point, it feel like it’s been one of the last bastions of public masking, but I’ve seen an ever-increasing number of people ignoring or disregarding the indoor mask requirements.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rainbow Knight posted:

e: posted at a gas station whilst heading to the supermarket. minutes later almost forgot my mask on the way in :cripes:

There's no way for all unvaccinated people to die of COVID that doesn't take at least as many vaccinated people with them. We have to share those hospitals.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
At this point it looks like the equilibrium policy is, or should be at any rate: vaccines mandated everywhere, periodic boosters, and masks mandated wherever practical and enforceable. Otherwise just open poo poo up. Zero Covid isn’t happening and countries with far greater state capacity in terms of the welfare state haven’t been able to pull it off either.

Absent a variant that vaccines are totally powerless against, there isn’t going to be another lockdown.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There's no way for all unvaccinated people to die of COVID that doesn't take at least as many vaccinated people with them. We have to share those hospitals.
Yeah, unvaccinated people that are hospitalized reduce the care that people are getting for car accidents, heart attacks, cancer, etc. it doesn't necessarily effect outcomes at low levels but during a covid surge?

Fill Baptismal posted:

At this point it looks like the equilibrium policy is, or should be at any rate: vaccines mandated everywhere, periodic boosters, and masks mandated wherever practical and enforceable. Otherwise just open poo poo up. Zero Covid isn’t happening and countries with far greater state capacity in terms of the welfare state haven’t been able to pull it off either.
At this point, only China and Cuba have been able to keep Zero Covid, US never tried for it though.

fermun fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 14, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and we're never gonna try, lol. unless california decides to do some insane poo poo like deploy the national guard to hold people down and make them stay home. but we've already seen that 400 IQ brain genius Newsom will just scold people on the news a few times and then end the mask mandate after 3 days because a newspaper called him a loser.

meanwhile the feds will probably continue to do nothing but blow hot air while cutting covid stuff and blaming the poor for the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 14, 2021